Cave Story 2?

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:03 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
But the mystery behind the unexplained events concerning the game is a substantial part of the game's appeal! It's what gives people the freedom to make mods like KSS and JN!
I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I seriously couldn't care less about fan-mods compared to an official sequel/prequel. And having mysteries revealed by no means prevents people from making those mods anyway. They're still completely free to do so, and do their own take. Again, I point to the games mentioned in my previous post, many of which do have fan-made spinoffs.

And regardless, making a sequel/prequel that reveals the nature of those mysteries doesn't take away from the first game's appeal by any means. It's still a great game. On my first playthrough, I enjoyed the story, but didn't really give any of the mysteries that much thought at all. But I still seriously enjoyed the game, regardless. And if a sequel/prequel comes out, a player can still maintain that aura of mystery when they first play it, assuming they don't spoil it for themselves.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:36 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I made this thread for discussion on what may be the future of Cave Story. I mean, there has only been 3 game, 1 excluding the remixes. That's pretty disappointing,if you ask me. I mean, a sequel or prequel is expected for a successful game like this.

So what do you think?

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:58 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
It's been 8 years, no sequel, never expect one.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:18 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
It's totally possible. NICALiS hasn't really dismissed the idea of a sequel/ prequel, I don't think. Pixel doesn't seem to want to talk about it, and that's understandable. I also don't see another remake on the horizon, simply because I don't think there are any more consoles they could port it to.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Tpcool said:
It's totally possible. NICALiS hasn't really dismissed the idea of a sequel/ prequel, I don't think. Pixel doesn't seem to want to talk about it, and that's understandable. I also don't see another remake on the horizon, simply because I don't think there are any more consoles they could port it to.
iOS

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:27 AM
That would be stingy and awkward...

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Shiggydiggy said:
Tyrone and Pixel have said that they have no interest in porting to iOS because neither feels that Cave Story would work anywhere near as well on a touchscreen-only device.
Tpcool said:
I also don't see another remake on the horizon, simply because I don't think there are any more consoles they could port it to.
As for other platforms, there's still PSN and XBLA. Though Nicalis stated not long ago that had no immediate plans for either platform.

There's the WiiU, but considering that Tyrone had to cancel La-Mulana WiiWare's release outside of Japan because of virtually non-existent sales, I doubt he will be trying it again on the same DD platform that caused him such a loss for a console that is doing so poorly at the moment.

Nicalis is currently porting Guxt and Ikachan (or ported in the case of Ikachan), so there would be no cave story ports in the near future anyway.
Tpcool said:
It's totally possible. NICALiS hasn't really dismissed the idea of a sequel/ prequel, I don't think. Pixel doesn't seem to want to talk about it, and that's understandable.
Pixel has always made the games he wanted to make and continues to do so, rather than throwing sequels at the same franchise over and over like Capcom does. And hey, I commend him for it.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Interesting thread idea. It's been almost ten years, I doubt a sequel's coming up. Besides, Cave Story doesn't seem like it could have a proper sequel. Like andwhy said, Pixel doesn't roll like that.

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So from what I'm hearing, this series is pretty much dead?

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Yes, for a time being...

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Who knows, maybe pixel will make another awesome non-CS game that everyone will like.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 25, 2013 at 8:52 PM
I don't know, Pixel has said on some occasions when asked about prequels/sequels that he is some what interested, but honestly I prefer it being a singular game; it just works that way. It is better to not know and imagine than know everything, I like the idea that we no very little about the surface, the war, previous crown bearers, it adds a great deal of mystery and leaves it up to the player. Finally, I don't think it would be a good idea on Pixel's part even if the sequel was great people would still complain because it has such large shoes to fill and it can never fill them because the first Cave Story did what the next Cave Story could never do and that was basically earn respect for independent developers and make the indie game scene more known.

If there was a sequel I am sure it would be good but I'm Pixel has probably moved on and has other projects and ideas he wants to pursue.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Feb 25, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Professional Whatever
I don't think "interesting thread idea" is being polite
It's really just setting them up to make more repetitive/dumb threads

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:49 PM
"Huzzah!"
I guess I'm one of the few that would like Pixel to make a sequel or a prequel. I don't really care if he totally ruins any presuppositions I may have about the world/plot, because it would be the real deal. It's his world, his story. While it wouldn't be the same as the first, the first game would still remain, and the second would add new things; it would build on to the world a bit more, adding a new chapter to explore with new mysteries and new characters.

Anyway, I have seen him express a bit of interest in making another Cave Story game, but as others have said, we really don't know if it's going to happen or not. Whatever the case, if anyone really wants more Cave Story, just keep making mods or build your own fan game from the ground up using Game Maker 8.1, Game Maker Studio, or Construct 2. Those are all pretty quick and easy to use, and it's "possible" to duplicate the original Cave Story using any of those programs; they are more than capable of making a good Cave Story game.

By the end of the year, I should have a pretty well-defined 3D fan game of my own, unless I have another accident (I was very recently out of commission for almost 2 months, due to a work-related incident).

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
A prequel would be better. Cave Story's ending tied things off too neatly to allow for a convincing sequel, but this is not the case with Cave Story's backstory. But King's Story looks like it will fill that void of what I'd imagine a CS prequel to be, so I really don't mind either way. I'd prefer to see an indirect sequel/prequel from Pixel rather than a direct one, that way he isn't tied down too much by the story of the first game.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:01 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I completely agree with Andwhy on this one. The ending is perfect, no loose ends, it would feel out of place to add more after a perfectly written "The End", however, the game does hint at things like a mimiga/human/robot war. Curly and Quote were obviously different, it'd be cool to fight alongside an army or something, explain more to how we got here.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I think the general problem with the statement 'needs a sequel' is there's no decisiveness as to whether the person claiming it is claiming it on behalf of the game itself, or the story itself. The same could be said for every game for which someone has said 'needs a sequel'.

Final Fantasy 2 is a 'sequel' to Final Fantasy 1, between which none of the characters are the same, neither setting is the same, and neither plot is structured the same. Hell, for the most part not many enemies are the same since FF2 added many more than 1.

The closest term to including characters from the previous game would be 'direct sequel', which Cave Story (and many other games) really doesn't officially need, because the original wrapped things up perfectly fine. Ultimately I think most people want another Cave Story in the sense that it plays the same, but has new and unique weapons in a new and unique set of environments (Which I can only call a 'Gameplay Sequel'). Although I don't see how you can really DO that considering the major twists CS had were 'floating island' and 'psychopath priest wizard'.

Unless the new CS spans a large continent, a planet, or takes place in space, there isn't even much need for a gameplay sequel either. And I'm sure many people would just bitch that Quote is what made Cave Story Cave Story, so the entire idea is potentially scrapped in an instance.

Though my personal hope is that if they DO make a sequel, directly or by gameplay proxy, that they get a more competent English writer than whoever the fuck did Cave Story Wii/DS/+.

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Wait, Guxt is getting ported? To what?

Maybe I can finally get past the first level of that game XD