What color is Misery's Hair?

• Total voters
Apr 16, 2008 at 3:05 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Aqua?

... eew. oO

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:09 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I'm going for black too.

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:11 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
It's black, as normal guts would have their hair. But probably after getting controlled by the crown's curse thingy, her hair which resembles her spirit becomes unstable with her pigments at one time glowing to green, which hints her original, kind nature and at other times glowing to blue, where her new, cruel personality takes control. So after the seal is lifted, her hair turned back to normal, black.
Anyone get wtf I said?

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:20 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
andwhyisit said:
Maybe it is the goddess, the one that created the Nemmy.

Options should be:
- Green
- Blue
- Black
- Orange
- Other
You mean the Goddess Jenka created the Nemesis?
And Misery's father the "Gunsmith" created the Spur...

Oh? Don't think so? Well, if you check the ending credits in the Good [past] ending, there's King, Toroko, Kazuma, Sue, Quote, Momorin, Booster, Jenka.
And in the Best [future] ending, Nurse, Doctor, Balrog, Curly, Quote, Misery, MALCO, Gunsmith.... [Gunsmith and Jenka's spot is the same]
Jenka is located very close to where Curly has been kept safe... Gunsmith is located very close to where Quote has been kept safe...
The Gunsmith is far too mysterious. Jenka is the same way. They look similar :
p24857-1-jenka.gif
p34585-1-testsuzou.gif

Alright, there's nothing definitive proving the Goddess or Gunsmith theory :p But still. There's too much left to chance with their placement. The two most unique and powerful robots that survived the 10 year war [whereas the others died], just happen to be in remote locations next to extrodinary people?
Well actually I can think of another reason they are where they are, but I'll keep that to myself :(
Yeah, actually the more I think about it; The ending credits could be grouped by related couples : Nurse, doctor; Misery, Balrog; Curly Quote; MALCO, Gunsmith; Jenka, Booster; Sue, Quote; Kazuma, Momorin; King, Toroko
EDIT: Oh I still think Blue is the true color ;p Green is due to that purplish lighting in her portrait

Apr 16, 2008 at 6:59 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
X-Calibar said:
You mean the Goddess Jenka created the Nemesis?
And Misery's father the "Gunsmith" created the Spur...

Oh? Don't think so? Well, if you check the ending credits in the Good [past] ending, there's King, Toroko, Kazuma, Sue, Quote, Momorin, Booster, Jenka.
And in the Best [future] ending, Nurse, Doctor, Balrog, Curly, Quote, Misery, MALCO, Gunsmith.... [Gunsmith and Jenka's spot is the same]
Jenka is located very close to where Curly has been kept safe... Gunsmith is located very close to where Quote has been kept safe...
The Gunsmith is far too mysterious. Jenka is the same way. They look similar :
p24857-1-jenka.gif
p34585-1-testsuzou.gif

Alright, there's nothing definitive proving the Goddess or Gunsmith theory :p But still. There's too much left to chance with their placement. The two most unique and powerful robots that survived the 10 year war [whereas the others died], just happen to be in remote locations next to extrodinary people?
Well actually I can think of another reason they are where they are, but I'll keep that to myself :(
Yeah, actually the more I think about it; The ending credits could be grouped by related couples : Nurse, doctor; Misery, Balrog; Curly Quote; MALCO, Gunsmith; Jenka, Booster; Sue, Quote; Kazuma, Momorin; King, Toroko
EDIT: Oh I still think Blue is the true color ;p Green is due to that purplish lighting in her portrait
*Stares vacantly with a typical "WTF" expression*
*Comes to the assumption that X-Calibar is on drugs*
*Ends vacant stare*

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:07 AM
Indie game enthusiast
andwhyisit said:
*Stares vacantly with a typical "WTF" expression*
*Comes to the assumption that X-Calibar is on drugs*
*Ends vacant stare*
Well that was unhelpful

First off, there is no mention of Misery's father in the game. So we cannot even speculate who he could be.

This "Goddess" is only mentioned once in the game. Under the item description of the Nemesis gun. So we have absolutely no information on who or what it could be referring to.

And my comment still stands, Quote and Curly are exceptional robots. Who just "happen" to live next to exceptional people : Jenka and the Gunsmith.
It doesn't seem very logical that it is just coincidence.
Need I remind you the door to the Mimiga Village in first cave is the only door in the game that seems to be sealed initially? So the Gunsmith who can create the Spur just happens to live there?
I can accept that it is just chance if you want to argue it. But, really; there is a chance that the Gunsmith is more than just a leftover scientist from the 10 years ago group of humans.

So why am I on drugs?
Is it because I said Jenka and the Gunsmith looked similar? What I meant was they both look quite old. We hear that Jenka is apparently very old, since she's been around since Ballos as well. We have no clue at all about the Gunsmith, except that he can turn a Polar Star into the ultimate weapon, the Spur.

And as for the ending credit graphics :
win.gif

wintrue.gif

You do not find Jenka and Gunsmith's placement odd/without meaning?
They both seem mysteriously important, Jenka for obvious reasons, and Gunsmith for his skill and placement.
As for my comment about the couples... What is wrong with that observation?
You recall Jenka and Booster meeting up at the end credits right? Booster and Jenka never met in the game, yet while the Sakimotos are leaving and the island is falling, he goes to Jenka. So there's nothing odd about pairing their mystery.

Okay finally back to my grand statements about Jenka being the Goddess and Gunsmith being the father to Misery.

Do you not see resemblence in this statue?
Misery2.gif

Misery looks like that statue does she not? Minus the wings of course. But, is that a tail? Or ... is that actually the staff that Misery holds at all times? Look closely... I believe she is holding her staff in her hands.
Note Misery's Green staff is not like your average wooden staff. It is shaped quite oddly as can be seen in the ending credits.
Misery.gif

The pixeled statue is hard to make out to tell the truth. At first I thought she was holding a book, and at one point I Thought there was a bird statue resting on her hand. But, someone I think pointed out that it looks like she's looking at her staff. Maybe the staff is like a snake, and can change shape somewhat at her request? In any case, a green staff is odd...
Do you see something else? What is she holding then?
Friggin pixelation lol can't be sure...

In any case why would Pixel show Misery at the end cutscene at that particular spot unless it held significance? Or at least it should, don't you think?
Now if that statue was actually depicting Misery... or Jenka [younger]; I would easily call someone who looked like that a Goddess I'd imagine. That was where I made the leap of conclusion. Not to mention most everyone always thinks Jenka has or had incredible power, even though we don't see her use it directly. So why couldn't she be this "Goddess". What is so ludicrious about that?

And well the Gunsmith being the father thing was simply a leap of imagination. I've already stated the mystery surrounding him.

totally offtopic : I just finished watching Berserk the anime ;p It was pretty depressing seeing everyone he grew to love die. Great anime though... (I'm serious! But the ending demands a season 2...)
EDIT: seriously why does everyone I know think I'm on drugs at some point :rolleyes*

Apr 16, 2008 at 3:03 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Or it could mean that they're both comic relief, you never know.

Apr 16, 2008 at 9:28 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Roonil Wazlib said:
If Jenka and Tetsuzou were a couple because they were in the same position in the credits, that would mean Kazuma X Balrog O.o
And Kazuma x Balrog :D
Momorin x MZisery :D
Booster x MALCO lol

no no no! shabzot!
What I meant by couple was like a related pair er... analogies.
For the Good ending...
Quote and Sue are similar to what the Best ending means to Quote and Curly...
Momorin and Kazuma are similar to what the Best ending means to Misery and Balrog...
Nurse and Doctor are similar as to what the Best ending means to King and Toroko...
The Hero spot is always Quote.
The heroine spot is either Sue or Curly.
The ally spot is either Balrog and Misery or Kazuma and Momorin.
The spot for allies to the heroine spot is either Doctor, Nurse or King, Toroko.

The key is Sue or Curly Brace. If it's Sue next to Quote then it makes sense for King, Toroko and the humans to be in the end credits. And if it's Curly it makes sense for the people who helped Curly to be in the ending credits...

And finally...
The strange mystery pairs : Booster, Jenka or MALCO, Gunsmith.
I cannot see any connections between those, except that they may exist.

Apr 17, 2008 at 5:53 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
X-Calibar said:
So why am I on drugs?
Is it because I said Jenka and the Gunsmith looked similar? What I meant was they both look quite old. We hear that Jenka is apparently very old, since she's been around since Ballos as well. We have no clue at all about the Gunsmith, except that he can turn a Polar Star into the ultimate weapon, the Spur.
X-Calibar said:
EDIT: seriously why does everyone I know think I'm on drugs at some point :rolleyes*
I was joking. Lighten up will you. I do not think you are on drugs.

Your information was all over the place and didn't make any sense. I said "WTF" in a different way, in a non-serious way (I am me you know :D), and came up with that. I knew I should have put a smiley at the end.

Exceptional People Theory:
The exceptional people argument does not mean anything, if the gunsmith wasn't there then the exceptional person would be King. And most locations you could dump Curly or Quote have a main character.

The Polar Star was a half-constucted spur. The gunsmith made the Polar Star himself. Of course he can finish a gun that he made.

Statue Theory:
Holy crap! That looks so much like a winged misery. I agree with you there.

Daddy Gunsmith Theory:
Priest: Welcome.
Priest: I am Ballos.
Ballos: Ages upon ages ago, in fear of enduring further punishment, I allowed my magic to run wild...
Ballos: The magic became such that even its master's hands could not control it.
Ballos: As I looked on, unable to quell its fiery rage, it took from me my loved ones, my children, my dearest wife...
Ballos: Their cries of agony soared above the flames.
Ballos: I could not avert my eyes, so I merely gazed upon the spectacle...
Ballos: Laughing...
Ballos: Jenka sealed me away, but my magic yet rages out of control even now.
Ballos: Long, long have I waited...
Ballos: Waited for the one who would finally subdue my magic's fury.
Ballos: Now, kill me!
Ballos: Or I--
Ballos: shall kill YOU!!
Under the extreme cruelty of the torture, Ballos's magical abilities finally ran wild.
The king was engulfed in the swirl of magic and destroyed in an instant.
In a single night, the kingdom that Ballos so loved was reduced to ashen ruins.
Misery has less power than Jenka and Ballos, giving the assumption that Jenka's husband had no magical ability whatsoever or very little. He probably died in an instant. I can't prove this but it is most likely the case

Goddess Theory:
Did you know that the witch-woman Jenka once had a brother?
His name was Ballos.
Like his sister, he wielded powers far beyond those of mortals.
Jenka's mother probably. Makes sense.

Credit Grouping Theory:
Isn't it possible that you are just looking way too far into this? It is a bit of a wild theory. Pixel probably grouped where possible and dumped the rest randomly in whatever spots that were left over. It is what I would have done in the same situation.

Apr 17, 2008 at 8:52 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I'm going to say it's green... Don't ask me why, I just think it's green for whatever reason... :D

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:27 AM
Indie game enthusiast
andwhyisit said:
I was joking. Lighten up will you. I do not think you are on drugs.
Lighten up... ......... . . ..?!!!!>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :supervolcanomad:
lol jk :D

I had just finished this series when writing that post :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQmOSpSM3T0
I'm easily influenced... :o

Didn't mean to go overboard, and I even knew you didn't have any bad intentions... [but every once in a while I decide to ignore common sense..!] On the bright side I got to read that wonderful long post of yours :o

Daddy Gunsmith Theory - The only thing I have to add there, is I wonder when Misery was born... Was it before Ballos' fit :D, or possibly did Jenka meet someone later on? We just don't have any information... Was Jenka already really old when all that happened? Argh Pixel!! I don't think he left us any clues to this...

Exceptional People Theory - I won't protest, but I don't agree that the gunsmith isn't an exceptional character, compared to others like the Mimigas, the humans, even Booster etc. It's just still too much of a coincidence that the only door in the game that is sealed by some force, is the small first cave that houses Quote and the Gunsmith...
It leads me to the impression that maybe the gunsmith has been sealed there for a while. I can't see the connection with the gunsmith, but if it had been any other character [besides Jenka], even Ma Pignon in the cave I would accept it :p
But I'd bet my dollar that Jenka has been looking after Curly Brace. She probably told her about what she is, and what the humans did to the Mimigas...
I'd also bet that same dollar that the gunsmith, who lives in a very odd dark, small room, sealed from the rest of the island could mean some connection to Quote.

Credit Grouping Theory - lol All the theories I come up with are probably forming connections that Pixel never intended to begin with... I just try to use logic as my guide, so that I can better interpet Cave Story... Assuming I eventually get the plot finalized for my mod; I really would love to not miss any little hint or connection I could have used to make the games connect better, and maybe give the player a.. "*makes a fist and hits other palm* Ah now I see!" moment.. lol

EDIT: Argh Green hair is winning! You are all wrong! Wrong wrong wrong!
... ... ... I think it's time Blue haired Misery and Green haired Misery duke it out...

Other haired Misery better sit this one out :p [not enough votes for her to win yet!]

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:51 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
The Gunsmith was purely for gameplay. Pixel wanted us to have the Polar Star before entering the Mimiga Village, so he sealed the door. And the Gunsmith was there only for the spur upgrade. Not too mutch for co-incidence at all.

Apr 17, 2008 at 6:37 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Roonil Wazlib said:
The Gunsmith was purely for gameplay. Pixel wanted us to have the Polar Star before entering the Mimiga Village, so he sealed the door. And the Gunsmith was there only for the spur upgrade. Not too mutch for co-incidence at all.
Oh don't take that approach :D
If you look at it that way, most of Cave Story is just for gameplay. What significance does having a keycard in an egg; Cthulhu's existence; a house in the waterway; having messages about the past appear on the screen from nowhere; the giant "ancient" press, breaking the statues in the statue room to reveal other statues; the sunstone seal, etc etc etc
You can assign no significance to these events and realize you are just playing a game, but personally it's more fun to be involved with the game then to ignore the things you notice along the way.

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
X-Calibar said:
Other haired Misery better sit this one out :D [not enough votes for her to win yet!]
No enough votes for Orange but Black is working its way up there. :D

Also you would think that the quiet and the dark would be a better environment for creating powerful energy based weapons. It is also obvious that the Gunsmith prefers to keep his own company. There is also the chance that "First Cave" is where he gets his materials from.

Despite all the puppy help Quote did Jenka was not willing to help him because of what he was until it was too late. Why would she even want to help Curly?

Age does not prove that Jenka and the Gunsmith were related.

There is no connection.

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:30 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Lyger said:
No. Bluish-green. Like this. Only darker.

As to X-Calibar's theories... they are quite interesting, though far-fetched. :D

I think the first door could have been sealed by the Gunsmith himself, to protect himself from the Doctor or something.

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:53 AM
Indie game enthusiast
andwhyisit said:
There is no connection.
lol that sounds like a quote from Cave Story :D

Also you would think that the quiet and the dark would be a better environment for creating powerful energy based weapons. It is also obvious that the Gunsmith prefers to keep his own company. There is also the chance that "First Cave" is where he gets his materials from.
A damp cavern doesn't seem like the best place to create unlimited ammo energy weapons... But, maybe you're right. Interesting though about the materials part~

Despite all the puppy help Quote did Jenka was not willing to help him because of what he was until it was too late. Why would she even want to help Curly?
She did help though, she gave Quote the Life Pot. She was just being careful maybe, as she doesn't even know Quote from the sounds of it. She also sends one of her dogs at the Plantation to give you more life.
As for Curly, I think the extent Jenka could do was watch over Curly as she recovered, maybe hoping she would be the key to ending the tragic cycle they were stuck in.
Jenka : "Even a witch like me grows old and frail...
All I can do now is place my faith in you..."
This is more imagination work, but when Quote shows up with the Polar Star the Gunsmith exclaims that the Polar Star wasn't intended for him! And when you meet Curly, she recognizes the Polar Star right away, mentioning the awful shape it was in...

Age does not prove that Jenka and the Gunsmith were related.
When I originally made those grand statements about Jenka being the Goddess and Gunsmith being the father, it was more of a twisted attempt by me to spark some imagination/thoughtful comments, rather than being true.
Was interested in seeing what everyone thought about it to help me determine how I should proceed.
If the Polar Star was meant for Curly Brace [no real evidence just a theory...] Then it's possible Jenka might know the Gunsmith [just a theory]; as for their relationship [as in a friend? a stranger? etc], I have no idea.

Goes off on a tangent :
And then there's Booster and Jenka. That's the only relationship where there's clear evidence of a connection of some sort. [As Booster visits Jenka in the credits...]
Kazuma : "After you left for the Sand Zone, the rest of us hurried to secure a means of escape. That's when Misery showed up. She got taken off with her, and I haven't seen the professor..."
Booster : "... Really, so Misery sent you here too..."
So everyone went to secure a means of escape. I would assume that means everyone went together to the Egg Corridor. And then Booster was sent to the labyrinth. Sue was taken, and I bet Kazuma hid really fast lol That or Misery just said try escaping now, and proceeded to wreck the Egg Corridor...

Booster : "You see, this island floats in the sky by the power of a certain organism, and I've recently discovered its location. This labyrinth."
When and how does he figure this out... In the egg corridor? Perhaps he found information on it there? And perhaps that is how Misery knew where they were? The Doctor certainly knew about the Core...

Booster : "While he has not yet acquired them, it is only a matter of time. The location is the Sand Zone. The flowers are apparently to be found somwhere in the Sand Zone."
How did he learn of this? Seems plausible that he overheard it from the Doctor or somehow acquired the information before his escape...

But, then there's the fact that instead of escaping with Kazuma, Momorin or anyone he goes and visits Jenka at the end. ...
What am I missing here...

Then of course, it seems like Booster immediately recognizes Quote or his similar looking type of scout robots.
Booster : "!!!"
Kazuma : Oh, do you two know each other?"
Booster : "..... No... ... No, we've never met."

Booster : "In fact... This is one of the armed scout robots that were dispatched to this island 10 years ago."
Booster : "My impression was that they had been completely wiped out, but I do not know the particulars. It's entirely possible that one of them could have..."
I thought perhaps he had learnt of the flower's location from listening to the Doctor or something, but...
Booster : Never mind, we must hurry to find Sue. The Doctor has begun gathering the Mimigas. It seems he has become aware of the red flowers."
Booster : "Kazuma. The Doctor has begun gathering the Mimigas. You know what that means, don't you?"
It seems like he is inferring that because the Doctor is gathering the Mimigas he knows about the flowers and their location. Meaning that Booster must have learnt of the flowers before then...
I'm imagining he may have been on the island during the 10 years ago at some point. That would be when he would have met Jenka...
Unless he meets Jenka at some point before the Doctor takes control.
But, I'm getting the impression it makes more sense that Booster may have met Jenka back then, and that is how he is so familiar with the island already...

Oh and another strange observation, you know how the Gunsmith's cave is sealed by that evil door... .......
Well Jenka's place is sealed by that Sunstone Seal... Just wondering if there could be any relation coinciding with the reason for the seal or something...

Unrelated :
lol I just started a new game, got to the evil door, and ignored that it was an enemy and tried to open it up... The message says :
"?!" then it blew me up taking away my temporary invincibility lol