MOD: Cave Story Boss Rush

Jul 10, 2006 at 8:06 AM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I played through it in about 10:30. Didn't keep track of my time though, sorry.

It's quite good, but I feel the transition between battles is tedious. You should automatically give the player all powerups/recovery instantly and switch between battles without any pause in-between unless you can trade a weapon, in which case you're asked before the next fight.

IMO, that would be much more intense and you could concentrate solely on beating the bosses.

To make things more interesting, before everything else, a single screen where you can toggle flags ("Never increase max health?" "Never increase max missles?" "Do not get super missiles?" "Never recover health?" etc) could allow people to play more challenging versions.

Just my 2 cents. :confused:

Jul 10, 2006 at 11:25 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I like the way it is with the having to manually power yourself up with hearts and stuff, because it takes time to do. Just giving the player everything with no time needed in between would be less of a time challenge, everyone would get close to the same time everytime.

With the having to manually power up, you have to pick your spots to take time to power up to get the fastest time.

The other thing though, about the different challenges would be cool however. It'd be fun to do since I like challenges such as those.

I also think it'd be cooler (my opinion) if you started with the max 55 HP and the life pot but that was it, no healing throughout the entire challenge. It would elminate the cheap suicidal part of the boss rush, because that seems to be the most effective way to deal with some bosses and it saves a ton of time on some , because you can just suicide and spam flames/blades and destroy the boss and heal afterwards.

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:29 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
RuneLancer said:
It's quite good, but I feel the transition between battles is tedious. You should automatically give the player all powerups/recovery instantly and switch between battles without any pause in-between unless you can trade a weapon, in which case you're asked before the next fight.

IMO, that would be much more intense and you could concentrate solely on beating the bosses.

Problem with this is that many of the bosses give no weapon XP at all until you beat them. Imagine fighting core with everything at level 1...

Yeah.

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:31 AM
Slacker
Level 1 blade can own the core, as well as any other boss.

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:41 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
I hate fighting core with lvl 1 blade, he always ends up on the far right and I fall down. Don't mind if I have booster or lvl 3 machine gun, but I generaly don't have those.

I kinda agree with you Rune about it being faster with less time between bosses, but then it would be more time in menus. Right now you don't need to answere any questions to do a 3hp run, you just don't get heart tanks. I also like how this way simulates the actaul game better, if you want to get most life power ups, it adds a lil bit of time.

Chaddykins I was thinking about making a run like that. Except you don't just start with everything, you still get to pick, but you pick before a single boss. And you never go back to that room. So basiclay u start there, get any comination of possible weapons, missles, hp, and items then you fight all the bosses back to back to back. The biggest problem would be the early bosses being complete pushovers. Balrog 1 and 2 with lvl 2 blade? Dosn't seem like much point to that. I still may do this, since it would be pretty easy working from what I already have. We'll see, I'd appreciate everyones suggestions / ideas.

Jul 12, 2006 at 1:25 AM
Slacker
I was thinking about that too, it'd be interesting. A room with treasure chests with signs that tell you what the chest contains, or something of that sort. Or you can just have like...different set combinations for a challenge or something. I dunno.

By the way, it's not like ANY of the balrog fights are hard to begin with...level 3 polar star owns the first Balrog, Flame owns the second and third (balfrog), and the blade owns the fourth...easy peasy.

Jul 12, 2006 at 1:26 AM
"..."
I wonder how fast you could get through the boss rush if you started with a level 2 Blade and it never changed from level 2? :confused:

Jul 12, 2006 at 1:27 AM
Slacker
Wouldn't be too hard..if you could add the 2.0 booster with that, I bet it'd be a breeze and I could get a faster time. Besides fighting the Ma Pignon anyway..since he's immune to the blade.

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:30 PM
"..."
Not being hard was my point - Lvl2 Blade does the most damage per second next to rockets.

Ma Pignon is immune to the blade? Woah. Granted, at that point I'm usually using the Spur, so...

Jul 12, 2006 at 4:13 PM
Slacker
Osmose said:
Not being hard was my point - Lvl2 Blade does the most damage per second next to rockets.

Ma Pignon is immune to the blade? Woah. Granted, at that point I'm usually using the Spur, so...

Yeah if I remember right, Ma Pignon can't be harmed by blades or missles..it makes him one of the bosses that takes me the most time to fight.

Jul 23, 2006 at 2:56 AM
Slacker
Working now on boss rushing with 3 HP =X

Jul 23, 2006 at 4:03 AM
"..."
Has anyone ever created trick run maps for Cave Story?

Like the kind of stuff that was in the hard-ending Last Cave and the first screen of Hell? Stuff that pushes the limits of getting the most out of your booster or machine gun. That would be cool.

Jul 23, 2006 at 12:46 PM
Slacker
Osmose said:
Has anyone ever created trick run maps for Cave Story?

Like the kind of stuff that was in the hard-ending Last Cave and the first screen of Hell? Stuff that pushes the limits of getting the most out of your booster or machine gun. That would be cool.

I think someone did at one time...although I don't know who and I never got to play the mod, sorry I can't help much. >_>

On another note, Boss Rushing with 3HP is hard as hell.

Jul 24, 2006 at 6:33 AM
Slacker
...I really think you should remove the enemies that are already spawned at the beginning of the Monster X fight. =X

Jul 24, 2006 at 6:49 AM
"..."
Chaddykins said:
...I really think you should remove the enemies that are already spawned at the beginning of the Monster X fight. =X

That's what killed me bad when I first tried it. O_O

Jul 24, 2006 at 6:57 AM
Slacker
Me too. I can understand the 2 or 3 at the far right alive, but the ones on the left AND beyond the forcefield are annoying me to no end...

Jul 24, 2006 at 7:57 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I don't really mind those monsters there. Actually, I think it makes the battle more fun, how you have to jump around and avoid all of the bullets.

Well, come to think about it, now, they can be annoying if you're playing to get records...

Jul 24, 2006 at 9:25 AM
Slacker
That and the massive slowdown when Monster X shows up on the scene with all the enemies still about =X

Jul 24, 2006 at 12:19 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I've never actually beaten it that fast. My fastest is about 15 minutes, which isn't that good, compared to some peoples sub 9 minute runs.

Apart from that, just one problem. You don't get the bubbler. Is this because no-one uses it, or what?

Jul 24, 2006 at 12:52 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I think, but i think also the bubbler is a cool weapon.