Cave Story 2?

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
If I've been interpreting his BBS messages correctly, Pixel may be planning a Cave Story cartoon or something...he's interested in the idea, anyway.

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Apr 7, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well there's not much of a chance for a sequel or any ports in the near future. This is explained in my earlier post:
andwhyisit said:
Tyrone and Pixel have said that they have no interest in porting to iOS because neither feels that Cave Story would work anywhere near as well on a touchscreen-only device.As for other platforms, there's still PSN and XBLA. Though Nicalis stated not long ago that had no immediate plans for either platform.

There's the WiiU, but considering that Tyrone had to cancel La-Mulana WiiWare's release outside of Japan because of virtually non-existent sales, I doubt he will be trying it again on the same DD platform that caused him such a loss for a console that is doing so poorly at the moment.

Nicalis is currently porting Guxt and Ikachan (or ported in the case of Ikachan), so there would be no cave story ports in the near future anyway.Pixel has always made the games he wanted to make and continues to do so, rather than throwing sequels at the same franchise over and over like Capcom does. And hey, I commend him for it.

A new game set in the same universe but unrelated in every other respect might be possible but somewhat unlikely.

A manga, anime series or anime movie might be possible one day if some important guy in the industry says "this game is cool, lets adapt it" but that is also unlikely. Though I wouldn't wait for the English translation to buy it if such an anime or manga came out.

While Cave Story is a bit more mainstream these days it isn't so mainstream that it would cameo in titles such as Super Smash Bros.

And lets be honest, there won't be any merchandise for the exact same reason.

As for Pixel's games we have Gero Blaster and Rockfish in our future.

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Also now that I think about it, isn't Pixel way over 30 now?

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Based Member
WoodenRat said:
Also now that I think about it, isn't Pixel way over 30 now?
I believe that as of the posting of this post, he'll be turning 36 in 20 days.

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
andwhyisit said:
While Cave Story is a bit more mainstream these days it isn't so mainstream that it would cameo in titles such as Super Smash Bros.
No mainstream? No problem.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Cave Story is a finished project. That means no prequels, no sequels, no anything.
On the good side, this way the game would never be ruined like Sonic, Mario, Metal Gear, etc.
And most of the time, characters tend to degrade after they are reused over and over.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:10 AM
"Huzzah!"
What if, the reason Pixel is so late releasing Gero Blaster, is because he is working on another project? And, if so, he could be working on the sequel of Cave Story. Here's two reasons this could be true.

1. Pixel, in a interview 3 years ago, said that there was a very likely see a sequel.
link: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/cave-story-3d-3ds-and-cave-story-2-27578365/

2. This year is Cave Story's 10th anniversary. I doubt Pixel would forget about it. (I certainly hope not; Capcom totally forgot Megaman's 25th anniversary and that wasn't pretty)

What do you think, plausible or crazy?

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:23 AM
War criminal
Considering that Azarashi, KadoAI, and Glasses were released when Cave Story was still in production is could be plausible. But those were mini games. It would take much longer if Pixel were to be working on Gero Blaster and Cave Story 2 at the same time.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:26 AM
Professional Whatever
THERE WILL NEVER BE A CANON CAVE STORY 2.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:31 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I'd think more along the lines of another enhanced version of Cave Story, released on another platform; perhaps in the form of Cave Story HD, or Cave Story Anniversary Edition or something along the lines of those titles.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:33 AM
Professional Whatever
Okay that I wouldn't put past nicalis
It's a shitty idea but I can see them doing it

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:54 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
And to be honest I wouldn't be surprised either if we got about 20 CS2 mod threads in the year 2014 with the justification that "it's in 2014 and therefore my mod is the best one"
Oh wait...

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:55 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
3 words: Praying for plausible.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:55 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
cave story 2 will just never happen. even if there is, who would be the villain? quote did destroy the core, put a stop to the doctor, and killed ballos.

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:06 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
There is not and never will be an official Cave Story 2 and I'm content with plain Cave Story.

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:34 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I don't think Pixel would forget what anniversary this is, but I'd be happy with some artwork and maybe some improvements to the 482 official ports. :)

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:08 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
The answer is no and will always be no.

and I'm 99.9% sure that someone twisted pixels words to make him say "very likely".

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:07 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
There's never gonna be a Cave Story 2. Ever, ever ever EVER EVER EVER. Your hopes are nothing and this desire will end in despair. There is no reason to continue, the very concept of positivity has died along with Cave Story 2. Who did this? Maybe we did, maybe no one did. Maybe it was already dead all along and we all just didn't want to admit it. Maybe one day you'll understand, but in the meantime, we need to move on to the future.