Hell 2 Player

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:07 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Do you guys realize how much coding you guys will need to do in order to make this? It would be difficult for Noxid to do this, let alone y'all.
You'd be rewriting so much of the code, I don't even see how you'd even begin to do this.

Okay, just checking.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:26 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
cultr1 said:
Do you guys realize how much coding you guys will need to do in order to make this? It would be difficult for Noxid to do this, let alone y'all.
You'd be rewriting so much of the code, I don't even see how you'd even begin to do this.

Okay, just checking.

Shhhhh, let them dream.

It's better if you don't crush their aspirations with realism. They might even get it done if you don't.

Aug 3, 2011 at 9:54 AM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Firehead said:
Thanks.
Also we need to finish that Hp add.
I think something like this:
Touch the chest/life capsule and press down -1HP, press up +1 HP.

Yep that sounds good.

@Cultr1 & GIR... Thanks for the support xD I have no idea how the hell (no pun intended) we are going to do this. I can only help with some of the modding... Firehead says he can do it. So I believe him. Anyway if we don't do it at least he have a cool version of hell to showcase. You can at least customize your weapons and health and inventory. :D

Edit: Updated the readme. Everyone please be specific in what you do each time. :D Download here

Edit 2: First page link updated

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:54 PM
"Huzzah!"
Kick Ass said:
Yep that sounds good.

@Cultr1 & GIR... Thanks for the support xD I have no idea how the hell (no pun intended) we are going to do this. I can only help with some of the modding... Firehead says he can do it. So I believe him. Anyway if we don't do it at least he have a cool version of hell to showcase. You can at least customize your weapons and health and inventory. :D

Edit: Updated the readme. Everyone please be specific in what you do each time. :D Download here

Edit 2: First page link updated

you have undoable expectations from this "mod".
it will probably eventually require creating a new EXE from scratch, since there will be no more work room with ASM. combo attacks?
thats just too high youre shooting at... you should really just
start low and graduate from there. like - make a two player hell with no changes to the original and just one mode and add things from there. it will be hard enough as it is.

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:45 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
cultr1 said:
Okay, just checking.
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Shhhhh, let them dream.
It's better if you don't crush their aspirations with realism. They might even get it done if you don't.
Voyce said:
it will probably eventually require creating a new EXE from scratch, since there will be no more work room with ASM. combo attacks?
start low and graduate from there. like - make a two player hell with no changes to the original and just one mode and add things from there. it will be hard enough as it is.
Gaaaahh... All Quoted for Truth. Sorry Kick Ass and Firehead, but you're both in waaaay over your heads...

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:17 PM
LSD
"..."
Tpcool said:
Gaaaahh... All Quoted for Truth. Sorry Kick Ass and Firehead, but you're both in waaaay over your heads...
Waddabout me?

Yeah, we've got too many ideas, just the main thought is a lot to do.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:40 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Pigaro said:
Waddabout me?

Yeah, we've got too many ideas, just the main thought is a lot to do.

I just thought Kick Ass was the leader and such, while Firehead was doing most of the work. I didn't really pay attention to how many people were in the project.

And I think I said this in my first post, but it's not that I don't like the idea, I just don't think it will happen... ever.

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:44 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I have another idea.
After finishing the game for 1st time you unlock Ballos Story(you can hear all the boring story any time you want), the nikumaru counter and more stuff.
Now I'm editing game again. This time you can clear you weapons and inventory.

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:24 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Firehead said:
I have another idea.
After finishing the game for 1st time you unlock Ballos Story(you can hear all the boring story any time you want), the nikumaru counter and more stuff.
Now I'm editing game again. This time you can clear you weapons and inventory.

My favourite part is how you're completely ignoring the two-player aspect, the one thing that would differentiate this from any other generic hell edit.

It's like saying you're going to build a 24-ft gold plated statue of Kanpachi, and then going fishing for two weeks for "character research".

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:24 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
I thought we were going to just do hell with 2 players but it looked like Firehead wanted to do more. At least we have lot's of customization.

This is the team and our roles.
Kick Ass (Leader and small amounts of modding)
Firehead (Our main modder)
Pigaro (Idea person, modder?)
Lunar Soul (Our other modder)

Everyone however has contributed with the project and it has not just been one person doing everything. Lots of people have given different ideas.

Now what I think we should do from here is to get Firehead to start on 2 player beta. I think we just go with what we already have in version v0.25 and start on testing 2 player. Well I guess we should first try doing whichever is easier: Co-op or 2 player. Firehead which one of these will be easier?? Start with the easier one.

I think you will find on the first post that I said "if" not we are going to do this. I never said we can definitely do this. As I have already said it was Firehead who said he would be able to do this. He talked about using gamemaker... Anyway I'm not really the one to talk to about how to do this because I know f*ck all about modding. Only some of the basics.

As I tried to say in my last post. If we fail in doing Hell 2 player we at least have the option of customization. You can choose your weapons, your health, your inventory etc... I don't want to make things harder but this is just and idea if Hell 2 player fails. Would you be able to choose which character you play as? Curly or Quote. You can even make character sheets for more characters but I don't want to make things too complicated. Would this even be possible?

So what we are going to do:
Instead of implementing more ideas we are now going to try and test Hell 2 player. How Firehead is going to try this? I have no idea. We need to try this and see IF it is even possible. I would have never thought of the ideas to implement if I didn't know about the secret hideout.

@Voyce. Read above.... Combo attacks? I was just giving ideas... I don't know heaps about modding and I think it would be sh*t difficult, is there anything wrong with trying to make something more interesting. Anyway I mentioned when I said it that it was probably too hard and not suit cave story. -.-

Edit: Please everyone stop having a go at each other. I thank you for your input and help... but this is our mod? It is up to our team to decide what to do next. So Firehead... ready to start 2 player :D

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM
Not anymore
Voyce said:

Even though this theoretical hack may be massive, it would not require you to overwrite the entire EXE. That would be ridiculous. It would be a lot of code, but you wouldn't need to erase everything else.

Just saying - combo attacks would be way easier than a 2-player hack.

Anyway, a real two player system is going to be very hard to accomplish. If this manages to get done, I will hail you people as the new kings of ASM hacking. Have fun designing this mod.

EDIT: I am a mathematician. I am a programmer. I am a modder. I'm trying to be practical - not sentimental. I'm not saying "stop this mod", because that's not what I want you guys to do. Get as far as you can. If you can actually pull it off, then all the better.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:22 PM
LSD
"..."
Carrotlord said:
Even though this theoretical hack may be massive, it would not require you to overwrite the entire EXE. That would be ridiculous. It would be a lot of code, but you wouldn't need to erase everything else.

Anyway, a real two player system is going to be very hard to accomplish. If this manages to get done, I will hail you people as the new kings of ASM hacking. Have fun designing this mod.

One person who isn't working on this who stands up for us (I guess you could say)
I think everyone else just says that we can't do it just because we don't have the skills to or we don't know how to. This may be true, but we can try things sometimes. A lot of the people posting on here right now have just been telling us we can't.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:37 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Good luck. And trust me, if you can do this you may have a chance at surpassing noxid (that will be very hard considering the kind of modder he is).

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:39 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
Carrotlord said:

EDIT: I am a mathematician. I am a programmer. I am a modder. I'm trying to be practical - not sentimental. I'm not saying "stop this mod", because that's not what I want you guys to do. Get as far as you can. If you can actually pull it off, then all the better.

Thank you. Someone who encourages us! And Omega as well :D. I think it would mainly be Firehead but anyway yes. And Lunar soul seemed to think Combo attacks may be possible so we can leave that section up to him. :D I only know a few bits of ASM thanks to the Assembly Guide but I hope someone else in my team is able to do that complex technical stuff.

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:33 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
Sorry for the double post. It will be 24 hours in a few minutes. I need to clarify something. Firehead how are you going to convert Hell into 2 players? Do you know how to do this? Are you going to use gamemaker as your primary source or are you going to use ASM hacking (ollydbg)? I just want to make sure you can do this. It seems you already are a very capable modder. I like what we have all done so far :D

Aug 6, 2011 at 1:27 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I'm nothing working on 2-player yet.
I think using gamemaker is better, but you don't need to delete our work on this mod after the 2-player mode. So the actual running hell is still available. We need to close this 1-player mod and make a FINAL version. Then we can work in 2-player.
I'm a noob in ASM.
EDIT: What happened? All the pbm files are now images?

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:09 PM
Been here way too long...
yr doin' it wrong!

In order to make a duplicate of cave story w/in gamemaker, you need to have detailed knowledge of the inner workings of cave story, otherwise, your attempted copy won't feel right etc etc. In order to understand the inner workings of cs well, you either need to be A) able to understand assembly or B) find someone who understands assembly who is interested in helping you out.

And really, I don't know how many willing hackers you're going to find.

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:52 PM
"Huzzah!"
Lace said:
yr doin' it wrong!

In order to make a duplicate of cave story w/in gamemaker, you need to have detailed knowledge of the inner workings of cave story, otherwise, your attempted copy won't feel right etc etc. In order to understand the inner workings of cs well, you either need to be A) able to understand assembly or B) find someone who understands assembly who is interested in helping you out.

so both for an exact CS replica and a huge mod, you need advanced ASM knowledge?
this bites.

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:54 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Lace said:
yr doin' it wrong!

Restarting from the blank in order to make cave story 2 player. Impossible to make what you said.

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:44 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
WHAT? I thought 2 player and 1 player where the same mod. I thought we were finishing of the cusimization then adding in the 2 player aspect. Well I have no idea anymore....So just clarifying: We are finishing of 1 player and then making 2 player? Why don't you let me Pigaro and Lunar finish of 1 player and you start 2 player.