OrgMaker 2.1.0 - English translation in progress

Aug 10, 2014 at 6:06 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Update 2014-08-30:

I'm done. org210x.zip

Update 2014-08-30 21:19 (-0500): Changed "Vibrato" to "Tremolo decay".
Update 2014-09-13: In the Space Remaining dialog, restored the OK button to the beginning of the tab order, to prevent the useless highlighting of the first number.
Update 2014-09-20: Corrected "File not accessable." to "File not accessible."
Update 2016-03-04: Starting a blank file will now use Cave Story drums by default. (Also rearranged the txt and drums.htm documents.)

I've started translating OrgMaker 2.1.0 to English. Here's my current progress:

orgmaker-2.1.0-english.zip
  • Menus: Translated. However, I may revise some of the translations, so be aware the menu Alt letters may change.
  • Dialogs: Mostly translated. Some items require a hex editor. (The title bars for the Open, Save, and Export dialogs, the file type drop down boxes, the default title and copyright in the Export dialog, the Grid Display listbox.) I don't yet know why the Instrument dialog track names are wierd. They're supposed to be 1 to 8 and Q to I with [ ] around the list you last clicked.
  • Update 2014-08-12: Swapped certain drum sounds so they sound the same as OrgMaker 1.3.4 and 2.0.5x (Xaser's swaps). Also added the original Per01 sound from OrgMaker 1.3.4. In the About box, added "x" to the version number to indicate the drums are like Xaser's swaps.
  • Update 2014-08-16: No additional English translation, but made some temporary patches to fix bugs present in the original Japanese version:
    1. Selecting Recent File slot 0 now works.
    2. Pressing the "skip to beginning" button during playback now stops the playback. (But, occasionally, the displayed measure and step numbers might not both reset to zero.)
  • Update 2014-08-21: Translated the items requiring a hex editor, except for the Quick Help. (The Instrument dialog track names -- with and without brackets -- were stored as wide characters, changed them to ASCII characters.) Translated the version information and hidden string table message.
  • Update 2014-08-24: Changed all dialog boxes to use the font MS Sans Serif. Resized various dialog items, including the entire Insturments dialog. Changed some menu Alt letters. I'm making progress on the Quick Help translation, but nothing is inserted into the executable yet.
  • Update 2014-08-30: Finished Quick Help, inserted it, removed the CR insertion routine. The size reserved for the Quick Help text was already adequate (whew!). Wrote a readme document and information about drum compatibility.
  • Update 2014-08-30 21:19 (-0500): Changed "Vibrato" to "Tremolo decay".
  • Update 2014-09-13: In the Space Remaining dialog, restored the OK button to the beginning of the tab order, to prevent the useless highlighting of the first number.
  • Update 2014-09-20: Corrected "File not accessable." to "File not accessible."
  • Update 2016-03-04: Starting a blank file will now use Cave Story drums by default. (Also rearranged the txt and drums.htm documents.)
To Do:
  • Translate remaining dialog items, message boxes, status messages, main window title bar. (These items require hex editing to change.)
  • Translate Quick Help. (Status 2014-08-24: In progress, but nothing inserted into the executable yet.)
  • Translate the embedded version information and hidden string table message.
  • Investigate the new drums and see if I can get existing ORG files to sound the same in this version as in previous English versions.
  • Decide if I should resize the dialog boxes to use a font commonly available on English systems (lots of resizing work), or require you have the "MS PGothic" and "MS Gothic" fonts to make things look the right sizes (you might have to find the font on your Windows CD or elsewhere and install it). [Rxo Inverse designed the dialog boxes to use the font "MS PGothic" and "MS Gothic" for the Quick Help. I think these are standard system fonts on Japanese systems.]
Let me know if you notice anything corrupted, and I'll check if I need to use another resource editor. Revised 2014-08-24: If you notice any problems, please run the original Japanese version, then the English version. This will help identify if the problem is in the original Japanese, or introduced by my translation and bugfixing work.

Reminder: I haven't studied Japanese in a class. To translate, I'm mainly using Google Translate (breaking and joining words to help parse the syntax) and web searches (for a few words Google Translate doesn't know). If anyone is interested in translating or checking the translation, I'd be excited to discuss that further.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Great, it's good to see that there's already someone working on an English translation for the new version. This looks like a good start.

Bavi_H said:
[I need to] Investigate the new drums and see if I can get existing ORG files to sound the same in this version as in previous English versions.
That should be quite easy. I opened up the EXEs of both this version and the previous version of Orgmaker in Resource Hacker and I was able to access the wave files for the drum sounds. So it should be a simple matter of replacing certain drums in the new Orgmaker with their 205 counterparts. Just in case you don't already know, the drums Cave Story uses are Bass 1, Snare 1, HiClose, HiOpen, Tom1, and Per1.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Mind if I stick this one on the site?

Bavi_H said:
Investigate the new drums and see if I can get existing ORG files to sound the same in this version as in previous English versions.
This is going to be Per1 all over again isn't it?

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:31 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
HaydenStudios said:
That should be quite easy. I opened up the EXEs of both this version and the previous version of Orgmaker in Resource Hacker and I was able to access the wave files for the drum sounds. So it should be a simple matter of replacing certain drums in the new Orgmaker with their 205 counterparts.
It looks easy, but when I try to replace or rename the wave resources using a few different resource editors it either causes the program to crash when I select the drums I changed, or it corrupts other resources (icons and graphics go missing). Very frustrating.

Last time, when I improved Xaser's translation of OrgMaker 2.0.5, I originally started my work by modifying the Japanese version. But when I couldn't edit the drums, I started over from the beginning by modifying Xaser's version. I'm not sure how Xaser successfully swapped the drum sounds.

andwhyisit said:
This is going to be Per1 all over again isn't it?
Well, Per01 is a similar problem (it sounds different in OrgMaker 2). But I'm talking about the sound swaps Bass01/Bass04, Snare01/Snare03, Tom01/Tom03, HiClose/HiClose02, and HiOpen/HiOpen02. To help everyone understand what I'm talking about, you can try this:

Open OrgMaker 1.3.4, OrgMaker 2.0.5 Japanese, and OrgMaker 2.0.5 English. In all three, go to the Instruments screen. Now you can switch between them and click on the drum names to compare how they sound.

Compare the following:

OrgMaker 1.3.4 Bass01
OrgMaker 2.0.5 Japanese Bass01 (Rxo Inverse put a new sound under this name)

OrgMaker 1.3.4 Bass01
OrgMaker 2.0.5 Japanese Bass04 (Rxo Inverse put the original Bass01 sound here)

OrgMaker 1.3.4 Bass01
OrgMaker 2.0.5 English Bass01 (Xaser put the original sound back under the original name)

OrgMaker 1.3.4 Bass01
OrgMaker 2.0.5 English Bass04 (Xaser put the new sound here)

If you look in orgmaker-sound-comparisons.zip -> "Drum comparisons.html", the dark orange sounds show the new sounds Rxo Inverse put in existing names and Xaser switched back out. (In that document, the numbers are just made up "sound numbers" I used to show what sounds the same, they aren't used anywhere by OrgMaker. And I ignored the Per01 difference in this table.)

I'm guessing Xaser somehow found a way to swap existing resource names in the executable, but had problems replacing resource data, so we had to settle for the incorrect Per01.

andwhyisit said:
Mind if I stick this one on the site?
I was hoping I (or anyone else?) could swap the drum sounds before making it more widely public. If you do put it on the site now, you might want to note the drum sounds are swapped around, and may want to keep the English 2.0.5 version available so people can play existing (OrgMaker 2.0.5 English - composed) ORG files and have them sound as intended.

Another potential problem to note: If you use the drums new to OrgMaker 2.1.0, the file header is still "Org-03", so OrgMaker 2.0.5 will open it, but crash when it tries to play the new drums.

Update 2014-08-12:

I found some example code to update resources: Updating Resources (msdn.microsoft.com). I was able to use this code to swap the drums sounds I described above. I also added the original Per01 sound from OrgMaker 1.3.4. In the About box, I added "x" to the end of the version number to indicate the drums are like Xaser's swaps in OrgMaker 2.0.5. The updated progress is available at the same link, see the first post.

andwhyisit, I now have no reservations, feel free to post it on the site if you want to. Be aware I'm continuing to translate items, so you may also want to post a final version once I've got everything translated.

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I want to give you a big thanks for translating it. I'm really enjoying the update so far, and it seems that I'll be using this over the previous version for making more orgs. I'm just now noticing this one flaw with the update where you can't click the 'Back to Start' button while a song is playing or you have to exit out. It's a shame, but probably entirely out of your control.
Bavi_H said:
Decide if I should resize the dialog boxes to use a font commonly available on English systems (lots of resizing work), or require you have the "MS PGothic" and "MS Gothic" fonts to make things look the right sizes (you might have to find the font on your Windows CD or elsewhere and install it). [Rxo Inverse designed the dialog boxes to use the font "MS PGothic" and "MS Gothic" for the Quick Help. I think these are standard system fonts on Japanese systems.
Is this why the instrument list gets cut off for me? If so, I do hope you could do something to remedy that.

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The black square stop button isn't working for some reason. The song just continues playing on no matter how many times I press it. Is it just me?

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Me too. It happens when I press play button, then press back to start button. The Org Maker still playing the music, I can't stop it. It's a bug.

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:39 PM
Tpcool said:
you can't click the 'Back to Start' button while a song is playing or you have to exit out.
IdioticBaka1824 said:
The black square stop button isn't working for some reason. The song just continues playing on no matter how many times I press it. Is it just me?
apis said:
Me too. It happens when I press play button, then press back to start button. The Org Maker still playing the music, I can't stop it. It's a bug.
This problem is present in the original Japanese version. If you press the "beginning" button while the song is playing, then you can no longer stop.

For future problems, you can test if the Japanese version experiences the same issue. This will confirm if the problem is related to the translation or not.

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:50 PM
Do you know of any way to fix it?

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:55 PM
And when that bug happens, and if you press start button again, the music runs more faster.
IdioticBaka1824 said:
Do you know of any way to fix it?
Ask Rxo Inverse to fix it! :p

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:36 PM
How to contact?

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:54 AM
Hm, the BBS page doesn't like direct links. Instead, go to the Organya 2 page, then in the left margin, click on the BBS link. Unfortunately, to post a message on the BBS, you have to fill in an image authentication prompt that uses Japanese characters. However, someone has already posted about this bug and another bug:

Ver.2.1.0にバグがありました by ME

オルガーニャ2、いつも使わせて頂いています!
①「最近使ったファイル」で0番を選ぶと落ちました。
②再生中に最初まで巻き戻す(一番左のボタン)を押した後にもう一度再生ボタンを押すと高速で再生され、また、メニューバーのロックも解除されてしまいます。
よろしくお願いします。

2014 06/09(Mon) 21:40
Breaking the words up in Google Translate, this post seems to say something like:

There are bugs in Ver.2.1.0 by ME

I use Organya 2 all the time!
(1) Slot 0 in the "Recent Documents" fails to open.
(2) During playback, rewinding to the beginning (left button), then pressing the play button again, it is played at high speed.
Also, the menu bar is unlocked.
I examined the assembly in Olly Debug and made some patches that fix these bugs.

1. For the Recent Files slot 0 bug, I found a loop that cycles through the ten menu items with an index of 0 to 9. Once it processes the selected item, it sets the index variable to 8, then reaches the end of the loop where it increases the index (so it's now 9), then checks if it's less than 10. Unfortunately, for the last menu item, it ended up in an infinite loop (it kept matching up to index 9, then setting it to 8.) I changed it so when the menu item is found, it sets the index to 9, then it's increased to 10, then the loop exits.

2. For the skip to beginning button not stopping playback. I found both the "skip to beginning" and "stop" buttons were doing similar looking (but not identical?) steps to stop the playback. I'm not sure exactly what the "skip to beginning" button was missing. After the stopping steps, the "skip to beginning" button also resets the measure and step display numbers to zero, and sets the position back to the beginning. I erased the stopping steps in the "skip to beginning" flow, left in the resetting of the display numbers and position, then just had it jump to the "stop" button flow. However, there's a brief moment after it zeros and before it stops, so occasionally the measure and step numbers don't stay zero. Despite the wrong display numbers, it does seem to actually be at the beginning. In any case it's a smaller bug instead of a major bug that forces you to quit the program to resolve.

Edit: less than 10

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:21 AM
In any case it's a smaller bug instead of a major bug that forces you to quit the program to resolve.
Before quit, save the current music progress first.

Aug 30, 2014 at 7:02 PM
Progress update 2014-08-21: Everything except Quick Help is translated now. Download the updated version at the same link in the first post.

Left to do:
  • Translate Quick Help.
  • Maybe choose a different font and resize everything to look okay.

Progress update 2014-08-24: The major change with this update is that I changed the font in dialog boxes to use MS Sans Serif. Download the updated version at the same link in the first post.

Left to do:
  • Finish translating Quick Help, insert it into the executable. (Check if there's still a CR insertion routine and remove it. Check if there's a buffer limit that's a problem.)
  • Make a readme text file, and maybe a document about drum compatibility.

2014-08-30: I'm done. Download the final version from the new link in the first post.

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:32 PM
Based Member
Great work Bavi! Your efforts on this are much appreciated.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Nitpicky update:

While I was translating, Google Translate said the Japanese menu item ビブラート減衰 was "vibrato attenuation", so I just called the menu item "Vibrato".

But just now the music nerd in me remembered that vibrato is wavering pitch and tremolo is wavering volume. I didn't like that it was wrong, so I updated the menu item to "Tremolo decay". (The operation causes tremolo and decay.)

Minor update 2014-09-13: In the Space Remaining dialog, restored the OK button to the beginning of the tab order, to prevent the useless highlighting of the first number.

Minor update 2014-09-20: Corrected "File not accessable." to "File not accessible."

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:06 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The help file says that the Z and X keys are the equivalent of right and left-clicking on the screen. It seems that doing so in this version of ORG just plays a note on the keyboard. Is there another key that corresponds to the right and left click functions? It was very handy in 2.05 for adjusting note length.

EDIT: Oh wow they put the click to drag thing in here? Never mind then. I don't know why the Z and X keys would be specified to use those controls in the help file though. Maybe this will help me transition over to Pxtone. :/

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:19 AM
Professional Whatever
O and P substitute Z and X in the new one iirc

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:55 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Right, I am to update Wedge of Cheese's org replayer to work with the new drum samples.
I had a bunch of Safusaka tunes that crashed in OM 2.05 and didn't play at all in my port of WoC's replayer and wondered why.
It turns out troubles are OM 2.10 having 42 drum samples and the out-of-index reads.

So my question is, Bavi_H, if I rip samples with resource editor from your translation of OM... How the bloody heck do I order them?
They are shown alphabetically in the new OM's Instrument Options window, but that's not the correct order, is it?
The order I want is the one picked out by track's instrument byte in .org file format.

PS: Maybe I get off my lazy arse and port the replayer back to C. Because, let's face it, it's not particularly useful in Flash.