[MA Winner] <(Schism)> - Demo 1.0

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:36 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I'll get to you about this one soon if you're interested.
I'm interested. In yo-*Shot* I MEANT YOUR MOD. D: Oh yeah I'll help.

Hm, Xaser, maybe you should play the one you uploaded? Maybe you missed a file or something.

Edit - Now the mod crashes upon start up.

Edit - I tried opening it in Sue's to look for the problem, but they say can't load tileset. :/

Edit - Looked into Error.log, hm. They say NpcKings and PrtWhite is missing. :/ I added those files in, still nothing.

Dec 26, 2007 at 7:30 AM
"Huzzah!"
Eh... if you try looking at it in Sue's, it'll corrupt the .exe (due to custom music). Try re-unzipping the .exe from the .zip and run it again. By all means, that should work.

There's no crash at all for me, even in a brand-new installation. Either way, try starting from the profile.dat I posted and play from there (right after the crash spot). It should work. :D

*EDIT: Hmm... that error.log thing is just from attempting to load the (nonexistant) title map. The .exe still has it default to PrtWhite.bmp and NpcKings.bmp, neither of which exist in the zip. Just ignore that... I'll fix it in the next release. Doggone, I *do* have a few bugs to take care of. Speaking of which...

NOTE: When you make it to the third boss, watch all the scenes beforehand but when the battle starts, quit, restart, and skip the cutscene. I, uh, forgot to activate the boss after the cutscene so he just stands there and gets shot at unless you choose "skip cutscene" (since it uses a different script which works). Ugh, gotta love oversights. :p

Dec 26, 2007 at 7:33 AM
Justin-chan
Okay, I'll try.

Edit - What do you mean by clean install?

Dec 26, 2007 at 7:41 AM
"Huzzah!"
Just to make sure it ran, I re-downloaded the zip, unzipped it into a new directory, and fired it up. No crash at that one junction... though it actually did happen to me in the past, I could've sworn I fixed it. >_<

Dec 26, 2007 at 7:43 AM
Justin-chan
Hm. Odd. Took some screenies.
diph.php

Dec 26, 2007 at 8:05 AM
"Huzzah!"
Yeeeargh. I'm clueless. It works fine for me. >_<

Does the posted savegame work for anyone else or does that just crash too?

Dec 26, 2007 at 8:10 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
When I try to load the posted save, it just crashes.

Dec 26, 2007 at 8:34 AM
Justin-chan
My screenshot was using your Save. :/

Edit - Maybe you try uploading it on a different filehost or something? Because it may have uploaded the data from the past or something. Well, I don't know if thats possible, just a guess. :/

Edit again = Got MSN? Maybe we can chat there or something, and you could send it to me, so I can try it, maybe it'll work. Are there any files from your folder that you removed before uploading? Oh and you could tell me the sprites you need, etc.

Dec 26, 2007 at 3:42 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Can you upload the demo somewhere I don't have to register?

Dec 26, 2007 at 4:53 PM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
After defeating the mimiga monster and talking to the browned-hair man then leaving the room by that door it CRASHES.
I have never edited your mod.

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:53 PM
Pirate Member
If I'm correct (doubt it, cause I have no programming experiance) you somehow "lost" to files in your mod, NpcKings.bmp and PrtWhite.bmp. It says so in the error log. You can check it in the folder where Schism is. I tried pasting those files from the real cave story and renaming them to the correct order...But failed miserably.

Now about the mod. It was positively fabulous. Esspecialy the editted sprites, and the music from Pixel's other game Azarashi. But you should've made the first boss a bit harder, because I killed it in like five shots. But it hit me by jumping on my head. I hope you'll fix the crash thing soon. Or else I'll stick ten carrots in my nose.

Dec 26, 2007 at 7:05 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
omfg....

~<3

*awestruck*

Edit - It crashes when you try to leave the room after the cutscene.
I'm trying to fix that... apparrently (oops no mood to spell right :D) Ithink you set your flags wrongly... *looks into it*

Dec 26, 2007 at 8:24 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Glad you finally uploaded this, its all kinds of awesome, although I'm having the crash too. >_<

Dec 26, 2007 at 8:54 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I.P. Freely said:
Glad you finally uploaded this, its all kinds of awesome, although I'm having the crash too. >_<

Its the flags you set... They aren't in sequence...

o.o somehow the flag 200 was set before the 109 one was set... Dunno if that changes anything... I don't think it has anything to do with the TC scripting cause I checked it kinda thoroughly

Dec 26, 2007 at 9:02 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
No, its about PrtWhite.bmp and NpcKings.

Awesome job b.t.w. I love it! :D

Though there were some bugs, like when you jump on the critter on the start to get to the other side without getting the gun before.

Dec 26, 2007 at 9:15 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
im not sure where to go after i get the map system :S. other than that i love this mod, the music is great :D did you edit it?

Dec 26, 2007 at 9:16 PM
"Huzzah!"
Thanks for all the compliments so far, hehe! Aww... it's too bad it won't work past that one spot though. The coolest part of the demo hasn't even been reached yet! So... after much thought, I've decided to pull the download link for the time being until this problem (among others) is all fixed-like. Sorry, guys. >_<

Since the posted savegame crashes, too, I know at least that it's a problem with one map in particular. What drives me insane is that for some reason it never crashes for me (even though it used to), so I honestly can't tell if I do somehow fix the problem. If anyone can somehow help me diagnose this further, you'd be a bloody lifesaver!

NOTE: If you open the game in Sue's to try and fix the problem yourself, the .exe. will become corrupt. However, the problem is in one of the *maps* (Map 7 in particular, Mansion1), so if you just re-unzip the .exe after editing, it'll work just fine. Crazy editors these days...

@JC - Hmm... I don't use MSN... YIM though? I'll nab an MSN account if you'd like me to, though. I probably won't get to you about this until this crash thing is finished, but thanks again for your interest and everything!

Okay, for PrtWhite and NpcKings, I've posted an explanation a page or two ago. They are not involved in the crash at all and only have to do with the (currently missing) titlemap.

Having said that, though, would anyone happen to know where in the .exe it points to map 72 as the titlemap? I'd love to go ahead and change that value to point to an earlier number (as I won't get to map #72 for a while now. :D )

So... sorry for the inconvenience and stuff though. Ugh... I hate bugs. >_<

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:10 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Xaser said:
So... after much thought, I've decided to pull the download link for the time being until this problem (among others) is all fixed-like. Sorry, guys. >_<
Since the posted savegame crashes, too, I know at least that it's a problem with one map in particular. What drives me insane is that for some reason it never crashes for me (even though it used to), so I honestly can't tell if I do somehow fix the problem. If anyone can somehow help me diagnose this further, you'd be a bloody lifesaver!
Yes. I would like to help you, but you just removed the download link. -_-

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:19 AM
Hoxtilicious
I will help too if you want. It would be much easier if you would have a Instant Messager like ICQ/AIM/MSN...

cookie said:
Yes. I would like to help you, but you just removed the download link. -_-

Message me in ICQ.

Dec 27, 2007 at 11:22 AM
Justin-chan
Xaser said:
@JC - Hmm... I don't use MSN... YIM though? I'll nab an MSN account if you'd like me to, though. I probably won't get to you about this until this crash thing is finished, but thanks again for your interest and everything!
Would be great if you nabbed an MSN account since not many people here use YIM, but if you do get one, you will be able to chat with me, Metalogz, xristosx and S.P. <: Well, unless they don't want to. :/ Alright then, if you don't get an MSN account, we can talk by PM.
SP said:
I will help too if you want. It would be much easier if you would have a Instant Messager like ICQ/AIM/MSN...
He has YIM.

Edit - Hm, error.log is referencing NpcKings and PrtWhite. :/ That means it must have something to do with it. Only thing I can assume is that, somehow, the map where you go to after the cutscene somehow is connected to map 72, the original Cave Story introduction scene. Since it does use both NpcKings and PrtWhite. :/ Well, just an assumption. Yes I know you said that you have already made sure it doesn't reference any files not in the zip. Sighs.