Cave Story "Enemy Rush"

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:24 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Does it redirect you to this thread? Because that would be due to Freewebs' anti-hotlinking thing... you'll have to right-click (or ctrl-click) and select "save target as."

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:52 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Right-click > Save-as.

Anywho, I beat it. Played around in the last room for a good while P:

diph.php

OMGWTF

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:56 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
I know, it's so pointless, but somehow addicting ;)

What was your time to get to the end of Grasstown if you remember (out of curiousity)?

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:01 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I tried it, too, and altough I didn't get past Lyger's 6 minute record, I did finally empty the bonus level room of the Critters (That is, until I jumped...) Some of them were invincible at times, too... They'd get hurt, but they wouldn't die! Hopefully I'll get a video up, soon... Maybe in normal and fast forward versions, too...

A few bugs (Perhaps some of them intentional?) I noticed...

If you double ESC out of the game after saving before the timed area, all but the first 2 messages can be triggered again, though this really isn't too noticable, nor is it that annoying.

After getting the 1st Life Capsule in Egg Corridor, the music would switch back to the Graveyard tune.

When the walls are being removed in Egg Corridor, it would keep playing the sound effect over and over again... Not only that, if Quote sits around one of those particular places and a Critter/Behemoth overlaps his sprite, he would die almost instantly.

There's a spot in Grasstown near the 2nd Giant Jellyfish where you can accidentally get in the deathtrap spikes from where the presses are waiting.

No message box appears if you get the Missile Launcher in Grasstown instead of Egg Corridor.

Regardless, this is a very fun and challenging mod. Some of those messages when jumping over spikes in Mimiga Village were humerous at times, as well.

For example, the last message...
"This is it! You ready?"
No...
"Well TOO BAD!"

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:15 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Yeah, I'm going to see what I can do about the Grasstown missiles glitch... and see, this is what I get for testing this with my speakers off ;) I'll change the CMU value and stick in a DNP to remove the triggers once they're hit. I remember encountering something similar in Sand Zone...

Not sure what you mean about the Grasstown deathspikes thing, but that might be a map glitch, since Quote's interaction with some tiles can be weird sometimes if you don't place the proper tiles around them... the whole deathspikes/presses thing is meant to force you to get the fireball, since obviously you'd die if you attempted to get past with the Polar Star. I suppose the getting-hurt-invincibility thing -might- work, but... well, I dunno, what happens if a press falls on you while you've gotten the invincibility? I mean, if you don't take damage, what happens to your sprite? Bounced back? Bounced above the press? Overlapping it until the invincibility wears off? Gonna have to test that....

EDIT: Wait what? I never change the music in egg corridor...? Not even for the life capsule get. Wait a minute...

*goes to check missile launcher script*

Oh yes, and you got to experience my sometimes sadistic and rather corny sense of humor :p

The Critter invincibility thing is I believe because there are so many critters in one place that the missile launcher does a fraction of a point of damage to each, so nothing actually happens... at least that's my theory. Oddly enough, hitting them with a weapon like Fireball, Polar Star, MG, or Blade... anything that's not a missile launcher actually... gets rid of all the sprites on that spot.

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:42 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
now i feel silly for making that mistake, downloaded it now ;)

sakura-ep20-09.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:58 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Hokay, the music glitch was a leftover RMU from copypasta'ing the Life Capsule code (I KNOW LAZY ME) and I believe I've gotten rid of the extra sound effects. Getting missile launcher from Grasstown works now, also.

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:44 AM
Mar 19, 2008 at 2:08 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
You were actually pretty close to my time (6'50"something). You used a Basil-risky shortcut on Egg Corridor that actually hadn't crossed my mind (I use the second one you used, though) but you spent unnecessary time killing enemies, otherwise I believe you'd have beaten my time; as soon as it's clear enough for you to survive, just go! Oh yeah, and the long drop before the part with the star blocks column? It's possible to make that jump (the one where the first Basu appears) if you time it right and you'd save a good several seconds.

For Grasstown, you can get the first Kulala with your polar star while you're on the life capsule platform, and finish it off with the fireball if you're a good shot... one area on which I save some time is the corridor with the giant jellies all along the ceiling. I just shoot the first one to get it to follow me, and ignore it, and just go on (only the first and last drop Jelly Juices). You only need to switch the fans once, actually. By the time I've gotten the life capsule the Kulala has caught up, and I hit it with some fireballs and finish with the Polar Star.

For some reason, shooting downward tends to work on the "indestructible critters." Otherwise, just use a different weapon...

EDIT: and using some of your strategies in fact, I made it to 6'17"9. Told ya you would have beaten me ;)

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:33 AM
What really messed me up big time was getting stuck on those Behemoths in the deathtrap spikes... Lost about 10-15 seconds trying to jump off of them.

And I kept messing up that one jump you near the 1st Basu you mentioned. It would've helped me had I paid attention on where to jump at, but I didn't.

What was really disappointing was before this recorded run, I almost made it over to the door to "Pointless Fun", but I hit one too many Jellies on the way up... Gah!

(Normal Speed Critter blasting is now up... Whoops, I just noticed I put up "Mindless" in the video text instead of "Pointless"... Frick, forgive me for that!)

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:38 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
It's both mindless and pointless ;) So...

Yeah getting off of Behemoths is annoying (as evidenced by the YouTube video of someone playing SeriousFace's Cave Story Hard). Got stuck there several times too, myself. Just gotta be careful, I guess...

No Sand Zone screens yet because I think if I stopped to take too many screenshots, well, I'd be dead... but here's a screen from Sue's so you can see why (Photobucket resizing = blah... wasn't there a way to turn it off?)

The blue-bordered blocks explode.

The nonsolid blue borders turn into upwards currents which are technically supposed to prevent you from going into the tubes where the polish babies come from, but... you can get in there actually.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:10 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Do any of the enemies regenerate, or is there a limited number in each level?

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:51 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Reached Egg Corridor at about 3+, Grastown at about 5+. Then again, I just rushed all over the place grabbing materials and not bothering to kill any enemies unless they were in the way.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:21 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
5+ to finish Grasstown? Impressive. I'm down to 6'04"2...

Gonna try to get Sand Zone (which is very hectic) and first room of Labyrinth (which is very short) up today.

Considering the lack of save points and how long this is becoming, I'm seriously considering making the speed run optional... and including save points that disappear once the counter is equipped. Hmm...

Oh, and enemies don't regenerate... they only do that in "Pointless Fun" :p

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:57 PM
In front of a computer
Lyger said:
Considering the lack of save points and how long this is becoming, I'm seriously considering making the speed run optional... and including save points that disappear once the counter is equipped. Hmm...
I would support this decision. My preference would be to kill all enemies – I'm not really interesting in speed runs.

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:04 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Same here.

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:30 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Played through this just now, and I have to say, I like this idea very much. The level design and use of creatures is very intuitive indeed, without being painfully hard, although it can be a bit unforgiving at times. An untimed option with save points would be nice though, so that one could play through the game first and get to know where everything is and what to do before they attempt a run.
Sorry if that's not much detail yet, but I will post more thinkies as the mod continues.

Mar 21, 2008 at 7:28 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
>>Update<<

Once again I find myself uploading this more than once, in this case, three times... because I keep forgetting to get rid of the extra platform in the Mimiga village that lets me jump to any level to test it... the third time was just an enemy rearrangment.

So I've added Sand Zone, and two rooms of the Labyrinth, plus the Nikumaru Counter can now be optionally activated (you still have to get it though).

The music/sound/trigger bugs have been fixed, two arms trades (MG and Snake) are now available, the Blade is now available, as well as the Life Pot, Turbocharge, and Arms Barrier. And through my testing I have found that it is indeed possible to get past the presses puzzle on just the Polar Star, so now Fireball is mandatory to leave the room.

As for the feasibility of speed, well, I haven't done a full timed run myself yet (well I did, but it took 20 minutes because I forgot to implement the Arms Barrier... with it and level 3 MG I should have been able to do it in 15) but if you read the preceding parenthetical statement, it seems possible to do it in 15, and right after Labyrinth W and right before Monster Nest is... approx halfway through? What's after that? Nest, Waterway, Egg Corridor 2, Outer Wall, Plantation, Final Cave, very short room for Balcony, and Hell... ohhhh boy maybe not halfway through. I'll shorten the other levels then...

EDIT: 13'47"1 for entire thing up to end of Labyrinth room 2. Don't doubt at least a minute could be cut off that. Seems a resonable average speed.

Mar 21, 2008 at 7:37 PM
In front of a computer
Is the critter bonus level going to be available when the mod is complete?

Mar 21, 2008 at 7:47 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
If it's that much random fun, sure ;)

My plan is that once you've completed the game once, you lose all your items, the life capsules in all the levels disappear (or maybe only the ones you've already gotten... hmm, well we'll see) and you have the option to speed run any of the levels, try the entire thing again (assuming there's no <ML- command, it should be much easier :mad: ) and, I suppose, to commit random acts of merciless critter genocide.