Jul 15, 2009 at 3:46 PM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."

Pfhahahahh
E-see previous page, sorry

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:45 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
CE is extremely glitchy for me.
I can't even delete a few maps without a problem popping up.

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:17 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
New members, meh....

Would you even bother to describe these 'glitches'...? {Notice how the previous posts talked about those problems so they could be fixed...}
And did you try looking around to see if someone else might have had the same problem and already solved it?
We don't need a random negative comment, and several people have used CE fine enough to create their own mods, so you're probably doing something wrong....

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:26 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Answered to the best of my ability in that thread.

Chances are there are some bugs with the whole read only bit and probably some subtle problems with map add/delete/copy which will be looked at thoroughly before the release of version 0.98.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:19 AM
Wistil said:
Answered to the best of my ability in that thread.

Chances are there are some bugs with the whole read only bit and probably some subtle problems with map add/delete/copy which will be looked at thoroughly before the release of version 0.98.

Thanks.

But then, after I edited, it says that Cave Story is not a valid Win32 application.

And yes, I searched and no results.

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:47 PM
Been here way too long...
these errors are why I generally steer away from ce. I get them too.
also, void, you are a effing new member, stop trolling on the people who need help because you think you are higher then them.

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:06 PM
Lace said:
these errors are why I generally steer away from ce. I get them too.
also, void, you are a effing new member, stop trolling on the people who need help because you think you are higher then them.

Not as new as me :D

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:05 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Gaajashin said:
Thanks.

But then, after I edited, it says that Cave Story is not a valid Win32 application.
Uh... what? What on earth did you edit?

To remove the read-only flag, you right-click on the file and choose "Properties" from the menu; there's a checkbox labelled something like "Read-only" that needs to be unchecked. But you don't do this with the exe – you do it with the tsc, pxe, etc files in the data folder.

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:47 PM
Celtic Minstrel said:
Uh... what? What on earth did you edit?

To remove the read-only flag, you right-click on the file and choose "Properties" from the menu; there's a checkbox labelled something like "Read-only" that needs to be unchecked. But you don't do this with the exe – you do it with the tsc, pxe, etc files in the data folder.

Bah. then I have to restart.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:14 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheh...

Lace, define new.
I'm far more active then most people here, so I've probably clocked a lot more time.
I'm not a new member, don't judge by join dates.
{And if you think I've even come close to trolling, you're seeing things}

Anyways, the Win32 error usually pops up whenever you've edited the EXE with both Sue's Workshop and Cave Editor, but it also happens when using other 3rd party editors.
I screwed up my mod once when using Resource Hacker. {Don't forget backups}
Cave Editor was the only thing you were using?

And I'm not sure the Read-Only bits are causing the problem, unless the newest new version I've yet to download does something completely different than the slightly older ones..
I had a copy of the original Cave Story and messed around with CE and didn't get a single problem, even though all the data files were on Read-Only....
Still, wouldn't running the program as Admin help, if that is the problem?

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:34 PM
Hoxtilicious
Pronouns: he/him
The problem of CE and the old version of SW is that they both edit the exe directly. That's the cause of all errors.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Lace, define new.
I'm far more active then most people here, so I've probably clocked a lot more time.
I'm not a new member, don't judge by join dates.
{And if you think I've even come close to trolling, you're seeing things}

Look at my join date and cry.
You're definitely new here, that hasn't to do with active.
You lose your status as a "new member" when senior members accept you as one of them.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:45 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheh

S. P. Gardebiter said:
Look at my join date and cry.
You're definitely new here, that hasn't to do with active.
You lose your status as a "new member" when senior members accept you as one of them.
Well, when I've got more posts than most of the senior members here, and real posts, not a bunch of spam, I'm pretty sure I'm not a new member anymore.
And you should go ask around first, I guess I'm not a new member by your terms, either.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:58 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Well, when I've got more posts than most of the senior members here, and real posts, not a bunch of spam, I'm pretty sure I'm not a new member anymore.
And you should go ask around first, I guess I'm not a new member by your terms, either.
Real Posts?
That is not a real post.
Like most of your posts.
They all end up in Off-Topic.
Go to hell.

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:22 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
What the hell? It seems like in the last month, this entire forum has started to become all jerks. I usually stay in Hacking/Modding most of the time, but the odd time I do visit the main Cave Story forum, half the posts I see are attacking someone else.

Why does everyone care so much about registration date or post count or "seniority"? This forum is supposed to be a place to have fun and talk about cave story, not flame people.

*goes back to hacking/modding*

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:30 PM
I came out here cuz nobody every posts there, but yes, this forum is quite filled with hate/flame/trolling. me too, but even if some other people deny it, they are contributing too and/or causing this mess.

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:21 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Heya David.
I've been hard at work trying to break CE, but so far have been unsucsessful. :(
However, while working on my mod, I've come up with a few features you could impliment.

1.) Item List in Script Editor

Type: Extension of exisitng feature

Description: I'm thinking that adding support for a list of common values pop-up (weapons, maps, music, SFX etc.) into the Script Editor would both save time when modding and allow for easier script-review.

Suggestion for implimenting: I'm sure that, apart from adding a few new external info files (CE_Items_Info.txt, CE_Music_Info.txt etc.), a modification fo the existing CE_TSC_Info.txt to include 'tags' for the TSC commands ie. <CMU would be tagged with an 'M', and when entered into the Script Editor, would bring up the music list. For the most part, the values that would be brought up would be the first (or 'X') value of the command.

2.) Spell-Checker and Text Box Parser

Type: Extension of exisitng feature

Description: Just a little tool to allow for easier spacing of <MSG, <MS2 and <MS3 within the text box, as well as a basic spell-check.

Suggestions for implimenting: A slight modification of the Syntax Checker would suffice for the spell check, but as for the parser, I'm drawing a blank. Wouldn't be too hard, I don't think.

3.) Intro Screen Editor

Type: New feature

Description: Maybe add the abillity to edit the intro screen (the one with New/Load etc.); especially the music and character displayed.

Suggestions for implimenting: I'm at a loss for this one.

4.) Icon Editor

Type: New Feature

Description: While, yes, you can easilly edit the icons with ResHacker, I think add the option to do this internally within CE would be an amazing extension.

Suggesttions for implimentation: Again, at a loss.

5.) Illustration Editor/Importer

Type: New Feature

Description: Add support for editing/importing new/replacement illustrations for use with <SIL

Suggestions for implimentation: A simple extract/edit/replace shouldn't be too hard to come up with...

6.) Custom Grid Sizes

Type: Modification of existing feature

Description: Maybe add support for a custom grid size, as not all NPC's fit into the pre-defined spaces (namely Drolls, Bosses etc.).

Suggesttions for implimention: Just add a "Custom..." option to the grid choices with a little dialogue for X and Y.

7.) Basic Script Snippets

Type: Extension of existing feature

Description: Maybe add support for a few basic scripts (doors, chests, teleports etc.) that can be added straight into a section.

Suggestions for implimentation: Again, once more, at a loss.

That aside, apart from the irritating start I got, I must say I am nearly converted totally to CE from SW (as I tend to be a fan of all-in-one packages). This editor is among the most complete I've seen so far (much better than Miza) and has many, many features I've come to love. Keep on trucking. :D

Ps. For those who didn't get the title, it's a play on the bokk "7 Habits of Highly Effective ___s", where ___ is a demographic ie. Teens, Parents, Police Officers...

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:24 PM
sadly, I always seem to break ce, no matter what I do.
make the interface prettier.

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:38 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Lace said:
sadly, I always seem to break ce, no matter what I do.
make the interface prettier.

Actually, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that Lace.
IMO, the interface is fine (apart from a couple details; namely the slider for NPC selection...).
I'm not one for a flashy interface if the program can't do shit (correctly).
I think that the interface, while yes, very minimalistic, suits it quite well, as there is no flashy icons to detract from functionality.

Asides, the flashier the interface, the more memory intsensive the program is (as a general rule); and I have very, very little memory to spare.

And what seems to be the breakage?

Back