Cave Story with a fourth ending

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey HaydenStudios
WELL FREAKING DONE! This mod is excellent!
I love it.
However, I made a FanFiction about it... I mentioned that the 4th ending was a mod, made by you.
I hope this doesn't break copy write or anything...
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9544467/1/The-4th-Ending

Please tell me what you think. If you highly disaprove of this story, I'll take it down...

Keep making the great mods!
AscendingAnthem

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hey, thanks! I'm honored that you liked my mod so much that you're making a novelized adaptation of it of sorts. There is room for improvement on how colorfully some things were phrased, as well as whether you're using you're or your, but I guess since this was an adaptation of my own work, it was nearly impossible for me not to enjoy reading it. I approve! And I look forward to the next part.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:09 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
HaydenStudios said:
Hey, thanks! I'm honored that you liked my mod so much that you're making a novelized adaptation of it of sorts. There is room for improvement on how colorfully some things were phrased, as well as whether you're using you're or your, but I guess since this was an adaptation of my own work, it was nearly impossible for me not to enjoy reading it. I approve! And I look forward to the next part.
D'awwwww :D Thanks! BTW: I tried to make it as close to your mod as possible, so any your/you're mistakes are your own, as I used the actual text that was on the screen...
(i'm not blaming you!!)
The next part should be up soon, just keep checking the link above, or i'll post on this forum when I make a new one.

Until then...
CYA

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:53 AM
Based Member
AscendingAnthem said:
I tried to make it as close to your mod as possible, so any your/you're mistakes are your own, as I used the actual text that was on the screen...
(i'm not blaming you!!)
Your fanfiction has the colons saying "Your not going to hurt us?" and "Your on our side?". I just checked the dialogue of my mod in Cave editor, and in both v0.9 (the very first version) and v1.34 (the final version), they said "You're not going to hurt us?" and "You're on our side?", so I don't see how that could have been my mistake. Although I will admit that the there was a grammatical error I made in the Colons' dialogue that slipped into the final version: "He isn't gonna to hurt us!", but you appear to have fixed that. Also, "It looks like we have a VISITOR! I know what it is your looking for!", "Your looking for red flowers?", and "Where do you think your going?" were bits of dialogue in the original Cave Story that I didn't write that had it properly spelled as you're.

Everyone's a critic. Despite my nit-pickings, I still appreciate what you've done.

AscendingAnthem said:
The next part should be up soon, just keep checking the link above, or i'll post on this forum when I make a new one.

Until then...
CYA
Cool, looking forward to it!

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
=Executing Chat Something=

Hax: lets see what happens if i put this mod in cave story + :3
*tinkers with it*
Hax:Wait wheres boosters glasses 0.0

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Based Member
Aug 29, 2013 at 8:23 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
HaydenStudios said:
Thank you! A couple of weeks into the production of this mod, I found out about Cave Story+. Apparently, it had an added fourth ending. I have Cave Story+, but haven't found its fourth ending yet. But I decided to go ahead and finish this mod anyway. But I've still yet to fix the problems mentioned in the first post.
The added fourth ending is the Mimiga Mask alternate credits one.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Based Member
I'm sorry to break it to you, but you're a year and three quarters late with that information. There's even a link to that thread on the bottom of the page from which you got that quote.

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:46 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This is a great mod and am really enjoying it so far! :) I just got one problem though. After you beat the boss located in the Labyrinth, how do I get myself back up to tell Curly there's another way out?

I've already got the cure-all to professor booster, but after I give it to him I can't jump out of that area.

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
X-Calibar said:
It doesn't seem plausible to be that the Core/Undead Core would be moved from the Core Base or experimented on; and therefore part of the boss fight.

[/spoiler]
I think I've figured it out! The main problem I have had with this mod (up to this point) was the fact that the Doctor and Misery moved the Core to the Black Space, even though that's where Quote was eventually headed.

But, why would there be an army of Killer Robots in the Labyrinth that were completely obliterated by the Core, but you and Curly manage to nearly destroy it? A lot of heart? Maybe, but I think that a better explanation is that the Core has been "aging" over hundreds of years, and has gotten weaker. That would explain why the Doctor would want to work on it!

But wait, there's more! In the Bad Ending, it mentions that the Doctor used the floating island as a base. Wouldn't that be easier if you could move your base anywhere? I think that the Doctor would be inclined to alter the Core, so he can make the island travel to wherever he wants, using the power of the core!

I don't think that you could go into all that detail in the mod, but here's some food for thought!

[/spoiler]

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Based Member
Interesting theory. Although it should be noted that the post you quoted was made before I added the cutscene where Misery and the Doctor teleport the Core to the Black Space. The lack thereof led to a few people raising the same concern, which made me decide to add it. Since then, people have not raised much concern of any plotholes, so I don't see much of a reason to make changes anymore.

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:37 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hayden, I love your work so much. It's a pride to even be posting in the topic. I'm so glad I could make an account so I could tell you that!

The spelling errors were pretty much the only problem I have with this mod.

And for some reason the mod works fine on Cave Story Plus, right up to the scene in the warehouse in the Sand Zone. It just crashes when I enter the warehouse with the dog. Any ideas?

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:53 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
The error with playing it in + is because the game is pointed to a map that doesn't exist in the plus directory. (The mod adds two new maps... If I recall correctly.)

You would have to edit the exe to make it work fully.

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:59 AM
Based Member
Rex The Fox said:
Hayden, I love your work so much. It's a pride to even be posting in the topic. I'm so glad I could make an account so I could tell you that!
Thanks!

Rex The Fox said:
The spelling errors were pretty much the only problem I have with this mod.
Darn, there were still some in there even after all the proofreading? About where? I probably won't fix any since the final version is out, but it still wouldn't hurt to know.

Rex The Fox said:
And for some reason the mod works fine on Cave Story Plus, right up to the scene in the warehouse in the Sand Zone. It just crashes when I enter the warehouse with the dog. Any ideas?
That happened to me as well. The reason this happens is because the map CS+ is trying to load doesn't exist. In order to make the puppy show up properly, one of the NPC tilesets has to be changed. In order to preserve the other three endings in this mod, I had to make a duplicate of the Sand Zone Storehouse that had this changed NPC tileset. So the alternate cutscene takes place in a different room from the Toroko+ fight, which CS+ doesn't recognize.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Yeah actually Dunc, EnlightenedOne is right about why it crashes. It's looking for a map that doesn't exist, as stated above.

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:35 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Oh no I never said he was wrong about /why/ it was crashing, but rather that his solution (editing the exe) isn't. As I said, they probably installed it incorrectly as a mod.

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:49 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I installed it correctly, I'm sure. I moved all of the maps, items, pics, all that junk into the folder, added the mod.txt all that.

Like I said, it works properly up to that point. You can break through the block, beat Curly to her house, and do everything else fine up to there.

And Hayden, the only major one I noticed was by The Colons, the rest are 'they're' spelled as 'there' type issues.

"He's not gonna to hurt us!"