Cave Story "Enemy Rush"

Apr 23, 2008 at 9:33 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
It is, since that's how it happens right now. I think there's a flag triggered when you trade for the MG...

Apr 25, 2008 at 2:05 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Well if you didn't get the arms barrier he gives it to you, if you didn't get the snake he gives it to you, if you get the spur he gives you the Whimsical star... I should probably fix that so he just says he doesn't have anything for you.

You mean EC2 without the MG? It was designed with Booster 2.0 + Spur in mind actually. Everything is possible with good boosting and good timing.

Apr 27, 2008 at 6:30 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
JacobX891 said:
Ah, but what if you have the Booster 0.8? Pretty much screwing the player there.
Booster 2.0 is forced. Prof. Booster doesn't disappear if you talk to him in the Labyrinth. :p

May 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
I (almost) haven't forgot about this!

Right click, save target as: update numero three.

I've finished this up to the end of the Balcony. After that the final version (aside from bugfixes) will include Hell and "Home," which is what you can access after you beat the game once and will allow you to play each level individually or run through the entire game again. I'm planning on implementing a bunch of other stuff too if I can make it work.

May 31, 2008 at 4:02 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
>>Download Update 4, the 5th Release<<

@Jacob... Sounds like a good idea. :) I'll see if I can add it.

Ahhh, I completely forgot to put Balrog and Curly into Home, since I was too caught up in making everything else work. I'll add them next release.

Yeah yeah, I lied, this isn't the final version. I'm going to add a few more bonuses.

However, the mere act of adding "Home" has added a ton of replayability to this. What this includes:
-5 challenges, 1 is unlocked from the start, the other 4 must be unlocked by beating previous challenges.
-A level select room. This is unlocked by completing the full game speedrun.
-The old Critter Genocide room that was used as a placeholder while I was still working on the levels. It's still there, but you have to find it...
-Option to run the full game again, with or without the counter.

Oh yes, and not to mention Hell is in, too!

Also, anyone have any idea how to change which times in 290.rec will change the title screen character/music?

Jun 1, 2008 at 2:14 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Oookay screenshots from the update (omg double post lol).

Because of the absurdly low image limit I compiled a bunch of screenshots into an animation.

p33594-0-cserscreenmontage.gif

Jun 1, 2008 at 4:01 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Something's wrong when I try to extract the file. I asked a friend to try, and he got it, so do you think you can upload the new release to another place?

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:41 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Wheeeeeh? o_O That's funny. I just tested it and they're there for me.

Though there are a few early bugs that could be interfering with what happens when you complete the game... I oughta get a bugfixed version up.

Not sure if your old profile.dat would work, try starting a new game?

Anyway, the major addition in this update does come after beating Hell... so...

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:27 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
I got annoyed by an impossible jump in the First Cave.

Or, to be more precise, a jump that is impossible without losing a hit point.

When you have only 3 hit points, and there are no save points... and no health powerup afterwards... and no life capsule... ;)

The bit where you need to lose two hit points in the Point of No Return is annoying too, but at least you get them back immediately. The fact that moving just a hair to the right or left in the gauntlet leads to death is also annoying. But it was the "impossible" jump that I really hated.

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:27 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Celtic Minstrel said:
I got annoyed by an impossible jump in the First Cave.

Or, to be more precise, a jump that is impossible without losing a hit point.

When you have only 3 hit points, and there are no save points... and no health powerup afterwards... and no life capsule... ;)

The bit where you need to lose two hit points in the Point of No Return is annoying too, but at least you get them back immediately. The fact that moving just a hair to the right or left in the gauntlet leads to death is also annoying. But it was the "impossible" jump that I really hated.
I don't think I put anywhere where it's necessary to lose HP without a heart right afterwards... the only time where you've gotta take damage in the First Cave that I can think of would be falling on the critter at the very end, with the Presses. And there's a heart there. So I dunno what part you're talking about... could you take a screenshot?

Also omg this topic back from the dead.

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:09 PM
In front of a computer
I'll take a screenshot next time I play, I guess. (It's on a different computer.)

It may be just a jump like the one in the room where Booster falls, I suppose. I'm jumping from water, over two verticall bats, hitting the second one, and landing on a block in the water. When I didn't hit the bat, I would just fall into the water. It's just before the first pair of executioner blocks.

P.S. Is it necessary to get the Nikomaru timer?

EDIT:This is the place I was talking about, but I actually managed to do it without the boost from hitting something:
diph.php

Also, this is the most annoying place for a spike ever:
diph.php

Low ceiling! ;)
diph.php

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:38 PM
In front of a computer
As for the Point of No Return... it's really easy to die there. You need to be in the exact centre to avoid the Heavy Presses...
diph.php

and if you don't fall down the spike column immediately after hitting the bird, you are doomed because a) if you fall down anyway, you die and b) if you wait for the invulnerability to wear off so you can try again, you die down below because you need to hit another bird.
diph.php

B may be alleviated by adding another heart just before the death trap.

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:47 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
You definitely don't need to hit the bat to get across the water if you time it right. As for the horizontal presses, just hug one of the walls of the 1-tile hole and that'll cancel your momentum, and don't touch left or right again until you're at the bottom. For the spike gauntlet, wait till the bat is descending, and jump on it from above.

As for the spikes, well, that just takes skill. ;) Hey, it's not really unfair per se, and you only need to get past once.

Don't wanna make it too easy, eh?

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:58 PM
In front of a computer
Lyger said:
Hey, it's not really unfair per se, and you only need to get past once.
I already got past those spikes once. Then a critter killed me.

Still, I do think there should be a heart before the death trap (after the spike column) so that if you don't get it right the first time you hit the bat you have a second chance.

I never thought of hugging the wall just before the Heavy Presses...

Jul 28, 2008 at 9:25 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Celtic Minstrel said:
I already got past those spikes once. Then a critter killed me.

Still, I do think there should be a heart before the death trap (after the spike column) so that if you don't get it right the first time you hit the bat you have a second chance.

I never thought of hugging the wall just before the Heavy Presses...
It's not a long room and there's a savepoint at the beginning. ;)

Really, all that matters is hitting the first bat when it's at the bottom of its flight, and you'll be fine.

I suppose I hardly count but I did just try it and got past the First Cave on my second try. Didn't get hit by bats either time while crossing the water. On the part with the two presses followed by a spike, just tap the jump key and make sure to hold down left to check your momentum once you make it across; that's all there is to it.

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:08 AM
In front of a computer
You make it sound really easy...

Are there savepoints throughout the mod, or just the one at the beginning?

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:56 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Celtic Minstrel said:
You make it sound really easy...

Are there savepoints throughout the mod, or just the one at the beginning?
There are two in the Mimiga Village and after that, it depends on whether or not you keep the counter on; if you do, all the savepoints disappear until you finish a complete runthrough (should take 20-30 minutes). If you disable the counter there will be a savepoint at the end of large rooms, but not small ones.

This is actually all explained to you in the Mimiga Village, once you get there. ;)

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:19 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
From the sounds of it, Celtic will decapitate OD on an electric chair some time soon...

And btw I really forgot about this mod. When was the last update?

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:41 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Um... a while ago actually. I could probably leave it as is and call it done, to tell the truth... but I dunno.

Anyway currently it includes all levels up to Hell, plus an unlockable level select at the end, and five challenges. There was a bug in the challenges that I fixed but I don't remember if I uploaded that version.