Cave Story Remix Project 2

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:52 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Yeah, so I'm indefinitely postponing the accomp-only version of Soldier's Prayer for dunc to sing over, partly due to laziness, and partly due to the fact that I don't like to waste a whole CD for just recording one thing.

In other news, the switch to IPBoard seems to have borked all our avatars (except mine and gir's, which use non-cavestory.org URLs). I better go fix that now.

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:19 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
If all the revamping is done, shall I upload the Bonus album and song edits to youtube? If you want me to, I was thinking of uploading all the updated versions of the original product after all the bonus songs, but part of the bonus album (since they were both done in the anniversary spirit), or I could upload them separately and link to the update in the original upload. Or would you prefer to have it, as it were, a "bonus" for people that visit the site?

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:27 PM
graters gonna grate
That sounds good. Personally, I don't really care much how it's organized, so whatever you like. So you know, the revamping is not quite done, I believe Dunc is still planning to attempt a voice-over of Soldier's Prayer, as soon as I upload the accompaniment-only version, which will probably happen in about two weeks.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:51 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Okay, then. I'll wait a couple weeks for Soldier's Prayer to start uploading the bonus album

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:00 PM
graters gonna grate
Accompaniment only Soldier's Prayer:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yy292o3775ou7vn

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:16 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
My god I know I must seem like a huge lazy-ass procrastinator who never gets anything done by now.
(Which I am, but that's beside the point.)
Well, I can't do the voiceover for Soldier's Prayer any more, due to my dad breaking the only good mic in my house, so I have nothing to record with, along with my dad refusing to allow me to "reveal anything about me over the internet", which apparently includes singing and uploading that publicly.
Go ahead and upload the stuff, then...
Sorry guys, I really didn't want to let you down.

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM
graters gonna grate
Alright, no worries. I'll see if I can get one of the singers I'm accompanying to do it.

May 13, 2012 at 7:41 AM
He who lurks beneath the posts.
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Is this thread basically just a place to post remixes now, or are you guys; A. Adding music to the project. B. Doing a new one.

(also I though I signed up here after Wedge did...)

xD peace xD

May 13, 2012 at 7:20 PM
graters gonna grate
I don't think we are doing either A or B. Currently, the only plan I have for the project is maybe making some improvements to my remixes (most notably getting an actual vocalist to sing Soldier's Prayer). And if other people want to do the same, that's cool. So yeah, go ahead and post a remix here if you want.

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:35 AM
"Huzzah!"
Ok, been a LOOOOONG time guys, but here's the deal:

I just revisted the csrp2 website and downloaded/listened to all the tracks again. The quality range is pretty vast, meaning that some of the tracks are really professional, while others have clipping issues or are mixed rather oddly. I for one am not super happy with my Access remix, and I didn't really do Jethawk95's collab (the one I named "Electric Distortion") justice, as I wasn't able to pull off my ideas properly and so I ended up butchering the entire thing pretty badly. I say this because the guitar lacks precision and clarity and the drums don't have much punch either; it's all pretty bad, especially the EQ issues that litter the entire track.

Only problem is that I can't find the project files, so I don't think I can update, and even if I did find them or make a revision of them one way or another, I have no way of updating the links on the website.

Anyway, how many remixers are still around on these forums anyway? Is anyone thinking of adding tracks for a second bonus disc?? Anyone interested in starting a new remix project (for which we could start a new thread) or is it unnecessary to begin a whole new remix project?

I'm actually not very interested in doing remixes for the sake of remixing only. But I am working on a little something that might require some new remixes, as all the current remixes do not really work for it (they need to loop and maybe have nice reverb effects in order to fit properly with my project). I'm planning on creating some remixed music that is loopable, so I thought, while I was at it, I might as well add it to csrp2 or something. So yeah, that's why I'm back out of nowhere and wondering if any remixers are still hanging around.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:09 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I'm still here I guess. I'll probably always be here.

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:17 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I've kind of wanted to remix some CS songs for a long time. The thing is, I have no idea how to do it. Another remix project would be so cool, since there are lots of songs that don't have remixes that do them justice. Like Living Waterway. It has one remix with it in it, and that remix is The Journey Goes On, so you hardly even notice it. If there were a third remix project I would likely try my best to create a remix for it, even if it were only decent.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:18 AM
"Huzzah!"
GIRakaCHEEZER, good to see you're still around.

And hello there Dunc2403. So, you'd like to do a remix? Have you ever used a music creation tool of any kind? I started out with general midi tracking years and years ago, but my second step in making music was Open Mod-plug Tracker, better known as "Open MPT". It pretty much allows you to load in sound samples (i.e. a drum hit sounds, a bass note that you can make loop to be held as long as needed, random sound effects to make the song more interesting, etc), and then you "track" them, simply meaning that you can map out notes to make music using sound samples you've loaded in. It's probably the most simple way to get started making good quality music, provided you have good sound samples, or if you can find them. Some people just go to modarchive.org, find a song or two that they like drums/instruments of and open them up and save the sounds to be loaded in their own mod. Open MPT can easily export your music into a wav. If you go this route, I can convert the wav into mp3 if you wish, or you can download Audacity and get an mp3 codec for it (but it's a slight hassle).

I've since moved on from Open MPT to using a real professional program called Sonar X1, but it's not free by any means. Open MPT is what I consider to be the perfect free tool for making video game music. The only real catch is finding good sound samples for free. So I'd start with Open MPT if I were you. It'd be awesome for Cave Story remixes. In fact, I might just give a remix a shot using MPT and see what happens.

*leaves for a bit to check something out* .....

Ok, so, I went and checked something out (because I totally didn't just say that). I found that there are .xm files of every original Cave Story song (+ a few wii ones) here: http://www.cavestory...loads_music.php
Download any desired songs and get Open MPT here: http://openmpt.org/download
Open MPT supports .xm files, as well as .it, .s3m, .mod, and some others. This means that you can open up the songs, change arrangements and even load in your own samples to replace the original ones. In short, it's the easiest way to make a good sounding remix without a ton of work, and it's a great way to check out the song structure, so it's even a nice thing if you're going to make a remix entirely from scratch, even if you're using a different music creation tool.

Oh, kinda off topic, but I literally just found this about an hour ago: http://foxdragonstud...Cave_Story.html
This guy remixed most (or all?) of the Cave Story tracks, and I'd say half of them are very good. He did a pretty good remix of Living Waterway, IMO. But, while I find roughly half of his music to be good, I find the other half of his stuff to be kind of odd and I don't enjoy listening to it at all.

Anyway, I think I'm going to try a remix with MPT, but I'm currently modeling some 3D stuff and I might try to finish my stuff before I do a remix. Or I might get frustrated and switch over to the remix for a change of pace, ha ha.

So.. anyone else around? rtnario? JetHawk95? Wedge of Cheese? Anyone up for bonus round 2?

Edit:
I guess I would've known about the foxdragonstudios recomposed tracks if I had looked further down on cavestory.org's music page. :chin:

EDIT AGAIN:
Check this out: http://www.2shared.c...ess_REverb.html
It's kind of a test (I've never used 2shared before). It's basically the Wind Fortress song with reverb and more realistic drums, plus some very minor tweaks. I just wanted to show how easy it is to make something quick using Open MPT (especially if you have the original .xm file like I did). I wasn't keeping track of time but I'm sure this took me less than 15 minutes (including conversion and mixing), once I found the samples I wanted. Granted, it certainly isn't perfect, and I wouldn't consider it a remix; if anything, it's an enhancement to the original (it would've come out mixed better if I had noticed my sampling rate for real-time playback was low, so it sounded vastly different when exported to wav). But it's actually close to the kind of thing I'm wanting for my project. I guess I'm kind of wanting to do more of a enhancement to some tracks rather than some heavy remixing where the source is only half the song or something. So I don't know if that kind of thing would exactly work as a secondary bonus addition to the csrp2.

(Holy crapoli, that's a lot of words)

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:30 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
While I feel like an ass disregarding the bulk of your post, I wanted to say thanks for finding/digging up that remix compilation. It kicks ass.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:29 AM
rtnario and jethawk are both gone, afaik. Cheese is still around, but I don't know how busy he is.

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:44 AM
"Huzzah!"
You're welcome, 43501.

Hmm, sad to hear that, Lace. Perhaps I'll just release whatever songs I end up remixing as something totally seperate from the CSRP2 then. After all, it has been quite a long time, so it's a bit strange to add additional tracks to it.

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:53 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Yeah, I agree that CSRP2 is pretty much finished. However, maybe there could be a CSRP3...? The problem with a CSRP3 is that it likely wouldn't have as much of an impact if we simply rallied up the remixers from the CSRP2 and perhaps a couple new faces. If there were a CSRP3, it'd have to be special in some way. Maybe if we didn't simply get the remixers from the CSRP2, but also some of the remixers from the original CSRP?
Actually, the more I think about this, the more I think that this is a good idea. Gather together all the remixers we can from the previous remix projects, and make another remix project. Does anyone else like this idea? I've got a couple other ideas for this potential CSRP3, but I'll wait to see if anyone else wants to hear them. If there's enough interest, someone should make another thread. Well?

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:54 PM
"Huzzah!"
I'm game for a CSRP3, only I won't be able to get involved as much as I did in CSRP2, with keeping all the songs organized and such. I should be able to do a few remixes though.

PROBLEMS AND THINGS TO CONSIDER:

1) I'm not sure we'd be able to get anyone from the original CSRP to participate. For one thing, does anyone know who they are or how to contact them? Also, I expect many, if not all of them, have moved on to more important things, or life has gotten busier for them, as that's usually how life goes.

2) I think that it would be a good idea for whoever starts the CSRP3 thread to already have a remix of their own to kick things off, and it needs to be high quality. That way the project actually shows that it's worth being a part of. If we put up some crappy track or no track at all, I have doubts if a CSRP3 would get anywhere.

3) CSRP3 would need to have people that know music production that would be able to help with quality control, to give advice for revisions of songs and such. I could help a little in this area. I'm no expert, but I do have some experience in music production (recording/mixing/mastering).

4) If we do CSRP3, we should focus on remixing some beta tracks or some of the unused tracks. Maybe even some remixes based off of the Cave Story 3D OST, rather than the PC version OST.

5) Thinking on point 4.. is there any reason to remix any more stuff? Are there any songs that haven't been done justice yet? The Cave Story 3D soundtrack really came out with some awesome music. Most every track has already been remixed many times over.

Btw, I'm thinking I might try a sort of dubstep version of a track, since I haven't seen that yet. But I'll probably only do this if CSRP3 actually happens and gets off the ground. Otherwise I'm pretty much only going to do some remixes that are just rearranged and enhanced versions of the original tracks, and I'm not expecting the tracks to be "different" enough to be considered my own thing; my remixes wouldn't be what you'd expect in a remix project, since I don't plan to stray from the source a whole lot.

Oh, I might do a chip-style remix though. Those are pretty fun.

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:22 PM
graters gonna grate
Oh crap I totally missed this.

I'm actually working on revamping The Journey Goes On, both in terms of content and in terms of formatting of the sheet music. And I know some of my remixes have a bit of clipping. I think I can fix that by, rather than just making it loud and clipping, or by using Audacity's limiter, instead using FLStudio's limiter, which I think is quite a bit better than the free one in Audacity.

If the number of new remixes is relatively small, I would favor updating CSRP2 over creating CSRP3. Also, the current bonus album is fairly small, so maybe adding to it would be preferable to adding another bonus.

Like I said, I'm guessing some of the ones with quality issues are mine, and I think I can fix that. Do you remember offhand which others, if any, had quality issues (I'm too lazy/busy to go check for myself).

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:59 PM
"Huzzah!"
:greydroll: My goodness yes, FL Studio's limiter is loads better than Audacity's.

Actually, most of the tracks with clipping are GIR's. Which is sad, because they are otherwise very awesome tracks. I remembered that The Journey Goes On needed work (don't remember what) but I can't recall clipping issues with any of your tracks. However, I haven't listened to the CSRP2 remixes too much recently, so I can't really remember which tracks you did anyway. I'd check, but I'm also lazy.. well, more like drained of energy. :muscledoc: