Jenka's Nightmare Revived - Final release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 26, 2011 at 1:01 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: Jenka's Nightmare Revived

Heh. I know what it is!
Actually, I forgot about the genesis: earth one, so there's actually 62.
But there's a five-piece you missed! I'll give you a hint: it's in outer wall. :awesomeface:

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:03 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."

LunarSoul said:
Heh. I know what it is!
Actually, I forgot about the genesis: earth one, so there's actually 62.
But there's a five-piece you missed! I'll give you a hint: it's in outer wall. :awesomeface:

Oh, god.

TWO?!

EDIT: No, it gives 10 points, you liar.

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:10 PM
Professional Whatever

What?
What do you mean two?

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:14 PM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
What?
What do you mean two?

Two leaps of faith.

The second one being particularly evil, because there's a thing telling you "well done" after the first.

Congratulations, you have beaten me.

And it gives 10 points, so you must have missed a 5-pointer somewhere, as I now have 67 health.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:29 PM
Professional Whatever

Huh. Well, the maximum is 67, then.
I could've sworn I changed it to 5, though.

EDIT: alright, I've been looking around in the files.
Anyone know how to change the version marker thing on the title screen? I'm guessing you need a hex editor.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:52 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Alright, a few comments:

A skipflag with the Monster X fight would be much appreciated.

The super bubbler, while very fun and a nice touch, is a bit overpowered, especially against bosses. I literally took out Alpha in about 2 seconds. Perhaps decrease their piercing power to something reasonable, so they don't just pierce through everything. Maybe also decrease the recharge rate of the lvl3 by a lot so you have to use it much more sparingly.

The lvl 2/3 fireball graphics don't look very fireballish anymore.

There's a weird graphical glitch in Genesis:Light, where the spike graphics cover up npcs and it looks really weird. Off the top of my head, a possible not-very-elegant solution would be to put black square npcs behind the spikes and make the spikes not completely opaque.

I'm not sure if you changed this or not, but in a previous version, the savepoint in the waterway didn't save which terminals you had activated. In other words, if you activate 1 or more terminals, and then save, and then die, when you respawn, the terminals will all be deactivated. My apologies if you've already changed this and I'm just giving you redundant feedback.

The door in the middle of the egg corridor <TRAs to the wrong place (namely, two tiles below where it's supposed to).

The ghosts in the outer wall are now deconstructors, which looks weird. I would suggest making a separate sprite sheet for the deconstructor, and using that one in the Sand Zone, while using the default NpcOside.pbm in the Outer Wall.

In oblivion:erosion, the upward wind tile above the pipe at the bottom is a water tile.

In an earlier version (again, I'm not sure if you've changed this since then) it was possible to get to Oblivion:erosion from Genesis:sky the first time you go there (i.e. before you do all the Sand Zone/Labyrinth stuff). Not sure if this was intentional or not, but it seems counterintuitive.

It's possible to get stuck in Genesis:sky if you go there from Oblivion:erosion when you already have the explosive. I might suggest that, if you go to gen:sky when you already have the explosive, make the door to erosion appear automatically.

Might wanna make some clearer indicator of when the end of the current demo is (I'm assuming it's the top of the red tower).

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:58 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"

LunarSoul said:
EDIT: alright, I've been looking around in the files.
Anyone know how to change the version marker thing on the title screen? I'm guessing you need a hex editor.

Just use Resource Hacker.

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:20 AM
Professional Whatever

Wedge of Cheese said:
A skipflag with the Monster X fight would be much appreciated.
Okay.
Wedge of Cheese said:
The super bubbler, while very fun and a nice touch, is a bit overpowered, especially against bosses. I literally took out Alpha in about 2 seconds. Perhaps decrease their piercing power to something reasonable, so they don't just pierce through everything. Maybe also decrease the recharge rate of the lvl3 by a lot so you have to use it much more sparingly.
Fixed. Kinda.
Wedge of Cheese said:
The lvl 2/3 fireball graphics don't look very fireballish anymore.
I know.
Wedge of Cheese said:
I'm not sure if you changed this or not, but in a previous version, the savepoint in the waterway didn't save which terminals you had activated. In other words, if you activate 1 or more terminals, and then save, and then die, when you respawn, the terminals will all be deactivated. My apologies if you've already changed this and I'm just giving you redundant feedback.
Hmm, good idea.
Wedge of Cheese said:
In oblivion:erosion, the upward wind tile above the pipe at the bottom is a water tile.
...Huh. Okay.
Wedge of Cheese said:
In an earlier version (again, I'm not sure if you've changed this since then) it was possible to get to Oblivion:erosion from Genesis:sky the first time you go there (i.e. before you do all the Sand Zone/Labyrinth stuff). Not sure if this was intentional or not, but it seems counterintuitive.
Yeah, it's fixed.
Wedge of Cheese said:
It's possible to get stuck in Genesis:sky if you go there from Oblivion:erosion when you already have the explosive. I might suggest that, if you go to gen:sky when you already have the explosive, make the door to erosion appear automatically.
Fixed.
Wedge of Cheese said:
Might wanna make some clearer indicator of when the end of the current demo is (I'm assuming it's the top of the red tower).
It is, and I should.

EDIT: new demo soon! Look forward to it!
Hint: you can actually get the
hermit gunsmith stuff!
Also, thanks ollie.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:55 PM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
Umm...
you do know you can go through the teleporter in town hall to get there, right?
Also, we should probably continue this conversation in the jenka's nightmare revived thread.

Except that as I said in my most recent bug report post, using that teleporter doesn't work - you're in Oblivion: Erosion, but you can't do anything, as in the now-fixed Waterway-Reservoir glitch.

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:12 PM
Professional Whatever

So, do you guys want me to make it so that you can trade the bubbler for all of your weapons ( except, of course, for the mighty spur) near endgame? It'd be an interesting choice, I believe.
Oh, and by trade, I mean you lose all your current weapons and you get the bubbler. You don't actually need every weapon.

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:28 AM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
So, do you guys want me to make it so that you can trade the bubbler for all of your weapons ( except, of course, for the mighty spur) near endgame? It'd be an interesting choice, I believe.
Oh, and by trade, I mean you lose all your current weapons and you get the bubbler. You don't actually need every weapon.

I presume you mean the uberBubbler here, not the normal Bubbler?

Hmm, well, it's certainly powerful enough to make that a valid trade.

I'm kinda wondering how the Spur can be more powerful, but I'll wait until I actually get it.

Jan 28, 2011 at 2:54 PM
Professional Whatever

Yep, I do mean the uberBubbler. Although I probably should up the damage of the lv3 bubbles themselves for consistency with the 20 dmg bolts.
In the next update, you will absolutely be able to get the spur, so there's something to really look forward to.
Don't forget to bring him the explosive and controller! :D

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:08 PM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
Yep, I do mean the uberBubbler. Although I probably should up the damage of the lv3 bubbles themselves for consistency with the 20 dmg bolts.

Quite possibly. 5-10's probably enough, though.

In the next update, you will absolutely be able to get the spur, so there's something to really look forward to.
Don't forget to bring him the explosive and controller! :D

Yay!

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:13 PM
Professional Whatever

Yep. Hopefully the next update will be the best jump(in progress) so far.

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM
Professional Whatever

AHA! Version 0.6 is out! Check the link in my sig(as always) for the download!
The end of the demo is at the top of the Red Tower. Once you get to the second floor, make sure to keep going up as if there was a third level.
Also, take a look around for my secret room! You'll know when you find it!

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:04 AM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
AHA! Version 0.6 is out! Check the link in my sig(as always) for the download!
The end of the demo is at the top of the Red Tower. Once you get to the second floor, make sure to keep going up as if there was a third level.

In other words, do the same thing you did at the top of the first level. :heart:

Also, take a look around for my secret room! You'll know when you find it!

Or will I?

Have you done anything with Spirit Lodging to make it semi-useful to go to?

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM
Professional Whatever

magic9mushroom said:
Have you done anything with Spirit Lodging to make it semi-useful to go to?
Uh-no. I've been too busy fixing glitches like this stupid error that renders doukutsu.exe useless if there's more that 101 maps. It happened to me twice.
Therefore, if any doors lead to maps they're not supposed to, that's why. Also, it'd be nice to report them to me. Thank you :heart:

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:30 PM
"..."

Pipeworks not fixed.

Door from Genesis:Sky to Genesis: Earth doesn't display properly if reloading.

Wow, the Missile Launcher's certainly a lot more useful now.

How exactly is the Bubbler fixed? It's even more powerful!

The Gaudi in the Labyrinth Shop doesn't tell you about the Great White Critter anymore, or at least I can't get him to.

"Give me one second to make make the changes" not fixed.

Loving the name "uberBubbler" and the lipstick-running easter egg.

Falling down below the Explosive causes you to die, dunno if this was intentional.

Large section of Egg Corridor still pointless.

Door to Egg Storage Room still doesn't connect properly.

Egg Corridor-Outer Wall still distressingly free of save points.

Nice trick to getting the ID Card. I approve! Mwahahaha.

Found Genesis: Ancient. There probably shouldn't be a savepoint in there, because getting out without the Machinegun is incredibly fiddly. Shouldn't it really be Oblivion: Ancient, though?

I see you've taken steps to avoid a repetition of my mistake at the top of Oblivion: Erosion.

Chest under the entrance to Mimiga Village still looks full when it's empty.

Balrog doesn't offer to trade uberBubbler for Machinegun. Might have something to do with the fact that I already got it from Gero. Should be changed to a flag rather than an item check. You can be locked out of some areas this way, because the lipstick-running stops working after you pick up the missiles in Grasstown (I think?)

The chest at the bottom of Labyrinth I is empty. Was this intentional?

Misery says "What? You found Genesis Source?" even if you've already talked to her about it. She could do with a dialogue change after the flag's set.

I assume the fight with
Possessed Curly
is the end so far?

I'll try again later, and try to get more than 2 ammo for the Machinegun this time, so that I can get the Spur.

EDIT:

So I found the Autocharger and Turbocharge (does the Turbocharge work as it does in the original?), and know that the Explosive is at the end of Grasstown (but I can't get it and avoid dying, due to not properly having the Machinegun). I assume the Pulse Core and Controller are still in Chimney. No clue where the Focusing Lens is, though. If it's meant to be in Labyrinth I, tell me.

Also, you haven't updated your homepage.

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:16 PM
Professional Whatever

magic9mushroom said:
How exactly is the Bubbler fixed? It's even more powerful!
Hmm? I thought I took it out.
magic9mushroom said:
Falling down below the Explosive causes you to die, dunno if this was intentional.
Oh, it was.
magic9mushroom said:
Large section of Egg Corridor still pointless.
What do ya mean?
magic9mushroom said:
Found Genesis: Ancient. There probably shouldn't be a savepoint in there, because getting out without the Machinegun is incredibly fiddly. Shouldn't it really be Oblivion: Ancient, though?
Oh. It was actually supposed to be Oblivion: Ancient. I must've messed up or something.
magic9mushroom said:
Balrog doesn't offer to trade uberBubbler for Machinegun. Might have something to do with the fact that I already got it from Gero. Should be changed to a flag rather than an item check. You can be locked out of some areas this way, because the lipstick-running stops working after you pick up the missiles in Grasstown (I think?)
Oh, I didn't know that. Must be a flag error. Imma change it so gero only gives ammo after getting the machine gun.
And you're supposed to trade the Fireball for the machine gun now. I took out the uberBubbler, you're supposed to get it way later.
magic9mushroom said:
The chest at the bottom of Labyrinth I is empty. Was this intentional?
Woops. That's supposed to be the
focusing lens.
magic9mushroom said:
I assume the fight with
Possessed Curly
is the end so far?
Indeed. Sorry I didn't explain that better. Also, do you have any idea how to destroy those rotating balls when you defeat her?
magic9mushroom said:
So I found the Autocharger and Turbocharge (does the Turbocharge work as it does in the original?), and know that the Explosive is at the end of Grasstown (but I can't get it and avoid dying, due to not properly having the Machinegun). I assume the Pulse Core and Controller are still in Chimney. No clue where the Focusing Lens is, though. If it's meant to be in Labyrinth I, tell me.
Alright, lemme clear this up. The four pieces are the
Pulse Core, Autocharger, Turbocharge, and Focusing Lens. It is supposed to be in Labyrinth I.
magic9mushroom said:
Also, you haven't updated your homepage.
You actually read that? I'll try and update it.

Also, I'll update the new demo with all the "important" glitches (like the empty Labyrinth chest, and the early uberBubbler. By the way, take a look at the uberBubbler's info on the menu screen. :awesomeface:

EDIT: You can get out of "Genesis:" Ancient by stepping outside and boostering up.

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:20 PM
Professional Whatever

Version 0.6.2 is finished! I'll upload it in a sec.
Most glitches are fixed, but ones that aren't fatal haven't been fixed yet.
And I promise you can get the spur now.

EDIT: 0.6.2 posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.