Cavern Tale [The Museum Update]

Nov 29, 2020 at 5:05 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
HOW CAN YOU BEAT THE FROG GUY?!??!?!??!?

Nov 29, 2020 at 5:11 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
HOW CAN YOU BEAT THE FROG GUY?!??!?!??!?
p374569-0-unknown.png

Don't worry about the saving thing it won't matter.

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:16 AM
Sometimes, to get my head in the right place when facing a tough boss, what I do is exit out the game completely and grab a glass of water. I don't drink the water nono, I just grab it. Then after doing a couple of no-handed cartwheels I boot up the game again, reload my save, and feel invigorated to take on the challenge head on. The game is refreshed too because you closed and reopened it. You're happy. The computer is happy. Everyone is happy.

If you follow these same steps as closely as possible, I guarantee that the path to overcoming Dr. Gero the serial killer frog will be revealed. I'm not messing with you and wasting your time. You will reload that save and escape that room if you follow the steps to the best of your ability.

May 7, 2022 at 1:04 AM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
did you remove the pot in the new version

May 7, 2022 at 1:19 AM
May 7, 2022 at 1:23 AM
May 7, 2022 at 1:53 AM
what made you think of adding this
Most of my mods check this specific key to do debug things (like skipping parts of levels or cutscenes), since it's OOB TSC (doesn't require assembly patching) and virtually nobody is going to unintentionally be holding down this key when playing mods. It's done via <FLJ9108:XXXX .

And in almost all instances I leave it in because it's helpful in debugging and it's more a hassle to turn them on and off for every update. A ton of my mods as they are currently released have specific points where this key is checked, but the tricky part is that I'm the only one who knows where and when they are. It just made sense to covert this old debug item prompt into the system I do for mods nowadays.

May 7, 2022 at 8:29 PM
Most of my mods check this specific key to do debug things (like skipping parts of levels or cutscenes), since it's OOB TSC (doesn't require assembly patching) and virtually nobody is going to unintentionally be holding down this key when playing mods. It's done via <FLJ9108:XXXX .

And in almost all instances I leave it in because it's helpful in debugging and it's more a hassle to turn them on and off for every update. A ton of my mods as they are currently released have specific points where this key is checked, but the tricky part is that I'm the only one who knows where and when they are. It just made sense to covert this old debug item prompt into the system I do for mods nowadays.
can the chinfish ever die i shot it 250 times so i could feed it to mahin but then he became invincible

May 8, 2022 at 6:59 PM
can the chinfish ever die i shot it 250 times so i could feed it to mahin but then he became invincible
No. You can't kill it and there's no way to complete Mahin's "quest". It's invincible and Mahin doesn't have any hidden lines or acknowledgement if it somehow dies.

Originally back in 2013/2014 I was planning on having this actually be possible/necessary. Mahin would ask you again in the Plantation Jail, and that would lead to the player having to enter the door up at the top of the Reservoir and having an arena boss fight with the chinfish. This chinfish boss was actually made and pretty much ""complete"" when part 2 released, but I did something to deactivate it from triggering. I don't know off the top of my head how to re-enable the boss without digging into the script. The mod didn't make it any farther than part 2 though (with the Museum Update ending at Outer Wall canonically).

With Cavern Tale's original cancelation I then planned to reuse the fight with the purple chinfish in Carnage Clash. That also didn't happen. Roughly 5 years later the arena fight was finally released as the first phase/part of Blargo's bossfight in BlargoDX: The Death of Blargo. It's all TSC and 95% the same script wise. Just imagine Blargo's Arena but it's instead a chinfish and vanilla enemy sprites and you have the exact same thing. The 2nd/final phase of the Blargo boss is also based off of some early tests for a Curly fight that dates back to 2014 for Cavern Tale.

Apr 25, 2023 at 1:25 AM
I'm two days late on announcing this but I've been busy with coursework and got a bit carried away with trying to release/post something else on the exact date, which still isn't ready. Typical Enlight fashion of getting carried away on things. I'm the only one keeping track though and in the grand scheme of things there's no real reason to care for being precise to the exact date.

But without further ado. 10 years (+ 2 days) ago on April 22nd 2013 I made this forum account and created this thread. 10 years of existing as a public user of the Cave Story fandom/community starting with this very site. There's quite a bit that I still want to do here, a lot of it very very soon, and to start off I will be livestreaming a developer commentary playthrough of my first mod Cavern Tale on Sunday, April 30th starting at 1:00PM PDT. Click here to convert that to your local timezone. This stream will be on my Twitch channel here in live format so that people can ask me questions if they desire. Another benefit is there are no ads on my Twitch channel, which wouldn't be the case for streaming to YouTube. Afterwards it will promptly be posted on YouTube and in this thread later for posterity. My goal is to give an insider perspective of the trials faced and the solutions used with making the mod, as well as just give fun stories about the time making it.

I want to do these developer commentaries for a handful of my most notable/larger mods—in chronological order*—and so depending on time and my energy I may also stream developer commentary for Cave (No Story) right after, otherwise that will happen on a later date.
*(I am skipping The Endless Sanctuary Customizer for the time being as a large update has been in the works for it for a number of years now).

Other mod developer commentaries will happen on later dates. Likely not until this summer.
A gigantic monolithic retrospective post on the 10 years has almost finished its first draft. I didn't get to finish it in time for posting 2 days ago.
Other posts and releases from me are also planned to follow over the next month (or two) here on the forums. Stuff that is either complete or very close to being so.
Thank you everyone who has supported me all these years and/or participated and played the stuff I've made. You guys are the reason I'm still here.

Update: Was a fun 7.5 hour stream! Laughs and enjoyment throughout exploring my terrible early modding (some cutscenes still holdup though). Talked about the story and ideas I was (apparently) planning to finish the mod that never happened and showed some exclusive stuff like the dummied-out chinfish bossfight. VOD is up on my twitch and a YouTube VOD with (some) timestamps will be up later this week posted here on the thread. Thanks everyone who watched!

Last edited: