Community Project: Cave Story 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 3, 2008 at 1:23 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Haithm said:
I agree. Maybe you should change the title name SP.Why not make a totally different name?
Cave Legend sounds silly in my opinion. Cavern Story has "Cavern" instead of "Cave" which doesn't has a really different name.
The secret of floating islands?
Mimigas fate.
The Hidden Truth of floating islands?
Mimigas Crisis?
Survivors of Mimigas
Remains of Mimigas
Red flowers time... :D

The Aftermath...?
A Twist in Tale? (roflmao this is lame)
Friend or Foe (Eh... because Mimigas were supposed to be friendly and now, 5 years later [i think lol], they're not?)

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:26 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Pixel would never accept Cavern Story. I know I wouldn't if I were Pixel. It sounds too similar to CS, people would get confused about which is which. I dunno if this could be better than the original, but we can't ignore the chances of this failing epicly either. So a third person might think Cavern Story = original made by Pixel = laem.

Also, the Core is pretty large so how about some of the gameplay/cutscenes taking place within one of the Cores? 0_o
I think it'd be really cool if there's an insight on how the Core works.

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:31 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
It might be easier to come up with a title if we had a more definite story outline? That's probably more important than the title, for one thing...

Also, I need something to draw...

EDIT:
diph.php

Tweaked it a bit more. Sorry if it's inconvenient that I keep changing things. ^^;; Her hair and collar were bothering me.

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:02 PM
Respwnt
Gawd I never saw that before.

It's uber-Kawai!

Sue ftw.

@ All

We need to come up with a personality for Quote. Especially since he's not the only playable character this time. Suggestions plix.

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:08 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I personally think "Cavern Legend" would be fine.

Gankutsu Densetsu.

Something to draw?
Well...
Chie but a bit older?
Then, more tilesets, enemies or weapons :D

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:15 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Those were just suggestions for a temporary name.

A personality for Quote?
Easily confused?

He hasn't fully recovered his memory, has he?

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:20 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Shadow of the Mimiga?

One thing that made CS so good is that at the beginning the protagonist knows absolutely nothing about what the fuck is going on. That's what we need here, too.

Idea: How about beginning the story with Sue? Only after some time playing (and maybe the first bossfight) as her you find an underground base (or something like that), and inside it, Quote and few friends.

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:31 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
I could try Chie. Dunno how to do enemies yet since we still dunno where the setting's gonna be... same thing for the tilesets, though I could expand the one I already started.

In the meantime...

diph.php

I demand that adult Kazuma be awesomely badass.

I replaced the bandage with scars...

Wanna know how I got these scars?

EDIT:
diph.php

Considering her personality during the events of Cave Story, I tried to imagine what she'd be like older, and tried to capture that.

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:03 PM
Luls
Lyger said:
I could try Chie. Dunno how to do enemies yet since we still dunno where the setting's gonna be... same thing for the tilesets, though I could expand the one I already started.

In the meantime...

diph.php

I demand that adult Kazuma be awesomely badass.

I replaced the bandage with scars...

Wanna know how I got these scars?

EDIT:
diph.php

Considering her personality during the events of Cave Story, I tried to imagine what she'd be like older, and tried to capture that.

Omg Kazuma looks... Like he's been into too many barfights O_o||| (epic, in other words)

And I think that Chie's face is abit too round... considering that all other Mimigas' faces are more square-ish than round. >_>

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:13 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
I can sorta see what you mean by the Mimiga faces... well I tried adjusting her a bit to try to fit that... I overwrote the old file so you can just refresh your page, but here it is again anyway.

diph.php

Look any better?

Sep 3, 2008 at 8:03 PM
Luls
Now that looks awesome! :D

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:58 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Thanks. ^^

I also updated the tileset a bit...

diph.php

Again, it's been overwritten... the new stuff is all four wire mesh tiles, the horizontal stone spiral column thing, the stalagmites/stalactites, and the funny tiles off to the right corner.

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:23 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Lyger said:
diph.php

Look any better?
No, sorry. That kinda kills the cute innocent look that Chie gave off (and makes her look chubby).

Use this as a reference:
chie.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:30 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Hmm... well, she's supposed to be older... but I'll try making another version. You're right about the chubby thing, that does bother me but I'm not sure how to fix it.

EDIT: okay, I prolly oughta get out of this habit of just overwriting the file... since now you can't compare...

diph.php

Actually this looks really off too. Prolly cuz it was done in ten minutes... Off to do more tweaking.

For the record I didn't really think "cute and innocent"-- er, I mean, well, I did, but not thinking that she'd grow up and still be that way... I mean the way she talked about the robots and not being afraid and stuff, made me think when she grew up she'd probably be all independent, confident, and bold and whatnot.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:11 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Lyger said:
Hmm... well, she's supposed to be older... but I'll try making another version. You're right about the chubby thing, that does bother me but I'm not sure how to fix it.

EDIT: okay, I prolly oughta get out of this habit of just overwriting the file... since now you can't compare...

diph.php

Actually this looks really off too. Prolly cuz it was done in ten minutes... Off to do more tweaking.

For the record I didn't really think "cute and innocent"-- er, I mean, well, I did, but not thinking that she'd grow up and still be that way... I mean the way she talked about the robots and not being afraid and stuff, made me think when she grew up she'd probably be all independent, confident, and bold and whatnot.
Well on of the major issues is the overall shape of the head, it seems that Chie has a square-ish, overly tall head in your version. I would recommend looking at all the other Mimiga faces as a reference while doing this stuff, it has helped me many times before.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:18 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
I know, that's what I was doing, I had a copy of face.pbm open...

Eh, I'll take another shot at it tomorrow.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Also while you are there, Mimiga don't have those sort of mouths.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:34 AM
He who lurks beneath the posts.
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
And I believe female mimiga's don't have any mark as a nose. other that its shadow...

Or am i blind xP

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:29 AM
Justin-chan
Kazuma..

Flawless victory.

Justin approves.

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:09 AM
Luls
OMG LYGER!!! WHYYY

Version 2 of Chie was epic!!! D:

@ Andwhy - It doesn't kill her innocent behaviour... In fact, it brings out her innocence. Lyger's 2nd Chie version made her look mischievious, probably because of her innocence due to ignorance and her curiosity DD:

andWhyy..... andWhy did you have to change it... andWhyyyyyyy ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.