The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Noxid said:
people right-click to paste?????

I'm gonna do you a favour and say "Learn to ctrl-c ctrl-v"

I can change the other thing though.
I found another bug.

Clicking when editing the tiles while the 'Mode' is under Fill, if you press Ctrl +Z it won't undo the fill. This is annoying if I fill an entire map because I have to manually erase it or leave the map without saving.

Can it be fixed?

EDIT- I now realize that "replace" fixes the fill mistake for the most part, but still.

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
The "Fill" tool is kinda crap in general, really. It seems to stop after doing only about 300 tiles or so? Either way it causes a lot of lag and the replace tool is indeed a lot faster and more reliable.

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
mm... it uses some pretty kludge-y recursive guesswork if I recall. I wouldn't be surprised if it does a bad job.
I'll revisit it.

I wish the current update could've been out sooner, but I've been holding off until I get the hacking tool done and I keep getting hung up on it > get discouraged > go do something more fun.
There are a fair few bugfixes ready and pending though.

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Noxid said:
mm... it uses some pretty kludge-y recursive guesswork if I recall. I wouldn't be surprised if it does a bad job.
I'll revisit it.

I wish the current update could've been out sooner, but I've been holding off until I get the hacking tool done and I keep getting hung up on it > get discouraged > go do something more fun.
There are a fair few bugfixes ready and pending though.
I know exactly how you feel. Hold off the hard stuff and do the fun things.

And just out of curiosity, what exactly is this hacking tool? Or as BL actually calls it, the "hackinator"

EDIT- Oh, and another thing.

This thread states that Boosters lab is in development and is not ready for use.

Shouldn't that be fixed because it's more stable then CE?

For some odd reason BL likes to delete my .pxa files. It's annoying as you know what having to re-assign the tile types over and over again.

Can it be fixed?

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:55 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I don't know why it would delete your PXA files
that's weird
I'll check it though

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Noxid said:
I don't know why it would delete your PXA files
that's weird
I'll check it though
It does is quite randomly... I don't know why, unless using OllyDbg and having the executable open at the same time has something to do with it. (I never actually have the executable open when I save mind you)

But it still doesn't explain the deletion of the file... and also not that it may or may not just reset the file instead of deleting it.

it did it again. I went and edited the PtrPens tiles and it reset the PtrMimi tiles ?!?

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Um...if I'm right, Bombchu, the Hackinator/Hacking Tool will apply assembly(?) hacks contained in .xml files to the executable. I'm not exactly sure how one would go about making the correct .xml file, but hey, I'm a lv 1 hacker so perhaps Noxid could explain better.

The hacking tool Noxid is currently working on, on the other hand, may be either a new feature that covers some other facet of hacking the Hex Patcher and the Hackinator don't already feature, or it could simply be Noxid referring to finishing the Hackinator - it does seem a bit Alpha-ish.

And since this is my first post in this topic, I guess I might as well come out and thank Noxid for making Booster's Lab. You did a good job of making it user-friendly...in fact, basically the only reason I managed to make my start in the modding field is because of it. Cave Editor's big, blank text boxes scared me, and there was no way I was going to use Sue's Workshop. Although I had a little trouble starting it up (apparently the computer I started it on didn't have Java) and picking an executable (apparently I'm an idiot that tried to open a map file), once I got started I found Booster's Lab very friendly and easy to use. The cats helped, too. :3

A few months and endless amounts of experience later, I've tried Cave Editor and know how to use it, but I still prefer Booster's Lab, which has carried me through from the very beginning. I only use Cave Editor at very rare intervals where I need to do something like edit a weapon or certain other values (or when I'm using a computer that doesn't have Java).

Inspirational rant aside, of course I have a feature request and two bugs to share with ya. I'm keeping out the very obvious missing features and bugs I'm sure you already know of.

Bugs

★On a Windows 7 computer at least, the left button in the Hex Patcher is filled with tons of gibberish. The right button looks perfectly normal. The Hex Patcher itself works great, but I was skittish enough when screwing around with hacking and pushing that button took a lot of courage.

I can give a screenshot if you'd like.

★Sometimes the script editor feature that highlights your text in red when it overflows doesn't work right. I can't really explain it or identify a cause, but of note is that the Iron Bond text from the vanilla game is highlighted despite the fact that, by all logic, it should work. A few other pieces of text have this problem, too, and of course there's no

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
...<FAC support.

Feature Requests

★Here's a minor one. When copying a section of map, would it be possible to bring it to another map/not have it disappear? This might help alot when copying maps or sections of it on the fly.

★It would be nice if the script editor took notice of <FAC commands and changed the limit to 27 for text after it until a <FAC0000 or a <MSG/<END command. However, I'm not sure of how feasible that is, so this isn't super high priority or anything.

★Why not a cat on the various subscreens? At least ASCII ones. There is absolutely no excuse for not taking advantage of all of that extra space for the glory of felines, sir.

★Could it be possible to add your own TSC descriptions and edit the existing ones? If you've hacked Cave Story to add or change TSC commands (such as <MIM or the assumed <TIMG), it would be nice to have an option to add commands and their required fields, which could make the script editor easier and more functional to use for hacked copies.

That's about it. Hope I help a bit. :D

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:56 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Polaris said:
Bugs
★On a Windows 7 computer at least, the left button in the Hex Patcher is filled with tons of gibberish. The right button looks perfectly normal. The Hex Patcher itself works great, but I was skittish enough when screwing around with hacking and pushing that button took a lot of courage.
I can give a screenshot if you'd like.
★Sometimes the script editor feature that highlights your text in red when it overflows doesn't work right. I can't really explain it or identify a cause, but of note is that the Iron Bond text from the vanilla game is highlighted despite the fact that, by all logic, it should work. A few other pieces of text have this problem, too, and of course there's no
...<FAC support.
Feature Requests
★Here's a minor one. When copying a section of map, would it be possible to bring it to another map/not have it disappear? This might help alot when copying maps or sections of it on the fly.
★It would be nice if the script editor took notice of <FAC commands and changed the limit to 27 for text after it until a <FAC0000 or a <MSG/<END command. However, I'm not sure of how feasible that is, so this isn't super high priority or anything.
★Why not a cat on the various subscreens? At least ASCII ones. There is absolutely no excuse for not taking advantage of all of that extra space for the glory of felines, sir.
★Could it be possible to add your own TSC descriptions and edit the existing ones? If you've hacked Cave Story to add or change TSC commands (such as <MIM or the assumed <TIMG), it would be nice to have an option to add commands and their required fields, which could make the script editor easier and more functional to use for hacked copies.
That's about it. Hope I help a bit. :D

- A by-product of testing out translation strings. Fixed in the latest release
- This is a bit due to how the game itself works, strings displayed with uh.. TUR or whatever, write all at once and aren't perfectly monospaced, so you can fit a few more. I can't determine what the optimal fit in these cases is.
- It's not something I can do easily. I might later have system clipboard support for the map editor, but no promises.
- Doesn't it?
p146684-0-epwce90.png
I don't think it clears with <FAC0000 but that's because I'm lazy and because it's not really easy to see what was before or after the current parsing token with the way I set up the lexer.
- :debug:
- Just edit tscList.txt or w/e the hell file it is that's included with the download. you can change any of those to tweak most aspects of the editor
Bombchu Link said:
I know exactly how you feel. Hold off the hard stuff and do the fun things.

And just out of curiosity, what exactly is this hacking tool? Or as BL actually calls it, the "hackinator"
EDIT- Oh, and another thing.

This thread states that Boosters lab is in development and is not ready for use.

Shouldn't that be fixed because it's more stable then CE?
For some odd reason BL likes to delete my .pxa files. It's annoying as you know what having to re-assign the tile types over and over again.
Can it be fixed?
maybe
I still couldn't figure out what's wrong with your PXA files.
I did fix the problem with the fill tool though.

I'm going to release a provisional update with all the bugfixes and new bugs to find, as well as the japanese translation. The hackinator / hacking tool is still unfinished but basically what it will be is a thing where you push some buttons and get a premade hack done to your executable. Anyway check the OP in a little while for the latest revision.

(I didn't test it)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 25, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Been here way too long...
<+ZarroTsu> hey nox, next booster lab update please make it so clicking in the map edit field but off the map doesn't just change the tile parallel to where the mouse is
<@Noxid> ok
<@Noxid> uh
<@Noxid> can you post that bc I won't remember

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
I *think* I found the cause of BL deleting my pxa. Files.

I'm working on multiple mods and every time I switch to the new exe and edit the tile solidity, it goes zonky on saving and deletes it.

Solution: Close BL when you done modding 1 mod.

[also not that the pxa error might not exist in 3.2.3 because of the error below I'm still using 2.5.1]

And also another error I found...

spoiler-ed for size:

Side by side, In game, and Editor view.
BLentityerror_zpsf7aac6cd.png

Expanding the map shows that...

BLerror2_zps8d33d483.png

So the entity's show up twice as large, twice as far down, and twice as twice as far to the right as they should be.

And If I was to nit-pick, Some of the entity info's framerects are off, such as the Gaudi's desk in the labyrinth.

also notice that it says in the top right corner of the screens Booster's Lab V0.3.2.2JP

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:01 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
As far as the entities thing goes I've had that fixed for weeks, and maybe I will upload it when I get home and nap
In the meantime and in case I forget you can add a file to your data folder in the newest version of bl with the following contents:
Code:
16 a
16 b
16 c
16 d
21 x
16 y
And call it "bl.ini" and that might solve your problem.

As for framerects I dont really want to touch them ever again but you are more than welcome to fix it and send it to me.

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:53 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Noxid said:
As for framerects I dont really want to touch them ever again but you are more than welcome to fix it and send it to me.

DONE!

It was like 20-30 entities total.

entityInfo.txt

You're welcome.

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Alright, I THINK this is stable ????
pls try 0330
changes fixes features galore, mostly ones you don't need!

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Whenever I try to open up a map, it just stays stuck there frozen and I have to use Task Manager to close it.

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Can you delete your log.* files, try it again, then post the log you get?
It appears to open maps alright for me.

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:10 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Well that's wwwweird
it's getting an error trying to fetch an image but it doesn't say which one or for what
what happens when
but I think I know
eclipse must've done a bad thing, i'll fix it tonight.

Ok I updated the downloads
please give it another shot