Cave Story GB Port

Apr 28, 2023 at 9:57 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Also, about the Core thing. I was thinking that maybe you could use the mini-Core sprite as the big core? Just an idea. Not only that, but if you do need help with spriting or anything at all, we're here in the thread to help you out.
I was thinking about that, but I ended up just using a downsized core sprite.
I haven't made the fight itself yet, but I have a mockup of it.

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:47 AM
Currently needing people experienced with GBStudio music creation (hUGEtracker or OpenMPT) to make a cover of the plantation theme.

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 4:52 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Interesting version of the first battle. I do question why the shaking makes Quote jump tho. Doesn't seem to affect the battle too much.

May 9, 2023 at 2:09 AM
Interesting version of the first battle. I do question why the shaking makes Quote jump tho. Doesn't seem to affect the battle too much.
I was mainly just testing out some GBStudio things, might remove it (or keep it depending on if I want to keep in that Easter Egg that I planned)

May 10, 2023 at 3:00 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Very cool! I attempted my own GB Studio port a couple years back, but I decided to cancel it because I couldn't create an exact 1:1 port of CS within GB Studio's limitations. I am excited to see what content you can create and adapt within GB Studio. I did import full-scale maps in my port though, like the First Cave and Mimiga Village. Will be sure to test the ROM on my GBC one day.

May 10, 2023 at 3:10 AM
Very cool! I attempted my own GB Studio port a couple years back, but I decided to cancel it because I couldn't create an exact 1:1 port of CS within GB Studio's limitations. I am excited to see what content you can create and adapt within GB Studio. I did import full-scale maps in my port though, like the First Cave and Mimiga Village. Will be sure to test the ROM on my GBC one day.
Oh, hey there!
I don't remember if it was your port, or Skittles' port that inspired me to make this, but nevertheless, I think it's cool that another person who attempted to make a CS GBStudio thing commented on here.
How did you manage to import the full scale maps into the game? I tried, and it said I was unable to import them due to the amount of unique tiles being too high for the GameBoy to process.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 9:59 PM
Currently thinking of downsizing some of the sprites to fit with the 8x8 style of the maps (unless I find a workaround for the tile limit.) What do you guys think of this?

Attachments

• Untitled2831_20230513155839.png
    Untitled2831_20230513155839.png
    868 bytes · Views: 9
May 14, 2023 at 4:54 AM
War criminal
I think those look fine, though the body seems to shift a bit during the walking animation, I don't know if it's intentional or not. Taking a much closer look (and a couple tweaks, though you're free to use your own you see fit), I think they suit the smaller game boy resolution just fine. Even if both sprite sets use the same dimensions :)
p378620-0-image.png

Jun 12, 2023 at 4:43 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
this is more of a beta demake in gameboy than a cave story gb port at this point ngl
pretty nice work so far though, i remember this thread did inspire me to attempt to recreate the title screen of cave story in gb studio a couple months ago actually, but it had seemed that there wasn't anything I could do to make button presses register only once until release so it kept cycling across new/load every frame

Jun 12, 2023 at 6:00 AM
this is more of a beta demake in gameboy than a cave story gb port at this point ngl
I have been thinking of redoing the maps to be more like the final game.
Thanks for your reply, and I am glad this thread has inspired you!

Aug 23, 2023 at 1:56 PM
UPDATE:
I haven’t been active on this thread (and site in general) because I have been working on other things. I have also been taking into consideration the things said earlier in the thread about cutting the game down to reduce the space used on the cartridge. I will be trying out all of your ideas, and I can’t wait for you all to see what I have planned!

Aug 24, 2023 at 3:30 AM
IMG_1812.jpeg
Visuals in the level here are placeholder, will make some unique graphics later

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:20 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
this is really cool!!!

Oct 2, 2023 at 2:01 PM
Someone suggested I try to get access to Maiden Abyss’s code to try finishing this game, but I am very sure that also uses a bit of Raichu’s code judging from the similarities.
UPDATE: I have gotten into contact with Maiden. They do not have the files, but recall Raichu using the code. They want me to notify them if I get the build from Raichu.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 12:22 AM
Stuff

Attachments

• IMG_3002.jpeg
    IMG_3002.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3001.jpeg
    IMG_3001.jpeg
    928.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2996.jpeg
    IMG_2996.jpeg
    763.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2997.jpeg
    IMG_2997.jpeg
    747.6 KB · Views: 1
Oct 24, 2023 at 12:33 AM
War criminal
Interesting to see layered sprites used for Quote, I wonder if select characters will have a similar treatment.

Oct 24, 2023 at 12:37 AM
Interesting to see layered sprites used for Quote, I wonder if select characters will have a similar treatment.
I’ve been thinking of using layered sprites for the major characters, but a friend has advised me not to do it as it may eat up cartridge space.