King: Strife and Sacrifice (AKA King's Story)

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:33 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Cave Story said:
The screenshots have convinced me to at least try it... I'll tell ya what I think about it after I play for a bit, but now (as I'm typing this) I have to leave.

Well good!
IMO this is the best mod evar :D

Love the game Noxid, just can't seem to get the Golden Flowers you're supposed to trade to get :pignon:

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:56 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That's because you need the
secret
item for that :pignon:

This post contains exactly one hint as to where it is.

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:19 AM
Been here way too long...
Haha I see what you did thar

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:31 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Noxid said:
That's because you need the
secret
item for that :pignon:

This post contains exactly one hint as to where it is.

And I was looking through the Resevoir the entire time...
Anyways, I found it. Now give me a •hint• so I can talk to it.

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:02 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
K', I'll tell you what I told Voyce, and that's that attempting to use it immediately might prove.. disappointing. Also, I'm going to make it do more and more things as I continue to work on the mod. Now, it basically acts as a life pot (and will disappear) upon giving the correct keyword. Perhaps it might be part of some secret weapon unlock late in the game. Another idea would be that I just have it be like some silly side quest with a cosmetic reward (like the alien medal). Course', the true power of this item is not something that can be realized by just anybody. Hopefully I can come up with a suitable reward for whatever convoluted circumstances I work up for this little diversion.

I've given you your hint.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:03 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Well, I was gonna write a somewhat lengthy review of this demo, but, looking through the comments, there's nothing I would've said that hasn't been said already, so I'll just settle for a good, old fashioned,
p83016-0-stockvectorvectorillustrationofagoldenandsilversealofapproval24533299.jpg

:awesomeface:

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:26 PM
"Huzzah!"
Noxid said:
K', I'll tell you what I told Voyce, and that's that attempting to use it immediately might prove.. disappointing. Also, I'm going to make it do more and more things as I continue to work on the mod. Now, it basically acts as a life pot (and will disappear) upon giving the correct keyword. Perhaps it might be part of some secret weapon unlock late in the game. Another idea would be that I just have it be like some silly side quest with a cosmetic reward (like the alien medal). Course', the true power of this item is not something that can be realized by just anybody. Hopefully I can come up with a suitable reward for whatever convoluted circumstances I work up for this little diversion.

I've given you your hint.

GENIUS

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:13 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
If you press down on one of the elevators the game crashes.

Same thing happens if I ask the professor to tell me the long story.

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I am aware of this
And I am pretty sure I fixed the elevator thing in 0104... but there are other things that *aren't* fixed as well. I'm kind of in the middle of exam week so I don't really have time to work on it right now.

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:33 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I don't know if anyone's pointed this out yet, but in the Crystal Caves if you jump into the large spike pit and land just right, you won't die. I figured this out by a fluke, and I can't tell if it was a glitch or I just got very lucky and landed in the pixel between the end of one spike and the block it was on. (kinda hard to explain what I'm saying). Also, mine says C 2004 Pixel Studios, and is N0xid 3/21/2011... So do I need to update it? If so, is there a way to update it without losing my data?

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:51 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Hm, well being able to land in the spike pit is something I hadn't counted on. I guess I'll have to tweak some hitboxes..

And you mean the copyright thing? I'm just leaving the 2004 in because whatever. You have the most recent one, bugs and all. When I DO make a new version, I will try my best to have the save data be compatible (i.e. I won't erase large swaths of the game again)

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:16 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Downloaded this without knowing about the 2x res hack you guys made...
Imagine my surprise :momo:

A quick review of what I've played so far :
Opening CG was a nice touch...

Took me a little while to get used to King's innocent look, but it works out quite well, especially with what happens later...

LOVED walking around the bustling Mimiga town. All the little touches really made it come to life.

I was seriously DISTRAUGHT when everything went to the crapper! I'm not sure I'm 100% onboard with how the turn of events played out. But, it's wonderfully put together.

The first time they attacked those robots had me completely pinned. [waited too long trying to figure out what those bad boys were going to do when I got close to them lol. Before I knew it I was dodging 5 robots at once... nice!]

I really like Love the atmosphere built with the village pre-ROBOT attack. Ah, but the fall down the ladder/ledge thing was eh...
Not convincing enough... If he was closer to the place (right under it!) where the robots first came out I might have gone along with it better. It seemed too totally bad luck. Maybe if a rock were to fall from above him and knock him one or the ground to crumble a little under his feet...

I'd probably make it so when he gets to where he falls currently, it zooms up there and shows dust falling and maybe a crack. Then zooms back to King, and you go there to check it out... then... OMG! And somehow King falls off the ledge. I think you could even move the mom and maybe some mimigas closer at the point where he falls down partways (for the part where he falls down). It seems like the amount of time that passes between King's KO, and everyone is dead could easily fit the time slot of her running away, getting King to safety; and then they catch up just as ...

Ah, anyways just opinions.

... also the beast fang remark was a nice easter egg (no pun intended) :orangebell:)

Oh, and difficulty seems about right for that battle. Pretty epic, even for a bubbler.

The Ctuhulu parts are quite interesting. And the branching plot depending on your answers is a great touch. Replayablity ++ Also amount of work needed probably ++?

Anyways, bottomline I rated your mod a 9/10; aka a must play.
Looking forward to future updates!

(PS -I hope I can apply for the 2x res mod whenever I can get a demo finished... although, making all the new graphics from scratch will be a daunting task...!)

Good luck! Here take this ! :awesomeface:

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:32 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Thank you for the review :awesomeface:

As for the bit about the whole "Falling down the stairs" thing, That's something I've been meaning to improve on for a while. Back in the day, I didn't have the skills to do anything more complicated than that, but I've certainly come a long way and will make it better in future.

May 30, 2011 at 7:15 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Woah man, this MOD simply rulz!!! Great job! My favorite character from Cave story is King, so I really like this mod. Keep up the good job.

May 30, 2011 at 7:17 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Good job bumping it, hero.

You'll get yelled at for sure, now.

May 30, 2011 at 8:01 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
no he didnt. Im pretty sure for a post to be a bump it has to have been 2 months since anyone posted on the thread.

May 30, 2011 at 8:06 PM
Aaaand obvious Portal reference not gotten, apparently.

May 30, 2011 at 8:44 PM
Absentee Modder
Awesome mod so far! And tragic. D: One bug I noticed was that if you enter Arthur's house through the hole in the wall, there seems to be no way out.

May 30, 2011 at 10:08 PM
I know; that's so annoying.

May 31, 2011 at 1:10 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It's because I'm bad at what I do
Anyway I think it's fixed? In the laziest way possible, mind you.
I'm going back to working on the new engine now.