MOD: Cave Story Boss Rush

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:35 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Wow I actually never even thought about the bubbler... I never noticed that it wasn't available o_o

Jul 24, 2006 at 5:02 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Before trying out the fireball the Bubbler was the best at Balfrog. At least on level 3.

Jul 24, 2006 at 9:03 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Chaddykins, how far have you got with your 3hp boss rush? I made it to Frenzied Toroko before he hit me with one of his blocks-of-ultimate-death-for-a-3hp-boss-rush.

Jul 25, 2006 at 2:47 AM
Slacker
So far the farthest I got was Balrog #3, but I'm consistently having problems with Pooh Black and Monster X(only cause the Gaudi's are annoying)

Ehh I hope I can somehow finish this...this is much more annoying than a low hp Hellrun.

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:31 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I gave that 3hp run a shot (with what's possibly an older copy of the hack - no internet at home for the time being) and got as far as Toroko. Got hit by a stray block. D'oh.

Fun, though. If it weren't for that minor mistake, I could probably make it to the core. Monster X never gave me any trouble (dunno what's so hard about it... so long as you don't get run over) and Pooh Black is slllightly luck-based, but nothing too hard either if you use the blade. Never tried it with the launcher though. :)

Jul 25, 2006 at 9:28 PM
Slacker
Monster X isn't hard, the fact that soon as I start I'm being assaulted by 5 gaudi's that I almost HAVE to take out before he opens is the tough part. And I know that Pooh Black is luck based, that's the hard thing about it, if I'm not lucky I lose due to the randomness of the bubbles as he falls down.

Toroko is one of the easy bosses. I use the machine gun, but I'm pretty sure it can be done with the flame too. Soon as the battle starts, run and jump over her and stand on the hill, and start firing. If she stands and throws a block at you, simply jump. If she jumps and throws a block, simply run under her. Easy as that.

Jul 25, 2006 at 11:45 PM
"..."
Toroko is simple with the Fireball, if you can dodge the blocks, and since her pattern is short and simple, you can defenately take her out before she can hit you.

Jul 26, 2006 at 4:33 AM
Slacker
I wish I had the bubbler now... =X having it for Pooh Black would be godsend cause of those damn bubbles...it'd be nice to have my own bubble shield protecting me from them.

Jul 27, 2006 at 12:45 AM
"..."
Holy balls... how did i forget the bubbler... Looks like we'll be seeing an update soon.

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:15 AM
Slacker
PLEASE update with Bubbler and no Gaudi's during Monster X >_> *is having the most annoying time with Monster X*

Aug 3, 2006 at 2:20 PM
The Bartender
The gaudis are only a problem if you're doing a 3hp run - otherwise, they're actually useful (items! :p)

The bubbler would be great though. I can think of a few places where it would be VERY useful...

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:27 PM
"..."
Hmmmmmm should I take out the gaudis.... How about I just take out the ones to the left of where you start?

Aug 3, 2006 at 6:12 PM
The Bartender
Well... it IS a boss-run, so IMO the bosses should be the only things you fight. However they're somewhat part of the fight, so it's a bit difficult determining wether they're part of the boss or just "there."

Most bosses spawn enemies, but unlike them Monster X's buddies are already on the map (and remain there even after you beat it and come back) so I think they're seperate from the actual fight and just happen to be in the way...

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:11 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
maybe something that asks you if you want the gaudi's or not before you start a
new game or before you start the fight? kinda like it asks if you want to skip the
first fight with Balrog. don't know much about editting but it's a thought

Aug 4, 2006 at 3:38 AM
Slacker
Removing the just the ones from the left would be nice (and the one you can snipe off before the fight? >_>). There's also like 6 other Gaudi's outside the forcefield for the boss that CAN jump over and join in the assault on you. =/

I've died more times on Monster X (doing 3 HP anyway...with more HP this whole issue of mine becomes null and void because it's so easy to take a hit and murder them all invincible >_>) than any other boss just cause of the Gaudi's x_x...farthest I've gotten so far is the Core going on 3HP cause I keep screwing up..(Had him down to like no HP and a little spinny shot got me out of nowhere, O_O=My face)

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:15 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Very cool mod! ;)
I like it a lot, as it leaves me something to do while taking a break from the real stuff on 3 hp. ;)

Aug 19, 2006 at 8:57 PM
Adilor
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
Definitely a fun mod. My time sucks (15:45.1, Spur/Nemesis) but I'm working on it. Personally I don't see how I'm going to shave 6 minutes off, but I know where I can improve a lot...

Sep 4, 2006 at 3:02 AM
Fieari
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
My first Balos victory (using Spur)! At... umm... 20 minutes, 16 seconds.

Well, I wasn't shooting for time. I downloaded this mod because I've never beaten Hell, 'cause I kept dying on Balos, and actually getting through Hell itself was such a long pain that I never really got to practice. I edited the boss rush to include a save point, so I could keep practicing, but lo and behold, turns out I didn't need it, and I made it straight through 3rd try (3rd try was when I got sick of starting over after dying on Balos again... and again... and just wanted to save so I could figure out how to beat the freakin' dude!)

Awesome mod here! After I finally beat Hell for real now, I'll have to actually try for a Boss Rush RUN. I've gotten pretty good at most of the bosses now, and many of them actually go down in seconds...

On the subject of Monster X? I always considered those other dudes as part of the boss fight. They're easy enough to beat... just keep running away from the boss at the beginning, focus on the roaches... one lvl2 blade get's 'em each, and there aren't that many.

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:23 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Um, does anyone still have this? If so, could they reupload it somewhere? I'm dying to try this.