Jenka's Nightmare Revived - Final release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2011 at 3:08 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Re: Jenka's Nightmare Revived

Ugh. I'm currently being driven insane by the Monster X section, so I won't be testing much of anything until I get past that.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:13 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

Lol. I never got past that part in the original JN without hax. That's why I added a refill station in the middle. It's in the pool halfway through the boss scene.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:28 PM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
Lol. I never got past that part in the original JN without hax. That's why I added a refill station in the middle. It's in the pool halfway through the boss scene.

Except if you go into the pool, the boss's health bar obscures your view of yourself. ;)

Also, I notice you dumbed down a couple of the block puzzles. The ones I noticed as being dumbed down are really simple, why not leave them in?

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:29 PM
Professional Whatever

Really? That never was a problem for me.
EDIT: Ugh. I'm finally done my to-do list for JN. And there's still a chest in mimiga village that doesn't close.
magic9mushroom said:
Also, I notice you dumbed down a couple of the block puzzles. The ones I noticed as being dumbed down are really simple, why not leave them in?
Meh, you're probably right. I'll fix that for the next update, but unless someone objects, I'm not gonna change the one on the debug kitty map.
The thing about the block puzzles, though, is that if you mess them up then you die. And I don't feel like putting save points before every puzzle.
Although taking the entire puzzle out is sort of lazy...

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:25 AM
"..."

Okay, I've played to a fair extent... (last version you linked in a post)

1) I found the Focusing Lens in Egg Corridor. I presume the "Testing" door will go somewhere in a future release?

Also, you did realise that the entire level can be bypassed by running along the bottom, right?

I found that, and the Explosive (remind me where I found that, please, as I've forgotten. Was it the Waterway?) but they say that they're the third and fourth pieces of the puzzle. Did I miss the first two? Or are they in Oblivion?

2) The bottom door of the Mimiga Tower is still screwy. The inner door's fine, but the outer door still goes to Outer Wall.

3) Picking up one of the Explosives before the kitty who drives Monster X gives you Arthur's Key instead (the other two don't appear to give you anything). Was this intentional?

4) Is Genesis: Sky meant to lead to Oblivion: Erosion, and is Oblivion: Erosion meant to lead to the Outer Wall?

5) You should probably make the Address Chips into separate items. Sue connected me to the Labyrinth, but not to that place in Genesis: Water, despite the fact that I picked up both Address Chips.

6) Is there anything in the upper part of Genesis: Water (instead of going right to the Deleets and Kulalas, going up)?

7) Finishing the Waterway screws up the game, dumping you in Reservoir but you're invisible and can't do anything. The only entrance to Genesis I've found is the Graveyard.

8) What hermit were you talking about?

9) My save is now borked thanks to saving in the Waterway.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM
Professional Whatever

1) Nope, it's just the test room. It was just for fun.
And I do realize that, I just have no idea how to fix it.
The explosive is at the end of genesis: sky.
And the number of the piece has no relation to when you get it.
2) An easy fix, it'll be fixed for next update.
3) That was back in the day when I was trying to figure out chests. Apparently I forgot to take it out.
4 )Well, yes, at the end. But I'm changing it so you can only get to the end via booster 2.0.
5) Alright, I'll look into it. I already have some items that just say VOID anyway.
6) I have no idea.
7) Another easy fix; simply an addition of SMC.
8) What? What kind of cave story player are you? The one with the polar star.
9) Please elaborate.

A side note, I won't be doing much work on JN for about a week, because exams are coming up. I will still be as active as ever on the forums.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:15 PM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
1) Nope, it's just the test room. It was just for fun.

Okay.

Is that end of the Egg Corridor going to lead anywhere eventually?

And I do realize that, I just have no idea how to fix it.

Stick a couple of blocks in it, so that you have to go through the Egg Storage Room?

The explosive is at the end of genesis: sky.

Ah, right. I knew I'd picked it up, but forgot where.

And the number of the piece has no relation to when you get it.

Okay. It's a little misleading, though.

2) An easy fix, it'll be fixed for next update.

Okay.

3) That was back in the day when I was trying to figure out chests. Apparently I forgot to take it out.

Apparently.

Are the chests meant to be there?

4 )Well, yes, at the end. But I'm changing it so you can only get to the end via booster 2.0.

I see. *hasn't even figured out how to get the booster 2.0 yet*

5) Alright, I'll look into it. I already have some items that just say VOID anyway.

:)

6) I have no idea.

:balrog:

Um, aren't you the one making the mod?

7) Another easy fix; simply an addition of SMC.

Okay.

8) What? What kind of cave story player are you? The one with the polar star.

Well, I met him in the Dead End. What about him, though?

9) Please elaborate.

Never mind, I was just snarking about the fact that my save is currently stuck due to being in the Waterway and the aforementioned Waterway -> Reservoir issue.

A side note, I won't be doing much work on JN for about a week, because exams are coming up. I will still be as active as ever on the forums.

Good luck.

Oh, a minor issue...

It might be an idea for some of the dialogue to change after the Labyrinth or Genesis. It's a bit weird when the dialogue in Grasstown is identical to before despite having gone through both.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:27 PM
Professional Whatever

magic9mushroom said:
Is that end of the Egg Corridor going to lead anywhere eventually?
Well, yes, it leads to the Outer Wall. You should be able to go there now. Look closer.
magic9mushroom said:
Are the chests meant to be there?
Nope.
magic9mushroom said:
I see. *hasn't even figured out how to get the booster 2.0 yet*
Well, just follow booster-get the fuel cell, talk to him.
magic9mushroom said:
Um, aren't you the one making the mod?
Yes, but, shmitz made it originally, so I have no idea about some of the things he put in. Like the one panel in the save room in grasstown.
magic9mushroom said:
Well, I met him in the Dead End. What about him, though?
After you get the fuel cell, he'll be there.
magic9mushroom said:
It might be an idea for some of the dialogue to change after the Labyrinth or Genesis. It's a bit weird when the dialogue in Grasstown is identical to before despite having gone through both.
For whom?
magic9mushroom said:
Good luck.
Thanks!

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:33 PM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
Well, yes, it leads to the Outer Wall. You should be able to go there now. Look closer.

Um, ooookay. Isn't the door to Egg 00 blocked off, though?

Well, just follow booster-get the fuel cell, talk to him.

So the fuel cell's the only component?

I mean, I was thinking about going back to the Sand Zone, but I saw someone saying that you can end up stuck if you do that.

After you get the fuel cell, he'll be there.

Who will be where?

For whom?

Well, the glaring one is the nurse still talking about having everything ready for casualties long after it's known that there aren't any casualties.

Anything referring to the recent quake should probably change after you've been through the Labyrinth, since the quake is no longer recent.

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM
Professional Whatever

magic9mushroom said:
Um, ooookay. Isn't the door to Egg 00 blocked off, though?
Yes. Just go through the window.

magic9mushroom said:
So the fuel cell's the only component?

I mean, I was thinking about going back to the Sand Zone, but I saw someone saying that you can end up stuck if you do that.
Probably nothing but a myth. Just go to the teleporter room and talk to booster.

magic9mushroom said:
Who will be where?
The hermit gunsmith will be in the place where you got the polar star. It's in first cave.

magic9mushroom said:
Well, the glaring one is the nurse still talking about having everything ready for casualties long after it's known that there aren't any casualties.
Who? You mean the person who sleeps with you in Grasstown?

magic9mushroom said:
Anything referring to the recent quake should probably change after you've been through the Labyrinth, since the quake is no longer recent.
True, true.

EDIT:
Waterway glitch-FIXED!
Egg corridor-FIXED!
Address chip glitch-uh, um, still haven't gotten to that yet.

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:18 PM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
Yes. Just go through the window.

*facepalm*

^That was at me, not you.

Probably nothing but a myth. Just go to the teleporter room and talk to booster.

Okay.

The hermit gunsmith will be in the place where you got the polar star. It's in first cave.

Oh.

Who? You mean the person who sleeps with you in Grasstown?

No, not Chaco. Nurse Hasumi. In Grasstown Tower IIRC.

True, true.

EDIT:
Waterway glitch-FIXED!
Egg corridor-FIXED!
Address chip glitch-uh, um, still haven't gotten to that yet.

I assume the link's the one now in your sig?

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:25 PM
Professional Whatever

Yeah, I meant hasumi. She sleeps with you too.
And no, you'll have to wait until, let's say...sunday for the next release. That'll give me enough time.

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:37 AM
"..."

Continuing with the bug reports...

- The Booster 2.0 doesn't work. It doesn't give you boost, even when equipped.

- The Hermit Gunsmith's sprite is replaced by a quarter of a Polish, and you can't talk to him/it.

How do you sleep with Hasumi?

EDIT: I've figured out how to sleep with Hasumi.

Is it intentional that the +10 Snake ammo chest in Mimiga Village empties even if you didn't open it?

Also, I'm going to regret this, but I have to add my vote to the "un-buff the Bubbler" crowd. 20 damage per lightning bolt is ridiculously overpowered, and makes every other weapon (well, I haven't gotten the Spur, and I haven't fully levelled the Sky Blade yet, but it certainly applies to the Fireball, Nemesis, and Missile Launcher) useless.

Oh, also, if you go to Genesis: Sky a second time, and go through to Genesis: Earth, Balrog isn't there, and continuing on to the Sand Zone drops you inside a block where you can't do anything.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:29 PM
Professional Whatever

-What do you mean the booster doesn't work? I use it all the time.
-That was a pretty stupid mistake, and an easy fix.
-do you mean after you lose the snake, or the first time you see it?(The chest)
-The bubbler is not powered up! It's exactly the same as the one from the original cave story!
-And that is fixed. And you're not supposed to find balrog until you go through genesis: spirit.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
-What do you mean the booster doesn't work? I use it all the time.

Huh. That's weird.

Upon getting it (the 2.0) and equipping it I found that it did not work.

I shall try again!

Might it have had something to do with the fact that I missed the Fireball on that first playthrough?

-do you mean after you lose the snake, or the first time you see it?(The chest)

After losing the snake. I'm currently testing what happens if you never had the Snake.

Which reminds me...

Weapon ammo chests - is each one set to a particular weapon, or do they change depending on what weapons you have?

-The bubbler is not powered up! It's exactly the same as the one from the original cave story!

Jenka's Nightmare unRevived (3.0) has a Bubbler identical to Cave Story's, which does 3 damage per lightning bolt (I'm 100% sure of this in both cases).

The version I downloaded from you (0.4.5.1) has a Bubbler that does 20 damage per lightning bolt (4 collisions each doing 5 damage, from what I can tell). I tested it on a Crow, which it killed in one shot (not one volley, one bolt).

-And that is fixed. And you're not supposed to find balrog until you go through genesis: spirit.

Yeah, I figured that about Balrog, but I thought it was best to specify exactly what happened.

NB: I may sound a bit blunt, but that's just the normal way I talk. I certainly appreciate the mod. :p

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM
Professional Whatever
Huh. I must've randomly put the bubbler to pierce blocks or something.

And it might have something to do with not getting the fireball. I have no idea.

Hah! That snake chest was a clever idea of shmitz's! If you don't have the snake, it doesn't let you get it(except for the chest in "a familiar cave?").

Weapon ammo chests are the same as weapon pickup chests(they share the command <AM+), but if you already have the weapon, it adds ammo instead.

And thanks for the support!

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:32 PM
"..."
LunarSoul said:
Huh. I must've randomly put the bubbler to pierce blocks or something.

:p

Meh, I just know it deals 20 damage, and 20 isn't 3. :p

And it might have something to do with not getting the fireball. I have no idea.

Hmm.

I'm currently playing through again, this time hoping to get the Sky Blade and level it up to see what it does. :mrgreen:

Hah! That snake chest was a clever idea of shmitz's! If you don't have the snake, it doesn't let you get it(except for the chest in "a familiar cave?").

Huh? The chest in Mimiga Town opens if you don't have the Snake. Having only 10 ammo is pretty crappy, though.

Weapon ammo chests are the same as weapon pickup chests(they share the command <AM+), but if you already have the weapon, it adds ammo instead.

Thought so.

And thanks for the support!

Heh, it's fun.

Especially the self-imposed challenges, like not picking up the Snake (I'm trying to get it after the drop).

Makes Sue crazy-hard (still doable, though - I managed to beat her).

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:27 PM
Professional Whatever

Hmm? For the sky blade, did you say no? If you did, just exit the game and go back. It doesn't matter if you save after saying no.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:35 PM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
Hmm? For the sky blade, did you say no? If you did, just exit the game and go back. It doesn't matter if you save after saying no.

No, I know how to get the Sky Blade.

It's just that the only times I've been to Oblivion: Moon, I didn't have the Booster, so I couldn't get out (I got there via the Mimiga Tower glitch warp).

I've had to restart a couple of times, you see.

Is there a Blade, as well, or just the Sky Blade?

Oh, incidentally. LOVING Gamimi.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM
Professional Whatever

Well, no. It kinda is the blade. If I knew how to make a new weapon, I would make the sky blade freaking awesome looking,

Status
Not open for further replies.