Bless You, Rip

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:16 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I really liked the demo and loved the soundtrack for this game. It's pretty impressive what you got so far, although there's a programming quirks you may want to look into. This isn't a glitch (not that I ran into any in the recent version) or anything game breaking, but it's something worth addressing. I'll add this as a spoiler tag to reduce space.

The combat system may need addressing. While it works fine there's one problem with it. Whenever you press the attack button, the hitbox for swinging the axe takes up the entire character, not the aforementioned object. As a result, if you are attacking yet the enemy is behind you, you'll take damage and still hit the enemy. Although this helps more than it hurts, especially during my play through because I was still getting used to the controls, this is a common trap that most programmers fall into. You may want edit the hit detection for the attacking animation.

Regardless of my complaint, I look forward to the next update. ;)

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:06 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
p-0-tumblrnmdh6mot7u1rjfwgto11280.png

Bless You, Rip Demo 0.110 released!

This update’s mainly just to bring the old demo up to speed with the new engine. There’s no new or revised story content in this release, but there are tweaks to the game play. And, of course, the switch to a resolution of 800x600 instead of 640x480 debuts in this demo, making the game less cramped. (Full details on what’s been changed this version can be seen here)

So go grab it here if you wanna see the new engine!

GBAura said:
This isn't a glitch (not that I ran into any in the recent version) or anything game breaking, but it's something worth addressing. I'll add this as a spoiler tag to reduce space.

The combat system may need addressing. While it works fine there's one problem with it. Whenever you press the attack button, the hitbox for swinging the axe takes up the entire character, not the aforementioned object. As a result, if you are attacking yet the enemy is behind you, you'll take damage and still hit the enemy. Although this helps more than it hurts, especially during my play through because I was still getting used to the controls, this is a common trap that most programmers fall into. You may want edit the hit detection for the attacking animation.
Yeah that's an issue we'll have to look into, thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Apr 12, 2015 at 3:06 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
p182503-0-tumblrnmo1sdpn4r1rjfwgto1400.gif

Showing off the ability for the engine to have multiple mirrored surfaces, and a more proper implementation than the old one. There’s 3 different mirrors in this gif alone.

The new mirror system was made specifically for this area, since this is the first place (and maybe the only place) where we'll need multiple mirrored surfaces.

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:06 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
that looks sick as fuck
good job gir you are going places

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:41 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
You know, you make the environments look so good in the game that I think RIP looks really dull in comparison. Almost as if the resolution of his sprites are smaller then the resolution of the background and objects.

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:59 PM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
BLink said:
You know, you make the environments look so good in the game that I think RIP looks really dull in comparison.
um
this is RIP's environments????
are you thinking of another game inferior to this one????

I'M JOKING

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:30 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Paths said:
um
this is RIP's environments????
are you thinking of another game inferior to this one????
He means Rip the character/his sprite.

This is a comment we've received before, since the detail in the backgrounds is certainly different from the flat colors of the sprites, but we figure it helps the player and objects stick out more.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:46 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Personally I like that visual effect.

However, using the shift key to run feels awkward when you need to run and jump. The space key would be better for running and the shift key would be better for interaction.

Also an addition to the tutorial about how item use actually works would be beneficial.

Otherwise amazing work. I can't wait for the new demo.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:28 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
andwhyisit said:
However, using the shift key to run feels awkward when you need to run and jump. The space key would be better for running and the shift key would be better for interaction.

Also an addition to the tutorial about how item use actually works would be beneficial.

Otherwise amazing work. I can't wait for the new demo.
FYI, key bindings can be changed via the Escape Menu, so I'm not too concerned with changing the default key bindings. Perhaps we should communicate that somewhere in-game though.

We're actually planning to "prune" the tutorial a bit, since it's very wordy and we think it might be over-explaining things a bit. But we're going to add a section where item use is mandatory/will be taught. (The main reason item use isn't in the current tutorial is because it wasn't actually implemented at the time of the tutorial's creation, oddly enough).

Thanks for your feedback!

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:16 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Shouldn't you update the thread title to match the new title of the game?

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:36 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
TinyCastleGuy said:
I played the demo and I don't have any suggestions, but I loved it! It has a lot of potential to be a great game. My favorite part is the variety of characters.
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Yinga said:
Shouldn't you update the thread title to match the new title of the game?
Oh right, I should do that now.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I played the old demo a while back but didn't post anything, but anyways I loved the demo. A few things though:

1.The graphics are inconsistent, for example: Most of the foreground looks like a painting, yet Rip himself is pixel art, and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O6CCmFAWIs&feature=youtu.be&t=35s the foreground of the boss arena is also pixel art. By the way, the sprites could use a bit more shading.

2.the old name was better

3.Why did you remove the guard action? It was actually useful.

Also is the controller support DirectInput or XInput? (or both?)

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:05 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I personally rather like that the backgrounds are soft while the characters are defined. Provides some really good contrast in a pleasing way. The new name is fine, as well!

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:56 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
liammillay said:
2.the old name was better
The name was changed to make it easier for search engines to find, thereby making it more accessible to a large audience

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:33 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
liammillay said:
3.Why did you remove the guard action? It was actually useful.

Also is the controller support DirectInput or XInput? (or both?)
We figured that having buttons to jump, attack, run, interact, AND guard was a bit much. Also, from watching people play the game we saw that the guard action was very rarely used, so we decided to just cut it.

The controller support is done with JInput, which uses system specific libraries depending on if you're on Windows, Mac, or Linux. I'm not sure if it uses DirectInput or XInput on the bottom layer for the Windows libraries.

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:50 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Yinga said:
The name was changed to make it easier for search engines to find, thereby making it more accessible to a large audience

The old name is still better though. And searching the new name on google, theres still stuff not related to the game within the first 3 results.
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
We figured that having buttons to jump, attack, run, interact, AND guard was a bit much. Also, from watching people play the game we saw that the guard action was very rarely used, so we decided to just cut it.
Can you atleast add it back in so its off by default but you can turn it on in options?

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:10 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
liammillay said:
The old name is still better though. And searching the new name on google, theres still stuff not related to the game within the first 3 results.

Can you atleast add it back in so its off by default but you can turn it on in options?
The new name isn't just because of google searchability, but it was definitely an influencing factor.

You'll have to convince me that the guard action is actually useful, since right now it's generally much more useful just to attack the enemies.

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:11 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
liammillay said:
That's because the game hasn't been released in many places. And the first thing I though wen I saw the name "Rip" was "R.I.P"? The new name clears things up a bit.

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:12 AM
War criminal
liammillay said:
Here's my results of searching "Bless you, rip" on Google, and I think it's dependent on the user who looks it up.

p182520-0-qrnunpu.png

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:29 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
TLincoln said:
I tried searching it and got the same results.

Wait a minute... that fourth one.. "God bless you Yams"... what? 895 retweets? Geez, yams sure are popular.