Misery Story (abandoned :c)

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You're right, I'm sorry. I've just been under a bit of stress lately and haven't gotten around to working on this mod.

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:41 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
._.
Glad you enjoyed it?
Well, how do you think the story can be improved? I thought it was pretty decent.
Also I'm not sure why you didn't use tags for your pictures.
Wait, wait. How can the story be inaccurate? It's not even that far into the story and a lot of it is actual pre-CS events in chronological order, and the rest is new story that I put in to make things fit.
[/quote]

1. I'm not all that tech-savvy, so i don't really know how.
2. The first one was pretty good, but major plotholes like misery and jenka actually discovering the island when jenka knew it was there in the first place, etc.
Just keep on connecting the story together. Maybe add modifications to existing weapons, such as getting parylyzed, poisoned by a flower you threw, that would be neat and make combat really fun and interesting, if possible.

Just keep up the awesome work.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Professional Whatever
New version with a few weird glitches fixed.
It's actually tested now and I ensure that you can play it properly now.

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:53 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Uh... so Ballos is both Misery's uncle AND her father. That's... interesting.

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:53 PM
Professional Whatever
EDIT: Uh...remind me where you found that? I can't find it in the code.

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
This is a pretty good mod, but everything is happening so quickly.
Ballos was supposed to destroy the kingdom he lived in after a long incarceration during which he experienced terrible torture. This isn't brought up at all here, so it all comes off as if he's suddenly snapped and decided to become a villain.
Misery is sent off to improve her abilities so she and Jenka can lift the island (and create the Core, which should probably be done first and require a side quest of its own), but she comes back and manages to pull it off after just falling down a pit and getting a new weapon from that Cthulhu (after he "stole" the one she had... though in reality he makes it better. Which is strange). On that note... it's possible to get stuck in that pit, forcing the player to reset the game.
Then Misery gets to Mimiga Village and up and decides to force her uncle to create a crown for the (future and eventual) Mimiga leader. Shouldn't she try (without success, naturally) to find and consult her mother first?
I would also suggest having her find out about the curse only after the crown is worn by someone.

Finally... if Balrog was not at all involved in these events, how come he's cursed as well? And shouldn't there be a connection of some kind between the crown (and/or Ballos) and the red flowers? After all, the crown's primary function is that of controlling enraged Mimigas.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:26 AM
Professional Whatever
Alrighty, lessee...
Ballos was supposed to destroy the kingdom he lived in after a long incarceration during which he experienced terrible torture. This isn't brought up at all here, so it all comes off as if he's suddenly snapped and decided to become a villain.
Good point, I'll add some dialogue. If anyone can figure out why ballos' body parts are acting up that would be great. I have a suspicious feeling it has something to do with the npc tilesets interfering.
Misery is sent off to improve her abilities so she and Jenka can lift the island (and create the Core, which should probably be done first and require a side quest of its own), but she comes back and manages to pull it off after just falling down a pit and getting a new weapon from that Cthulhu (after he "stole" the one she had... though in reality he makes it better. Which is strange). On that note... it's possible to get stuck in that pit, forcing the player to reset the game.
Will fix/improve both.
Then Misery gets to Mimiga Village and up and decides to force her uncle to create a crown for the (future and eventual) Mimiga leader. Shouldn't she try (without success, naturally) to find and consult her mother first?
I would also suggest having her find out about the curse only after the crown is worn by someone.
Both good ideas, thanks.
Finally... if Balrog was not at all involved in these events, how come he's cursed as well?
I have stuff planned for balrog, but I'm not all that clear on how he'll be cursed yet. I'll think about it.
And shouldn't there be a connection of some kind between the crown (and/or Ballos) and the red flowers? After all, the crown's primary function is that of controlling enraged Mimigas.
Perhaps, but I don't really think they have to directly connect with each other. The crown would have enough power to control enraged mimigas, especially if they can control witches.

Thanks a lot for your help :3

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:50 AM
Veteran Member
I have stuff planned for balrog, but I'm not all that clear on how he'll be cursed yet. I'll think about it.
Yeah, that's going to be difficult unless he is present when the crown is made.
Isn't it possible to either delay the creation of the crown or anticipate the start of Misery's partnership with Balrog so that this happens?

On a side note, based on the exchange between Balrog and Jenka, I always assumed their goal when the crown was made was to take over the world.
"A new master has appeared.
This time, the earth
will be ours!"
"So once again you two
plot to..."

Do you already have plans to explain how/why

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

the first bearer of the crown is not a Mimiga but some strange alligator dude?

Perhaps, but I don't really think they have to directly connect with each other. The crown would have enough power to control enraged mimigas, especially if they can control witches.
I suppose... but it seems to click, don't you think? What with all the red eyes and flowers.
Perhaps it could be discovered that these flowers started blooming after the hatred of Ballos seeped into the land?

Thanks a lot for your help :3
No problem!

Two more things I forgot to bring up...
when you go outside, from the door directly to the right on the same level as the Mimiga settlement, you then eventually fall down into Sacred Grounds. You keep going down and finally get to where Ballos will later be sealed.
The problem there is... when you later return to see him, you get there directly from a door that is ABOVE the one through which you previously left Plantation. So is Ballos' prison below Plantation or slightly above it?
To solve this, I'd suggest making the player go outside when looking for the Kitsune ball from the spot that will later become the prison Quote gets thrown in (and have a simple cave going up before actually getting outside).

Lastly, but this is minor I suppose... all the corpses in Sacred Grounds, I think everyone here assumes are the people of the kingdom Ballos ravaged (and thus Sacred Grounds being the ruined remains of said kingdom). But they are already there before the fact.
I wouldn't know how to solve this one though since it would be kind of silly for Jenka to teleport them in there with Ballos. Unless of course she sunk the entire kingdom underground. But that can't work here since you already have Sacred Grounds as the Kitsune's final resting place.

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
this looks amazing! I loved the demo, and I can't wait to see the final version. Great job! :D

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Professional Whatever
Yeah, that's going to be difficult unless he is present when the crown is made.
Isn't it possible to either delay the creation of the crown or anticipate the start of Misery's partnership with Balrog so that this happens?
I'm gonna see if I can work it out with the way the Crown creation is now. If I can't then I'll change it.

On a side note, based on the exchange between Balrog and Jenka, I always assumed their goal when the crown was made was to take over the world.
"A new master has appeared.
This time, the earth
will be ours!"
"So once again you two
plot to..."
That is a good point. I'll do the same for this.

Do you already have plans to explain how/why

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

the first bearer of the crown is not a Mimiga but some strange alligator dude?

I think you're talking about the second crown bearer, Annachponae. Halda seems more like an anthropomorphic lizard. That's besides the point though, and they won't be native to the Island, so I don't think it would really matter.

I suppose... but it seems to click, don't you think? What with all the red eyes and flowers.
Perhaps it could be discovered that these flowers started blooming after the hatred of Ballos seeped into the land?
Maybe, but it could also be natural. At least in the CS universe. I mean, witches, talking rabbits, the world doesn't seem too realistic.

when you go outside, from the door directly to the right on the same level as the Mimiga settlement, you then eventually fall down into Sacred Grounds. You keep going down and finally get to where Ballos will later be sealed.
The problem there is... when you later return to see him, you get there directly from a door that is ABOVE the one through which you previously left Plantation. So is Ballos' prison below Plantation or slightly above it?
To solve this, I'd suggest making the player go outside when looking for the Kitsune ball from the spot that will later become the prison Quote gets thrown in (and have a simple cave going up before actually getting outside).
It's suggested that it takes a while to get from the Storehouse to the grassy area east, as indicated by the longer "loading period" and the fact that she doesn't appear through a door. This could validate the Sacred Ground's geographic location, as she could be going uphill in between these maps.

this looks amazing! I loved the demo, and I can't wait to see the final version. Great job! :D
Thanks!

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Veteran Member
I'm gonna see if I can work it out with the way the Crown creation is now. If I can't then I'll change it.

That is a good point. I'll do the same for this.
Great! That's gonna be a pretty impressive change in the story if Misery gives into power thirst rather than having the crown made for altruistic purposes. I look forward to seeing her character evolve! (Do take care to make a better job than Lucas did with Anakin ;))

It's suggested that it takes a while to get from the Storehouse to the grassy area east, as indicated by the longer "loading period" and the fact that she doesn't appear through a door. This could validate the Sacred Ground's geographic location, as she could be going uphill in between these maps.
Ah, I see... even so (with the longer load time) it'd probably still be better to have the place accessed from the door on the above level. I mean, if this confused me, odds are others will be equally perplexed.

May 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I LOVE THIS MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 6, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Professional Whatever
I'd be happier if you had more to say than just stating every single mod is awesome. Four word responses that don't give any criticism aren't helpful, and are basically spam.

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:38 AM
Professional Whatever
Double post but you know.

I feel really bad about this but I just can't work on this mod. I never want to work on it, and it feels like a burden more than a joy. I think it's because of the restrictions a prequel has, and I'd really like to try doing a completely different type of mod instead.

I remember someone saying something about continuing this mod if it were abandoned. If anyone wants to take over they can have my development notes and my current copy, as well as whatever music I currently have composed for it. It doesn't mean you have to use any of it, I just have it.

I'm sorry, guys.

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:42 AM
Based Member
That's fine. To tell you the truth, this wasn't my favorite mod. So does this bring the date of overhaul of JNR closer?

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:48 AM
Professional Whatever
._.
Not quite the reaction I was expecting but okay
Hopefully it'll give me more motivation to finish the Brotherhood update. I'll have time this weekend if I stop procrastinating. I'm terrible at map design, but I'll do my best >.>

Jun 2, 2012 at 4:13 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
If this thread is no longer in effect, you might want to consider removing the link from your signature, Lunar.
Because I don't want to play parakeet, I'll just quote someone's past post.

Jun 2, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Professional Whatever
Signatures are a pain to change on a phone, so I'll do it when I'm on my laptop.

Jun 2, 2012 at 4:21 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
It's a great mod so far MD so you should be proud :mrgreen:

Well, rest in piece unless someone decides to pick up where you left off.

Maybe Shmitz will come back for just such an occasion.

Could you imagine? Lol.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Professional Whatever
Thanks! I really appreciate all the support I get for my mods.
And yes, that would be a wonderful twist of fate :3