Cave Story with a fourth ending

Jan 20, 2020 at 7:45 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It's loading the palette entries incorrectly?
*Winds the clocks back a year to get back in the zone of the conversation.*

I can't say for sure. If it were truly loading the pallet entries correctly, it makes sense that the puppy would be showing up incorrectly, because the PSP port had them configured in a way that should have made it show up wrong like it did in that screenshot. My main point of confusion is why this problem didn't pop up until someone ran the PSP port in an emulator.

May 14, 2020 at 8:39 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Greetings, it's been a long time since I played Cave Story with this mod and just couple days before I bought the Cave story+ on Steam and tried to install this mod on it, I used the Plusporter to apply this and been mostly successfully (could not use the image files because they were corrupted or something, all of them got most of the sprites just being black empty spaces), I reached the Sand zone and did not walk up to Curly and was able to destroy the tile on top however when I tried to jump into the secret path I couldn't, the path somehow isn't there it's just a solid block and I cannot damage or hut any possible 2nd tile.

(Even the first tile needed to hit from a specific angle to damage.)

I don't know if I made a big mistake in playing or installing but I really want to play this mod on CS+, any help would be appreciated.

May 15, 2020 at 3:39 AM
Based Member
Thanks for checking out this mod and also for using Plus Porter, even after all these years. What steps did you take to apply the port to your CS+ installation? This is what you should do:

To use Plus Porter, you first want to go to File -> Open CS+ Directory, and browse to your Cave Story+ installation. To apply a port that has already been made, go to "File" -> "Open port...", browse to the folder of the port you wish to open, and click "Open." After the port has been loaded, go to "File" -> "Apply port", and a window will open up listing all mods currently installed in that game of CS+, and the order in which they'll be listed in the challenge menu (with the one at the top appearing on the main menu). You are able to arrange the mods in whatever order you want the challenge menu to list them, and then click the "Apply port!" button to apply the port to your Cave Story+ installation. Exit out of plus porter, and you'll now be able to experience the mod in Cave Story+.

Much to my shame, I will have to admit that I lost a bit of steam right near the end of Plus Porter's development cycle. During one of the last releases, I unfortunately broke some stuff (but I don't think anything critical), and I didn't realize it for a couple of years, and by the time I found out, I didn't have much motivation to fix it and haven't been good about setting aside the time for it. I also never made a video tutorial like many people were asking for, so sorry for any trouble you've been experiencing.

May 16, 2020 at 2:18 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thank you for your help, for some reason when I first tried to "open port" on the 4th ending mod folder, it didn't work and just opened the folder in the browsing screen so I had to load every single file 1 by 1 except the image ones since they seemed corrupted , and when I arrived at the sand zone I could destroy the tile with attacking it in from a precise angle, I could not enter the secret path.

Now that I tried it again it did work with the "open port" way, and everything went smoothly.

I think I also found an exploit that lets you play the Labyrinth part AFTER the Boulder Chamber up to the Core Enterance. If you talk to Curly in the Boulder Chamber before going down to talk to Professor Booster, after talking to her if you exit the chamber instead of holding the left side of the boulder, you can continue the 4th Ending normally.

However after getting Booster 2.0, when I came back to the Labyrinth for the Whimsical Star and Arms Dealer, I found out that, even though Curly is not there, when you inspect the boulder, Curly's dialogue will resume from where it left off, and Balrog will appear right after for the Boss fight. (Which becomes comically easy since you can get Spur before this.) After the fight this part continues as it is in the original game up until the Core room and when I try to use the panel for the last shutter door, it just says ERROR. I don't know if this was intentional or not but I though it'd be better to share this.

Edit: Also After going back and playing the route normally from a save before the boulder chamber, The rabid Mimigas at the balcony that's supposed to dissapear have reappeared again.

Attachments

• 20200516063530_1.jpg
    20200516063530_1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200516063535_1.jpg
    20200516063535_1.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200516064045_1.jpg
    20200516064045_1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200516064628_1.jpg
    20200516064628_1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200516070136_1.jpg
    20200516070136_1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 4
May 16, 2020 at 6:27 PM
Based Member
Ah... Darn it. A very similar sequence break was reported years ago, which I never fixed in any freeware release, but I did fix when I released this mod for CS+, among other things. However, what you've done is sort of the inverse of that, which I unfortunately never accounted for. Very good find. Unfortunately, I kind of moved on past this project a while ago, so I probably won't make a release fixing that bug, but to quote myself from 8 years ago, I salute you for the bug report.

The rabid Mimigas returning to the balcony was intentional, however. When I originally made this mod for freeware CS, I made them absent in the fourth ending to support a fan theory that those were the Colons. However, some time after I made the final release for the freeware version, Pixel confirmed that this was not the case, so I changed this back to normal when porting this mod to CS+. Here's a list of all the changes that were made when porting this mod to CS+:
-Fixed the typo "he's not gonna to hurt us!" -Colon
-Changed all instances of "alright" to "all right" since this is improper
-Changed "it's precursor" to "its precursor" - lines spoken by Booster
-Put the enraged Mimigas back on the Balcony since Pixel confirmed that those aren't the Colons.
-Fixed the oversight that allowed the player to get the blade to level 3 when going for the fourth ending by killing the beetles outside Curly's house and respawning them.
-Added a skipflag so that the dialogue in the cutscene with Misery taking the core to the lab will go faster if you go through it again.
-Fixed the glitch where going back to the Mimiga Village right after teleporting to the Plantation would cause the camera to shift its focus away from Quote. (Thanks to Speed Lightning for reporting)
-Fixed the sequence break that could occur by going into Labyrinth M but then turning back and trying to heal Professor Booster (Thanks to Sue-Obsessed for reporting)

May 17, 2020 at 1:34 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well to be honest I was hoping that the bug would continue, but I got stuck at the Core Door, It was my favorite boss fight in the game so I was hoping to be able to play it, however there is NO way I'm going any other way that kills Toroko. But that also got me thinking, I never really looked at any other playthrough or walkthrough of this mod so what would happen if I were to save King and Toroko, but ignore Proffessor Booster so he would save himself, would that be just 3rd ending with Toroko and King being alive or would it break the game like the post you mention?

Also not gonna lie I was hoping that before the Last Cave, if we talked to King two or three times he would give us the blade, but I guess that's the part of the challange.

Still a simple yet great mod. 10/10 would carry Futuresight puppies again.

May 17, 2020 at 3:24 AM
Based Member
what would happen if I were to save King and Toroko, but ignore Proffessor Booster so he would save himself, would that be just 3rd ending with Toroko and King being alive or would it break the game like the post you mention?
You're the first person that's talked about that path. If you do that, then King and Toroko will simply not be there in jail because you were too late, and they won't ever be seen again. So that will lead you to the third ending. There used to be a glitch where if you did that, then the fourth ending dialogue in the jail would take place even though King and Toroko didn't appear there, but I found that bug myself and fixed it during beta testing. While there were a few tricky sequence breaks that slipped through testing, I tried my best to account for all of the different ways in which players could abort the path for the 4th ending part way through. I knew most players wouldn't try these things or even think about them, but it makes me happy to see people who played this mod and think about all of these different possibilities.

Also not gonna lie I was hoping that before the Last Cave, if we talked to King two or three times he would give us the blade, but I guess that's the part of the challange.
That's an interesting idea, I never thought of that. My main reservation about letting the player have the blade for any lengthy period of time in the path for the fourth ending was that it was tricky to prevent the blade from reaching level 3, and if King's soul appeared in that level 3 blade, that wouldn't have made sense with him still being alive.

Still a simple yet great mod. 10/10 would carry Futuresight puppies again.
Thanks! It really means a lot. It's especially interesting being one year out of college and getting feedback on something I made my freshman year of high school.

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 2:58 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
How do I get the 4th ending on the E shop version for the 3DS?

May 17, 2020 at 3:17 PM
"Huzzah!"
maybe they'll find out how to mod Cave Story for 3ds I dunno, but Serri is correct, impossible.

May 17, 2020 at 3:26 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
That's an interesting idea, I never thought of that. My main reservation about letting the player have the blade for any lengthy period of time in the path for the fourth ending was that it was tricky to prevent the blade from reaching level 3, and if King's soul appeared in that level 3 blade, that wouldn't have made sense with him still being alive.

Well it could always mean that, "Whenever you use the blade, a part of King would always be with you."

May 17, 2020 at 4:17 PM
Based Member
Well it could always mean that, "Whenever you use the blade, a part of King would always be with you."
Yeah, I guess that's something I could have done. Oh well.

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:49 PM
I know that this thread is getting to be old, and I seem to be the only one with this issue but how do I apply this mod to Cave Story?

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:04 PM
War criminal
I know that this thread is getting to be old, and I seem to be the only one with this issue but how do I apply this mod to Cave Story?
You don't. It's more of a romhack than the typical mods you see in modern games, and it's already put in the game, you can play it immediately after downloading and unzipping the folder.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:21 PM
Based Member
Depends on whether you're talking about the original freeware version of CS, or CS+. If you're playing the freeware version, then simply download the mod and open it up as you would a copy of Cave Story.

If you're talking about the CS+ port, then download Plus Porter and follow this procedure:

To use Plus Porter, you first want to go to File -> Open CS+ Directory, and browse to your Cave Story+ installation. To apply a port that has already been made, go to "File" -> "Open port...", browse to the folder of the port you wish to open, and click "Open." After the port has been loaded, go to "File" -> "Apply port", and a window will open up listing all mods currently installed in that game of CS+, and the order in which they'll be listed in the challenge menu (with the one at the top appearing on the main menu). You are able to arrange the mods in whatever order you want the challenge menu to list them, and then click the "Apply port!" button to apply the port to your Cave Story+ installation. Exit out of plus porter, and you'll now be able to experience the mod in Cave Story+.

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:50 PM
Depends on whether you're talking about the original freeware version of CS, or CS+. If you're playing the freeware version, then simply download the mod and open it up as you would a copy of Cave Story.
So in the download there was no Doukutsu.exe, Doconfig.exe, etc. attached. Do I add my own missing files to the folder?

Jul 13, 2020 at 10:00 PM
War criminal
So in the download there was no Doukutsu.exe, Doconfig.exe, etc. attached. Do I add my own missing files to the folder?
Looking in the copy I have with me, and in a newly downloaded copy...
p373845-0-okwxki.png
p373845-1-5u31xu.png

The Doukutsu and DoConfig files are in there. Are you SURE you're downloading the right version?

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:20 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
There's a small chance your antivirus is deleting them before/as they are getting extracted. There should be a way you can check that.

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:39 PM
There's a small chance your antivirus is deleting them before/as they are getting extracted. There should be a way you can check that.

That seems likely!! I’ll check this when I have access to my computer. Thanks!

Jan 29, 2021 at 4:51 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm probably too late, but I have 0 idea how to install this