Mod: The Wrath of Revorshkenahl

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:43 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
-old- -new-
diph.php
diph.php

I really don't see he difference, sorry, of course then again I'm color blind :p

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:14 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Yeah, the difference isn't much, it's pretty subtle.

Btw, does anyone get my new sig?

Sep 7, 2008 at 6:15 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
wedge of cheese said:
Yeah, the difference isn't much, it's pretty subtle.

Btw, does anyone get my new sig?

Not me :D

Btw to make your background less distracting, you could open it in Photoshop and set the layer opacity to a lower %.

Sep 7, 2008 at 6:00 PM
graters gonna grate
dooey100 said:
Haha, its a bit of code in Java. type=gouda;

Yes, I like your choice of type!

wedge_of_cheese a=new wedge_of_cheese("gouda");
a.eat(); //AM-NAM-NAM!! A wedge of gouda cheese!! YUMMY!!!
a.eat(); //OHZ-NOEZ, I already ate it! :cool:

Sep 7, 2008 at 8:31 PM
graters gonna grate
Third demo release!!

See first post for download link.

Sep 18, 2008 at 7:00 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Wow, I'm liking how this is turning out. The intro bit is quite interesting in particular.

On the part at the entrance to the mountains...
Is the boss supposed to be a giant turkey? I'm impressed that you even got it to use the Omega boss style & still made it look natural.

Anyway, I noticed if you keep moving left from when the battle begins it's possible to land on top of the Basil.
The new boss before the current end is rather fun, if not somewhat easy...
The real trick is getting past those -10 spikes afterward in a minimal life run (Which I wasn't doing this time...)
I like how you've even made sure it's not possible to walk off the left side of this part into nothingness...

I got up here by getting hit by the lowest beetle in the pic, then when I was nearby another one higher up, I would open my inventory to cancel the temporary invincibility, then get damaged again and boost upwards on purpose when I resumed playing. It's not easy to do it, but it's possible.

(By the way, if you click the pic above, you can see the message you get when you try to leave to the left.)

Sep 19, 2008 at 12:07 AM
graters gonna grate
Bad Beholder said:
On the part at the entrance to the mountains...
Is the boss supposed to be a giant turkey? I'm impressed that you even got it to use the Omega boss style & still made it look natural.

Anyway, I noticed if you keep moving left from when the battle begins it's possible to land on top of the Basil.

I'm glad you like it. I was originally going to put bird legs on said boss, but that epically failed. It was actually quite funny how sometimes there would randomly be a pair of legs superimposed over the main sprite, but I couldn't get it to work right, so I canceled that idea.

Bad Beholder said:
I like how you've even made sure it's not possible to walk off the left side of this part into nothingness...

I got up here by getting hit by the lowest beetle in the pic, then when I was nearby another one higher up, I would open my inventory to cancel the temporary invincibility, then get damaged again and boost upwards on purpose when I resumed playing. It's not easy to do it, but it's possible.

(By the way, if you click the pic above, you can see the message you get when you try to leave to the left.)

Thanks for reporting. I suspected it might be possible to do something like what you did, although I never managed to do it myself. I think I can fix the bug by adding a special type of tile like the vines in grasstown that block some enemies, but not the main character.

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:13 PM
graters gonna grate
Ok, I redid the music for the Forest and Mountain maps, and I personally like the new music much better. What do you all think?

Download links:

Old version: forest.org
New version: grassland.org

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:22 AM
Both are good, but I think forest.org fits well with the forest area more, while grassland.org seems to go quite well with the mountain area, especially if the Titan of Thunder(.org) is nearby that general place.

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:31 AM
graters gonna grate
Fourth demo release!!

See first post for download link.

@BadBeholder (or anyone else who cares): For this demo release, I did as you suggested and used grassland.org for the mountains, and forest.org for the forest. There is a part later in the mod when you return to the forest, but it's different; there are a lot more enemies. My original plan was to have the music for this area be "Mischevious Robot" (the song that plays in pre-waterway Egg Corridor in the original Cave Story). Maybe I should use grassland.org instead? Or maybe just stick with forest.org? What do you think?

Oct 11, 2008 at 9:12 AM
Wow, Grassland.org sounds better than I thought for the mountains. The new areas were quite fun, especially the one beyond the invisible wall stopping the beetles.

By the way, some of the spots higher up in Mortanro's Castle cannot be reached just by holding down the fire button alone when ascending with the new spell. You might want to put a hint of sorts for those who don't know of the extra boosting method (Holding down both the Jump & Fire buttons).

When entering the depths of Dragzeloid's Kitchen, I noticed the group of enemies there & found myself thinking, "What the heck?! Those things are standard enemies?!" It took a few tries getting through (I still got hurt on the same spike as last time on the upper floor... Lower... Left... Corner... Owww...)

Then at the end of there...
The boss using both the Balfrog & Frenzied Toroko patterns was a nice, unexpected twist. It wasn't really that hard, but it's not too easy, either.

I went & defeated Magma X after that. Apparently, Mortanro's Castle wasn't down that way like I initially thought...

Also, I wasn't expecting Mortanro's 2nd form to use Doctor 1's AI.
Once again, you did a really great job on the mod, I can't wait to see what comes next!
wedge of cheese said:
@BadBeholder (or anyone else who cares): For this demo release, I did as you suggested and used grassland.org for the mountains, and forest.org for the forest. There is a part later in the mod when you return to the forest, but it's different; there are a lot more enemies. My original plan was to have the music for this area be "Mischevious Robot" (the song that plays in pre-waterway Egg Corridor in the original Cave Story). Maybe I should use grassland.org instead? Or maybe just stick with forest.org? What do you think?
Maybe you could keep it as forest.org until the obvious change in enemies occur, then change it to grassland.org (Or something else... I would say "On To Grasstown", but whether that's still on your mod's soundtrack list or not, I don't know...)

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:21 PM
graters gonna grate
Bad Beholder said:
Maybe you could keep it as forest.org until the obvious change in enemies occur, then change it to grassland.org (Or something else... I would say "On To Grasstown", but whether that's still on your mod's soundtrack list or not, I don't know...)

You know, I think "On to Grasstown" is a good idea, I didn't think of that, thx :D

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:51 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This is a pretty good mod, in particular I really like the music and the setting (it really feels like having Guardian Spirits and all the spells. Good job Wedge! I really hope to see the next version!
(And I'm also one of those who are simply clueless in the Castle XD But I did kill all the dragons in sight!)

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:01 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I saw a video, and the character had a tan circle for a head. I like the Cthulu faces though, and

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:04 AM
graters gonna grate
I added a new background graphic (bkDestiny.pbm), which will replace bkFog/bkMoon is some situations.

Here is the graphic:
diph.php

Before I made this, my plans for the use of bkFog and bkMoon were...
bkFog: Realm of Dragzelire, final boss fight (unfinished)
bkMoon: Mountains, Mortanro's Castle, Mysterious Place (unfinished), Land of Enchantment (unfinished), and Tundra (unfinished).

I definitely want to keep bkMoon for Mortanro's Castle, Land of Enchantment, and Tundra. I'm considering using bkDestiny for Realm of Dragzelire, Mountains, and Mysterious Place. Do people think this is a good idea (I realize you can't really judge for Mysterious Place since you haven't seen it yet.)

With the final boss fight, what I think I'm going to do is have the pre-fight dialog in a bkFog map, and right when the fight starts, <TRA to a bkDestiny map (I'm going to have to <TRA to another map anyway, because I need to change the spritesheets).

bkDestiny will definitely be used for the secret final boss fight, if nothing else

PunxsatownyPhil said:
I saw a video, and the character had a tan circle for a head. I like the Cthulu faces though, and
If you download the latest release, you'll see the new, improved main char facepic.

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:58 PM
He who lurks beneath the posts.
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I'm kinda hoping that the current face pic is temporary :o Great mod so far. stuck on the boss in the underground passage but its good :p

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:38 PM
graters gonna grate
I'm putting this mod on hold for a while to work on a mod with a more definite deadline (you'll see what I mean when I finish it), so don't expect another demo release for this mod until some time in December. Don't worry though, I will definitely finish this mod unlike most of the other really good mods (*glares at Schmitz, Xaser, and Metalogz*).

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:44 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Heyyyyyy I'm working on another mod!! DD: AND WILL DEFINITELY FINISH THAT NEW MOD. JUST YOU WAIT! >:E

lol and btw I think you should improve some of the graphix, especially the boss monsters =/. They look too 2D if you ask me. No offence though (my spriting was much worse than yours when I first started)

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:23 PM
graters gonna grate
Metalogz said:
Heyyyyyy I'm working on another mod!! DD: AND WILL DEFINITELY FINISH THAT NEW MOD. JUST YOU WAIT! >:E

Good, because otherwise I might have to get really annoying and keep quoting this back at you repeatedly. Muahahahahaha!!! :D :p