Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 29, 2007 at 7:04 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 29, 2007 at 10:46 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Ya know, I still find it funny as heck when 'Xaser.doc' is corrupt. It's questionable, though. Is it corrupt as past-tence, or future? I suppose corrupt is corrupt, nomatter how you look at it, though. :p

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:44 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
That was truly epic. I sincerely applaud you. This is simply astonishing. The story is absolutely perfect. I particularly love the awesome Manga/Anime style mug shots. There are a couple noticeable glitches here and there, but they’re are so utterly insignificant they can easily be ignored. One such glitch is that in the first part that contains water, there is a certain spot that allows you to automatically regain all of your air. In the town, you can jump through one of the layers of the roof, causing a sort of clipping effect that gets you on top of the roof. This allowed me to easily get the Map System, possibly early, though I haven’t looked into it. I’ve only gotten to the first town, and yet, I still consider this to be one of the best Mods I’ve ever played. In fact… Let’s just say that Jenka’s Nightmare isn’t my absolute favorite anymore. Maybe my favorite Cave Story sequel Mod, but this… This is just an amazingly perfect original Mod. I’m truly impressed. I can’t praise your abilities enough. I wish I could mod this well…

I guess I felt like kissing your ass since you did the same to me not too long ago.

Dec 30, 2007 at 1:26 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
ZTaimat said:
Ya know, I still find it funny as heck when 'Xaser.doc' is corrupt. It's questionable, though. Is it corrupt as past-tence, or future? I suppose corrupt is corrupt, nomatter how you look at it, though. :p
I'ts actually a .docx renamed as a .doc :p

Dec 30, 2007 at 10:24 PM
I found another problem. When any character sprite is going up one of the slanted streets in the first city, particularly you're own and the 'Shrooms, some of the "concrete" of the street overlaps the sprite. It just kind of looks clunky, that's all.

Dec 31, 2007 at 2:24 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
What's your YIM Xaser?

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:06 AM
Luls
Kageryushin said:
I found another problem. When any character sprite is going up one of the slanted streets in the first city, particularly you're own and the 'Shrooms, some of the "concrete" of the street overlaps the sprite. It just kind of looks clunky, that's all.

Its made that way because tiles are a fixed shape and cannot be changed. Otherwise you would have a staircase isntead of a slope.

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:12 AM
Metalogz said:
Its made that way because tiles are a fixed shape and cannot be changed. Otherwise you would have a staircase isntead of a slope.

Uh-huh... I see... I did mention that I'm not too astounding with this stuff, right? Yeah...

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:28 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Metalogz said:
Basically right, yes. Now that I think on it it's probably because the sloped blocks are meant to be 2d rather than 3d... so the part of them that should be invisible is now a square of road and thus it covers up the sprite. This could possibly be remedied by making the 'far' edge of the road the slope that the charcter walks up, and having the excess road represented by some static blocks, to fill in the 3d 'width' of it. I'll explain it better if that doesn't make sense x.x

Dec 31, 2007 at 7:17 AM
Luls
DoubleThink said:
Basically right, yes. Now that I think on it it's probably because the sloped blocks are meant to be 2d rather than 3d... so the part of them that should be invisible is now a square of road and thus it covers up the sprite. This could possibly be remedied by making the 'far' edge of the road the slope that the charcter walks up, and having the excess road represented by some static blocks, to fill in the 3d 'width' of it. I'll explain it better if that doesn't make sense x.x

lolol... I understand you... Hmm........ Hey Xaser i made a little Matrix background that you might want to use lmao xD (for Archive's background)

:D

Jan 2, 2008 at 8:07 AM
"Huzzah!"
Woo! Happy new year! Hmm... a long reply is in order for "celebration purposes" or whatnot. :)

Thanks again for the compliments and feedback! I'm kinda surprised... this mod started as just a little hack as a vehicle to use the storyline, but it keeps growing and growing...

A little about the 'glitches' (thanks Kager): I have noticed a few strange things here and there, though a few are surprising. Firstly, the Highway map was my first created Doukutsu level (besides the one-screen Crash Site), so by then I didn't realize the oddities presented by incomplete slopes. Yeah... I *do* need to revise a few of those underwater areas in particular. I'll do that eventually. :p

Regarding the rooftop bug: Egad! I never noticed this, but you're right. I can reach that automap within seconds... not quite intentional. I'll fix this eventually... blame the physics.

Regarding sloping roads: Yes... sadly, Cave Story's slope tiletypes also have the "foreground" flag set as well, meaning the tile graphics always appear over the player graphic. It looks really nice normally, but Pixel didn't foresee anyone trying to add "depth" to the tile graphics. I wonder if it's possible to somehow "fill in" a few of the missing tiletypes and use them as "background slopes", making this render properly... 'Tis a shame that Doukutsu doesn't have multiple layers a la Rm2k3. :p

Regarding skies: I don't care much for the non-scrolling either, but sadly I have no choice in this case. Obviously, sky backgrounds don't tile vertically well, and the Cavestory engine can't seem to handle backgrounds larger than 320x240, sadly (otherwise the underground Highway areas would actually be underground). If there was a way to scroll only horizontally, I would do that...

And a few individual responses:

@Doublethink: Thanks for your little mini-review of sorts! Hmm... the Gaudi projectiles were somehow missing from the .bmp after I stripped it down (my bad). Thanks also for your thoughts on the plotline. I've forever got a "humor complex" or something, and I simply can't resist the occasional random punchline. Yes, maybe there seems to be a little *too* much comic relief on Xaser's part, but I'm sorta trying to accent his character a bit. For, you see, he's missing a few screws and acts it quite often (his intro dialogue after the crash, for one). Eventually he'll come around though.

And about Morgan's initial reaction to Xaser: She's always known he was a little wacky (to the point of frequently annoying her) and when he shows up with a gun, setting off every alarm in the place, she's obviously under the impression that he's snapped. A loony with a gun is a *very* dangerous proposition, though obviously he's not really that much stranger than usual. How nice. :p

*sigh*, it seems there's only so much I can explain in this interpretation. Despite its complexity and the huge amounts of dialogue, this mod actually posesses a very stripped-down version of the plotline at hand. I'm trying not to lose too many details in the conversion, but it's tough trying to develop characters like this. Pixel did it wonderfully, but I'm no minimalists. Those details are tough... ;P

@Kager: Hehe, thanks for your compliments and review, but don't get the idea I've been sucking up. I've never quite seen an individual with your skills in forum combat, I should say. An interesting spectacle at the very least. ;P

@Metalogz: The Archives background is a little odd but somehow I kinda like it. The 'classical' look contrasts the techy foreground so much it works somehow. Though, I'm interested in seeing that background of yours anyhow. I just may have use for it. :p

@Garde (and all else interested): I'm 'Xaserius" on YIM. Not *too* hard to remember I hope... otherwise I'd have forgotten it myself by now. :p Give me a 'ring' any time I happen to show up... just if you've got a different username than your forum name, make sure and identify yourself for justice purposes.

Woo... I spent far too long writing all that. How nice. XD

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:52 AM
Luls
Erm... Its kinda simple to make actaully... spam the screen with green lines of different shades and just use the pencil tool and anyhow squiggle around the whole picture... <:

Anyway I'm gonna give the link soon... Gotta upload ><

Edit-
diph.php

There you go =S... I don't feel too good about it though lol. It could make things hard to see in your mod ><

Jan 2, 2008 at 7:13 PM
Hoxtilicious
That's cool Metalogz! :)
Can you do some for me too?

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:15 PM
I, frankly, think the dialogue is completely fine, if not perfect. The characters and the story exude a certain, infallible charm that few games possess, something akin to the traits exhibited by the original Cave Story. I just finished the demo a couple days ago, and it was indeed extremely epic.

The game looks amazingly great, and after New Fork City, I didn’t find even one glitch! The Archive looked pretty cool, and then there’s Morgan, who I thought was extremely annoying at first, but who slowly became more acceptable over time. Of course, I ran into Enigma, the obligatory Balrog, and had quite the enjoyable clash with him. And then came Escher, who‘s basically the badass of the Mod. Now that battle with him was pretty epic. I can’t help but think that he’s probably going to pull a Kefka/Dimentio halfway or maybe at the end of the Mod, which will only make him even more awesome. So the Gaudis will be replaced with soldiers who possess their AI later on? That’s nice to hear, they didn’t really fit in anyway.

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:07 PM
Luls
You like his mod for his cool dialogue I can tell lol.

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:34 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Some mods have hardcore gameplay.
Some have awesome story.
Some have fun characters.
Some have beastly secrets.

I hope the full thing has all of this. The presentation falls no shorter than brilliance.

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:47 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Okay so I decided to play through it again when my brain was actually working, and it made much more sense this time! And the humour isn't as overly thick as I remember it being, although perhaps that is by virtue of playing the game again... and somehow I get the feeling this is the kind of mod I'll have to play through several times for one reason or another XD. Oh, and I managed to find a couple more bugs/things I didn't mention before...
Spoilers'n'Stuff (Heh, that could be the name of a car accessories shop! :))

-There's a text bug that occurs when chatting with a certain Cthulu-esque traveler (attached pic related).

-After the scene with Ian that finishes with you about to go to the Archives, if you jump up onto the platform just above, an event triggers that causes the character to jump backwards to the right twice, and then makes it impossible to get back to the teleporter that way (V-Trigger maybe?).

-In the Egg Observation Room Equivalent, if you grab the Missile Launcher while still fighting the Gaudis, the music returns to being Gestation, and for that matter, the Gravity music will keep playing after they're all beaten.

-Another little spelling error (other attached pic related).

That's it so far, stopping now because I want to find that secret in the archives >.> Sorry if this seems unneccessarily picky, but I'm assuming you want your mod as bug-free as possible... and I possibly have a fetish for debugging <.<

Oho.

Edit: I decided to watch the ending scene again anyway. Man, that thing is long... and very informative now that I actually take it in. I don't think I mentioned before how well-done that scene is that portrays the whole 'time' issue... the mod as a whole must have been a pain to code :| Oh, and on-topic: in the battle with Escher, his bullets 'skid' up the slope on the left of screen. I think it looks kinda cool, but... >.>;

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 74
  • ssssss.JPG
    ssssss.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 74
Jan 12, 2008 at 7:30 PM
"Huzzah!"
Thanks for the comments/reports! You guys keep catching things, I see... hmm. Bugs? Call me the exterminator! (cheese++)

@Textbugs: Whoops. I wonder how I didn't spot the first one... and somehow triple S's are so hard to ssspot these days!

@"Jump" bug: My bad. That event is there to stop the player from triggering the cutscene from the upper level (wouldn't make sense... Xaser would talk to thin air!). I guess I forgot to <DNP the darn thing after the scene is over, hehe! Thanks!

@Gaudi fight: I wish I could change this, but somehow I couldn't figure out how to get an event to execute when *all* the Gaudis are dead. 'Tis easy to do for one, but not all. I cheated here... nabbing the Missile Launcher triggers the "end' of the battle-- you can save and exit the room afterwards. I figured that the player would naturally blast all the enemies before being able to make it up the lift, but eh, it's minor. If someone could explain to me how to change this, though, I'll be happy to do it!

About the "skidmarks" (ehehe), well, not much I can do about that. I think it's kinda funny how the bullets keep on going, myself. :eek:

EDIT: This is odd... I changed the topic of the first post but the thread title doesn't change. Guh? Well, uh... I'll forego the "nonsense" argument and ask... mods (Garde, really :p), would you mind changing the title to "<(Schism)> - Demo 0.5" ? 'Tis not Halloween any more... I don't think. o_O

Jan 21, 2008 at 8:19 AM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
@Xaser

Don't you know why your mod file size is big oddly?
There are three files on your zip called "Thumbs.db". Windows XP stores the thumbnail of each image file on your mod. Before compressing any files Xaser, check for trash files and delete them (They are hidden files so you need to "show hidden files and also show system files". Don't use the "view>Thumbnails" when deleting Thumbs.db till you compress your files. Also, this feature is not necessary but useful for old/slow computers because "Thumbnailing" is caching your images' thumbnail so that when you view your images in thumbnail mode later, it will load faster. To disable this (And also, to free some memory for your drive), go to "Tools">"Folder Options">Views>Check the box: Do not cache thumbnails. To free some memory, Go to "Search" then type "Thumbs" on your comp (or whatever). Delete every Thumbs.db (look at the file type).