Cavern Tale [The Museum Update]

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:20 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
This mod sucks, it was my first mod while I learned how to use an editor and write TSC.
I dislike 70% of it. It has fake difficulty and dumb dialogue throughout.
Only a fraction is redeemable in my eyes.
However, I also don't like it when things just disappear from the internet. I'm a fan of archival.
That's why almost everything I make is hosted on five different websites, for preservation.
Yet as much as I protest, people keep finding this mod (as well as the equally bad Cave No Story)
I don't wish to finish this as it was originally intended, and I never will.
If I were to properly return to the universe of Cavern Tale, it would have to be through a reboot.
The mod would have to be restarted from scratch, quickly derailing from the vanilla formula.
Susan would immediately start taking hostages in Mimiga Village...
The Chef would be written out of his antagonistic role and join your side early on...
...and grill...
...to be honest he would just grill food the whole story.
etcetera etcetera.

This is not that reboot. I feel I do not have the time nor desire.
I feel my efforts would be better towards other projects. Mods that need to be concluded just like this one.
This is the compromise. I will ignore the content and fix up everything around it without adding anything new.
If people are going to play my worst turds, I may as well polish it and put it on a silver platter.
I started this update back in November 2017. I avoided it for almost 3 years. Today it gets released.

Presenting: The Museum Update
- A massive amount of bugs squashed and typos fixed (yet there's probably a ton I missed).
- Quality of life improvements throughout every aspect (yet there are still spikes and enemies dumped everywhere).
- The content itself, level design and dialogue, is 95% untouched. It's the original Cavern Tale from 2013-2014.
- Four unique* endings that are all cheap because the mod randomly stops at Outerwall, but hey, at least it doesn't lie and say "To Be Continued..." anymore!
- A credits sequence I threw together.
- I'm not joking. There is no new content. I'm never finishing the story. Don't play this.

*Two of the endings require completing the Beast Fang quest. It's convoluted but a walkthrough.txt is included. You can see all endings in a single playthrough.

- CAVERN TALE -
Cavern tale is a parody/humorous re-imagining of Cave Story, featuring quirky characters, ironic situations, and stealing magical puppies from old ladies. This game also teaches your child math.

You play as an amnesiac robot janitor sent 10 years ago to clean up the fallen brothers at war, and end up in a battle against good and evil as you fight clean your way through the twisted story of Cave Story, except more deadly, because everyone strangely wants to kill you.

Features Include:
- Ironic dialogue and original cutscene animations inspired by Cave Story. It will be familiar, but yet so different from the original story.
- Tougher and more questionable levels from the "Totally Unedited Cave" to "Your Only Escape(?)"
- Hilarious Personas, like the gentlemanly Balrog, the genocide-loving Sue, and the friendly Chef who for some reason can't run an innocent restaurant without everyone thinking he has sinister intentions. (There's also King, but everybody hates that guy).
p167503-0-unknown.png

p167503-1-unknown.png

p167503-1-awallofbirds.png

ILove_Art.png
>>> DOWNLOADS: <<<
All of my mods are available via public folders, so that you can be assured you are always getting the most up-to-date version and none of my work is accidently lost.
Please choose a host:
Dropbox ~ Google Drive ~ Mediafire ~ Mega.nz
Doukutsu.Club

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2013 at 5:24 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
A fully decked-out new version of Cave Story? If you can follow through with this this actually sounds pretty sweet. Good luck, ask if you need anything. I'm fairly good with faces and stuff, although I guess you probably wouldn't need new faces for this.

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:38 AM
MagicDoors said:
A fully decked-out new version of Cave Story? If you can follow through with this this actually sounds pretty sweet. Good luck, ask if you need anything. I'm fairly good with faces and stuff, although I guess you probably wouldn't need new faces for this.
well, 1. I have nothing else to do, so why not try to go as far as I possibly can, I'm somewhat starting with the first 2 things, then doing the third if its easy, and the fourth at the end (even though thats kinda started, as seen in the video)

2. Thanks! the only face is a modified ballos that was really just a microsoft paint placeholder, substituted for humanized sue.

3. I do have a close friend thats been testing it, his insanity actually started the floating ballos head fight... ya...

anyways... thanks!

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:52 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Looks very interesting, sir Enlightened. I hope you make some progress so we can try it!

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Can't wait for the first demo, this looks like a good challenge!

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Pretty much what Magic said. My only hope for this is that it isn't too painfully similar to the original Cave Story, since we've all played it a thousand times already.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Thanks! (I sure don't have pressure to make it acceptable now.)

I'll probably post some screenshots at one point, or an alpha download when up to Sand Zone is completed, or both.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Okay thank you. I'll put this on the list of cave story text and hard difficulty mods.

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:02 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello, This is Nyreal.

I am Enlightend's friend, and I have a slightly outdated trailer to show you. It is good quality though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7opIOf_w0BU

-Nyreal

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:13 AM
The Preacher
Are you Nyreal?

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Been here way too long...
I'm sorry, I just didn't quite catch your name. It was Nyreal though, right?

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:15 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Hi Nyreal
This is Noxid. I am a moderator on this forum. I saw your post. It had a video in it. I agree that it is pretty good quality. I am glad you signed it because I wanted to be sure the video was really posted by Nyreal before I watched it. By the way I am the real Noxid so you can say that Noxid watched your video and even sign that statement because it is authentic.

-Noxid

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:20 AM
The Preacher
Oh so you are Nyreal after all! Why didn't you say so before?

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Been here way too long...
The forums should have something that automatically adds a signature to people's posts, or anything that lets us know who's posting so that we don't have to go through all the trouble of explaining that ourselves.

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a strong fabulous captain ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:24 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks, Noxid for watching my vid :)

And for signing your name too

My friend and I plan to make many more modifications

And yes my name is Nyreal

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Nyreal... we didn't need two videos showing the exact same thing...

And these guys are really sarcastic, you have to get used to it, almost nothing serious is written on the forums (at least of what I have seen).

ANYWAYS... for the rest of you...

yah... this is the "Friend" that was testing for me...

Honestly I had no idea until now that he made an account and posted here. I'm not responsible if he stops thinking logically.

~ Thee Enlightened One (Just to make sure they definitely know that its me, because its so easy to mistake people).

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Professional Whatever
EnlightenedOne said:
almost nothing serious is written on the forums (at least of what I have seen).
Wow okay hold up
If you think that we're just a load of unproductive lunatics you're absolutely right you obviously need to lurk more
I mean have you seen some of the modding work that has been going on, this place is way past productive for such a small community

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:02 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
MagicDoors said:
Wow okay hold up
If you think that we're just a load of unproductive lunatics you're absolutely right you obviously need to lurk more
I mean have you seen some of the modding work that has been going on, this place is way past productive for such a small community
sure maybe we can be productive sometimes
but that doesn't mean we can't also spout nothing but nonsense constantly