Cave Story 2?

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:22 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
DoubleThink said:

;)

I never played that mod before. I had assumed it was a prequel.
Perhaps I should try it out.

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:53 PM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Ignore Cave Story and focus on Ikachan.
Pixel is like a human version of Valve.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:21 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
He already said he will probably make a sequel. And no.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:41 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Japanese Gabe Newell?

Anyway, this thread is bad and you should feel bad. And I'm pretty sure he said no.

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:32 AM
"..."
Mixer8421 said:
I don't know anything abou any sequels.
Can U give me its name?
The name's [null]
But seriously, Pixel said he might make a sequel, since it's 10 years already.
But we never know Pixel's MIGHT (puns intended)
He's still working on a RPG though.

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:38 AM
inside is yello
"..."
Kwote said:
The name's [null]
But seriously, Pixel said he might make a sequel, since it's been 7 years already.
But we never know Pixel's MIGHT. (puns intended)
He's still working on a RPG though.

Fix'd, and many times before he's said no sequel.

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:42 AM
"..."
Well, maybe Noxid or someone will gather enough donation money and buy Cave Story's license.

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:53 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
WD said:
This thread is bad and you should feel bad.

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:54 AM
"..."
Captain Fabulous said:
This thread is bad and you-
Oh wait, I made this thread.
DISCUSSION CLOSED.

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:02 AM
inside is yello
"..."
Sorry, but threads don't work that way.

And even if they did, you'd end it with: [/THREAD].

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:24 AM
Been here way too long...
A Cave Story sequel would be the Worst Thing.
I am so not in favor of it you have no idea.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Professional Whatever
Okay, really?
I know that everyone loves the idea of pestering Pixel to make CSC2:HV, but it seems like such a terrible idea and I really don't know why people are so interested in it.
Cave Story is a great game, no one on this forum would disagree. But if a second game was made, what kind of story would there be? It would probably be something boring and too similar to the original, or some bullshit story that was an afterthought and plugged into the game quickly. Even if number two had a good story, it wouldn't be as good as the original, and our expectations would be slashed. I mean just look at The Matrix. The first movie was amazing, and the other two were pretty good in my opinion as well. But they still weren't near as good as the first, which seems to be why a lot of people dismiss them as junk.
Also, a lot of the Cave Story appeal comes from the mystery of the Island's inhabitants. The fact that not everything is explained causes you to think about the game for a long time, and you learn something new about the characters and story each time you play. A lot of people ask "what happens" or "what happened", and that is one of the reasons why a lot of people want a sequel, but it seems much better to interpret the events yourself than having the creator tell you the answer. You probably won't like what you hear - your own expectations might cause you to be disappointed if the answer is not what you expected.

Of course I might have flaws in my own logic or may just be spouting random gibberish. It wouldn't be the first time.

Anyway, discuss.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Based Member
If a second game was made, what kind of story would there be? It would probably be something boring and too similar to the original, or some bullshit story that was an afterthought and plugged into the game quickly. Even if number two had a good story, it wouldn't be as good as the original, and our expectations would be slashed.
I completely agree. Sequels work best when the original installment didn't make it blatantly obvious that all evil was eliminated or whatever. And the best ending doesn't do that, and I wouldn't count on an official sequel to be made on any ending other than the best one.

Off topic:
I mean just look at The Matrix. The first movie was amazing, and the other two were pretty good in my opinion as well. But they still weren't near as good as the first, which seems to be why a lot of people dismiss them as junk.
Horrible, horrible example, Doors. The second Matrix movie was even better than the first. There was like twice as much action, and it was just absolutely amazing. I agree the third one was the worst of the three despite being pretty good, but still, the second Matrix movie stands in my mind as one of the most perfectly executed sequels I've ever seen that all sequel makers should look on as an example on how to do an awesome sequel. Next time, if you're going to bring up a good point, then use a good example. Sheesh.

Also, a lot of the Cave Story appeal comes from the mystery of the Island's inhabitants. The fact that not everything is explained causes you to think about the game for a long time, and you learn something new about the characters and story each time you play. A lot of people ask "what happens" or "what happened", and that is one of the reasons why a lot of people want a sequel, but it seems much better to interpret the events yourself than having the creator tell you the answer. You probably won't like what you hear - your own expectations might cause you to be disappointed if the answer is not what you expected.
I agree.

I'm pretty sure there are rumors that there will, in fact, be a sequel. But I'm not sure. I personally don't want there to be a sequel. Partially because if there were, then it might contradict some ideas I have for some mods, and it would be a shame to halt production on them just because canonical information has been released that contradicts my expanded universe I have planned. And also because Cave Story isn't really that open for a sequel without being repetitive, in my opinion. The canonical realm of Cave Story is best left as it is, and I would be very surprised if Pixel were able to make another game as good or better than Cave Story. Not so much because I doubt he could if he put his heart and soul into like he did for the original Cave story, but because he's busy now raising a family, according to a certain interview I read. He was driven to make Cave Story because he wanted to make a game, and had more free time back then. And now I believe his desire was fulfilled once he released Cave Story. Not only that, but since he released it for free after all that hard work, he obviously wasn't doing it for profits. But now that he'd probably be working with NICALiS, his motive for making it would probably be more out of doing it for NICALiS and making money, as opposed to pure passion when he first made CS. In which case, the intent of developing it wouldn't be to make an awesome sequel and to make it as good as possible, but rather to make more money. And of course, there is the possibility that Pixel might have little to no involvement in the development of this Cave Story sequel, which would be a recipe for disaster. I hope there's never a Cave Story sequel.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:30 AM
Professional Whatever
Off topic:
Horrible, horrible example, Doors. The second Matrix movie was even better than the first. There was like twice as much action, and it was just absolutely amazing. I agree the third one was the worst of the three despite being pretty good, but still, the second Matrix movie stands in my mind as one of the most perfectly executed sequels I've ever seen that all sequel makers should look on as an example on how to do an awesome sequel. Next time, if you're going to bring up a good point, then use a good example. Sheesh.
Hey, that was just from my knowledge. Everyone I've talked to said they didn't like numbers two or three, and in my opinion I didn't think they were that bad. That's why I made that point >.>

Wow now that I look at it I didn't word that the way I wanted to. I didn't mean that the movies were bad, I meant they got bad reception (at least from my knowledge but whatever).

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:32 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Some points I agree with, some points I disagree with.

What I disagree with is the idea that a sequel should never ever be approached and that a sequel would diminish the value of the original or live in the shadow of the original. That thinking absolutely reeks of nostalgia glasses and reminds me of how so many people who grew up with Pokemon Red/Blue hate every other generation and say they could never be as good as the original games, despite the fact that the newer games have a ton of new features, excellent graphics and battle balance.

But, I agree that a sequel/prequel would be something that has to be handled very, very carefully and would have to be properly thought-out. I am 100% sure Pixel is aware of this, seeing how he answers questions of whether there will be a CS2 or not. He has made it pretty clear that if he was going to write a sequel, it would not follow the same characters or storyline, and that it would essentially be an entirely separate game. That's a pretty good way of handling it in a way because it doesn't disrupt/interfere with the canon of the original very much.

And HaydenStudios, I don't know what you're on about. So what if Pixel has a family. He's still developing games, isn't he? There's no reason why later down the track he won't think of working on a second Cave Story installment.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:12 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I think sequels work best when the original game/media is made with a sequel/prequel in mind. Otherwise the story/plot can start to get really messed up as writers try to keep the story moving.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:09 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Sure story is an important part of the game Doors, but that seems like your only reason for not wanting a sequel. I'm wondering what they would do to change the gameplay, as in how different it would be from the original. I'm also curious as to how many times NICALiS would rerelease it.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:34 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Sure story is an important part of the game Doors, but that seems like your only reason for not wanting a sequel. I'm wondering what they would do to change the gameplay, as in how different it would be from the original. I'm also curious as to how many times NICALiS would rerelease it.

The answer is a billion.

And we will buy it every time.

:hoppy: