Cave Story+ Beta Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2011 at 3:42 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I mentioned this in the bug report, but on a number of occasions I have been unable to quickly change directions midair. For instance, when I'm facing one direction while falling, and I press the arrow button in the opposite direction, sometimes it won't change my direction, even as I hold down that button. Admittedly, I don't do a ton of gaming on my PC, so I can't say with certainty that my arrow keys work perfectly in all other instances.

So if you can't find anything wrong with the code, and no one else has experienced this problem, I would imagine it's a problem on my end and not with the game. I figured, though, that with something I wasn't too sure about, it was better to bring it to your attention than to ignore it.

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:50 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Evan Balster said:
I've possibly fixed the bug which caused invulnerability to malfunction -- the start of a TSC event shuts it off, including those which don't halt the player. Hopefully this change doesn't cause any side effects, but I think having <KEY and <PRI stop it achieves the desired effect.

There are four instances in the game's original code when the playerInvincibilityTimer variable is set. The first is in the playerTakeDamage(int damageAmount) function, where it is set to 0x80 when damage is taken; obviously this isn't a problem. The second is in the runEvent(int eventNum) function, which causes it to be set to 0 any time an event is initiated. The third and fourth are located in the tscParser() function, where it is set to 0 by they KEY and PRI commands as you said.

So yeah, unless you've added something new that should just about do it. I'm guessing he did this because he thought it wouldn't be proper to have the player blinking invincible during a cutscene? It could also have had to do with the fact that the invincibility timer pauses whenever the PC is not visible (!(playerStateFlags & 0x80)) which is what <HMC does, so it could be that a cutscene triggered while blinking that involves the NPC actor quote would have you be blinking when it ended.

The redundancy of having it set to 0 by the start of a TSC event as well as <KEY and <PRI is interesting, since the only way to take damage and reset the timer during an event is spike tiles as far as I'm aware..

I had an inexplicable urge to explain that to everybody. I feel better now.

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:41 PM
I still have "Beta 5 is the Best Beta" on my title screen. Was Beta 6 actually released?

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:00 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It was. But my Steam copy hasn't updated either. I just realized I might have caused an undesired change to the content database...

Good catch.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
btw... does the 290 timer do anything for you in the regular game? I don't see any place where it saves your time or get any achievements for good times in hell. (Outside of doing hell in the challenge section).

Also unrelated, and far too late to be implmented... would be nice to have a timer going throughout your entire game; showing the total time per playthrough or achievements for speed running the entire game~

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:02 AM
"Huzzah!"
I've searched on steam, and I've found nothing. Is it released yet? I'm hearing people talking about it on here, so I'm confused

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:05 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It's in beta testing. That is testing that occurs before the final release to hopefully catch any bugs before it goes public.

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:28 AM
Been here way too long...
Yeah, everyone who is talking about it has been exclusively sent emails by mister Rodriguez.
And no, you won't be able to become a beta tester at this point -- it was all decided already.

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:41 AM
Am I the only one that was on the list that never got a code? I was kinda looking forward to helping out...

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:43 AM
Been here way too long...
I didn't get one either (and I believe I was first on the list), but I've decided that it really isn't that big a deal.

It would be funny if I still got credit though.

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:04 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Anyways SEBTi beat my time again (with 1'51"9) so I did a lot of practicing and I was able to get this time in wind fortress:

p139582-0-windfortress1479.png

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:54 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You people are insane.

In catering to this insanity, Tyrone and I are adding a last-minute achievement for completing the entire game under pretty much the most difficult conditions possible. (Bonus points for having a cat on your keyboard) Expect it in the release version.

Oh, and yeah, we dropped down the S time for Wind Fortress. to 2:00 Someone needs to do a video where they focus on fighting the curlies exclusively. :p

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:04 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Here is a video of me getting 1'48"4 (I don't know if I can do any faster again)

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:31 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
When I tried playing Cave Story+ today, it started updating. After a few seconds, I noticed this:
p139585-0-f3knm.png

When I tried to play the game, I came across this:
p139585-1-atsu8.png

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:35 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
DoubleThink said:
Should that be on Youtube before the game is released? D:

I was going to make it "unlisted" for now, but considering that I couldn't use the option and that Cave Story+ is already on the Mac, I think it's fine.

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:43 AM
inside is yello
"..."
ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
When I tried playing Cave Story+ today, it started updating. After a few seconds, I noticed this:
p139585-0-f3knm.png

p139585-1-atsu8.png

That's been happening to me since Beta 5.

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:55 AM
"Huzzah!"
This is just a random guess (since I didn't sign up for the beta testing) but I think it might be your computer version, or something not up-to-date on your computer.

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:56 PM
ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
p139585-1-atsu8.png

It's happening to me too, but it was kinda different. Yesterday the game started updating so I waited it to finish so I could check the new build, but at 95% it stopped and now I can't play it, I always get this message and the game never finishes updating.

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:26 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ah, uh, so the Beta is over now, I guess. After a big debugging run we've got something relatively final. I'll talk to Valve about this, though; it's happening to me too. D:

Thanks for testing, all! (And that Wind Fortress video is fine; you should know Tyrone's jaw dropped when he watched it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.