Chaco: Discussion and inevitable off-topicness

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:53 AM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
andwhyisit said:
Because we would have noticed a giant floating island in the sky by now and the presence of magic if it was somewhere in our timeline, I consider that to be proof enough. Also the fact that when someone creates a fictional world involving magic they stay away from the idea of earth. Was any of the final fantasy worlds Earth? What about Midkemia? What about the majority of fantasy books/games/manga/anime? They take Earth out of the equation too. Seriously the idea of adding earth to everything is foolish, why do you so cling to the idea of Earth so much that you lose all reason?

In the star ocean series Earth is mentioned.. killed in 3.. but I think in 1 you even get to walk around on earth i havent gotten that far.. Also Earth was mentioned in phantasy star 3. I think the exact wording was "London Spaceport"

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:51 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
CS is definitely earth.

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:57 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
andwhyisit said:
Also the fact that when someone creates a fictional world involving magic they stay away from the idea of earth. Was any of the final fantasy worlds Earth? What about Midkemia? What about the majority of fantasy books/games/manga/anime?
None of that is proof enough for me. As I have said before, your reason rules NOTHING out, and while proablity may swing in your favour even the 0.00000001 % chance of the world not being earth is sufficient for us to not be able to pick an answer. You even used the key word "majority" there, and in lotsa cases the majority doesn't seem to apply. What if the CS world was way back in the past where technology DID exist as always (science's powers can be harnessed regardless of human existance). Besides, is there any mention that the Sakamotos were human and not a speicies that looked, acted and talked like humans?
andwhyisit said:
Because we would have noticed a giant floating island in the sky by now and the presence of magic if it was somewhere in our timeline, I consider that to be proof enough.
The normal ending (which I, like Atravir, consider the REAL ending of the game with the Ballos stuff being just add-on bonuses) sees the island crash. How do we know that all this wasn't in the past and that the crash didn't have the impact that the meteor had, wiping nearly all signs of higher existance on the face of the earth?

And besides, so many fictions use the idea of earth having all kinds of fantasy inside it, about which only a few know. If this was in the future, it could be possible that the few became many after strange disappearances around the floating island (which could be taken for convenience as invisible to the human eye when viewed from the outside, although there may be a ton of other ways to have the island hidden) the Earth sent the research party to the suspected location.

andwhyisit said:
They take Earth out of the equation too. Seriously the idea of adding earth to everything is foolish, why do you so cling to the idea of Earth so much that you lose all reason?

I do not "cling" to the idea of the earth being the focal point of the CS world. I personally agree that there are more chances of the world belonging to something totally alternate universal, but I do not agree with the way you put it. What I say is that the CS world belonging to Earth is not downright impossible, just unlikely. It is just not safe to assume that Quote and co. belonged to somewhere else totally.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:32 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
*Agrees to disagree*
I've always thought that it was some kind of pseudo-earth, like the kind that exist in almost all RPG's, simply because it's incredibly difficult to create something that doesn't resemble the earth in one way or another. A lot of things are the same (e.g. humans, trees, oceans, continents etc), but then you get things like magic and mimigas and suchlike thrown in as well. I can't see Cave Story occuring anywhere on Earth (Earth has a notable lack of floating islands), but at the same time I don't seeing happening somewhere totally different due to all the similarities.

And when it comes down to it, the whole thing occurs on the island anyway, so at least for the purposes of Cave Story, the world is not the most important thing in the world :(

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:40 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
DoubleThink said:
I've always thought that it was some kind of pseudo-earth, like the kind that exist in almost all RPG's, simply because it's incredibly difficult to create something that doesn't resemble the earth in one way or another.
That is what I have been trying to say.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:40 AM
I agree with DoubleThink, The trees in most RPGs resemble earth trees, have you seen trees on another planet? I saw a documentory on a planet they saw that could contain life, the trees were retarded.. Although the trees on that planet were purely theory. But they are probably right.. they are scientists after all.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:59 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Kaeso said:
I agree with DoubleThink, The trees in most RPGs resemble earth trees, have you seen trees on another planet? I saw a documentory on a planet they saw that could contain life, the trees were retarded.. Although the trees on that planet were purely theory. But they are probably right.. they are scientists after all.
Even in Star Ocean where they confirmed it was a planet other than earth it STILL had earth trees and many earth similarities despite earth being a different planet in that game.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:01 AM
If you are talking about SO3, Elicoor, (the planet you spend most time on) Was almost exactly as close to the sun in its system as Earth is in the Solar System, so I don't think its much of a suprise Elicoor looked so much like earth.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:04 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Hold a min, I have some proof that CS happened on Earth.

Firstly, there is fire. Fire needs oxygen. The only planet that has oxygen is Earth.
Secondly, gravity. Though other planets do have gravity, gravity on other planets is not as strong as that of Earth.
Thirdly, earthquakes occur. The only place where there are earthquakes are...? :(

EARTH. DUH!

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:17 AM
Respwnt
Metalogz said:

Firstly, there is fire. Fire needs oxygen. The only planet that has oxygen is Earth.
Secondly, gravity. Though other planets do have gravity, gravity on other planets is not as strong as that of Earth.
Thirdly, earthquakes occur. The only place where there are earthquakes are...? :(

EARTH. DUH!
The word "earthquake" is used only in ZT's mod lol, not in CS.

And we're not talking about our solar system.. There are millions of other planets which we don't have a clue about. Those are the ones we're talkin about.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:32 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Kaeso said:
If you are talking about SO3, Elicoor, (the planet you spend most time on) Was almost exactly as close to the sun in its system as Earth is in the Solar System, so I don't think its much of a suprise Elicoor looked so much like earth.
No I meant the first star ocean game, the snes one. But your point still stands. (I have played both btw)

To Everyone Else: And I'm sure that the book Nineteen Eighty-Four was in our timeline too. I swear that if an explaination for it being earth's timeline is possible - no matter how stupid it sounds - there will always be someone who accepts it.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:37 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Metalogz said:

EARTH. DUH!
Elicor isn't earth despite having fire, oxygen, gravity, trees and earthquakes.

And earthquakes do occur on other planets, so does oxygen occasionally, gravity and trees from what Kaeso said. Try harder next time.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:39 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
No I meant the first star ocean game, the snes one. But your point still stands. (I have played both btw)

To Everyone Else: And I'm sure that the book Nineteen Eighty-Four was in our timeline too. I swear that if an explaination for it being earth's timeline is possible - no matter how stupid it sounds - there will always be someone who accepts it.
That's what I meant by 0.0000001 % chances.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:39 AM
Metalogz said:

EARTH. DUH!

Earth has 2 meanings, the planet we live on, and dirt.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:43 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
andwhyisit said:
Holy moly moly, Orwell reference! ...I hope ._. But if you are referring to what I think you are, then yes, that was meant to occur in our timeline. It was a hypothetical view of what 1984 could have been like if totalitarianism was allowed to take over, from the viewpoint of a post WW2 era. In fact some folks reckon that the reason the world isn't like that is because the book was written in the first place. How d'you like them apples?

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:25 PM
Justin-chan
Why are earthquakes called earthquakes on other planets if they don't happen on Earth?

Feb 6, 2008 at 1:45 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
DoubleThink said:
Holy moly moly, Orwell reference! ...I hope ._. But if you are referring to what I think you are, then yes, that was meant to occur in our timeline. It was a hypothetical view of what 1984 could have been like if totalitarianism was allowed to take over, from the viewpoint of a post WW2 era. In fact some folks reckon that the reason the world isn't like that is because the book was written in the first place. How d'you like them apples?
Yes I know it is Earth in that particular case, but it isn't in our timeline is it? That was the point that I was making.

jcys810 said:
Why are earthquakes called earthquakes on other planets if they don't happen on Earth?
And you guys thought my reasoning was bad. Look two posts above you for your answer.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:12 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Sure, I could see Cave Story occuring on earth. Let's take a leap back 100 or 200 years ago and think about the technology we had available then. Now look at what we have now. Sure ANTI-GRAVITY is impossible, especially for an island... But, you know the world is flat.
Give us another thousand years or however long as it takes.

I'll bet we'll be able to create intelligent huminoid robotics. Technologies that defy conventional reasoning hopefully will be abound. Our biological knowledge is far from complete. One day we'll be able to understand how to fully manipulate biological life. Can an organic creature express abilities that only futuristic machines are thought capable of doing? [Such as the whole deal with the Core.] I wouldn't underestimate what we be created if given time. What about magic? Sure the effects could be replicated. We are not told how it works at all. So as long as it looks the same. Stuff like teleportation have been theorized. I mean didn't I hear that we've actually theorized creating a type of wormhole on earth? [that fact alone is bizarre]
Give us enough time and I'm sure we'll come up with something to control the strangest of things.

What I'm trying to say is, the most unexpected inventions may occur in the years to come. Perhaps we will see what we need to re-create the events of Cave Story. And truthfully, you can never be absolutely sure unless your able to view the entire time-line, and dimensional possibilities of this earth. Without being able to see all the information you are simply stating presumptions that are probably not your own.

If you are trying to say Cave Story didn't happen in our past. Then I'm inclined to agree; seems rather unlikely! Did it happen on earth? That's an entirely different question.

What is more important than asking if Cave Story exists in our earth's reality at this point? Is how can we see all dimensional possiblities, if such a thing really exists.

Andwhyisit is correct to speculate such a thing has or has not occured. But, verifying such a theory is at present impossible.

well something like that anywayss