Cave Story with a fourth ending

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You need to edit the game's map list, which is a file seperate from the executable, but still moddable.

I don't know if there's a program to automatically import/export the map list for CS+, but if there was I'm betting it would be Booster's Lab.

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I registered an account just to tell you how much your mod meant to me, Hayden.

It would have been one thing for you to have made a passable mod that gave you a way to save King and Toroko. That would have been pretty satisfying in and of itself. But... just, the love, the effort, the TALENT that went into the creation of this mod simply defies all words. To have gone the extra mile and think "How would that one single event affect all of the subsequent parts of the story?" To write the new dialogue in the voice of the characters and the original translation. Seeing characters interact with one another that we haven't seen do so before! The simple details like the Blade de-leveling into a normal sword when you use it, because it does not contain Kings spirit in this version...

I could really go on and on about how much this mod means to me. I really could. Unless the unlikely event happens and Pixel creates a true sequel to Cave Story, I would seriously like to consider the mod canon. After all, Pixel himself once said in an interview that his one regret was not allowing a way to save King and Toroko. To me, I feel as though this is following closely in line with that.

I have to admit, I'm not fully supportive of the year-long prank you pulled with this mod (this is coming from someone that found out about it AFTER you explained it was a prank, so it's just an observation as an outsider), but I can see that you're a bit of a prankster at heart, and I suppose I can respect that.

If there is any way I can offer help on future endeavors, even if it's just encouragement, I would be more than happy to do so.

I feel like your mod did something very important. I feel like it COMPLETED Cave Story. Nevermind Wind Fortress or Curly's Story from the Nicalis releases. THIS is what completes the story. Given the original genius behind the work, that is high praise. I hope he one day sees this mod and it makes him smile.

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
oh look it's that person whose stream I gatecrashed the other day
small world

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh wow. Yeah, was great seeing you! Yeah, I was indeed streaming stuff yesterday and a couple of times before that. Yesterday was a very special one because - surprise, surprise - I played through this mod for everyone as a special treat. I was actually pretty proud of getting through most of it (exception being the absolute beginning, which I didn't want people to have to sit through) in a sitting, heh. ^^;

But yeah, feel free to check out my streams anytime. I tend to alternate between artwork (I do digital art and things) and playing video games, and I'm always happy to have people hang out and enjoy. =)

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Based Member
Thanks! It really means a lot hearing such a long and praise-filled review on this mod! I meant to respond to your PM on Youtube, but didn't spend much time on the computer this weekend because I was at my grandparents' house. I guess when I have the dev thread for my next mod going, you can see what you might want to help with there, but until then I don't really have anything I want help with. You praise sure does help though!

So you did a live stream of my mod? I'd love to watch it. I tried searching your username and my mod's title and various combinations thereof, but couldn't find it. Could you give me a link?

Sep 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It's absolutely my pleasure. Here is the link to the video:

http://www.justin.tv/ryusuta/c/2940697

(If you hear me saying random things or pausing to look at something, it's just interaction with the stream chat. They can be a silly bunch, and this was pretty casual overall. ^^; )

I HIGHLY recommend skipping to about 9:15 to 9:30 since it was live and there were also some audio issues. I apologize in advance that my microphone isn't great. I will be getting a better one soon and will probably burn this one or something. XD

I also gave a video link, credit, and a download link for the mod on my DA journal, at ryusuta.deviantart.com. Anyway, I have a doctor's appointment in a couple of hours, so I'll check back in in awhile. I hope I did well for you.

(Edit: Also, I saw you did a 2:45 Sacred Grounds run. Don't expect that level of expertise on my playthrough of it! ^^; )

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Based Member
I really enjoyed watching it, thanks for spreading the word about my mod! Noxid, you joined watching this stream? At what point? If Ryusuta made acknowledgement of you when you joined, then apparently I missed it.

Sep 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I didn't say much, to be respectful of the stream and its viewers
although I did paste the item text of the puppy they forgot to look at

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:14 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
HaydenStudios said:
I really enjoyed watching it, thanks for spreading the word about my mod! Noxid, you joined watching this stream? At what point? If Ryusuta made acknowledgement of you when you joined, then apparently I missed it.

Noxid said:
I didn't say much, to be respectful of the stream and its viewers
although I did paste the item text of the puppy they forgot to look at
Yeah, he mentioned that in chat since I had forgotten to read one of the puppy descriptions. It was a great pleasure to have you on my stream, Noxid. Feel free to check it out again anytime, or say hi to me on my DeviantArt thingy.

I'm really glad that you enjoyed my playthrough of your mod! I really feel like this mod has made a lot of people very happy. It felt RIGHT to me. And if I was able to even inform a few people about something like this, it's a pleasure for me to do so.

I noticed on the Cave Story 2 prank topic you'd mentioned that you didn't know how to approach trying an actual sequel mod from a storyline standpoint. I might have some observations to throw your way if you'd like. Either way, keep up the great work.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Based Member
Ryusuta said:
I noticed on the Cave Story 2 prank topic you'd mentioned that you didn't know how to approach trying an actual sequel mod from a storyline standpoint. I might have some observations to throw your way if you'd like. Either way, keep up the great work.
Well, yes, if you're talking the good ending. Although I've had the idea in my head for over a year-and-a-half now of how a sequel to the normal ending would play out that I'd really like to depict on the screen. I feel that the normal ending is much more open for a sequel than any of the others. So if I finish Curly Brace's Story Revived and am still modding after that, then I'll probably be making a normal ending sequel. Thanks for the offer though.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
HaydenStudios said:
Well, yes, if you're talking the good ending. Although I've had the idea in my head for over a year-and-a-half now of how a sequel to the normal ending would play out that I'd really like to depict on the screen. I feel that the normal ending is much more open for a sequel than any of the others. So if I finish Curly Brace's Story Revived and am still modding after that, then I'll probably be making a normal ending sequel. Thanks for the offer though.
No, no. Nothing like that! I was just thinking out loud. I've been in the creative process for a great many things so I know good and well not to step on your toes or offer unsolicited suggestions. I think it was more along the lines of conversation than anything else. Like... kind of wondering about certain events from the game that weren't fully explained, and whether or not there are possibilities based on that from a more hypothetical standpoint.

I would never try to walk in on your projects because I know this sort of thing is done better when it's NOT done by committee. But it is fun to discuss. =)

By the by, Hayden. This forum doesn't seem to have private messaging. is there any way I could send you any kind of private notes or anything?

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Based Member
You have to have been a member for 10 days before you can use the personal messenger. I believe some IP Board update accidentally lifted this requirement around August last year, but judging by your difficulties accessing it, I'd guess the subsequent updates since then have re-installed it.

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well, that's okay. Basically, I was just gonna ask (and asked in Youtube as well). I read through some of the previous pages, and there was talk about people experimentally trying to apply this mod on Cave Story+ and having it work until they reached a certain map that isn't in the game files. Is there a way to play this mod on Cave Story+ all the way through yet, or might there be in the future?

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ok. I'm new to this site, but I have known Cave story for a looooong time.

Now on to the nooby question. How do I 'climb' back up to the top of Labyrinth B (Where Dr. Booster fell)?

Now on to the nooby question. How do I 'climb' back up to the top of Labyrinth B (Where Dr. Booster fell)?

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
hevanavix said:

After reviving him, talk to him a few times and he'll let you borrow his Booster 0.8. You can use it to fly up to Curly Brace.

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:19 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
amazing mod! I love it
amazing mod! I love it
amazing mod! I love it.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I Applied the mod, but before i did so, I had already got to the point where im at the save point before 1st time in sand zone ie in arthur's house. When I go through to sand zone for the first time, I try to shoot the block 1 square left of the teleporter and it doesn't break.

Is there a trick to it or...:

1. Must not be a steam version of the game (Cave Story+)?
2. Must start fresh game after copying over contents of mod in steamApps>Common>Cave Story+ folder?
3. in the zip, there is an folder called Saves, however if your playing steam version there isn't a Saves folder already made in the Cave Story+ folder?

If so, I can't get the 4th ending....?
*I would flip the table*

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:18 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
You can't use Cave Story+. In fact, you can't use it for pretty much any of the mods on this forum.