Chaco: Discussion and inevitable off-topicness

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:03 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
X-Calibar said:
Sure, I could see Cave Story occuring on earth. Let's take a leap back 100 or 200 years ago and think about the technology we had available then. Now look at what we have now. Sure ANTI-GRAVITY is impossible, especially for an island... But, you know the world is flat.
Give us another thousand years or however long as it takes.

I'll bet we'll be able to create intelligent huminoid robotics. Technologies that defy conventional reasoning hopefully will be abound. Our biological knowledge is far from complete. One day we'll be able to understand how to fully manipulate biological life. Can an organic creature express abilities that only futuristic machines are thought capable of doing? [Such as the whole deal with the Core.] I wouldn't underestimate what we be created if given time. What about magic? Sure the effects could be replicated. We are not told how it works at all. So as long as it looks the same. Stuff like teleportation have been theorized. I mean didn't I hear that we've actually theorized creating a type of wormhole on earth? [that fact alone is bizarre]
Give us enough time and I'm sure we'll come up with something to control the strangest of things.

What I'm trying to say is, the most unexpected inventions may occur in the years to come. Perhaps we will see what we need to re-create the events of Cave Story. And truthfully, you can never be absolutely sure unless your able to view the entire time-line, and dimensional possibilities of this earth. Without being able to see all the information you are simply stating presumptions that are probably not your own.

If you are trying to say Cave Story didn't happen in our past. Then I'm inclined to agree; seems rather unlikely! Did it happen on earth? That's an entirely different question.

What is more important than asking if Cave Story exists in our earth's reality at this point? Is how can we see all dimensional possiblities, if such a thing really exists.

Andwhyisit is correct to speculate such a thing has or has not occured. But, verifying such a theory is at present impossible.

well something like that anywayss
Well it is not a part of OUR timeline. Also, the existence of magic and a difference in gravity makes me assume that it is not earth. I recall an explanation upon how a earth radically changed and gave way to magic to become this fantasy world and blah blah blah and it made NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. I have the idea of how it would be earth stuck in my head and it sounds so stupid to me that I would rather behead Quote than have that as part of cave story's history and I doubt that Pixel would come up with something so stupid either. The idea behind a fantasy world is to start with a clean slate and create whatever world you desire.

Earth exists, does a story have to work on the basis that it exists? No.
You exist, does a story have to work on the basis that you exist? No.

Feb 7, 2008 at 2:28 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
not trying to be rude...

Well it is not a part of OUR timeline.
Do you have the ability to see the future? Can you tell me what will and will not come to pass?

I can understand where you are coming from when speaking of the "past". But, are you so certain of what the future holds?
An educated guess from basic knowledge and experiences will say, it is improbable. But impossible? If you feel so strongly about it, then rule it out; and say I do no believe this ever to be possible or to ever happen... in "your" opinion. But, do not make a judgement for all unless you have all of the information.

It is ridiculous to confuse fact and fiction. That is what I feel like you are trying to say.

The fictional piece of work: the game known as Cave Story in english, was created in our reality. On Earth. So you can say it exists on Earth.
You are saying the events and places of Cave Story can never exist on Earth. And yet, if someone were to make a live-action movie of it, that might as well qualify and disprove your claim.
The fact is that nobody has defined how Cave Story must exist, to exist in our timeline. You are merely interpeting/imagining what Cave Story must look like in your own mind; to exist in real life.
Let's go with the assumption that Cave Story has to have a floating island; a huge chunk of earth land needs to float in the sky to be the first step towards making the events of Cave Story a reality.
No, I do not know what kind of technology would be required to create such a feat. For it probably hasn't been invented yet. But, will it be impossible to create it in the future? Only time will tell.
The same uncertainty applies to all aspects of Cave Story. Example : What is Magic? Why is it so impossible? There are no scientific explanations on how it is created, so why call it impossible when you have great freedom to find a way to create something similar? [So many in the past repeatedly have claimed great things to be impossible... I'm glad they were wrong!]

Mumbo Jumbo, yeah you are tired of reading stuff that you know. I'm simply stating, that you must be clear when making an all-knowing Fact statement.

I recall an explanation upon how a earth radically changed and gave way to magic to become this fantasy world and blah blah blah
If you are referring to the story of Crystalis, it was a work of pure fiction; and I did not imply that it was a factual record of events that occured or have yet to occur. It was simply, a known fictional work that might help people *imagine* the events that lead up to Cave Story.

The idea behind a fantasy world is to start with a clean slate and create whatever world you desire.
That does not stop people from claiming their world to be our Earth. There is however, an implied fact that should exist in intelligent minds, that it may have nothing to do with our direct physical reality. Working with Earth, is much easier than creating an entirely unique existence. Earth is something all living here can probably relate to. That is a possible reason why people may choose to say, my story takes place on earth... once upon a time...

Earth exists, does a story have to work on the basis that it exists? No.
You exist, does a story have to work on the basis that you exist? No.
...? Yes this is correct.
Although if you want a headache, if earth does not exist, and we do not exist. Can a story exist? We have yet to meet any other sentient beings... Without earth's existence there may never be another story to be told...

If you do not exist, how can anything exist, including the story. Are you positive that the world will go on in your absence? *raises sephorith's blade*

I'm just messing around :eek: I agree that it isn't on Earth. But, still I had to fight it. I probably took things out of context, and whatnot but eh!#! maybe I managed to get something right ;)

EDIT: Whoa... this is the Chaco topic??

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:06 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
X-Calibar said:
Do you have the ability to see the future? Can you tell me what will and will not come to pass?
No but I can see the present and learn of the past, plus whats available from cave story's history.

X-Calibar said:
I can understand where you are coming from when speaking of the "past". But, are you so certain of what the future holds?
An educated guess from basic knowledge and experiences will say, it is improbable. But impossible? If you feel so strongly about it, then rule it out; and say I do no believe this ever to be possible or to ever happen... in "your" opinion. But, do not make a judgement for all unless you have all of the information.

It is ridiculous to confuse fact and fiction. That is what I feel like you are trying to say.

The fictional piece of work: the game known as Cave Story in english, was created in our reality. On Earth. So you can say it exists on Earth.
You are saying the events and places of Cave Story can never exist on Earth. And yet, if someone were to make a live-action movie of it, that might as well qualify and disprove your claim.
The fact is that nobody has defined how Cave Story must exist, to exist in our timeline. You are merely interpeting/imagining what Cave Story must look like in your own mind; to exist in real life.
Let's go with the assumption that Cave Story has to have a floating island; a huge chunk of earth land needs to float in the sky to be the first step towards making the events of Cave Story a reality.
No, I do not know what kind of technology would be required to create such a feat. For it probably hasn't been invented yet. But, will it be impossible to create it in the future? Only time will tell.
The same uncertainty applies to all aspects of Cave Story. Example : What is Magic? Why is it so impossible? There are no scientific explanations on how it is created, so why call it impossible when you have great freedom to find a way to create something similar? [So many in the past repeatedly have claimed great things to be impossible... I'm glad they were wrong!]

Mumbo Jumbo, yeah you are tired of reading stuff that you know. I'm simply stating, that you must be clear when making an all-knowing Fact statement.
This isn't about fact this is about logic. Logic stands to say that the events of cave story is not within our timeline or our world (within the bounds of the story) but fails to prove it.

X-Calibar said:
If you are referring to the story of Crystalis, it was a work of pure fiction; and I did not imply that it was a factual record of events that occured or have yet to occur. It was simply, a known fictional work that might help people *imagine* the events that lead up to Cave Story.
No i was talking about a series of seven books that at the very end the author tried to connect their timeline with Earth's, that part didn't make much sense but the rest of the story was great.

X-Calibar said:
That does not stop people from claiming their world to be our Earth. There is however, an implied fact that should exist in intelligent minds, that it may have nothing to do with our direct physical reality. Working with Earth, is much easier than creating an entirely unique existence. Earth is something all living here can probably relate to. That is a possible reason why people may choose to say, my story takes place on earth... once upon a time...
The riftwar took place on Midkemia once upon a time.

People just take certain elements of their fictional worlds from earth and have the rest molded to however they want because people relate to earth-like fictional worlds. Even Stargate had earthlike alien planets.

X-Calibar said:
Although if you want a headache, if earth does not exist, and we do not exist. Can a story exist? We have yet to meet any other sentient beings... Without earth's existence there may never be another story to be told...

If you do not exist, how can anything exist, including the story. Are you positive that the world will go on in your absence? *raises sephorith's blade*
But this is outside the bounds of the story, or of any fictional story.

X-Calibar said:
I'm just messing around :eek: I agree that it isn't on Earth. But, still I had to fight it. I probably took things out of context, and whatnot but eh!#! maybe I managed to get something right ;)
Yay! Someone agrees. :D

But seriously, was half of that even necessary?

X-Calibar said:
Andwhyisit is correct to speculate such a thing has or has not occured. But, verifying such a theory is at present impossible.
It will always be impossible unless someone states that earth is another planet within the bounds of the story.

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:52 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
andwhyisit said:
No but I can see the present and learn of the past, plus whats available from cave story's history.

This isn't about fact this is about logic. Logic stands to say that cave story is not within our timeline or our world (within the bounds of the story) but fails to prove it.

No i was talking about a series of seven books that at the very end the author tried to connect their timeline with Earth's, that part didn't make much sense but the rest of the story was great.

The riftwar took place on Midkemia once upon a time.

But this is outside the bounds of the story, or of any fictional story.

Yay! Someone agrees. :eek:

I'm facepalming so hard right now...

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:03 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Kageryushin said:
I'm facepalming so hard right now...
Better than me doing it. ;)

Also, why? :eek:

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:58 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
The one thing that makes me less inclined to CS being in the future is that the timeline seems a bit absurd. I mean, we're like a 100 years behind what could be the first Quote like robot. But for magic we're like 300 years. The CS world has clear implications that Magic existed long befor Quote did.

But as I said, nothing is ruled out. So CS might well be a virtual world as in the .hack// series.

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:57 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
The one thing that makes me less inclined to CS being in the future is that the timeline seems a bit absurd. I mean, we're like a 100 years behind what could be the first Quote like robot. But for magic we're like 300 years. The CS world has clear implications that Magic existed long befor Quote did.

But as I said, nothing is ruled out. So CS might well be a virtual world as in the .hack// series.
Or the matrix. But such worlds have a revelation of such within the story. I am not going to try to prove my point, just back it up with enough logic to prove to everyone that inserting our earth timeline to cave story will create a timeline that only a monkey or 2-year-old could have come up with. I can not ever offer proof, the only proof you will ever get is from the creator of that fictional world Pixel, and he will find the question rather silly. The world in Cave Story is as DoubleThink said, a pseudo-earth, a world that although it is based off of earth happens to be solely the creation of the storyteller. Such worlds are never meant to be resticted by the earth's timeline but have its own timeline.

F*%kin' 0.00000000000001% :eek:

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:20 PM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
Or the matrix. But such worlds have a revelation of such within the story. I am not going to try to prove my point, just back it up with enough logic to prove to everyone that inserting our earth timeline to cave story will create a timeline that only a monkey or 2-year-old could have come up with. I can not ever offer proof, the only proof you will ever get is from the creator of that fictional world Pixel, and he will find the question rather silly. The world in Cave Story is as DoubleThink said, a pseudo-earth, a world that although it is based off of earth happens to be solely the creation of the storyteller. Such worlds are never meant to be resticted by the earth's timeline but have its own timeline.

F*%kin' 0.00000000000001% :eek:
Actuall in many fantasy fictions, take Harry Potter for instance, earth is the planet where it all occurs and nobody thinks it's stupid. I dunno why it seems so dumb to you, but by the low probability order, I meant we can rule nothing out, and the 0.00000000000001% isn't to be taken literally. You can't really predict the chances because all it takes is a good bit of imagination to fit any story anywhere unless the author says otherwise.

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:45 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
Actuall in many fantasy fictions, take Harry Potter for instance, earth is the planet where it all occurs and nobody thinks it's stupid. I dunno why it seems so dumb to you, but by the low probability order, I meant we can rule nothing out, and the 0.00000000000001% isn't to be taken literally. You can't really predict the chances because all it takes is a good bit of imagination to fit any story anywhere unless the author says otherwise.
No, I am talking about stories that were not meant to fit into earth's history being made to fit into earths history by the readers, usually resulting in some very stupid and retarded timelines that make no sense and take away from the story. A story that was made with the intention of including Earth from day one yield much better and cleaner timelines. If you create a world with its own timeline and then try to add earth in later it never works.

Probably a 0.000000000000000000000000000000001% chance that one or more of the 0.00000000000001% chance timelines is a decent story. :D

Explain the change in gravity then. Don't tell me you haven't noticed. :D

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:10 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
No, I am talking about stories that were not meant to fit into earth's history being made to fit into earths history by the readers, usually resulting in some very stupid and retarded timelines that make no sense and take away from the story. A story that was made with the intention of including Earth from day one yield much better and cleaner timelines. If you create a world with its own timeline and then try to add earth in later it never works.

Whatever, it don't seem all that stupid to me
andwhyisit said:
Probably a 0.000000000000000000000000000000001% chance that one or more of the 0.00000000000001% chance timelines is a decent story. :D
I should register that as a TM :D.

andwhyisit said:
Explain the change in gravity then. Don't tell me you haven't noticed. :D
Did you notice that the change in gravity applied only for non-humans? Maybe all these species (That's right, including Quote and Curly) were lighter :D.

Also, all this took place on the island, which may have developed a repulsive force, reducing the effect of earth's gravitational force.

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:27 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
Whatever, it don't seem all that stupid to me
You know what, you come up with a timeline and I will pick flaws in it since that is all you have doing to me, have fun. *sarcasm*

Also don't forget that.. ah nevermind, I'll let you figure it out yourself.

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:01 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
You know what, you come up with a timeline and I will pick flaws in it since that is all you have doing to me, have fun. *sarcasm*

Also don't forget that.. ah nevermind, I'll let you figure it out yourself.
Er... wtf????

Maybe we should let the others a chance to opine here before we make this a full-fledged 2 party debate. Also remember that "unlikely" does not mean "laughable". I feel earth is an unlikely theory, but not laughable.

BTW, if in a fanfic or mod you see "earth" to be the based planet, you shouldn't be too quick to write it off, as long as it retains the "WTF" element (and preferably an "I leave it to your imagination" as a sidenote) or a highly innovative explanation.

Seriously dude, you should stop limiting your imagination and admit that in a world like Pixel where anything's possibe, anything is possible. Don't elimintate possiblities that seem dumb to you, because, as a smart bot once told me, "intelligence and dullness are totally relative" :D.

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:21 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
Er... wtf????

Maybe we should let the others a chance to opine here before we make this a full-fledged 2 party debate. Also remember that "unlikely" does not mean "laughable". I feel earth is an unlikely theory, but not laughable.

BTW, if in a fanfic or mod you see "earth" to be the based planet, you shouldn't be too quick to write it off, as long as it retains the "WTF" element (and preferably an "I leave it to your imagination" as a sidenote) or a highly innovative explanation.

Seriously dude, you should stop limiting your imagination and admit that in a world like Pixel where anything's possibe, anything is possible. Don't elimintate possiblities that seem dumb to you, because, as a smart bot once told me, "intelligence and dullness are totally relative" :D.
Any backstory that is beneath Pixel's storytelling abilities will be written off. I apply this to every theory I come up with, every single one.

Feb 9, 2008 at 7:04 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
Any backstory that is beneath Pixel's storytelling abilities will be written off. I apply this to every theory I come up with, every single one.
I'm sorry, but "beneath Pixel's storytelling ability" is quite relative. I personally believe that "where there is a will, there is always a way".

Feb 9, 2008 at 11:48 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
I'm sorry, but "beneath Pixel's storytelling ability" is quite relative. I personally believe that "where there is a will, there is always a way".
Even if it involves 5 dimensions and a talking rubber chicken?

Can we at least agree that the chances are very high that it isn't earth. (Please answer this)

No matter how many points I make to support what is plainly obvious it makes little impact when you have something near to infinity in the number of possibilities you can use, if pixel had of released a map showing the continents of the cs world I could have with enough research extinguished those possibilities (no matter what events control your timeline the tectonic plates will move the same) but I am stuck with the information I have, and while I have probably removed more posibilities than anyone can count and yet I still have not gotten anywhere, I had other points to make but I feel that they are doing nothing. I am sick and tired of this argument to the point of utter frustration and I would like to see it end, even if not to the degree I wanted.

Feb 9, 2008 at 2:05 PM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
Even if it involves 5 dimensions and a talking rubber chicken?
OMFG, you guessed my idea for a mod plotline lol.
andwhyisit said:
Can we at least agree that the chances are very high that it isn't earth. (Please answer this)
Define "very high". In the context of agreement, I'd say about 66% (which including the chickens one, lol). But you must open your eyes to the fact that in the world of fanfiction, any story manipulation is possible, provided it is done by a skilful and creative writer. The same goes for mods and artwork.

andwhyisit said:
No matter how many points I make to support what is plainly obvious it makes little impact when you have something near to infinity in the number of possibilities you can use, if pixel had of released a map showing the continents of the cs world I could have with enough research extinguished those possibilities (no matter what events control your timeline the tectonic plates will move the same) but I am stuck with the information I have, and while I have probably removed more posibilities than anyone can count and yet I still have not gotten anywhere, I had other points to make but I feel that they are doing nothing. I am sick and tired of this argument to the point of utter frustration and I would like to see it end, even if not to the degree I wanted.
Heh, I wouldn't mind if this ended either. And with Pixel acting dumb eveytime we approach him with a question, we're going no-where with this discussion, especially since we're doing it in a thread of Chaco and [edit]ing.

It would've been a lot better if someone else had taken time to post here, though :D .

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:53 PM
Indie game enthusiast
I wonder why Chaco's name is Santa, and why woof woof woof is nekomimi job? I wonder I question huh huh!! WtF>@?$

< SPOILER > Don't Reeeeeeeeeeeeeead ahead of the words in you. Please no! EAT!

Anyways, like I was saying, WORLDS

I think so too.

Ok... lt.er...

*transmission corrupted!*
Mewoooooooo!

EDIT: oops wrong fourm
"Could always break up the computer into pieces"

EDITEDIET: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catgirl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakeneko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjY_j5tcsWc

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:24 PM
Indie game enthusiast
a Chacobo welcomes you back *peck*

Feb 9, 2008 at 9:53 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
OMFG, you guessed my idea for a mod plotline lol.

Define "very high". In the context of agreement, I'd say about 66% (which including the chickens one, lol). But you must open your eyes to the fact that in the world of fanfiction, any story manipulation is possible, provided it is done by a skilful and creative writer. The same goes for mods and artwork.

Heh, I wouldn't mind if this ended either. And with Pixel acting dumb eveytime we approach him with a question, we're going no-where with this discussion, especially since we're doing it in a thread of Chaco and [edit]ing.

It would've been a lot better if someone else had taken time to post here, though :D .
69% or 71% more likely. It's not very high but I guess it would do. Now I must take my leave before this discussion reverts back to the sex lives of various cave story characters. :p