Cave Story Officially RELEASED for WiiWare

Aug 16, 2009 at 6:06 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I will pounce from the shadows when you least expect it.

Maybe you're not whyme.
Anyway, as for Cave Story, it's probably going to come out in the fall now. These guys are delaying as much as Brawl.

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:39 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Linknight said:
Ill be honest.
I hate this.

Sprites suck
Names suck
Quote and Curly are fat.

There is only 1 good thing that may come out of this.
Quote for the wii.
Wii = nintendo
Nintendo = Smash bros
Smash bros = Quote

I'd win tournaments at that rate, no joke.
I'd go there dressed up as the fucker, and never say more then 2 words.
Linknight said:
Actually I hate all the sprites.
Toroko looks retarded
King looks like Knuckles
Balrog looks like he ate a sour factory
I don't feel like continuing.
The music sucks, but the argument of "you can change it back" comes into play.
Then again if I could change the entire game back to original sprites I'd still be bitching about the new ones. So yeah the music sucks.

Also the entire fact that you have to pay for a free game is stupid.
The only "thing" they added was fail. Fail sprites. Fail music. Fail names.

The took the soul away from this game.

Side note: I meant to say "more then 2 words."
Thanks for catching that.
Mr. Fist said:
Bushlands............
Whut.

Seriously, what was wrong with Grasstown?
What else did they destroy?
(Other than Toroko)
Linknight said:
Well I'll leave this place to this.
I'm not buying Casualstory.
If you do I hope it's fun and you get your moneys worth.
They didn't destroy anything. The pc translation is unofficial, which is obvious with Earth instead of surface, Koron instead Colon, the Rabil/Ravil name confusion, frakking "Bloody Holy Land" (a disgustingly literal translation), and the mistranslation of the password.

Also Pixel has his hand in the facesets and sprites, plus everything is run by him for approval. You are practically insulting Pixel, something which I, as a Cave Story fan, disapprove of. If you still do not want to play it then that is no reason not to buy it and support Pixel, which is a very good reason to pay for an otherwise free game. You can always play it without the new graphics or sound if needs be.

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:55 AM
"Huzzah!"
That would be the only reason I'd get it. The only reason I would get it is to support Pixel.

Also: Can you play it with its original sprites? If so I'd probably buy it. I'd have no reason not to at that rate.
I understand you can disapprove of my opinion of hating those sprites, but I'm still sticking to my opinion. Get as offended as you want, but my opinion is my own. I. Hate. Those. Sprites. I'm not going to hate you if you don't though. You have a different look on things then I do.

Also you seem to know a lot about this so maybe you can answer me this.
Did they add anything? Is it just cavestory revamped or did they add anything?

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:01 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I just hate the Wii.
>_>
Anyone who wants to fight about that should drop a pallet of them on their foot before starting anything.
Ad hoc: If you do this, I'm not responsible for the broken foot or whatever injury/injuries comes from doing this.
Ad naseum: If you actually manage to find a pallet of Wiis...

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:21 AM
"Huzzah!"
I was dabbling around for sprites for my friends "gang garrison" HD mod and I came up with this sprite.

p46354-0-15rji91.gif

I editted it since then. Made the back more bulky and such. Fixed hat and yadda.
I know this Quotes color scheme isn't the same as the original Quote, but that's because Gang Garrison uses a more "white" skinned and "red" color pallet for clothing.
So I did that too.
Bias opinion, but I think this Quote looks better. Disagree if you must, but like I said my opinions are my own.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:26 AM
Yes, that Quote looks better, but what can you do? At least I don't think New Quote is ugly, so I'll be able to stand playing through the whole game looking at him. And yes, you can switch the graphics for the classic set.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:15 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Linknight said:
Can you play it with its original sprites?
Yes. You can switch between original and new graphics, as well as between original and new music/sound.

Linknight said:
Also you seem to know a lot about this so maybe you can answer me this.
Did they add anything? Is it just cavestory revamped or did they add anything?
They added an official English translation and DLC support.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:35 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Captain Fabulous said:
Maybe someone will make another Let's Play for the WiiWare version, though? So everyone can see it?
I'd watch it if there's no commentary.

andwhyisit said:
They didn't destroy anything. The pc translation is unofficial, which is obvious with Earth instead of surface, Koron instead Colon, the Rabil/Ravil name confusion, frakking "Bloody Holy Land" (a disgustingly literal translation), and the mistranslation of the password.
If there are errors, why doesn't someone make a fixed version?

A fixed Mac version would be nice too; I think there's one or two things that were missed in translation, at least.

Linknight said:
Also: Can you play it with its original sprites? If so I'd probably buy it. I'd have no reason not to at that rate.
You can even mix original sprites with new music, or original music with new sprites, if you want to.

Aug 18, 2009 at 7:52 AM
"..."
Heh heh...

new or old, like it or not, I know this game is going into my library of games to buy. I just got into the whole Cave story thing, and I love it, games such as these deserve to pay the creators with a 50-50 split of the profit :D

heh heh. Joined to say that, may end up sticking around...

Aug 18, 2009 at 8:57 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Linknight said:
I was dabbling around for sprites for my friends "gang garrison" HD mod and I came up with this sprite.

p46354-0-15rji91.gif

I editted it since then. Made the back more bulky and such. Fixed hat and yadda.
I know this Quotes color scheme isn't the same as the original Quote, but that's because Gang Garrison uses a more "white" skinned and "red" color pallet for clothing.

It fails to satisfy. It looks too detailed for the 8-bit/16-bit/whatever style you're trying to emulate: The shading going all over the place and the addition of the light reflecting off Quote's hair, elongating the upper curves of his hat make it feel like you skimped out on drawing something that would have been far more pleasing to view. And where did his cheeks go? Both the new and old Quote sprites got the shading and other minor details right.

Black hair does not look brown in the light, by the way. And why his hands are constantly balled in fists is a mystery to me.

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:35 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Aug 18, 2009 at 1:39 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Sick Bastard said:
Blah blah blah
Pretending to know what I'm talking about is fuuun

Seriously though you somehow managed to completely avoid mentioning everything that was actually technically wrong with the sprite. Being unhelpful is one thing but being wrong about it as well is pretty weak.

EDIT: Fuck.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:54 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
DoubleThink said:

Seriously though you somehow managed to completely avoid mentioning everything that was actually technically wrong with the sprite. Being unhelpful is one thing but being wrong about it as well is pretty weak.

When did this turn into a critique thread rather than just a place for folks to show their CS pics?
FAIL. You're talking about the FanArt thread...

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:07 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
DoubleThink said:

Let me clarify: I think that the amount of detail on his sprite is more befitting of a regular picture of Quote as opposed to a sprite.

Aug 18, 2009 at 7:08 PM
That would be a terrible regular picture. Also, you're not allowed to complain about it being too detailed. That's stupid. I can't tell if the resolution is low enough on that sprite to go into the new Cave Story, but if it is, it should, even though it won't.
Also, I don't like how Quote has a mouth now. Take that off his sprite and it would be perfect for me. That's an important detail that should be left out (stfu I'm not a hypocrite) because I think it gives him too much personality.

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:58 AM
Um.
Yeah. That.
So, like, what's up with Quote and Curly's arms? The right one looks like he's got nerve damage or a birth defect. And the left one looks weird but I can understand that, since he's supposed to be holding a gun, but the First Cave and Start Point are going to be awkward, not to mention the Blade. Maybe they have an actual sprite for the Blade now?

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:28 AM
no u.

My previous post still stands.
I hope they'll have a sprite for the Blade!

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:54 AM
WHAT. WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST QUOTE ACTUALLY HOLDING A BLADE WHILE HE HAS THE BLADE SELECTED?