Excitment and disappointment...

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:49 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
So I finally got the Good Ending, yay! But I was disappointed... I expected something more epic, to make me feel better about the fact that I've seen all there is to see in the game... So I'm glad I finally beat the game, but disappointed it's over, and in the ending... Did anyone else feel like this when they beat it? :D

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:19 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Maybe I think just the same way as Roonil(although it took less tries than him for me)

But probably this was because I didn't care much about storylines in games before. Especially when I don't really like having to understand English.
But at least it's better than the normal ending....

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:33 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
freezit4 said:
Maybe I think just the same way as Roonil(although it took less tries than him for me)

But probably this was because I didn't care much about storylines in games before. Especially when I don't really like having to understand English.
But at least it's better than the normal ending....
But I loved the story in Cave Story.

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:07 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Wow are you serious? The good end is what got me to love cavestory even more (and the extra guns ^^), Meh maybe it just differs from person to person but thats your opinion anyway...

And lol thinking back to it now, i cant believe it took me 30+ tries to beat hell >.> especially the fact now ive done hell in a 3hp run before....

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:52 PM
Hoxtilicious
andwhyisit said:

Me too actually. One of the best points in the whole game.

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:32 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
andwhyisit said:
I concur, Cave Story has one of the best plots (if not THE best) within a game that I have ever seen.

That said, I much prefer the second ending (the one where you jump off the edge of the island) than the third ending (defeating Ballos). My reasoning for this is that I felt that the third ending felt more like an afterthought, as opposed to the second ending.

I mean, think about it. The main antagonist (the Doctor) was slowly introduced to the story via cutscenes and various conversations throughout the game, whereas Ballos was only mentioned once halfway through the game (after you defeat the core), where it is merely said (through prose) that Ballos is Jenka's brother. Beyond that he serves no real purpose to the storyline other than serving as one final boss to defeat. All in all, I felt Ballos was nothing more than a contrived plot device, used only to add a third ending to the game.

Also, I felt nothing for the main protagonists (Quote, Curly Brace). To me these characters felt generic (I mean, how many amnesiac heroes can you think of?), and the idea running off into the sunset with Curly didn't appeal to me.

So in response to the first post, Yes. I did find the third ending a disappointment, especially considering the amount of effort it takes to get it. That said, I did enjoy discovering and playing through these secret levels, and it was quite satisfying to eventually complete them.

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:48 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Took me less than 10 tries if I remember correctly.

I liked the part where its all "So hot, so pain", I was really excited. I thought rule 34 was gonna take place like, everyone strips to feel cooler and have a mass orgy or something. The pain could refer to the penetrated butthole :D

I was lucky on my try, but after that, I never made it to Heavy Press ever again.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:51 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Hell was so easy to me. Maybe having a piece of shit instead of computer helps after all. And I liked the ending. I was glad that Balrog isn't that bad after all.

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:07 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Absolute Zer0 said:
So I finally got the Good Ending, yay! But I was disappointed... I expected something more epic, to make me feel better about the fact that I've seen all there is to see in the game... So I'm glad I finally beat the game, but disappointed it's over, and in the ending... Did anyone else feel like this when they beat it? :rolleyes:

HELL was hard. It took me probably around 20 + tries lol But it was due to ridiculous stuff like standing under the HEAVY PRESS when it decided to come down or getting hit by falling blocks lol
Ballos on the other hand took only a few tries, and the hell run is what took so long. (I might mention I was unspoiled in how to play hell, no speed run watches or ballos slaughter videos !) So when I beat Ballos I got a GREAT THRILL, a sense of accomplishment.

And I found that sense of accomplishment from beating Ballos and hell much more satisfying than the actual ending where we finally save the island, just to fly "wherever you want" ignoring the island you just risked everything to save lol (not to mention what happened to the humans and mimigas)

Plus... as I've stated before even as much as I love Curly, I originally found her to be pretty shallow, there just wasn't a lot to find attachment to I thought. I mean you hardly even get a chance to know her. And I felt more for Sue and Toroko than Curly originally.

As for the whole Ballos thing, it doesn't really make much sense how all that extra stuff is thrown at you, about Ballos, the narrator, how Curly magically appears in hell to assist, etc... As you say it's like it was just tacked on.

I expected more I guess. Thinking maybe we'd get some closure with the characters we've met along the way. King, Toroko's deaths. The surviving Mimigas saved from being frenzied creatures. The humans seeing the island not fall, reflecting on what just happened...
I didn't expect to just watch Quote, Curly and Balrog to just run away..

But in the end, I love the Cave Story world, and I think there's just tons of potential for more. In my opinion Cave Story is just a fraction of a larger more complete game/story. (think Odin Sphere) And even though some things don't quite make sense yet or seem shallow, I believe it's because we're missing valuable parts of the story that are yet to be explained... (and this is why I've been secretly and slowly working on my mod... yep still lol) Just by adding or changing a few facts can make all the difference in understanding and appreciating the way things turned out..

And on that note... is there a list somewhere, of mods that continue or branch off of Cave Story's story???

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:06 PM
Indie game enthusiast
I haven't played Jenka's Nightmare since the demo a waysss back... I should try it again.!

To top it off, I've lost it in the clutter that is my hard drive :o Maybe one day I'll sift through all my files and look for it.
Ohhh if you find that I gotta check it out :D I'd love to try it or see it youtubed~

Some 18+ bonuses? *wonders* :rolleyes: Well maybe... lol

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:06 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Well, Jenka's Nightmare, as we all know, continues off of the redemption ending, and I think some guy started a mod that branched off the bad ending... I forget who it was...

That was me, but I haven't released it publicly yet. :rolleyes:

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:34 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Absolute Zer0 said:
That was me, but I haven't released it publicly yet. :rolleyes:
Interesting... Looks like fun :D

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:12 PM
In front of a computer
X-Calibar said:
As for the whole Ballos thing, it doesn't really make much sense how all that extra stuff is thrown at you, about Ballos, the narrator, how Curly magically appears in hell to assist, etc... As you say it's like it was just tacked on.
Well, I'm not sure how Curly got there, but the narration I think can be seen as Quote's memories slowly returning.

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:17 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Sorry JacobX in advance ;P lol

Celtic Minstrel said:
Well, I'm not sure how Curly got there, but the narration I think can be seen as Quote's memories slowly returning.
Yeah I was thinking something along those lines too... :p And of course that poses some interesting questions, like where did Quote learn all of that... and why is it posed as questions :
"Did you know that the witch-woman Jenka once had a brother?"
Interesting indeed. Also did you notice that the paragraph that includes "Did you know that the witch-woman..." etc is repeated twice? The first time is when Quote is almost dead and Curly saves you. And the second time is when you first enter hell. But this time it continues on with even more after re-stating the first paragraph.

When Quote is dying and Booster lives you hear the information begins to display "Did you know..." But it stops soon as Curly gives you her air tank, and she slips into inoperational.
When Quote enters Hell, Curly is already down there unconscious, and you begin to hear the information once again... This time it continues, and it doesn't stop even after Curly awakens.

... hmmm thinking about this some more, realize that the near-destruction of the core also coincides with beginning to hear the message "Did you know..." However it stops soon as Curly is damaged...

Finally remember that at the end of the credits, Booster who we've never seen with Jenka. Just happens to go visit her leaving the rest of the humans to flee the island...

... hmmm Oh and don't forget the fact Booster was suprised to see Quote the first time.
And the fact that if Booster has met Jenka before which seems likely, since I doubt Booster would just wander the sand zone for fun. Means he probably visited Jenka sometime... and Curly Brace has lived very close to the entrance of the Sand Zone teleporter. So... aren't the chances high that Booster has met Curly Brace before?
The only question remains is has he visited the Sand Zone in the Doctor's time frame or the 10 years ago war time frame?

Okay what does all this support uh...
A couple of theories :
1) Curly and Quote could have some kind of link.
2) When the island's Core is destroyed a program is triggered.
3) Curly was programmed to be the one to fight off Ballos.

Okay why does Curly just stand there after gazing into space when the Core is nearly defeated the first time. When Quote slips unconscious is it possible that Curly did more than just give Quote her air tank? Perhaps she did something, or transfered something? Maybe, maybe not...
Okay what about when Quote is running off the island with Sue, "Run Quote! Run!" Does it make ANY sense that suddenly Quote feels compelled to go through that house into Hell??? And what would you know Curly did the same thing??? [even though she is wounded, and going to fight wounded is suicide???]
Of course I'm reaching here, but maybe these stretches for information will be of interest to Absolute Zer0, as you see it feels like more is going on than meets the eye.

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:52 AM
Indie game enthusiast
I'm tellig you !!!!# Robots are in DISGUISE!!!

Jul 13, 2008 at 2:06 AM
In front of a computer
In light of all that, another option is that Curly is radioing the info to Quote...

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:13 AM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
X-Calibar, your last investigation is amazing. :p