Cave Story 3DS Discussion

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:05 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: Cave Story 3DS Announced!

Actually, you are the person to judge. If the audience thinks something's off, the game won't sell. Therefore, the creators of the game must always have the audience in mind. If you think curly is a bit chunky, they must ALSO think curly is chunky, if you think miza is old, she IS old.

Such is the nature of capitalism.

Mar 23, 2011 at 2:13 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."

Xeno-Striker said:
The translation for the original was a FAN made translation, while the one for cavestory on the wii and now 3DS are the REAL translation as told my pixel him self.
Using the term "real" implies the other one is "fake", which is not true. I prefer the term "official" instead. Anyway, an official translation is not always better than a fan translation. Sometimes the official translation is better, of course. Sometimes the fan translation is better. I've seen both situations in manga, for example. And sometimes the two translations are of comparable quality. I think that is probably the case here, though I might change my opinion when I finally buy the game.

The "Huzzah" was probably a better choice than "Oh yeah", but the latter nevertheless works just fine.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
It's sorta a large case of They Changed It Now It Sucks, really.
Yeah, that's what I said.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Obviously, something's working here, or we wouldn't be having two remakes, let alone just one.
Wasn't there a DSi remake too? Technically just a port of the Wii, one, but still...

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:05 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Celtic Minstrel said:
Wasn't there a DSi remake too? Technically just a port of the Wii, one, but still...

I think it would be more correct to say the DSi version was basically a port of the PC version, since they kept the original music and sfx. They included easy/hard modes, but I don't remember if curly mode was there.

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:39 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Hope

I hope they don't make the music sound like a dyeing squirrel like in the last game.

DeadSquirrel0923.jpg

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:59 PM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Re: Hope

royaltyler said:
I hope they don't make the music sound like a dyeing squirrel like in the last game.

DeadSquirrel0923.jpg

They won't, because it didn't in the first place.

In my opinion, of course. I'm really looking forward to the new music, I just hope they improve how the songs loop. They looped quite bad in the Wii version. I also hope for a more fitting Last Battle. :J

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:03 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Ollie said:
They won't, because it didn't in the first place.

In my opinion, of course. I'm really looking forward to the new music, I just hope they improve how the songs loop. They looped quite bad in the Wii version. I also hope for a more fitting Last Battle. :J

Some of the Wii music was OK, but some were just simply awful and didn't follow the original songs in the slightest.
I didn't hear any problems in the loop, though.
As for the 3DS, I am also looking forward for the music! Does anyone know if they are including the originals, also?

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:28 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"

@Tpcool I hope they do, because I didn't really like some of the Wii remakes. I kind of just avoided all the new things, Tokoro looked too different...

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:43 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Celtic Minstrel said:
Using the term "real" implies the other one is "fake", which is not true. I prefer the term "official" instead. Anyway, an official translation is not always better than a fan translation. Sometimes the official translation is better, of course. Sometimes the fan translation is better. I've seen both situations in manga, for example. And sometimes the two translations are of comparable quality. I think that is probably the case here, though I might change my opinion when I finally buy the game.

The "Huzzah" was probably a better choice than "Oh yeah", but the latter nevertheless works just fine.
Both translations have their faults. The fan translation has some glaring errors and naming inconsistancies, while the official translation can feel slightly off at times in it's wording.

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:13 PM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"

Well, I did find out that on the wii, there was something to change it to original graphics and music, (there's good old headstrong whyme for you :toroko2:) but I really did not give it a fair chance.

I really do hope to see some great things with this new 3ds version. It's way too early to really say what I expect, but I do hope for it to impress me at the very least.

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:40 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"

I have actually created a youtube channel called Cave Story 3DS (the link is in my siggy) and I will be making a vid sometime in the future with news about cave story 3ds:pignon:.

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:45 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator

Cave Story said:
I have actually created a youtube channel called Cave Story 3DS (the link is in my siggy) and I will be making a vid sometime in the future with news about cave story 3ds:pignon:.

Very official looking :rolleyes:
I was looking through the channel comments, and it looks like you're considering a playthrough.
Do it.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:42 PM
Member Title
Mar 25, 2011 at 7:03 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

I imagine that you won't even see too much of the character's models as most of the game will probably be zoomed out quite a bit. If you compare the model with the original/wii sprites you see that both have large heads, small thin bodies etc., so I could imagine that the model'd look similar to the sprites when zoomed out enough. I guess you can compare it to DQ9 where only important characters had actual 3D models and unimportant NPCs only had sprites, but still looked 'the same' when the camera wasn't zoomed in.

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:50 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Apr 4, 2011 at 9:52 PM
Member Title

Tpcool said:
I thought it was going to be a lunch title...

That was in they stated in the trailer, but right afterwards it was clear that it would not be.

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:52 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Apr 4, 2011 at 9:55 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I no think blargo is a lunbox anyways.

Bah.
He never really did look like a bar of soap, though...

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:37 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."

andwhyisit said:
Both translations have their faults. The fan translation has some glaring errors and naming inconsistancies, while the official translation can feel slightly off at times in it's wording.
Exactly. Neither are perfect. :chin:

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:48 PM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"

I have no idea if this has been brought up before, but Game Maker 8.1 has just been released (*DROOL!*) so I don't have the time to read 15 pages.