Beneath the Surface (Version 0.0.5)

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
So I guess it would probably be a good idea to give a warning then...

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:45 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
it wasn't that bad.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Perpetually out of it
Well...after a few months of re-scheduled development, our lead programmer who is in the hiring process, made a 20 second long demo. (Well at least 20 seconds long before it crashes)
Some screenshots of the only part of the demo I can take seriously.

EDIT: No longer thumbnails
p175602-0-cs2alpha1.png

p175520-0-cs2alphascreenshot.png
Quite literally, that's all that's functional in the demo right now.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Can we please banish the idea of attached thumbnails from everyone's head? It takes like ten seconds to upload to an image hosting site, and that way you can embed or link your image without people having to have a giant downloads folder filled with pictures that they'll only look at once in their lifetime.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I've been wishing andwhy would disable that feature for ages

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:43 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Saying "You're probably not going to finish." isn't destructive criticism or even disrespectful. It's a blunt statement of fact. Nobody in this thread has actively bashed the project. In fact, most people are supportive of it. But we also all understand the very real fact that the vast, vast majority of projects like this are abandoned. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. But we never tell people not to try. If you would please quote the exact posts in this thread telling Nadojin to stop trying, I'd really appreciate it, as I can't seem to find them.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:06 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I'm actually surprised… When Nadojin first posted the OP, I thought it was just another first-time modder (nothing wrong with someone trying to make a sequel, it's just been done countless times before and some are getting tired of it).

It wasn't until later that I got to see that there was an actual small team behind the project, that they were taking it with complete seriousness, and that they are willing to further research and theorize the given canon to reduce inconsistencies and possibly have a better-structured plot line.

Is it proof of following through? No, even the brightest start-ups have often failed.

It doesn't have to always be that way though.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:56 AM
Perpetually out of it
It's strange to see such conflicting opinions on the outcome of the project, and yet, even now, despite all the progress and support that has come through, I cannot guarantee this project to be a complete success.

I started on these forums ignorant, arrogant, and much too ambitious for my own good, but after lots of well-deserved criticism from people, it's dawned on me the scale of taking on something such as a sequel, or even a project pertaining to Cave Story. (All this criticism has also helped me in becoming a better person in general). I have my team as organized as I can make them, spending the spare time between work and school hours to work on a currently 30-page (and counting) document with all the discussion and ideas for my team to contribute to.

Perhaps Pixel really will make a Cave Story 2, or perhaps I will encounter a phase in life that steers me off course form progress, or maybe I might become a corrupt director, but I will earnestly try my hardest to make sure that this project will at least get a demo out by some point in the year.

Now where's that lead programmer headed off to...?

And EnlightenedOne, you really do live up to your name.

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:15 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Atsuki_Kimidori said:
got to this thread by Nadojin post on another forum, and wow, this is the dev board with the most negative and discouraging attitude I have ever saw, what up with that? I know you guy tired of mod or game that never get finished, but still, everyone have to start somewhere, even if someone abandon a project he/she will still learn something from it, and be honest, how many of you never abandon a project you've started? if this fail then he will learn something from it and might make e a successful game from what he learned, it never a waste, discouraging someone from even try is just wrong.

I have saw dev board with even more abandoned project than this, but they have a hard written rule: "Respect each other's work, You don't have to like a game made by someone. Though this doesn't grants you the right to bash it with ill commenting or badly written reviews. If you have nothing valuable to add in terms of constructive criticism and helping the author improve, you might as well stay away from the post button. We treat each other with respect."

also, MagicDoors, mind telling me where Game Maker suck? it used to be slow, but now with Game Maker Studio, GM game is compiled, not interpreted anymore, it probably one of the best 2D engine now.
Personally, I think that you have quite the negative & discouraging attitude yourself. :p but whatever.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Professional Whatever
Alright, I admit I may have a biased opinion, having used game maker a few version numbers ago and haven't been following since. However I have been speaking to my computer programmer father, and he agrees that unity is a better choice than game maker. It offers tools for publishing your games to a wider variety of platforms, and apparently it also uses c# language? Which is infinitely better than using GML as the industry uses C++ very commonly.

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:17 AM
Professional Whatever
Maybe I'm mistaken. This is mostly word of mouth.

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:33 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Nadojin and I have debated this for sometime, but I have a question for you guys.
Should Balrogs stripes be red?

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:34 AM
Professional Whatever
Blroga stripes should be neon green

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:53 AM
Been here way too long...
I think they should remain the same. It looks best that way.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:25 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
I think it depends on how significant Balrog is going to be. If he's somehow evil again, and is a recurring ridiculously easy boss, keep them as they are. If he's going to be an ally, then keep them as they are. If he's going to have a significantly challenging boss fight, and is being controlled by the red crystal or something, then make them red, so you know he's changed.

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I hope you can do it...
The only actually successful CS sequel mod that I know of was Jenka's Nightmare..
I hope this will be a good mod, that's all I can say. I believe in you.

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:31 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
Pyroaid said:
I hope you can do it...
The only actually successful CS sequel mod that I know of was Jenka's Nightmare..
I hope this will be a good mod, that's all I can say. I believe in you.
It's not a mod, it's a standalone game being made with GameMaker.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:48 AM
Perpetually out of it
Just a little test room, showcasing some new features and such.
*Please note that by new features I really mean some new particle effects and jump through platforms but really, that's about it.*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ8psu2xEn8&list=UUngm17w82rPIp41iuqdP_vg&feature=c4-overview

Footage and engine courtesy of Dmitriy Ryazanov.