"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Xaser said:
Hehe... "clone"? In "Curly's" case, looks are deceiving, my friend. ;P

And thanks for the interest! Soooon....

NOT CURLY!!!!!. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!!!!!!! :D

Nov 16, 2007 at 12:42 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
NOT CURLY!!!!!. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!!!!!!!
This seems to be the perfect time to use the "THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE" cat macro.

Nov 16, 2007 at 2:25 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
xristosx said:
NOT CURLY!!!!!. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!!!!!!! :D
Two actually. One was renamed Quote. :(

Nov 16, 2007 at 9:38 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
jcys810 said:
This seems to be the perfect time to use the "THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE" cat macro.

Yes and it should stay that way MWHAHAHHAHA

andwhyisit said:
Two actually. One was renamed Quote. :D

LIIIIIIEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Nov 17, 2007 at 12:46 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Those screenshots look awesome... where's the demo? :D

Nov 17, 2007 at 2:05 AM
Justin-chan
Non-existant.

Nov 17, 2007 at 2:09 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
I.P. Freely said:
Those screenshots look awesome... where's the demo? :D

He hasnt released one, hes still making stuff

Dec 8, 2007 at 9:16 PM
"Huzzah!"
Hmm. No updates? What the deuce am I thinking? :mad:

So, still no demo. I'm working on it, and everything is all set and ready for release except for a couple of irritating nags... I'm managing to crash the program.

First of all, is there a max. limit to how big a TSC script can be? One such script in my mod is a whopping 24kb (at least 2 and a half times bigger than the longest TSC script in Cave Story). Why is this a problem? Can you say, CRASH?

What I'm doing is using this map early on, then later having a few important cutscene thingies there. The later scenes work just fine, but when I try to enter the map early in the game, it crashes now. It used to be fine until I finished the ending scenes, and somehow I think it's related to the filesize...

I know it *has* to be the TSC script that's wrong, as while Sue's Workshop seems to compile it just fine, CaveEditor gives me an "unknown error." All I can suspect is its abnormally large length. I *really* don't want to have to split it into two maps for scripting purposes only, but if I have to, I really have no choice. 'Tis sad...

Annoyingly enough, I've gotten some troubles with music as well. A certain .org of mine, "Dorian Grey", likes to crash the game as well. I have no leads on this one, though somehow I suspect it may be filesize yet again. At 27kb, it weighs in as larger than even the largest Cave Story .org (Moonsong at 25kb). Does anybody happen to know the limits on these problems? Or at least, if the problem is somehow elsewhere, if anyone can somehow get "Dorian Grey" to run in Cave Story, would you tell me? I'm stumped here, and I'm afraid of trying to push the limits of the engine too far.

(Note: I know that Cave Story doesn't actually play certain drum effects (Bass2, Perc2, and others), but I've stripped them down on the version of the song I'm trying to implement, and it won't work either way. What gives?)

Other than fixing these things, all I have to do is fill out the quick "documentation" and the credits list, and *WHAM*, Demo. Perfect timing for problems to occur, I see. :p

Dec 8, 2007 at 10:35 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Well now that you're found some limits of Cave Story it seems someone should note them down to prevent future issues...like these last minute fixes. :mad:

And I can't wait for the demo! :p

Dec 8, 2007 at 10:49 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
i dont think it would be size issue, but if it is....
O_O"

Dec 8, 2007 at 11:57 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
well, if there's too much script in a map, make another map the exact same for various parts of the script; such as events that'd happen in the future.

Dec 9, 2007 at 2:34 AM
"Huzzah!"
I'm actually worried about winding up with too many maps. I'm not shooting for making the game MMORPG-huge or anything, but from what I hear the limit is 128, and the demo's already 1/4 of the way there! o_O

But yeah, if all else fails, I'll try that and hope for the best, hehe. :mad:

Still not sure about the music though. All the other songs seem to work fine. It's just "Grey" that doesn't like me.

Dec 9, 2007 at 3:08 AM
Hoxtilicious
Xaser said:
First of all, is there a max. limit to how big a TSC script can be? One such script in my mod is a whopping 24kb (at least 2 and a half times bigger than the longest TSC script in Cave Story). Why is this a problem? Can you say, CRASH?

Xaser said:
What I'm doing is using this map early on, then later having a few important cutscene thingies there. The later scenes work just fine, but when I try to enter the map early in the game, it crashes now. It used to be fine until I finished the ending scenes, and somehow I think it's related to the filesize...

I don't think so, if it crashes it's most likely a scripting issue. :mad:

Xaser said:
I know it *has* to be the TSC script that's wrong, as while Sue's Workshop seems to compile it just fine, CaveEditor gives me an "unknown error." All I can suspect is its abnormally large length.

Upload it then :p

Xaser said:
Annoyingly enough, I've gotten some troubles with music as well. A certain .org of mine, "Dorian Grey", likes to crash the game as well. I have no leads on this one, though somehow I suspect it may be filesize yet again. At 27kb, it weighs in as larger than even the largest Cave Story .org (Moonsong at 25kb). Does anybody happen to know the limits on these problems? Or at least, if the problem is somehow elsewhere, if anyone can somehow get "Dorian Grey" to run in Cave Story, would you tell me? I'm stumped here, and I'm afraid of trying to push the limits of the engine too far.

Ahh, I don't think you are pushing the limits of the engine...
Actually a single .org can't be too big.
I have a 35kb .org in my mod.

Well, maybe all the .org's together 'cause the problem, maybe they are too big together.

Dec 26, 2007 at 2:26 AM
"Huzzah!"
ZING!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
The Demo is Here! (check first post for downloads if available)

Grab it while you can! Oh wait, there's not a limited supply, is there? Hmm... ;P

So, about that script-related crash bug, it turns out I was missing a <PRI somewhere somehow and the game reeeally didn't like that. That's fixed, but I'm afraid I still couldn't get the intro music to work. I hope you guys don't mind requiem.org for the time being. ;P

So, take a look! Merry Christmas, you guys!

Dec 26, 2007 at 3:10 AM
Justin-chan
HOHOHO. Merry Christmas! Topic made near Halloween and demo released after Christmas. *goes2play*

Edit - Hm, I realise you use bmps (like I do), and you didn't include the other files that haven't been edited. So I had to import my own files. But, maybe you should include the other renamed bmp files seeing as those who use pbms will have to manually rename one by one. :/

Edit again - 3 times in a row I fought Ravil/Discard, 3 times in a row it crashed. :/

Is the demo like ended or something?

Edit again - Now the mod refuses to work. It doesn't start up. :/

Dec 26, 2007 at 4:55 AM
"Huzzah!"
This is... odd. Does it crash after the scene (when entering the door)? I could've sworn I fixed that. o_O

So, crap. If this problem isn't fixed, I might have to pull the demo for a bit (unplayableness ack!) This is reeeeally weird, I say. If anyoene else has this trouble, let me know.

Also, you don't need any other files to run the game. No need to import anything except maybe your config.dat in case you're like me and hate re-mapping controls all the time. I made sure the maps didn't reference any .bmps that aren't in the package. ;)

Finally, there is no map 72, so there should be just a blank screen at startup. Hit the jump button and it should continue fine.

Dec 26, 2007 at 5:19 AM
Justin-chan
Yeah. When I try to enter the door after the guy talks to me, crash.

Edit - Want me to upload my Profile.dat?

Edit again - Need any help with sprites?

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:08 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It crashes for me as well.

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:10 AM
"Huzzah!"
All right, this *is* strange. I tried it from a clean install from the very beginning, and no crash. This is *weird*...

So, uh, yeah. I'm clueless, woo!

Here, just because, I've posted a save right on the other side of the door: link. Play on if you so desire. Bugs ahoy, I see. :D

Thanks for pointing this out anyway. Maybe we can diagnose a solution eventually?

Hehe, I just noticed I forgot to take "debug save" off the menu (will do for next release). Use it if you like but if you save in unpredictable places (i.e. boss fight), you'll get wacky results. :p

*EDIT: @JC: Hmm... I actually just might need a bit of help with spriting. You've proven to be much better than I (Enigma!) and I *am* missing quite a few... thanks like crazy for the offer! I'll get to you about this one soon if you're interested.

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:20 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Wow. I mean, really, wow. It astounds me that someone could do that much with the cave story engine. Awesome, awesome job. :D :p

It does crash for me after the discard fight, but other than that this is awesome.