Mod: The Wrath of Revorshkenahl

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:20 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Ok, I changed my mind about the other mod. It probably won't be finished by the deadline, so I've actually still been working on this mod all this time, and I now have demo release number 5!

In a few minutes, I will have posted the link in the first post.

Nov 16, 2008 at 11:37 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Replayin' this from the start.

- I think I preferred main character dude's old facepicture ._.
- Guardian is spelled Gaurdian after the first boss fight.
- Hey, this stuff wasn't here before... and new plot involving Dragzelire Fist! I likes.
- The two red critters on the second level of the windy bit get 'stuck' underneath the raised block when they try to jump towards you.
-Giant bird boss is still a pretty good challenge. Oh, and new music!
-Think I mentioned this before, but in the fight with the Mystic Ninja, the flames that fall have an tendency to miss the battle arena completely.
-Getting past those spikes is a pain :(
All I feel like doing for now, might add more to this post later.

EDIT: Argh those mound/Balrog things in Dragzelire's Kitchen are awful! Not to kill, but they make so much damned noise it obscures the music. Maybe make them only appear when you're near them? (CNP function + trigger I think.) The ones near the top will also keep making a ruckus if you just try to run past them, so maybe make that area impassable until they're dead?

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:18 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I really need help in that castle! How do you reach the unreachably high platforms, even with Fury?

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:36 PM
graters gonna grate
@DoubleThink: Good idea about making the rock thingies appear/disappear, I think I'll do that.

@Tat: If you hold the jump key in midair, you can go higher. There actually is no limit to how high you can go if you hold the jump key.

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:22 AM
Been here way too long...
GAH!
Played it from the start again, and the Muscle Doctor guy killed me three times becasue at the begginning, he materialized on top of me, deleveled my weapon, and promptly ran into me.
Not Good. Bosses should be hard, and not annoying. If you have a boss that materializes on top of you every time, it does not make you want to try again.
And the main char now looks like a girl.

Lace

(Oh, btw, random idea, but now you have no weapon images, and a green crystal on your staff. Maybe the staff crystal could be white before you get weapons, and the weapon images could be different colored crystals. Like rolling death is red, spirit guardians is silver, etc. Just an idea.)

Da-doomp

Mystic Ninja is annoying too, though I like the rest of dragelzoids kitchen.

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM
WHY ISN'T ANYBODY POSTING ANYWHERE??????????
besides me

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:06 PM
graters gonna grate
Despite what I said earlier, I am going to post a reply now.

Lace said:
GAH!
Played it from the start again, and the Muscle Doctor guy killed me three times becasue at the begginning, he materialized on top of me, deleveled my weapon, and promptly ran into me.
Not Good. Bosses should be hard, and not annoying. If you have a boss that materializes on top of you every time, it does not make you want to try again.

Um... this is weird because I've played through the mod many times and have never experienced this problem. The only thing I can think of that might be causing this is that you stand still and wait for the boss to appear, whereas I usually run around a bit while I'm waiting for it to appear

Lace said:
And the main char now looks like a girl.

I never said that main char wasn't a girl. In fact, I deliberately left the main char's gender ambiguous. I usually think of the main char as male, simply because I'm male in rl. But if you think the new facepic looks feminine, feel free to think of the main char as such.

Lace said:
(Oh, btw, random idea, but now you have no weapon images, and a green crystal on your staff. Maybe the staff crystal could be white before you get weapons, and the weapon images could be different colored crystals. Like rolling death is red, spirit guardians is silver, etc. Just an idea.)

That's a cool idea. In order to implement it though, I'd have to change the main char's sprite so that the crystal on the staff doesn't move, which might look weird. I may or may not implement this depending on how much time I have on my hands.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:07 PM
Grow a beard

[QUOTEY]Um... this is weird because I've played through the mod many times and have never experienced this problem. The only thing I can think of that might be causing this is that you stand still and wait for the boss to appear, whereas I usually run around a bit while I'm waiting for it to appear[/QUOTEY]
I always run around! D=

[QUOTTT]That's a cool idea. In order to implement it though, I'd have to change the main char's sprite so that the crystal on the staff doesn't move, which might look weird. I may or may not implement this depending on how much time I have on my hands.[/OMGQUOTETH!!!!]

No you don't actually, I was screwing around a bit, and the weapon pops up a pixel at the same point your staff does, so no problem. :p

And you should still fiz the facepic...

OMGOMGOMG!!!!

Lace

[edit]
soz, bad day

Dec 1, 2008 at 12:55 PM
graters gonna grate
Lace said:
No you don't actually, I was screwing around a bit, and the weapon pops up a pixel at the same point your staff does, so no problem. :p

Wait, so you actually have a working Arms.pbm file then? Can you post a link so I can implement it?

And, just out of curiosity, what was the point of titling that post "Grow a beard"?

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:59 PM
graters gonna grate
On second thought, don't bother. I just did some messing around and it looks like the way the arms graphics are done is too weird for it to be practical to implement your idea.

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:10 PM
hokay, whatev :D
The char sprite overlaps the arms too, so the staff would have to have no crystal normally. Just thought it might be cool.

If I figure out something that would work though, I'll tell you.

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:48 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Are you eventually going to make the sprites and look better?

Edit: and the portraits.

Another edit: and the music less screechy.....

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:35 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I enjoyed it.

I finished this mod last night...er...uh..night before last? It's 1 AM here :eek:. Anyways, I enjoyed the mod right up until the end. Here's what I think:
Graphics - I found them to be ok. It's a demo so I figure they'll get better. Also, how come the "Earth Guardian" sprite only has one frame?
Difficulty - It was alright. I didn't have much difficulty with anything except Draglezire's Kitchen. I had to keep replaying it because of that damn maze-like thing...it got to the point where I'd keep dying or having to restart because of the easy crap. There were times when it was easy. For example, the spike stairs in Draglezire's Kitchen. I could do 'em in two jumps. The moving block obstacles after the underwater spikes were also incredibly easy. All it takes is one jump and a couple underwater hops and I could be rising above the water on the last block with 30 air left easily. Still though, some parts in the mod were a good medium!
Music - Not too shabby! It wasn't really something I'd remember, but it was good enough and definitely fit the style of the mod! (Wizards and stuff)
Misc - Here I will mention all the random stuff. Like how I WAS gonna mention that you could fly forever with the Rage spell... Though... After playin through a bit I found that it would be impossible to play without that aspect! Then I learned that you made it that way on purpose. I think you might wanna spread the bosses a bit thinner or have less "Stage bosses" cuz it seems like I'm always in a boss battle! Mostly in the first half though.

I can't think of anything else to say about your mod. Bottom line is...I liked it :D! I hope you finish it. I might play it if I'm not playin somethin else. Now that I think about it...I did just finish Cave Story (Including Hell for the first time) so maybe I'm just quick with me fingers!

On a side note, I have a strategy for the mass earth guardian attacks in the kitchen if anyone is interested :cool: :D.

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:31 PM
graters gonna grate
Don't worry, it will get quite a bit more difficult as you get closer to the very end. A good rule of thumb is to increase the difficulty when savepoints are close together, and decrease it when they are far apart. In Dragzeloid's Kitchen, there is a pretty huge gap between savepoints, so that's why I made the spike staircase/underwater blocks and that stuff easy.

Also, just to clarify:
Dragzeloid is the God of nature (that green guy you meet after the desert).
Dragzelire is a magical superstrong red metal that is named after Dragzeloid.

The stage names are:
Realm of Dragzelire
Dragzeloid's Kitchen
Dragzelire Fist

Dec 8, 2008 at 12:16 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
wedge of cheese said:
Don't worry, it will get quite a bit more difficult as you get closer to the very end. A good rule of thumb is to increase the difficulty when savepoints are close together, and decrease it when they are far apart. In Dragzeloid's Kitchen, there is a pretty huge gap between savepoints, so that's why I made the spike staircase/underwater blocks and that stuff easy.

Hopefully not TOO difficult eh? :eek:

That's a pretty good idea. Kind of a pain in the a$$ to go back and refill my mana after wastin dem guardians though :cool:. If I do that it makes the "Frenzied-Toroko-Dragon" boss easier. Although not too dangerous...them eggs hurt lots if you happen to be hit. Oh yeah! I forgot to mention something in my last post. I like the idea of using movin blocks instead of fans for the "Balfrog Dragon" boss.

wedge of cheese said:
Also, just to clarify:
Dragzeloid is the God of nature (that green guy you meet after the desert).
Dragzelire is a magical superstrong red metal that is named after Dragzeloid.

The stage names are:
Realm of Dragzelire
Dragzeloid's Kitchen
Dragzelire Fist

oh sorry... :D

Hey I just had an idea. Since this mod has to do with wizards 'n mages 'n magic 'n stuff...maybe Jenka or Misery could perhaps have a cameo? I like cameos...I don't really know why.

Dec 8, 2008 at 12:07 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I do have to say I like this mod thoroughly, but the Text-Face for the wizard does irk me. If there happens to be any original art from your 3d version that I could use to make the face from, then I'll gladly make it for ya :D

Dec 8, 2008 at 12:21 PM
graters gonna grate
Well, unfortunately my original 3d version is extremely far away from completion. I've done a lot of planning for it, but as far as tangible code/graphics, I've done hardly anything. With the main char in the original, I was planning on giving the player the ability to customize their character's appearance, so there isn't really any "standard" graphic for the main char.

Dec 8, 2008 at 12:40 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Ah, very well then. I'll just figure out how to change it to one of my Gnome Warlock from WoW then, after I spread this mod to a friend at school who is much better at CS than I am. :D

Jan 4, 2009 at 4:13 PM
graters gonna grate
Ok, just to let everyone know what the progress is so far, and what I'm putting in the next demo release...

I'm planning on having the next release toward the end of January. After that, there might still be one more demo, but I'll probably just go directly to beta stage after this next demo (meaning everything is basically complete, but there's still room for improvement/changes based on your feedback). I have just spent a lot of time improving the intro sequence (it now includes credits and shows a graphic of the Altar of Destiny during the storyline part). I plan on doing what DoubleThink suggested (editing the 2nd part of Dragzeloid's Kitchen, so that the rock thingies aren't so annoying with the noise they make). There won't be very much gameplay added (only one stage, a boss fight, and a puzzle/riddle type thing), because the puzzle is going to have a freakin' HUGE script for it (I'm actually writing a program to write the script for me, rather than writing the script by hand! xD). I'm also curious to see what y'all think of the puzzle.

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:37 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
If I can make a suggestion, could you please, PLEASE put a save point at the beginning of the "tower" level? The first part of the castle is loooooong, so following it up with a room full of difficult-to-avoid instant kill spikes is just a slap on the face. And they are difficult to avoid, because if you get any downward momentum at all you can't turn it around so holding down the fire button a fraction of a second too long will kill you as you hug the ceiling. Neither area would be bad if there were a save point inbetween, but after four or five tries at the tower I've gotten too fed up at having to redo the previous area to keep going.