Mod: The Wrath of Revorshkenahl

Aug 24, 2008 at 7:39 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
The Wrath of Revorshkenahl is a 3d RPG that I want to program that's unrelated to Cave Story, but I probably won't actually finish that for a very long time. So, when I found out about making Cave Story mods, I decided it would be cool to make this game into a Cave Story mod. You play as a wizard with a mysterious prophecy made about you, and learn to cast various spells along the way (which replace Cave Story weapons). Hope you all enjoy it! :D

===DOWNLOAD LINKS===

8/24/08: demo 1
8/28/08: demo 2
9/7/08: demo 3
10/6/08: demo 4
11/16/08: demo 5
1/20/09: demo 6

9/3/09: FINAL RELEASE zOMFG!!
Don't you love how the more time elapsed between the last demo and the final release than between the first and last demos? rofl

Final version for Mac

===BUG FIXES/PATCHES (first two should be compatible with both the PC and Mac versions)===
-crSound.tsc download it and put it in the "data\Stage" folder to fix the bug (it's a trivial text-based bug).
-end.pxe once again download and put in data\Stage. It adds a savepoint near the end, since some people were complaining about a lack of savepoints.
-Lace's hacked/edited version
-According to Lace there's also a "newer version" and he can't even remember what he changed :rolleyes:

----

Final comments

progress: approx 100%, actually exactly 100% (duh)

Yes, The Wrath of Rubidiumchloride is done at long last. I strongly recommend playing through from the very beginning, partly so you hear the new music (some, but not all, of which was posted in the org music thread) and partly so you're aware of the few subtle yet significant storyline related changes. Someday I might actually get off my lazy ass and work on the game I want to make that inspired this mod, and I'll let y'all know if I do, but don't hold your breath :rolleyes:. Although there is probably a fair amount I could improve upon in The Wrath of Ringostar, I've decided that the time has come to move on to bigger and better things (trust me, The Wrath of Roastbeefsandwich is gonna look like shit next to The Paradise Project O_o). In any case, I hope y'all enjoy this final installment of The Wrath of Remorsefulspambot! :D

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:58 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Downloading...
eh, mouthy name, try to make it a bit easier to pronounce/read. As for a review/ comments?
No intro, awww, I like intros. :-(
They're not that hard to make either.

Title screen is really hard to read, but nicely styled, and the new quote sprite is um, wierd.

Small Sanctuary:
The new background was really, really, bright and distracting. Liked that the ctulhu had a face though. The char's face is not as good. If you want an easy face maker, just search face maker or rpg facemaker on google and you will get some good uh, facemakers :D Small text glitch, if you try to go west, the ctulhu says My brother will teach you a couple spell. It should be: My brother will teach you a couple of spells.

Forest:
Enemy Dodging, enemy dodging, Ooh! a life capsule! Enemy dodging. Ctulhu who gives me spells. and um, a boss? but I haven't even used my weapons yet? you should add a bit of prep time first. That boss was actually pretty hard too. Um, glitch? After the bossfight, I went into the desert, and back into the forest, and back into the desert -- and fell to my death in a bottomless pit. lolwut? and I now have to restart the game. you really need a save/refil somewhere (I know the first boss is only Igor, but the weapons make the fight harder. Um, I just checked, if you gointo forest and back and back into again, you die by falling too. I really don't want to take another shot at this, so just use what I've already said.

Aug 25, 2008 at 6:53 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Righto, this should be pretty sweet, or at least have pretty sweet music.
THOSE LITTLE THINGS ON CARS THAT STICK OUT A BIT
-Yeah the title screen's a bit hard to read. The intro was very nice though.
-It's a bit odd watching a tiny little mage dude jumping that high into the air. His head is also a bit small, and the background could afford to blend a bit more smoothly.
-Next area is pretty straightforward, although the background looks cool and the music is nice. It's pretty hard not to get hit at times, although that life-up makes it much easier to survive.
-Comment on the magic/weapons: The Rolling Death is a bit strong in terms of damage, and the Guardian Spirits with infinite ammo is a bit too forgiving. Putting an ammo limitation on both of them would make things a bit more challenging, because at the moment I can just hold down the fire button and shoot Spirits while they protect me.
-After that first boss it's possible to just jump back to that area after saving and use the experience capsules to max weapons out. Enemies are also very easy to kill so getting hp back isn't much of a problem, and they tend to jump off platforms a lot too. The bosses are pretty well-balanced in terms of difficulty though, and have different designs to boot. Can't remember fighting Balrog+Rockets or Muscle Doctor in any others mods yet, so that's a first
-The level designs are overall nice but also small. If you wanna concentrate more on boss fights that's cool, but there's not that much substance atm.

Overall The Wrath of Reffablabbaflab looks pretty cool so far, I'm just not sure if Cave Story is really the best platform for it, but as you said you'll probably finish the real thing eventually. I likes the story and the musics so far and it was a fun little distraction from whatever I'm meant to be doing atm >_>

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:43 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Glad to see that a new mod is released after some time of non-activity here =P

I like your title. However, (I'm not saying this just to agree with everyone else) is it hard to make out what the title actually says.

Hold on I'm playing on...

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:41 PM
graters gonna grate
@Lace: there will be an intro eventually, I just didn't want to have to make 67 blank maps to get up to map number 72 until I have more maps. I probably won't change the main character's appearance for a while, it could be better, but it's acceptable, so I'll focus on other things for the time being. Also, I tried going back and forth many times between forest and desert and I never fell into a bottomless pit. Has anyone else been experiencing this problem?

@DoubleThink: I found a guide for weapon hacking, and was considering increasing the damage of Gaurdian Spirits. Right now I find that Rolling Death is much more powerful than Gaurdian Spirits. If I do this, what I might also do to not make the mod too easy is hack npc.tbl and increase the health/damage of enemies later in the mod. Do you (or anyone else) think this is a good idea? Also, maybe I should set the "invisible if flag set" flag for the experience capsules in the forest so they aren't there after the boss fight?

@everyone:

I've tried making the background for Small Sanctuary/Desert less bright. Do you like it?

-old- -new-
diph.php
diph.php

Also, about the title. I just copied the title graphic from the "real-thing" as DoubleThink calls it, but I had to shrink it and confine it to a narrower color palette, making it difficult to read.
diph.php

Finally, something I forgot to mention in the first post, the symbol that should replace an equal sign in text boxes isn't working, like in cave story how it says

<circle>Life Capsule<circle> (or any other item)
instead of
=Life Capsule=

in mine, it's supposed to show emeralds for equal signs but it just shows equal signs. Anyone know how to fix this?

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:34 PM
Justin-chan
In your MSG, you can't use <SAT or <TUR. Otherwise, it'l turn into just normal equal signs.

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:16 PM
graters gonna grate
Ah, okay, thanks

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:14 PM
Hey, sorry for the half baked sort of unhelpful post earlier.
I was a bit tired. I'll give you a better one soon.
:-D

Lace

EDIT: Why double post when I can just edit?
Commenteds:
If you go back to the starting point to save after the bossfight, and go left, it says That's all and the demo ends.
The desert is pretty easy, now that I figurred out that the alters are save and health refils. (I'm dumb!) The Balrog edit was pretty fun. and the muscle doctor was annoying, but fun. I like how the bubble lev 3 looks. Stuck on the m doctor right now, because he keeps spawning on top of me >_> but pretty good mod so far.

Aug 26, 2008 at 9:54 PM
graters gonna grate
Next demo release will probably be tomorrow, maybe the day after

What I have left to do before next release:
-Edit Omega graphics
-Add enemies to mountain range
-Make a few small changes to mountain range map
-A few short scripts

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:03 PM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Aug 28, 2008 at 3:33 PM
graters gonna grate
Second demo release!!

See first post for download link.

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:22 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
If you go from the forest into the sanctuary and turn around really quickly, you fall into a bottemless pit. You can fix this just by <TRA ing one space farther into the small sanctuary than you do now.

Its sweet, though, I like your new boss sprites.

Aug 29, 2008 at 12:30 PM
Luls
dooey100 said:
If you go from the forest into the sanctuary and turn around really quickly, you fall into a bottemless pit. You can fix this just by <TRA ing one space farther into the small sanctuary than you do now.

Its sweet, though, I like your new boss sprites.

Well that might not solve the problem ><

This happens because you've placed the H/V trigger (in this case, Vertical Trigger) too high above the ground, making it such that when the map loads, it has to travel down to meet the horizontal coordinates of your character. However, since you're so near the edge of the map, you can easily outrun the trigger and fall out of the map before the vertical trigger can travel down to meet your horizontal coordinates.

Solution: Place the H/V trigger at ground level. Simple as that =P

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:19 PM
graters gonna grate
I'm not sure that would work, because there is a similar problem when you go from mountains to Dragzeloid's Kitchen, and you jump right back up to mountains very quickly, and then the h-trigger is in the exact same coordinates as your character. I think the thing to do would be to add a <KEY command right before all of my <FAI commands, otherwise, the main character will become active before the rest of the map does.

Aug 30, 2008 at 1:40 AM
Yay, just beat the new version, and only a few comments.
First, gratz on making omega actually hard.

Secondly, the mountains are really, really, annoying to navigate, due to the slopes not actaully being slopes.

And the bug that I had earlier, with falling off of the map has only happened to me in one place (forest desert) good addition!

Lace

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:46 AM
Luls
Hey cheese, I think you should really improve on the face pics... They look... weird >< Especially the main char's one. However, I think that Cthuluhuhlulh's (huh? I duno how to spell his name rofl xD) face pic looks awesome.

Also, I think you shold have more dialogue pertaining to the storyline in between boss fights. Also, speaking of boss fights, I think that they're too frequent.

Barely exploring more than 1 map, you encounter another boss. If that happens, boss fights wouldn't be so fun and interesting anymore ><.

And I think that having your own edited monsters would make the mod ever more interesting =P.

Btw... The Guardian spirits... They always face right. So if you shoot to the left, they fly backwards. Weird, don't you think? o_O|||
You should make them omni-directional.

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:53 AM
Luls
wedge of cheese said:
I'm not sure that would work, because there is a similar problem when you go from mountains to Dragzeloid's Kitchen, and you jump right back up to mountains very quickly, and then the h-trigger is in the exact same coordinates as your character. I think the thing to do would be to add a <KEY command right before all of my <FAI commands, otherwise, the main character will become active before the rest of the map does.

Trust me, it works. Just place T-trigs at ground level.

If you don't believe me then do this:

1) Open NpcSym
2) See that little black square in the top left corner of the sprite sheet? (The one on the left of the first smoke sprite)
3) Draw something in that black space (Maybe a square)
4) Save it (duh)
5) Play your game.

You'll notice that every event that does not have a sprite would appear as the thing you drawn in the black space.

This is because that black space in NpcSym is the sprite for an event without a sprite.

Now go into the map where you had that problem. If you notice, the h-trigger event slowly moves downwards to meet your char's horizontal coordinates.

Just go into a new map and wait while the thing moves down and stops at your char's horizontal coordinates. When it does, you can jump up and down to see how it reacts to your movements. The h-trigger would follow your horizontal coordiantes.

Try it =P

By then, you should've realised what's wrong with your h/v trigs for map transitions.

Aug 30, 2008 at 10:14 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Yay, more stuff.
SRELIOPS
-Well, I played back to where I was before and beat the boss. I liked Dragzelire's temple-thingy, very, um... red. With statues.
-I dunno when you're technically supposed to be able to go left from the starting screen and enter the mountains, but it's possible to do so as soon as you beat the first boss, rather than heading right all the way. I suspect it's also possible to head back to the right after you get teleported back to the start.
-It's true the mountains aren't really mountains, but I think it does make them a bit more challenging. Plus they look preeeeeeeeeeeety. You might want to check your spawn points for the swarming bugs though, sometimes the big ones get stuck behind mountains trying to chase you or even spawn inside the mountains. The Snake/Ghost also makes this area pretty breezy, maybe you could weaken it or tone its range down like ZT did in his mod.
Also:
Metalogz said:
Btw... The Guardian spirits... They always face right. So if you shoot to the left, they fly backwards. Weird, don't you think? o_O|||
You should make them omni-directional.
Not really possible without hax I'm afraid, the Bubbler only has a single directional sprite set for projectiles, coz they're round. Pixel didn't do more work than he had to :rolleyes:

Aug 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM
Luls
DoubleThink said:
Not really possible without hax I'm afraid, the Bubbler only has a single directional sprite set for projectiles, coz they're round. Pixel didn't do more work than he had to :p

No I mean... change sprite design...

A circle sprite, for example, is omni-directional =P

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:50 PM
graters gonna grate
@Lace: I had a tough time deciding how to make the mountains. I wanted to make 45 degree slopes, but cave story tilesets don't allow you to do that realistically, so I either had to make the mountains less steep (which would be lame, because then they wouldn't really be mountains) or make the physics for the mountains somewhat unrealistic (which is what I chose to do).

@Metalogz: Your suggestion about moving the triggers would probably work, but I already added the <KEY commands I spoke of earlier, and that fixed the problem so I think I'll just stick with that. Due to what you (and many other people) are saying, I think I will improve the main chars facepic for the next release. Btw, the reason Cthulhu's facepic is so good is because I just copied and pasted his face from NpcRegu.pbm to Face.pbm, increased the size, and smoothed out the edges xP. Also, I was planning on changing some of the enemy sprites eventually.

@DoubleThink: It was intentional that you can get to the mountains before getting through the desert. However, you wouldn't be able to get further than that because you wouldn't know about the secret entrance to Dragzeloid's Kitchen, so if you pressed the down arrow on the cracked spot in the ground, nothing would happen. Also, it is possible to go back into the forest after returning from the Realm of Dragzelire. You can go a little ways into the desert even, but then you discover a wall that wasn't there before which prevents you from going further. Also, to make the ghost less powerful, how about this:
Level 1: 4 damage (same as before)
Level 2: 5 damage (instead of 6)
Level 3: 7 damage (instead of 8)
Mana (ammo): 100 (instead of infinite, is restored at altar)