Just dreaming...

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:28 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Cave Story Online for the Forums!
Ah wouldn't it be fun though? Instead of just boring ole chat (not that I'm ever on..)... there should be Cave Story the game... Online!

Join the game using your Mirai Gamer login, customize your character; then spawn at the Mimiga Town!

From here you can do several things...
1) Live chat with other players while jumping around and doing various animations.
2) Travel to other parts of the forum which is basically like a glorified Cave Story interface where you can actually post on the forum through playing the game. You can live chat with anyone who is looking at the same topic and is in game.
3) People who are not logged in the game but are browsing the forum could show up in game and be represented by their character or something strange in the background.
4) You can go instant-action fight like in Cave Story cooperatively with others in game. [The ultimate dream would be Cave Story and Mods all available to choose from to play online with players who are on Cave Story Online.]
5) Each character has its own quick teleport animation. Example if you are Balrog, you go Huzzah! or Dorzah! or Huzorya! and fly off. If you are a customized Misery then warp! Quote and Curly would get the bike! [doesn't explode] etc etc... (basically a fast way to switch between forums)
6) Duels! There should be Mu-gen like combat or team battles... or maybe little mini-games or something for players to do...
7) ... needs to be described better, but I can see it in my head!

Just dreaming... but it is too bad we don't have some kind of somewhat faithful multiplayer version of Cave Story...

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:37 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
This dream needs arenas so that members can blow eachother up.

MAKE THIS DREAM COME TRUE
PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ
PLZ PLZ PZ PLZ PLZPLZ
PLZ PLZ PLZPLZPLZ PLZ
PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZPLZ

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:48 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Ah, yes, wouldn't it be the greatest thing? Ever? Such a dream...

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:30 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Captain Fabulous said:
Ah, yes, wouldn't it be the greatest thing? Ever? Such a dream...

I started dreaming about it, then Jacob came in and fucked everything up.

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:15 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Well i dont see that happening, it would be very time consuming and would need a very dedicated programmer, but it would be nice to see that

Jun 27, 2009 at 4:30 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Various Arenas:

In Original:

Old Shack
End of Egg Corridor
Power Room
Gum
Sand Zone Residence
Sand Zone
Storage
Clinic
Monster X
Boulder Room
The Core
Waterway
Egg Observation Room?
Ma Pignon's Place
Last Cave (Hidden)
Throne Room
King's Table
Undead Core
Heavy Press
Ballos's Arena

In WTF Story

Balrog's Arena
Tetris

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:33 PM
I really hate to be that guy, but seriously, you know it'll never happen, right?

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:47 PM
/end
If someone would just fund it it would come true.

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:49 PM
You'd need to fund it and have a team that was skilled and focused. I'd love to have those things, but I don't have money or the required skills. But if anyone else were to undertake such a difficult and epic project, I would worship them.

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:55 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Well, idk about multiplayer but incidentally I eventually want to make a 3d Cave Story, and maybe multiplayer would be a good addition to that.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:08 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I believe a good while ago, there was someone who was working on an online cave story but it never became much and I'm pretty sure it's dead now.

Forgot the name of who started it...

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:14 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Chaddykins said:
I believe a good while ago, there was someone who was working on an online cave story but it never became much and I'm pretty sure it's dead now.

Echidna Tribe.
o.o

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:05 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Their site is...
No-apparent.
o.o

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:08 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Chaddykins said:

JTE/Echidna-san.
http://echidnatribe.org/

And it isn't dead by choice:
http://forums.echidnatribe.org/index.php?topic=41.0

A couple days ago, my external harddrive, which houses absolutely everything I own, gathered, created, wrote, or otherwise wanted to keep EVER, died.

This includes things that I have never given out to anyone, such as the AgL++ source code, the source code to a Java applet I've been experimenting with, and all of SRB2Lua.

... ... ... Gone.

It is apparently recoverable, but I currently do not have the funds. It should require at most $400. Or $200 if I'm lucky. I currently have to my name... Less than $40. And no significant source of income. Sooo... The next time you see anything come from me.. might take a while.
So until the files from JTE's hard drive are recovered there will not be any progress on Agora's Legends. Which is a shame because the level of progress he was making was amazing.

If you really want your "online cave story / holy grail of cs modding" then you could always donate.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/w...47b0aeae66fdbfb2119927117e3a6ad170b0a66ce6e8a

One thing that annoys me is that no-one really understood what Agora's Legends was. The idea was to create a near perfect clone of Cave Story where every aspect of Cave Story was easily editable, and where your mods can be ported to any system that Agora has been ported to. The online part was added on as an extra so that you can add online support to any mod that you create. The first release focused on online play, following releases focused more on mimicking Cave Story.

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:12 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Humm well that sucks..

I never really knew much about the project, as with most mods I just assumed it would never really be finished and just kind of forgot about it.

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:12 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I guess it's better than bumping the year old thread the current topic is on, but...

Speaking of Agora's Legends, I've been meaning to upload a ZIP I have of it, if that's alright with everyone. I'm not sure if it's the most recent version posted on the forums, either (I downloaded it on Jan. 3rd in 2008, by the by)- http://rapidshare.com/files/249850291/AGL.zip

Too bad I didn't get that one WinAmp plugin from the old hosting site, however...

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:59 AM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
A couple days ago, my external harddrive, which houses absolutely everything I own, gathered, created, wrote, or otherwise wanted to keep EVER, died.
SIGH
Just a note about this:
Relying on External Hard drives to store valuble files is a critical mistake. Most of External Hard drives are not that safe and should be only used as backups or files transporter. I have seen such issue with sooo many people both in real in on the Net.

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:29 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator