MOD: Cave Story Boss Rush

Jul 6, 2006 at 10:34 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
New mod download it here!

http://rapidshare.de/files/25227794/Cave_Story_Boss_Rush.rar.html

If anyone wants to host it somewhere else (I hear alot of complaints bout rapidshre) please feel free.

So this game is called Boss Rush and as you might be imagining its all the bosses in a normal game of cave story in a row. You can swap weapons, get missles, and health powerups at any point between bosses that you would be able to in a normal game. You can choose between the normal ending, and the good ending based upon your choices to get the tow rope, booster 2.0 and fight ma pignon. At the start of the game you get the clock, but you only keep it for the good ending. If you want to record times for beating the normal ending take note of the clock when it says "defeated undead core" after that, it'll disapear.

Im only human there are no doubt some mistakes in this, if you find one please let me know! I'd like to get this as perfect as I can.

My thanks go to Upthorn for helping me with this project, as always your help is highly valued. On a side note today is my 22nd birthday, so play it as a birthday present to some douche on the internet that you don't even know.

Hope everyone enjoys it!
Who can get the best time?

Jul 6, 2006 at 11:14 PM
"..."
I only tried it a few times (I plan to try again later), but ther farthest I could get was Monster X.

It's the lack of saving that kills me. But don't put it in, that would just ruin the challenge. It's not like I'm the example of everyone who plays Cave Story. :o Actually, this helped me see how much more useful the Fireball is than I previously thought. I actually do better using it in every boss after you get it up until Pooh Black.

Jul 6, 2006 at 11:40 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
uh, if you press down while holding the machine gun, the game freezes for me.

Jul 7, 2006 at 12:56 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You get the Arms Barrier three times.

You get the life capsules from the Plantation before the Sisters fight.

I lost at the Undead Core because I expected to be able to rest in between the fights, and therefore emptied all my missiles and hitpoints into Misery and the Doctor. It would be better to warn them beforehand that you will be fighting the entire final fight in a row.

Seriously, there's nothing stopping you from using super missiles on everything after you get them. I suppose that's true for the original game as well, but in the original game it never occured to me to super missile all the boss fights. That's probably because you get super missiles after the Blade, and when I have the Blade I almost never use anything else. I'm a sword addict, what can I say?

This was fun. Good work.

Jul 7, 2006 at 1:07 AM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I gave it a shot; it crashes (hard) when you press down with the machine gun like Nora said. :x

Happy birthday man, great hack so far other than the machine gun problem. :o

Jul 7, 2006 at 1:46 AM
"Huzzah!"
that file hosting website Is the antichrist as soon as the website loads it sends pop-ups swarming at you & it doesn't even support AOL's web browse so I had to use internet explorer to download the thing

you should just use that japanese doukutsu uploader site it's MUCH BETTER!

Jul 7, 2006 at 1:48 AM
"..."
Looked thru the code, the arms barrier issue was very obvious and easily fixed, when I tested the machine gun it didn't crash on me. Two birds one stone maybe?

Koneko its highly possible to get the plantation life ups before fighting the sisters. Its all in your order of operations, if u get the missles from the sisters before going for the life ups it dosn't let you. Also there is no break because there is no break in the real game, and thats really what I'm going for.

Thanks RuneLancer! Nice to see someone read my whole post.

Here is the version with out the problems already listed (hopefully didn't test extensivly)
http://rapidshare.de/files/25227794...s_Rush.rar.html

First post being edited with same link.

Jul 7, 2006 at 2:30 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
nope, still freezes for me. =(

Jul 7, 2006 at 3:04 AM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Still crashes here too.

It shouldn't crash for everyone but just one person; that makes no sense. Something else must be causing it. Did you try redownloading it yourself and giving it a whirl? Maybe the upload process is causing problems...

I usually host my stuff on filefactory. It's got a chunky interface but it works just fine once the file's uploaded. Give that a shot if you need some alternate hosting.

Jul 7, 2006 at 3:50 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I like this mod alot heh.

My time was 10:49"1

Jul 7, 2006 at 4:12 AM
"..."
Still freezing huh... Guess I got more work on my hands here... Aight sorry everyone, I'll try my best to get it fixed tommarow. Can't wait to get it working and race, zomg... this makes me mad :o
It was working so perfectly 10 minutes before I uploaded...

Jul 7, 2006 at 1:27 PM
"Huzzah!"
dont use rapidshare use the doukutsu uploader site

Jul 7, 2006 at 9:59 PM
"..."
Seems I'm retarded, the game freezes if you have the machine gun when you get the life capsul because I had a infinate loop going.

AMJ0004:5030
FLJ0304:5002

Good job me, so thats taken out now.

I added in a free full heal between the undead core and heavy press (because even though I couldn't find it in the script it happens, you have full hp an your way to the prefab building) soooo It's pretty close to complete.

Here it is again... only less flawed, get it here. (updating first post)
http://rapidshare.de/files/25227794/Cave_Story_Boss_Rush.rar.html

Or here as caveoholic suggested.
http://doukutsu.rdy.jp/

EDIT: My best time. 8'35''9 Blade and Spur

Jul 8, 2006 at 8:49 AM
Slacker
Improved my time a bit heh

I got 8:22"9 with the Blade and Machine Gun.

Jul 9, 2006 at 7:05 AM
"..."
Nice time! Wonder if i'll be able to top that.
My worst fights are normal core, and frenzied toroko. Do u have any advice on how to take them faster? Also can u kill balfrog consistantly before the high jump? I normaly get him down to 1 fireball shot left, on his 3rd mouth open, then he jumps and eats up precious time.

What do u fight ma-pignon with Chaddy?

Jul 9, 2006 at 11:22 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
SeriousFace said:
can u kill balfrog consistantly before the high jump?

That's easy. Just stand directly under his open mouth when you shoot him. His shots will go over your head, and you won't be close enough to take damage from him.

Jul 9, 2006 at 12:57 PM
Slacker
SeriousFace said:
Nice time! Wonder if i'll be able to top that.
My worst fights are normal core, and frenzied toroko. Do u have any advice on how to take them faster? Also can u kill balfrog consistantly before the high jump? I normaly get him down to 1 fireball shot left, on his 3rd mouth open, then he jumps and eats up precious time.

What do u fight ma-pignon with Chaddy?

Those are probably my worst as well. The core wouldn't be so bad if the missles were level 3, but since you don't get enough XP between them, it's kinda tougher. I just usually blow all my missles, and when those are gone, I lure him to the right part where you can stand, and soon as he opens up I blade him like no tomorrow which closes him up quite fast. The machine gun also helps here to get your footing back if you fall in the water cause you can fly with it. The frenzied toroko is much much easier with the machine gun, and once you got her down to kinda low HP and you can go suicidal with the flame and finish her quick.

About Balrog, eh, I dunno, sometimes I can and sometimes I can't.

For ma-pignon, I spam all my flame shots, and switch to Machine gun till the flames are gone and I use them again. Rinse repeat. Since the room is qutie small and he stays on the ground most of the time the flame shots usually hit. You could probably spam him with the flame going suicidal, but I haven't tried it.

Jul 9, 2006 at 4:54 PM
"..."
upthorn said:
That's easy. Just stand directly under his open mouth when you shoot him. His shots will go over your head, and you won't be close enough to take damage from him.
Thats pretty much what I do. I can usualy get 94-99 damage each time he opens his mouth, after the 3rd mouth open like this, he usualy has a shread of hp left. Making it so frustrating when he high jumps and I can't kill him for another shrug 5 seconds? Guess it dosn't sound that bad, but durring each moment of those 5 seconds it feels like he is insulting my sexuality.

Not being able to have lvl 3 missles on the core is unrealistic too. Do u think the game (or your time) would benefit if I added a means to get more energy but sacrifice some time for it? Maybe add another energy capsul at one side of the map (with maybe 15 in it?) and when you shoot it another one spawns in the other corner, shoot it, and the first one respawns again. It only bothers me a little bit, but in the real game if you have time to get any energy, you have time to fill up.

Jul 10, 2006 at 4:43 AM
Slacker
SeriousFace said:
Not being able to have lvl 3 missles on the core is unrealistic too. Do u think the game (or your time) would benefit if I added a means to get more energy but sacrifice some time for it? Maybe add another energy capsul at one side of the map (with maybe 15 in it?) and when you shoot it another one spawns in the other corner, shoot it, and the first one respawns again. It only bothers me a little bit, but in the real game if you have time to get any energy, you have time to fill up.

I don't really mind it actually. Using super missles on every boss is boring to me anyway.

It would probably save just about 10-20 seconds(Just a guess...probably more) having level 3 missles on the core, because you could do the damage to close him faster and start the pattern over. But since you'd be taking extra time to get extra energy for the missles on the first place, I dunno if it'd be worth it.

I like it the way it is now though.

Jul 10, 2006 at 7:18 AM
"..."
How come no one else is posting there times? Are other people playing this, do you guys like it?