Chaco: Discussion and inevitable off-topicness

Feb 4, 2008 at 11:59 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pozeal said:
Yes, we are quite good at creating lists ^_^.

Now what will we talk about in this chaco topic?
How about.. why is she purple?

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:22 AM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Make up, next topic?

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:28 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Why is Misery's skin white?

Rabbits come in many colors, why not some Mimigas? She might live where she does because it's hard for her to fit in; being a different color.
And maybe, when humans came, they introduced Mimigas to a few things... like lipstick or other products for instance.

Long as her lipstick isn't made from red flowers :D

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:38 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
X-Calibar said:
Why is Misery's skin white?

Rabbits come in many colors, why not some Mimigas? She might live where she does because it's hard for her to fit in; being a different color.
And maybe, when humans came, they introduced Mimigas to a few things... like lipstick or other products for instance.

Long as her lipstick isn't made from red flowers :eek:

Hehe, they introduced the mimigas to the pleasure of interspecies intercourse.

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:04 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Lunairetic said:
Hehe, they introduced the mimigas to the pleasure of interspecies intercourse.

YIFF IN HELL.

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:15 AM
Roonil Wazlib said:
Nope, they introduced rabbits to interspecies intercourse, which lead to the evolution of mimigas.

srsly

Seriously, if you want to pursue that depraved theory, Ballos did it all. And I mean all of it. He's the only thing in Cave Story insane, horrible, and obnoxious enough to do any of that disgusting shit.

Yeah. I’m definitely willing to go with the theory that "they just evolved that way."

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:19 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Kageryushin said:
Seriously, if you want to pursue that depraved theory, Ballos did it all. And I mean all of it. He's the only thing in Cave Story insane, horrible, and obnoxious enough to do any of that disgusting shit.

Yeah. I’m definitely willing to go with the theory that "they just evolved that way."
I didn't mean fully grown humans X teensy rabbitz lol. The rabbits musta mated with something bigger in size, leading to gradual evolution rather than a sudden increase. Or the Littles had something to do with this.

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:30 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Or maybe it's just a game with occasional fantasy-style undertones and they're in it for the purpose of interesting character design. :eek:

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:32 AM
DoubleThink said:
Or maybe it's just a game with occasional fantasy-style undertones and they're in it for the purpose of interesting character design. :eek:

</conversation>

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:49 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I am willing to go with the idea that they didn't evolve from rabbits but are their own unique species. Mimigas aren't built for moving fast, jumping or burrowing, if rabbits followed this evolutionary path they would be long extinct before they could even reach the point of being a mimiga. Evolution is slow gradual change over generations, change occurs in offspring but not enough to notice unless you have a couple of million years to wait. The halfway point between rabbit and a mimiga would cause the rabbits to die off during a 150,000 year quest for intelligence.

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:52 AM
andwhyisit said:
I am willing to go with the idea that they didn't evolve from rabbits but are their own unique species. Mimigas aren't built for moving fast, jumping or burrowing, if rabbits followed this evolutionary path they would be long extinct before they could even reach the point of being a mimiga. Evolution is slow gradual change over generations, change occurs in offspring but not enough to notice unless you have a couple of million years to wait. The halfway point between rabbit and a mimiga would cause the rabbits to die off during a 150,000 year quest for intelligence.

We don't know how far in the future this is. We don't know what the world is like outside the island except for a forest. Anything is possible.

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:49 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Kageryushin said:
We don't know how far in the future this is. We don't know what the world is like outside the island except for a forest. Anything is possible.
I found it easier to relate to the world of Cave Story when I was able to find a game that I had personally played with such a story that could explain Cave Story's origins. Intro starts you in some kind of modern world setting [easy to relate to]. By the end of the game you've got the makings of Cave Story in maybe another thousand or more years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-v3QrZ6x14
Crystalis : Here's the text of the opening...
-----------------------------------

1997 , October 1 , The END DAY
Savage war engulfs the world
Civilization is destroyed...

An evolution had taken place.
The earth's axis shifted and
all creatures became mutated.
Life would never be the same...

Those surviving vowed not to
repeat their mistakes of the
past and erected a great
tower in the sky...

To oppress evil forever...

----------------------------------

100 years have passed.
Most of the earth has
become dominated by
mutated creatures.

People worked together to
rebuild their villages and
their lives, but they still
lived in fear.

As they feared the rebirth
of evil, they remembered the
construction of the tower
and of it's consequences
once activation had begun.

Once evil emerged, would
they still stand a chance?
There was still one hope...

-----------------------------------------

EDIT: I wish I knew which games directly had an influence in Pixel's creation of Cave Story... I'd bet that this could be one of them [It's called God Slayer: Sonata of the Far-Away Sky in Japan]; actually a good new thread would be figuring out which games probably influenced Cave Story...
[Since this is Chaco's thread and all... lol]

If you want to skip to the end of the Crystalis' game here's a very brief video of the tower that reminds me of parts of the island : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KQCqKYjlI0 ; also take note of the final scene of the video, sure reminds me of the scene where the island is falling...

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:49 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Kageryushin said:
I already gave my valid reasons why it is not our earth nor our future several times already:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/30000/

Feb 5, 2008 at 7:41 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
I already gave my valid reasons why it is not our earth nor our future several times already:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/30000/
A point which I am known to disagree with. I prefer the randomness of the timeline and location of the CS world, rather than taking stuff for granted.

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:00 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
A point which I am known to disagree with. I prefer the randomness of the timeline and location of the CS world, rather than taking stuff for granted.
Can you please rephrase that, I had no idea from that whether you were agreeing with my point or disagreeing with it.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:51 PM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
Can you please rephrase that, I had no idea from that whether you were agreeing with my point or disagreeing with it.
lawl I meant I disagree totally. Although your explanation is valid, it doesn't prove anything so there aint no real point in this discussion unless you can state with proof that the CS world is/is not in a particular time span.

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:09 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
lawl I meant I disagree totally. Although your explanation is valid, it doesn't prove anything so there aint no real point in this discussion unless you can state with proof that the CS world is/is not in a particular time span.
Because we would have noticed a giant floating island in the sky by now and the presence of magic if it was somewhere in our timeline, I consider that to be proof enough. Also the fact that when someone creates a fictional world involving magic they stay away from the idea of earth. Was any of the final fantasy worlds Earth? What about Midkemia? What about the majority of fantasy books/games/manga/anime? They take Earth out of the equation too. Seriously the idea of adding earth to everything is foolish, why do you so cling to the idea of Earth so much that you lose all reason?

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:04 AM
andwhyisit said:
Because we would have noticed a giant floating island in the sky by now and the presence of magic if it was somewhere in our timeline, I consider that to be proof enough. Also the fact that when someone creates a fictional world involving magic they stay away from the idea of earth. Was any of the final fantasy worlds Earth? What about Midkemia? What about the majority of fantasy books/games/manga/anime? They take Earth out of the equation too. Seriously the idea of adding earth to everything is foolish, why do you so cling to the idea of Earth so much that you lose all reason?

That's the most pitiful reasoning I've ever seen. It's worse than ours, and ours is admittedly pretty damned bad. I'm going to go with one of the oldest tricks in the book and say "Cave Story isn't any of the damned things you just mentioned." Frankly, because the planet on which Cave Story takes place is not named, it could, for the umpteenth ****ing time, be freaking anything. Magic could have stemmed from anywhere for various reasons. Oh **** this. You know what, Pixel left us with all this ambiguity just because he couldn’t explain shit about his own universe if freaking God himself requested him too and so he "leaves it up to us." Just ****ing great, right?

For the thousandth God damned time, half the things in Cave Story could be freaking anything and you can’t say that someone else’s speculation is any better than your’s unless the idea is so freaking logical that almost everyone agrees and those who don’t are just plain idiots. I mean, come on, why the hell do you cling on to the idea that the location isn’t Earth?