new law that will prohibit the streaming of games if passed.

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:25 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
http://shoryuken.com/2011/06/29/trolling-the-stream-by-ultradavid/

How far will the gov's go? Basically the government is trying to pass a law that will ban the streaming of any video game (fighting game tourneys,lp's) and are trying to turn it into a criminal law. A law that even if the person who owns the games right's has nothing against it the gov's can still pass a sentence.

Near the end of the article there is a link to a special petition that is being held against it so anyone can give support to it. discuss and if you're against it please dont forget to sign it.

edit: i did search this section of the forums using S.978 the name of the law as a search term

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:11 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Whose idea was it to include video games in this law? You might as well make it a felony to stream a video of some people playing Uno.
Of course, even if the laws passes, video game publishers can use their EULA to allow people to stream video. Blizzard would be fucked right over if StarCraft games can't be broadcast.

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:17 PM
Yes, because I'm sure WoW doesn't represent a large section of their income at all.

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:54 PM
Hyperbole is ALWAYS super effective.

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:22 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I remember streaming a Super Mario World hack a while back... Three viewers at once, it sure was the life!

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:32 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
It's not like any of us watch those lol.

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:02 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
I saw this a few days ago and I freaked out, but I kinda got over it.
This bill will never pass as it is worded, there are so many reasons that people would want to keep it the way it is.
Plus, companies can already have you arrested for doing that, but they choose to let it slide.
Also, "why did they choose to include video games?" it's all copyrighted material, they didn't single out anything.

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:31 AM
Not anymore
I don't think it's true that it won't pass without more specific wording. It might pass even with the vague wording, because congressmen like to do that. Especially with the ridiculous Protect IP Act looming over us as well.

Article:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111133-New-Bill-Makes-Illegal-Streaming-A-Felony

Additionally, the Motion Picture Association of America states that those who "stream videos without intending to profit" will not be prosecuted under the newly amended law.

If you open a website, stream <insert Television show here>, and use ads on your site to make lots 'o profits, you will probably be arrested if somebody manages to find where you live.

If you are a YouTube user, and are doing an LP of <insert game here>, you will not be arrested because you are not making profits and you are no real threat to the original game company. In fact, you are helping their franchise by making the game more popular.

Therefore, I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. Even if the bill does pass, I don't see it affecting the Internet community very much because it will be VERY difficult to enforce such a law.

Don't get me wrong - I don't like this bill and I don't want it to pass. So what are you supposed to do? In the next election, vote against the congressmen who supported that bill. Not qualified to vote? Do some lobbying and encourage others to do so. It's called politics. Not in the U.S.? Stop caring--this won't affect you.

Think about the millions of people on YouTube who stream games, music, etc. etc. etc. every day, most of which is partially copyrighted in some way. There is no way U.S. law enforcement can find you and send you to jail for doing an LP or two.

(By the way, Yahoo and Google are fighting on your side, for somewhat obvious reasons :))

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:11 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Wait. Federal crime? In America?
And this is why I can't fully support Democrats.
(Unless this is a Republican idea)
EDIT: Ninja'd by common sense. I had this open and didn't post it....

Jul 5, 2011 at 3:08 AM
I haven't seen anyone mention Republicans or Democrats. I think people get a little too wrapped up in the struggle between "good and evil."
Anyway, Carrotlord, even though I'm Canadian this still affects me because I watch American streams. If putting a video of a video game up on a website with ads is illegal, won't YouTube be a problem?
I'm probably misinterpreting the whole thing due to not bothering to read shit, but as you said, I'm not American so I don't have to care until it affects me.

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:04 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Not "Good and Evil," "Small Government and Big Government." I would think that it would be a Democrat thing, since they tend to bigger government, but then I realized that Republicans are also huge moral guardians even when it violates their small government ideology.
OhgodIjuststartedaflamewarhelpI'mburning

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:28 AM
Not anymore
Captain Fabulous said:
Anyway, Carrotlord, even though I'm Canadian this still affects me because I watch American streams. If putting a video of a video game up on a website with ads is illegal, won't YouTube be a problem?

But you're not making the money, Google is. Since Google owns YouTube and puts ads on it to gain profits for themselves, that's their problem and not yours.

You are a single user, among others, who is there to "stream videos without intending to profit".

So no, nobody who streams videogames should really be concerned unless they are directly making cash.

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:10 AM
Carrotlord said:
But you're not making the money, Google is. Since Google owns YouTube and puts ads on it to gain profits for themselves, that's their problem and not yours.

Right, and no one's going to arrest me because that would be silly and I'm Canadian. However, Google is easier to press charges against, so they probably won't want illegal content on YouTube. So that's why there's a problem.

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:37 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Well Guess What...

I know that I should not bump threads that are several months old, but I feel that this is too important to be left behind.

Well guess what.

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:13 PM
Re: Well Guess What...

fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu
America why you gotta be hatin'? This is certainly going to affect all the other countries as well.

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:51 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Re: Well Guess What...

Good job, America! Glad you're making some wonderful decisions as always.

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:23 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
This bill won't pass, there are only a few supporters of it when it was released.

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:34 PM
inside is yello
"..."
True, but it seems to have more supporters now.

From here:
(Wikipedia) said:
The PROTECT IP Act has received bipartisan support in the Senate, with introduction sponsorship by Patrick Leahy (D-VT), and co-sponsorship by Lamar Alexander (R-TN), Kelly Ayotte (R-NH), Michael Bennet (D-CO), Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Roy Blunt (R-MO), John Boozman (R-AR), Sherrod Brown (D-OH), Benjamin Cardin (D-MD), Bob Casey, Jr. (D-PA), Thad Cochran (R-MS), Christopher Coons (D-DE), Bob Corker (R-TN), Richard Durbin (D-IL), Mike Enzi (R-WY), Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Al Franken (D-MN), Kristen Gillibrand (D-NY), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Kay Hagan (D-NC), Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Tim Johnson (D-SD), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Herb Kohl (D-WI), Mary Landrieu (D-LA), Joseph Lieberman (I-CT), John McCain (R-AZ), Bill Nelson (D-FL), Marco Rubio (R-FL), Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Tom Udall (D-NM) and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI).

And one must remember, those are only the ones who voiced support. We have but one senator who is publicly against it. (Ron Wyden [D-OR])

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:06 PM
squidward
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
You can't fix things that aren't broken by making things worse

Oct 29, 2011 at 10:20 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Considering that the media industry has been against anything that let's you record anything, and has failed to surpress those, something tells me this isn't going to pass.

You guys forget that the actual number of senator's is about 100, and that it takes a fucking loooooooooooooooong time for any sort of bill to get anywhere. What's more is that they are trying to rush it, which never actually works, short of instances of war, where it's far easier to pass bills.

Also, this is like watching caveman watch TV, it's a medium that they don't understand. The "they" being silly politicians that know only politics and jack shit else.

Then again, I've been noticing a odd pattern with people in authoritative positions making extremely stupid decisions. Or at least trying to.

Edit: if any of this passes, a hell of whole lot of video game companies just lost free advertising. FREE. ADVERTISING.

Retarded, mentally handicapped politicians and certain entertainment industry's are RETARDED.