Cave Story: Jenka's Nightmare

Jul 10, 2010 at 1:25 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Shilag said:
hat do you mean "the missile upgrade is supposed to be unobtainable without the booster"?
It's totally easy, and I thought it was intended, but you aren't supposed to do it.

Jul 10, 2010 at 1:27 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
thecrown said:
It's totally easy, and I thought it was intended, but you aren't supposed to do it.

Yeah.. that's what I noticed by getting my save messed up, trying to "fix it".. xD
Well, I'm doing it all over now, only at the Sand Zone so far. ;)
Sigh...

Edit: Alright, now I had finally got as far as I had before, and I thought I'd share some bugs I found.
I'm not sure if these have been discovered, but I'll go ahead anyway.

When you go back to Grasstown, after escaping the Labyrinth, if you gave Dr. Gero Hasumi's Lipstick, you can get another one by sleeping in the bed next to her yet again. I assume you're not meant to get another one. Nothing too serious, compared to the next bug.

After you go through Genesis: Spirit and fight Toroko, you end up in Genesis: Earth. I wanted to discover everything on that map before I went through any doors, so I went ahead and pulled out Balrog from the sand. Afterwards I entered the door above Balrog to the save point and the panel where you get the Focusing Lens, and naturally, I saved.

Then too late, I found out that if you enter the house after Balrog has smashed through the wall, the wall will be repaired, and yet Balrog will be nowhere to be found. As such, I had no way of leaving Genesis: Earth, and my save got ruined.

Now, this wasn't too terrible, since luckily I'm one to learn from my mistakes, so I saved a backup after I got out of the Labyrinth.
But this is clearly just a bug, and should be fixed as soon as possible, since it could easily ruin many saves quite easily.

Edit: I have another question. Will this mod ever be finished? How is it looking currently?
It's a shame if a mod as good as this gets abandoned, though I don't know whether it's being finished or not.

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:32 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
This mod hasn't been officially touched for years. I don't think it's going to be officially discontinued, but don't count on seeing a extension for a while.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:18 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
That's a real shame, it was really good so far, and showed a lot of promise for the rest of it too.

I also found a bunch of other bugs, but I guess there's no point in listing them right now, then.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:47 PM
If you want to list them, go ahead. Someone might make use of em

Jul 12, 2010 at 3:37 PM
"Huzzah!"
I think i'm in Jenkas nightmare, where theres a sand zonearea... and theres liek little dogs, treats and teleporters. And everything looks liek a dead end. I dotn get it.

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:33 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Miles_Valentine said:
I think i'm in Jenkas nightmare, where theres a sand zonearea... and theres liek little dogs, treats and teleporters. And everything looks liek a dead end. I dotn get it.

The search for post function is your best friend.

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:50 PM
"Huzzah!"
Ok so i found the solution in the thread. That puzzle is ridiculous >.>

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:25 PM
Pirate Member
Vercci said:
This mod hasn't been officially touched for years. I don't think it's going to be officially discontinued, but don't count on seeing a extension for a while.
idea: someone here could maybe fix up the bugs, at least? it wouldnt fix the fact that it's still not likely to be continued, but we could have more fun playing a bugless version, amirite? i would do it myself, but i'm not confident enough in my TSC skills yet.

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:32 PM
Metruler1990 said:
idea: someone here could maybe fix up the bugs, at least? it wouldnt fix the fact that it's still not likely to be continued, but we could have more fun playing a bugless version, amirite? i would do it myself, but i'm not confident enough in my TSC skills yet.

Yeah, that's a great idea. I would too, but I haven't even touched Cave Story in any way, so I'm probably not the best choice.. xD
I'll remember it though, if I ever learn, which I hope I will! :p

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:37 AM
Metruler1990 said:

I did that to sharpen up my TSC skills. It worked :3

Jul 13, 2010 at 6:38 AM
Pirate Member
well then maybe i'll work on that next time i feel like modding

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:00 AM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I actually passed the Sand Zone puzzle without a guide when I played this :p

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:08 AM
JetHawk95 said:
I actually passed the Sand Zone puzzle without a guide when I played this :D

You're not the only one. (:
I thought that was a really clever puzzle, and actually pretty logical. I mean you even get a few hints about it.
"Gaudi eat Mimiga.
Mimiga eat Flowers."
"Ah, but if the Flowers are red, the Gaudi and the Mimiga eat each other!"

Then to the left of Guadi, you get "A good puppy doesn't bark, but merely wags his tail."

It's the "Guadi and Mimiga eat each other" which helps the most, if you just take the time to read the signs and figure out what feeding the puppies does, which isn't too hard. Then it's pretty simple.

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:44 PM
"Huzzah!"
Shilag said:
You're not the only one. (:
I thought that was a really clever puzzle, and actually pretty logical. I mean you even get a few hints about it.
"Gaudi eat Mimiga.
Mimiga eat Flowers."
"Ah, but if the Flowers are red, the Gaudi and the Mimiga eat each other!"

Then to the left of Guadi, you get "A good puppy doesn't bark, but merely wags his tail."

It's the "Guadi and Mimiga eat each other" which helps the most, if you just take the time to read the signs and figure out what feeding the puppies does, which isn't too hard. Then it's pretty simple.

I read all of the clues, but i only recognised the part with dogs waggign thier tails as a clue. I thought i needed to treat the dogs after using thier teleporter if they didnt bark... I thought the rest of the "clues" were just philisophical musings of Cthulu. I did eventually start to think it may have significance, but i couldnt think what.

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:49 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Same here Miles. But eventually I had to go on the forums and ask the famous question "wat do".

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:34 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ok, I have this error...

doukutsu\jenka's nightmare\data\stage\PrtMimi.pbm,1
doukutsu\jenka's nightmare\data\stage\PrtWhite.pbm,1

And i just recieved the polar star, went through the door, blocked by polar star blocks. And then i recieve an error after entering said door. And then the program closes... can someone help me here?

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:40 PM
alterego1092 said:
Ok, I have this error...

And i just recieved the polar star, went through the door, blocked by polar star blocks. And then i recieve an error after entering said door. And then the program closes... can someone help me here?

Sounds like something is wrong with your game files or something.
Have you downloaded the lastest version available?

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:58 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
alterego1092 said:
Ok, I have this error...

I got the same problem.

I replaced those files in the mod with the original files, worked perfectly after that.

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:49 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thankyou Tau. Works A-OK now. I have been playing this game for about 3-4 hours. One question, after you beat Shadoe Barlog, you exit the building... whatever... the ground breaks, you fall... there is a chest on the left side towards the end... can you get that chest? I decided to stop trying to get it just because I was getting impatient.

If anyone if wondering, I'm at...

I need to make my way towards the revoultionary thing, trying to find the critter juice.