King: Strife and Sacrifice (AKA King's Story)

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:56 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You take it to the guy in the place where the Map System was (will be?)
Also, Mahin is eternally rotund. The newer graphic of him is somewhat smaller though.

I need counsel on an issue I can't decide for myself. Please, if you have time, vote in my poll.

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:35 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
If you're going to do option 1, you better plan out most of the plot branches king will face.

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Plot 1 for sure. It's gonna be a pain in the ass though. You'd need to draw all those fancy spiderweb sketches that define which event affects which character and vice versa.

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:47 PM
"Huzzah!"
If i'm not mistaken, there might be a problem here. One puzzle bothered me in the game because i thought it was incorrect. And i couldnt double check it because the rock sample machines only give readouts before you have solved it. But i went into your TSC and checked it.

Below is the clue:

density almandine
- solubility azurite
+ hardness dark chalcedony

Here it is, with the values in the right places:

+6.68

The answer is 9.11 however the answer is entered, by King as 12.34.

I added all of the values together to see if you did that mistake. This came to a much closer 12.31

But in any case, both solutions dont match 12.34

So you need to change the values or clue around to get 12.34, like this:

density almandine :7.03
- solubility azurite :1.60
+ hardness dark chalcedony:6.91

= 12.34

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:57 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I am bad at updating something that exists on more than one page
I'm sorry D:

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:01 PM
"Huzzah!"
Well it was a good puzzle anyways Noxid. I just had to tell you because well its a bit of a big flaw and i knew youd appreciate someone pointing it out. We cant spot all the mistakes in our own hacks, thats for damned sure.

Mar 10, 2011 at 5:04 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Just so everyone knows I will post a new version or whatever sometime next tuesday (Probably in the evening, piecing this thing together takes forever) regardless of how much I have actually finished but I'm pretty sure at least the Crystal Cave Remake will be finished. The Hub will be unavailable still as it is currently lacking some core components. Those who watch my blog knew about this like, last week or something. I've been trying to work very hard on it all over my march break. Here's the new title screen. I made it and I like it, but this is the rough draft. The final version has a bit more smoothening out of the lines like I sometimes do with my Pixel art.
p82588-0-mocktitle.png

I am aware that should say 2004.
So yeah, like, I'm finally going to share what I've been working on. Don't expect the Gratest Moad Evar because I would really hate to disappoint anybody.. :orangebell:

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM
graters gonna grate
Aw snap, I am excited :toroko:. And the title screen is beautiful.

Mar 13, 2011 at 2:17 PM
Pirate Member
Knowing how much assembly you've engraved in this mod I doubt it could fail to amaze us.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:40 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
New link in OP

I would write a change log but to be honest I don't even know where to begin with one and I've probably forgotten some of what I did anyway.

I am just now realizing I have left Debug Save in. Again. Hrrrrrr

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:18 AM
Excellent.
I'll probably have to repost with info, as this will be buried soon, but I commend you for your spectacular work in assembly.
I'm sure your mod will hold true.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:19 AM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Well back do getting busy i guess.

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:41 AM
Well then, it appears that not many people are online or something. I've finished the demo, and here's some preliminary feedbacks:

In the Mimiga Village especially, there were a lot of 'disjointed' tiles - ie, the edges of one didn't match the edges of another. This was sorta distracting, and you should fix it, but it is not of the utmost importance at all. Thanks for letting us escape the beatyup twins this time.

The music also seemed a tad fastpaced for that zone, but twas very good musics nonetheless.

And just one carryover complaint from the last demo - I do not understand how he falls down that set of stairs. :( Maybe you could have the earthquake hit once he gets to the top and is no the edge? Eh.

Also the dramatic irony/foreshadowing hurt a lot.

The first boss battle, you can stand atop the tile on the bottom left of the stairs, and he kills himself with explosions.

When you reenter your house, the "... but I can avenge them ... " sounds oddly out of place. I think you could probably just remove it, but whatever sinks your anchor.

The dice guys in the crystal cave seemed a tad fast, but i feel like they could grow into just an annoying enemy. Glad you didn't send me through no thin passages. I tried both answers to ctulhu, and they both directed me the same way (also, brotherhood of men in frog uniforms. hmmmm. dragzelire fist!? :orangebell:)

In doing the doublesave, I got to see your ssaving interface, which is verrrrry pretty. I especially like the zonepic that goes with it.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the cutscene graphics and the 2x rez. both made the hack seem more professional, and the cutscene was reminiscent of iji. I was sorta worried 2x rez would ruin the style, but it looks beau.

Although cutpics take a lot of effort to make (I assume), I think one or two more would be nice, especially when everyone is dead. Maybe make the momtalk happen when you leave the hoose, and have that cutscened.

The robo-critter's xp disapparate while the doors are raised.

Two more vague criticisms, and then a vague comment, and then I think I'm done for now.

Firstly, there are a lot of doors/things you can examine that don't have a corresponding TSC code (or it's just an <END), which is sad. Secondly, there are a lot of awesome tracks, but the transitions btween them seemed a little jumpy.

I'm really just amazed by all the hacks, however small, that went into this. Mute system was cool, repositioning the title screen options worked nicely, and for some reason, I was particularly happy with the exclamation point.

All in all, a very good demo.
Gelucken, my lad.

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:00 PM
Pirate Member
Can I use the old profile.dat for the new version??

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:06 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Thanks. I made an internet checklist where I can keep track of all the things that need doing. Unlike a real checklist, I can't lose this one in a stack of papers. More specifically:
I think these disjointed tiles might have been present in the original CS, but you don't notice it so much because of the lower resolution. Either way, I'll fix it up.

Noted, I'll try to balance it out when I do the re-write. That particular song was inspired by the time I removed the music speed limiter in OrgView and it played as fast as my computer would allow.

I'll try to make it more clear. Perhaps even show it happening? I have the skills to do that now that I didn't have 16 months ago.

That thing with the boss is something I was meaning to fix. I wanted the projectiles to be able to damage other enemies as well as the player, but clearly in a low ceiling environment like that it does more harm than help.

Yeah, that's old old old and it was sort of smacked on in the first place. Fix'd

I like how they're fast. I like fast things.

I'm glad you liked the pic, to be honest I wasn't sure what people would think of it. I can try to see about getting more, but since I didn't actually do it myself it may take a bit of time.

The problem with the XP disappearing is due to the little cutscene there taking so long. I could probably shorten it up, I think.

I'll definitely be adding more examines/scripts/dialogue as I go on. I'll also go back and try to make the Exclaimation mark apply to more entities that it should (It's just setting a flag, but sometimes I forget about little stuff like that).
Thanks for playing :orangebell:

EDIT @ Woodenrat: Probably not, but you're welcome to name it prof1.dat and try

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:42 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Lace said:
Mute system was cool,

I actually made that hack, along with the options menu itself and the 25 FPS option (which is what the hack was made primarily for).
I lent it to noxid, like how he lent me his 3 save hack.

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:52 PM
Lent it? Are you gonna take it back someday? :eek:
Nice jobbio though.

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:53 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Mar 16, 2011 at 5:35 PM
Oh hey, thar be a bit moar.
remebereed aboot the other elevator, went dawn and sawn cairn. crashed game bc you called </// as a tsc event. :eek: I'll explore that area a tad more.