Cave Story ~ The Lost Mage and Pirate

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:58 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
*Nods* I religiously read cutscreens the first time, but after that, I just want to get back to whatever killed me and have another go at it. The more delays between respawn point and last death point, the more tedious it is. I've just hit the first boss fight, and now I'm grating over the cutscreen in prelude to it. Once is enough, twice is tiresome... um... third time starts to feel like active punishment and a deliberate test of patience in the face of obnoxiousness, especially when trying to deflect his attacks with a powered down weapon.

... Much as it amuses me to call Balrog a toaster.

Edit: Finally beat him! Funny, this time, his shots didn't spread vertically nearly as often and many of them actually ground themselves out on the floor.

The game actually wouldn't be nearly as difficult if it weren't for having my finger purposes switched around. After decades of using my left hand for direction pads and right fingers for pushing buttons, using them in the opposite configuration is pretty crippling. Usually, I customize the controls so I can use my number pad instead of the typical z/x variety, but Cave Story doesn't allow for that customization. I'd love it if someone could hack the configuration module to allow more choices in keypad setup.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:01 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I've played through Your mod several times, I didn't really find the dialouge to go on that long, except for Marx. But that was only when he was tellig Lowell all the stuff we already knew, so that was to be expected.

Overall: really good mod! I think giving khan no weapon is a great idea, and I think he shouldn't get one at all, it's more fun that way:D

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:16 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Back to work

Samael said:
*Nods* I religiously read cutscreens the first time, but after that, I just want to get back to whatever killed me and have another go at it. The more delays between respawn point and last death point, the more tedious it is. I've just hit the first boss fight, and now I'm grating over the cutscreen in prelude to it. Once is enough, twice is tiresome... um... third time starts to feel like active punishment and a deliberate test of patience in the face of obnoxiousness, especially when trying to deflect his attacks with a powered down weapon.

... Much as it amuses me to call Balrog a toaster.
Wait, what, the Balrog cutscene is repeating for you!?
Now I know something's wrong, I specifically remember sticking in skipflags for that fight...! {That stuff gets annoying even for me, after awhile}
I already added a bunch of skipflags before, but I'll go over every single cutscene again, this time
cultr1 said:
I've played through our mod several times,
Forgot a "Y"? :(
cultr1 said:
Overall: really good mod! I think giving khan no weapon is a great idea, and I think he shouldn't get one at all, it's more fun that way:D
Thanks!
But I don't think Khan would like me doing that to his character, :D;

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:10 PM
Been here way too long...
Haha, that would be great.
Why haven't you lured Khan onto the forums yet btw?

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:22 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
The Lost Pirate

Lace said:
Haha, that would be great.
Why haven't you lured Khan onto the forums yet btw?
It's not from lack of trying, mind you. :(
I've told him about here several times, but besides generally being busy and usually not showing up for days in a row, he's apparently just not interested in joining...

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:57 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Re: The Lost Pirate

It's good to hear I wasn't the only one annoyed by the pauses.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:08 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
ARGH. Good heavens! Low health, and not many save points? That should be bad enough, but no, for each death I'm not only punished by a repeat of the area I just went through, but I also have to watch (almost) every stinking cutscene too! **Is seriously tired of slow moving lifts**[/rant]

That's beside the point though, great hack so far. **Hasn't even turned on the generator** Only thing I'd really change, is not having delays in the dialogue. Sure it's realistic, and it adds to the awkwardness of various situations, but I'm about to break the 'Z' button offa mah keyboard trying to speed the text up(I read fast). 0_o

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:05 PM
inb4 modnothack
eh nvm. I'm the only person who'd ever say that.

All you need are skipflags. I like the pauses. Dramatic effect.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:42 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
so i have to ask when will the next release be due? any time + or - a month?

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:08 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
justineo14 said:

I believe this link will explain all you need to know:
enlightenment!
go ahead, take a peek, I'll wait.

upon reviewing this list, you'll notice most of the mods are incomplete. They follow this pattern:

exited about mod making->practice modding->make a small mod->make part of a bigger mod->release the beta->polish the beta->lots of work->lots of releases->full mod in beta->polish full mod->yay finished mod!

Each step is a stopping point for someone, so very few mods get finished. Even if they do get finished, it takes lots of time. It took pixel 5 years to make cavestory, and he didn't have as many distractions as us forum-goers.

In conclusion:
mods take much time and usually not much planning.

On that note, welcome to the forums!:rolleyes:

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:20 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
cultr1 said:
exited about mod making->practice modding->make a small mod->make part of a bigger mod->release the beta->polish the beta->lots of work->lots of releases->full mod in beta->polish full mod->yay finished mod!

Each step is a stopping point for someone, so very few mods get finished. Even if they do get finished, it takes lots of time. It took pixel 5 years to make cavestory, and he didn't have as many distractions as us forum-goers.

Pixel had much more work than we did though, he had to code his engine from scratch, draw EVERYTHING, compose EVERYTHING, make all the sounds, write the story, make the levels, and... well you see where I'm going with this. He had a much bigger task than your average modder.

Personally, I'm kinda in the "lots of work->lots of releases" stage, but it takes a lot of work to get a good mod done. I don't know how much Void's got done on his, but when it comes time for another release, he'll let us know.

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:26 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
So much activity..

aztectornado said:
ARGH. Good heavens! Low health, and not many save points? That should be bad enough, but no, for each death I'm not only punished by a repeat of the area I just went through, but I also have to watch (almost) every stinking cutscene too! **Is seriously tired of slow moving lifts**[/rant]
Lace said:
All you need are skipflags. I like the pauses. Dramatic effect.
From playing through it again, I've noticed most, if not all, of the skipflags are already in place...
justineo14 said:
The little update for the first part should be done sometime soon, no estimation because I've got tons of schoolwork that just keeps popping up, among other things and projects...
Most of the stuff is already done, there's mostly just a lot of updates to graphics being applied now, but since I believe I had to shuffle all of the maps since the last release, I've added a special global skipflag for those replaying it, to allow them to skip every cutscene from the first time watching them, or I'll just throw in a profile.dat near that's near the end... {Since everyone's will probably lead to a blank map, now}
As for the second release, that may take much longer, and the stuff I'm planning on doing will involve Assembly work, which will probably take even longer...

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:12 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
cultr1 said:
I believe this link will explain all you need to know:
enlightenment!
go ahead, take a peek, I'll wait.

upon reviewing this list, you'll notice most of the mods are incomplete. They follow this pattern:

In conclusion:
mods take much time and usually not much planning.

On that note, welcome to the forums!:rolleyes:

bows to the enlightened one! ... thanks XD

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:32 PM
Pirate Member
Maybe you should release a "shortened dialogue" or "removed pauses" version.

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:54 PM
Apr 2, 2010 at 6:05 PM
Pirate Member
Well guess I'll have to satisfy myself with Lowel commenting every rock he sees.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:18 PM
It's the style of the mod. Most, if not all, of the dialog is well written and if you don't like it, DON'T PLAY THE GAME.

srsly.

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:06 PM
Pirate Member
my apologies, youre right.

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:12 PM
'S cool, not your fault.
I was a bit grumpy when i said that too, because of Shining's random banning of DB.