Question

Sep 8, 2007 at 7:07 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I'm darn sorry if the answer to this is obvious or mentioned in the game or if this has been asked by some freakin noob like me before, but i wanna know what was the point in destroying the core in the end. I mean, the doctor was (apparently) dead, and that was quote's mission. How on earth then did the core crop up in the picture?

Theories and facts needed guys. Best argument wins a kiss.

Sep 8, 2007 at 7:21 PM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
It wasn't just the doctor, it was the whole line of evil madmen who had the crown. Kazuma's Idea was to blow up the whole island, and hopefully the crown would be gone forever. Also, Kazuma suggests that killing the core would turn the Mimigas back (why? I don't know.)

Kazuma: You know, there's one other way one might return the Mimigas to their natural state.
Kazuma: You could destroy the island's core.
Kazuma: Well, now the world ought to be free from any future incarnations of the Doctor.
Kazuma: Peace has been preserved!
Kazuma: Now, let's go home. (corny much?)

Sep 9, 2007 at 11:04 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
i dont want to say anything just in case i win the prize :D
(assuming your a guy)

Sep 9, 2007 at 3:25 PM
Respwnt
xristosx said:
i dont want to say anything just in case i win the prize :D
(assuming your a guy)
Never said I was the one who delivers the prize.

@Atravir : Hmm... I missed that one. But the Mimigas were killed when the island crashed, didn't they? So what was the point in blowing up the island anyway?

Sep 9, 2007 at 7:58 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
The purpose in destroying the Core is to foil the Doctors plans of using the island as a floating fortress from which to assault the earth. While destroying the Doctor was Quote's initial goal (or the core, either works), he still had to save Sue, and so he continued into the Black Space, finding Misery and the Core there. Misery offered him Sue if he would leave the island in peace, but the Doctor, empowered by the Red Crystal, possessed the Core and forced Quote to destroy it, forever ending the Doctor.

Sep 9, 2007 at 11:49 PM
Guy with Sword
But the Mimigas were killed when the island crashed, didn't they? So what was the point in blowing up the island anyway?

But did the Mimigas all die? Look closer...
All of the Mimigas are captured and put in the plantation or the jails. Right before you get on the rocket, notice that all of the Shovel Brigade nor the prisoners are gone (except for Zett and Mahin, but I guess no one cares about them). Momorin even says:

Momorin: The Mimigas are gone from the plantation.
...in other words, he may be already using the red flowers.

The only Mimigas left are either mutated, or the ones in the cages in the throne room, although when you leave after beating the undead core, they are gone as well. For even more proof, when the cinematic shows the various places on the island, you never once see a Mimiga.

Sep 11, 2007 at 1:38 AM
Respwnt
Atravir said:
But did the Mimigas all die? Look closer...
All of the Mimigas are captured and put in the plantation or the jails. Right before you get on the rocket, notice that all of the Shovel Brigade nor the prisoners are gone (except for Zett and Mahin, but I guess no one cares about them). Momorin even says:

The only Mimigas left are either mutated, or the ones in the cages in the throne room, although when you leave after beating the undead core, they are gone as well. For even more proof, when the cinematic shows the various places on the island, you never once see a Mimiga.
Hm... point. Maybe Momo and itoh took em away. But it's still not explained why curly doesn't survive if the mimgas do in the normal ending.

Sep 11, 2007 at 7:00 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Atravir said:

You fight some enraged Mimigas on the Balcony before facing off with Misery and Doc.

Watching the good ending again, the only Mimigas it shows are Chaco and Santa with Momorin, Sue, Itoh, and Kazuma. Perhaps Momorin and Itoh flew them to safety after all?

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:25 PM
Guy with Sword
Somehow curly ends up in hell. No idea how, but for all intensive purpose we can assume she got there by accident. No one except for Quote really knows who she is, so no one probably went out to rescue her.

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Atravir said:
Somehow curly ends up in hell. No idea how, but for all intensive purpose we can assume she got there by accident. No one except for Quote really knows who she is, so no one probably went out to rescue her.
She went though Sacred Grounds from the throne room to reach Balcony. She wouldn't be able to get through the gauntlet and she won't be able to borrow the rocket from Itoh and Moromin since they don't know her (would you lend your rocket to a stranger), so Sacred Grounds was her only option for getting to Balcony.

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:42 AM
Guy with Sword
...and she couldn't get past the giant column of spikes that is floor1?

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:53 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Atravir said:
...and she couldn't get past the giant column of spikes that is floor1?
Yep! That's it. Then she was overwhelmed by the vast numbers of Bute and Mesa while searching for another exit.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:18 AM
"Huzzah!"
Hehe, nice theories about Curly! It's a bit of a mystery *how* she got to Sacred Grounds anyhow (without Heavy Press's assistance), but oh well. As Pixel would say (misquoted as always), "It's up to the player." :D

Oh, and what about Megane? Why does nobody ever remember the little geeky guy with the glasses? ;P
Hmm... theory about his sprite: I think he's holding a gameboy or something in his hands, from the looks of it. He doesn't seem to interested in the sprinklers anyhow. Wouldn't it be funny if he's playing a pirated copy of the PSP version of Cave Story? Hehe, paradoxical.

Oh, and remember, in the normal (easy) ending, Curly gets locked inside the Core room anyhow, and there's no going back (ouch!), so that's why she never makes it out. Interesting, eh?

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Xaser said:
Hehe, nice theories about Curly! It's a bit of a mystery *how* she got to Sacred Grounds anyhow (without Heavy Press's assistance), but oh well. As Pixel would say (misquoted as always), "It's up to the player." :D

Oh, and what about Megane? Why does nobody ever remember the little geeky guy with the glasses? ;P
Hmm... theory about his sprite: I think he's holding a gameboy or something in his hands, from the looks of it. He doesn't seem to interested in the sprinklers anyhow. Wouldn't it be funny if he's playing a pirated copy of the PSP version of Cave Story? Hehe, paradoxical.

Oh, and remember, in the normal (easy) ending, Curly gets locked inside the Core room anyhow, and there's no going back (ouch!), so that's why she never makes it out. Interesting, eh?
1. Curly probably got there when there were no Bute there, and Heavy Press won't hurt you if you leave it where it is, whereas Quote took the fast easy option because he was overwhelmed with enemies. This would mean that curly may have found a gap or something that Quote didn't have the time for, plus NPCs can do many unexplainable things, like how a villager can walk from one town to another in an JRPG without getting attacked by monsters.

2. I think he is playing his game, now that's a paradox.

3. Even air tanks have limits, what I am wondering is what happens to Curly after she is left behind on the bed in the waterway.

Sep 13, 2007 at 9:53 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
And how do you expect Curly jumped from B3 to B2?

EDIT: Kinda figured out how she got past passage. She used the net things thru wich butes fly in.
She probably climbed or something.

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:29 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Atravir said:
It's kinda like in the Labrynth. It's not explained, but somehow in the timespan of about 5 minutes for the average gamer, Curly wound up in a later section of the Labrynth and was hurt. Badly.
The Core was keeping the island afloat, so by destroying it, with the Doctor and Demon Crown in it, it would wipe out the crown as well. Unless it's indestructable, in that case...it was just to kill the Doctor.

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:33 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Darken Wolf said:
It's kinda like in the Labrynth. It's not explained, but somehow in the timespan of about 5 minutes for the average gamer, Curly wound up in a later section of the Labrynth and was hurt. Badly.
It was explained. Curly tried to defend the Korons from the doctor and failed, Misery sent her to the Labyrinth like she did for Quote.

Sep 14, 2007 at 3:11 AM
Guy with Sword
You never do see the Korons again, do you? And Curly completely forgets about them by the end of the special ending.