Forum Mod Plot Discussion Topic

Feb 11, 2008 at 3:43 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
DoubleThink said:
FOR SOME STRANGE REASON THIS MAKES IT SOUND VERY MUCH LIKE YOU'RE THE ONE DOING ALL THE WORK. I AM SORRY IF I INTERPRETED THIS WRONGLY BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THE OBVIOUS INTERPRETATION TO ME.

Why is the "obvious" interpretation always the most negative one?

DoubleThink said:
I said this specifically so there could be an actual story to work with before we start putting people in it and designating them certain roles, since I assumed that is what was happening in the other thread and nobody has seen fit to correct me on that yet. I tried to make this a thread specifically for plot ideas. I'm aware that certain characters having certain parts is important to plot design, but I also mentioned that it would be fairier if the plot was impartial to all parties concerned, and again nobody has seen fit to correct me there. This project needs some actual structure if it's going to get anywhere and all I'm doing is trying to find one that everyone can agree with so we can actually starting putting people in it.
Thankyou.

Fact of the matter is, if we don't take who's who as well as design process into consideration, this'll never work out, particularly the who wants to be who part. Again, I myself am willing to do anything with the story as long as the majority rules, but still.

Seriously, while I addressed my dislike of your storyline with complete impartiality, you addressed my post as if it mattered whether it was me or not. Now, I might be wrong, but from my perspective, you were voicing a problem you had directly with me and my involvement with the Mod instead of anything that actually had to do with the story of the Mod, see what I mean?

ANYWAY, ON TO THE THINGS THAT ACTUALLY MATTER.

andwhyisit said:
Best Plot Ever (but still has some holes that need filling):

Modder: A device that alters reality, little does anyone know that this device has been used before.
Forum: Something that is soooo not going to be in this story other than a place where assassins are raised and trained.
Catgirl: A humaniod race that can halt the effects of the Modder, but also knows how to start it.
Roonil Wazlib: A man devoted to hunting down the catgirls.
Forum Assassins: The highly trained assassins of Forum, hired by Seven and use sniper rifles as their weapon of choice.
Kageryushin: Part of the group but seeming to have his own purpose he is later revealed as the leader of the Forum Assassins.
Marlene: A person who can change into anyone she wants in all areas apart from gender and is the sister to sp.
Liesandar the great: Is a master of healing (healing function)
Seven: The main antagonist of the game who seeks to use the power of the Modder, later revealed as Marlene.
Andwhy: A traveler who has this knack of appearing everywhere and anywhere, friend to XristosX and seeks to stop the threat of the Modder.
S.P. Gardebiter: Leader of the "good guys".
DB: A scientist who worked on a creature known as the sliver, learned the error of his ways after his creations became uncontrollable.
Sliver: Ask DB. ;)
S Series (Spam Bot): Robot soldiers controlled by Seven and made by DB, they seem to have talking habits that annoy both Seven and DB to no end.
Runelancer: The warrior that fought the last great battle for control over the Modder (Think Arthur).
Slife: Record Keeper (saving function).
Ryfel: The name of the current world as created by the Modder device.

The rest are most likely good guys.

This has the makings of a great story, what do you think of it?

To SP: Sorry about your sister's role, I am just trying to make a good story here so do not take offense.

To DB: And sorry about your role as well.

ZTaimat said:
The 'modder' seems like an oddly good idea. The rest of that was just random babling, I think >> <<

Soo... Metalogz, in his over-hyper-active noobishness stumbles across [some place; cave, etc.], leading him to find the 'Modder'. He eventually starts wreaking havok upon the floating island of 'Iratagonom Ustukuod', where us good citizens live, through the use of various stuff, like bad gfx; blinding, repeatitive backgrounds, and loose, lacking dialouge.

MEANWHILE

Up on the island, [Hero of story] is confronting [Sub-villan] within the Palace of 'Noitar-tsinimda', in an attempt to fend him off, and bring peace back to the island once more. Just as the fight ends, Metalogz appears and begins wreaking havok.

>> <<

(Read the Italics 'Drawkcab')

AWESOME! THESE ARE BOTH AMAZINGLY GREAT, ESPECIALLY SINCE THEY FIT SO PERFECTLY WITH MY VISION OF THE STORY!

Seriously, they fit together extremely well.

LOTSA QUOTES LOL
QuoteXD.png

EDIT:
Xaser said:
It uses specific characters though so it doesn't fit with the discussion at hand... though your ideas for Forum Assassins and S-Bots are quite nice.

Zarro's got the best ideas so far, though I fully support the player character remaining a "fake" member or something. Don't want to play favorites here...

So, I hate the idea of having the story take place on the actual *internet forums*... perhaps the characters live in a kingdom known as "Forum" and they must "register" as a legal citizen. i.e., make it somewhat real-ish instead of "this happens in cyberspace oh no".

The plotline probably shouldn't mirror that of Cave Story too much... Zarro's outline, with the "modder" present in some way or form, seems ideal so far, but ideas from others' storylines should be implemented for justice!

Here's a nifty idea for the use of the "alternate" character (Mask): Why not simply have one anonymous, quote-ish character (i.e. the silent type) but the player can select gender at the beginning. Thus, you'd either play as simply "Hero" or "Heroine" (NOT the drug). I can see this working somehow... simple but effective?

Okay, so I guess most everyone wants the PC to be a “fictional” member. Let’s work with that. I really, really like your idea for choosing the gender, but how exactly would we do that? Make it so that you start as a featureless figure that chooses which gender it wants from a box at the very start of the game? That’d work with the “registering” thing and all, I guess. Again, the storyline probably won’t be like Cave Story at all except in that you’ll begin in a “First Cave” like area, make your way to a “Mimiga Village” like second area, inevitably going to an area like the Egg Corridor, etc, etc, all the while performing actions similar to that of the original Cave Story but for entirely different reasons and with an entirely different plot. Furthermore, you'd encounter characters throughout the game in the same place you'd encounter characters in the original Cave Story, but, again, their motives and dialogue will be extremely different, though their actions would be somewhat similar.

Feb 11, 2008 at 4:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Xaser said:
So, I hate the idea of having the story take place on the actual *internet forums*...
I covered that multiple times, so yes I am also very much against it taking place in the forums.

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:03 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
and you didnt add me in your story ;)

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:22 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
xristosx said:
and you didnt add me in your story ;)

Kageryushin said:
Pozeal said:
I volunteer to be toroko's replacement =D

This is probably merely because I've know him longer, but I thought that Xristosx fit this position better for various reasons. See, Xristosx, as he has said himself, critically dislikes being falsely accused of things he doesn‘t think he did, so, say, the character you begin with and the character who plays King implicate him in something, eventually leading to him attacking said player character within that hut. Furthermore, if I were to be the Misery figure (my apologies for sounding selfish by including myself in this and outright mentioning who I want to "replace"), then it'd make sense that I'd insult him for his typing ability which I’d misinterpret as irritating noobish illiteracy instead of merely him being lazy, causing him to speak out in anger against me which leads me into kidnapping him. That'd make sense, right?

Is this okay with you, Xristosx? I don’t know about you, but Enraged Xristosx sounds like a pretty badass boss to me…

Obligatory filler text.

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:50 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Kageryushin said:
Obligatory filler text.

Oh lol thanks ;)
sometimes i miss posts ^^'

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:15 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I wonder how many times you can change the character you co-op with (if you can that is). I like the idea of gender choice with the mask, though. And SP should be the only one who guesses that you have a gender change tool with you, because - er... you get the point. How he guesses it, we leave to the player's imagination.

The only reason why I'm slightly against Andwhy's story is that it kinda misses the essence of the game. Remeber that Cave Story is mainly PLATFORM/SHOOT-EM-UP rather than adventure/RPG. While the story of CS is one of my favourite things about the game, we NEED to have the story-to-gameplay rating ratio similar to Pixel.

Kageryushin, I disagree with you about the similarity to CS, but SP said this is gonna be a small project so we might be seeing something different. However, the idea will seriously affect the flow if we're gonna haveto fit in the story according to the events in the game (CS).

I haven't given mutch thought to ZT's idea, mainly because it's incomplete, but I'm waiting for the rest.

My idea is:
Some fuxorin reason to venture into outer space which leads to discovery of OMFG the CS world that's attacked by spambots/catgals/forum-sins, which originated from OUR world, and we hold the key to save CS.

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:43 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
The only reason why I'm slightly against Andwhy's story is that it kinda misses the essence of the game. Remeber that Cave Story is mainly PLATFORM/SHOOT-EM-UP rather than adventure/RPG. While the story of CS is one of my favourite things about the game, we NEED to have the story-to-gameplay rating ratio similar to Pixel.
I can fix the story to work with the game, but I just wanna get it out. I'll be working on it until I have something that works.

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:58 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
ZTaimat said:
The 'modder' seems like an oddly good idea. The rest of that was just random babling, I think >> <<

Soo... Metalogz, in his over-hyper-active noobishness stumbles across [some place; cave, etc.], leading him to find the 'Modder'. He eventually starts wreaking havok upon the floating island of 'Iratagonom Ustukuod', where us good citizens live, through the use of various stuff, like bad gfx; blinding, repeatitive backgrounds, and loose, lacking dialouge.

MEANWHILE

Up on the island, [Hero of story] is confronting [Sub-villan] within the Palace of 'Noitar-tsinimda', in an attempt to fend him off, and bring peace back to the island once more. Just as the fight ends, Metalogz appears and begins wreaking havok.
>> <<

(Read the Italics 'Drawkcab')

LOLWUT?!?!?!?!?!!

D:<

Feb 11, 2008 at 9:29 AM
Justin-chan
Metalogz isn't that much of a noob. :/ And sides, Metalogz is my partner, how can he be evil? No... Wait...

METALOGZ! YOU WERE PLANNING TO BACKSTAB ME WEREN'T YOU?! AH NO YOU DON'T. HAHAHA, WELL, NOW THAT I KNOW YOUR PLAN, I CAN COUNTER IT!

"MAGIC CARD OPEN, MIRROR FORCE!"

...Or was it a Trap Card?

Feb 11, 2008 at 9:52 AM
Luls
jcys810 said:
Metalogz isn't that much of a noob. :/ And sides, Metalogz is my partner, how can he be evil? No... Wait...

METALOGZ! YOU WERE PLANNING TO BACKSTAB ME WEREN'T YOU?! AH NO YOU DON'T. HAHAHA, WELL, NOW THAT I KNOW YOUR PLAN, I CAN COUNTER IT!

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuu........

Feb 11, 2008 at 10:11 AM
Justin-chan
"Trap Card Open. Surprise Buttsecks!"

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:19 PM
Respwnt
jcys810 said:

Release - Shield card! We NEED Metalogz for the mod!

BTW, aren't we forgetting our potential antagonist?

*Points to ZT*

Figure out the rest.

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:24 PM
Justin-chan
I always thought you guys are like angst against Kageryushin so he would be the main antagonist. Well... If he is, I want my character to go all "LETS CHANGE THE EVIL GUY INTO A GOOD GUY WITH THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP LOLOHSNAPS I DIED WHILE TALKING HAHAHAHAHAHA NO LIFE POT"

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:26 PM
Respwnt
jcys810 said:
I always thought you guys are like angst against Kageryushin so he would be the main antagonist. Well... If he is, I want my character to go all "LETS CHANGE THE EVIL GUY INTO A GOOD GUY WITH THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP LOLOHSNAPS I DIED WHILE TALKING HAHAHAHAHAHA NO LIFE POT"
Kane sucks lol.

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:30 PM
Justin-chan
Pssshhh, he'd chokeslam your silly football star through the goalpost.

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:32 PM
Respwnt
jcys810 said:
Pssshhh, he'd chokeslam your silly football star through the goalpost.
Henry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>x2599231 Kane.

WWF is just fake. Morons change camera angles every time a punch is gonna be landed.

In case the rest of you are wondering, we're developing cat-girl related ideas.

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:41 PM
Justin-chan
I know its fake. lol. Your silly football player looks sillier than Kane without his mask.

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:01 PM
Respwnt
jcys810 said:
I know its fake. lol. Your silly football player looks sillier than Kane without his mask.
Who cares what he looks like. He can bang Kane up lol.

Besides, he was voted the second sexiest footballer last year, but that was before he divorced his wife.

I thinque we need to save this thread now.

Since we're trying to keep the CS factor intact, I think we should break the game in the same format as we're doing this mod.

So, in a WTF (TM) world of Cave Story (TM), we witness magic (TM) and advanced technology (TM) being contemporaries. A mysterious floating island (TM) is rumoured to be host, not only to strange creatures (TM), but some unknown force as well. Inhabitants of the island, mimgas (TM) and gaudi (TM) represent the only life signs of the once-lively island. A research party (TM) is sent to investigate, but greed (TM) for power (TM) creates an enemy for the world within the party itself, and unless this greed is crushed, the CS world is doomed...

I've exluded everything regarding the robots, mainly cause I'm lazie, but also because that requires me to explain a bit of the past, which doesn't really fall within the main outline (I consider it mainly as backstory).

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:27 PM
Luls
jcys810 said:

What....?

You watch too much lurvy-durvey anime...

:(

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:47 PM
Justin-chan
Only Shuffle! and Ichigo 100%... :/