Beneath the Surface (Version 0.0.5)

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:13 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
SableArc said:
yeah. I was told that by quite a bit of people.
My dragons are different OK?! its good to be unique! ^-^
Woah woah, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings now.

Everyone has a different perspective and we don't need to kill each other over it.

Any yes, uniqueness is very important if you want to stand out and get others attention.

(of course there is a right and wrong way to do this *cough* MS71story *cough*)

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
uh... thats not really how i meant it. it was really more of like... a joke?
yeahh...

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:14 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Dec 9, 2013 at 5:30 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Looking back, it's almost appalling to me how ridiculously "meh" my introduction to the project was.

Nadojin said:
Hey everyone, as my first thread, I'm going to revisit an old topic (that's been done to death) and try to, well make my own part of this topic. I'm developing a sequel to Cave Story.
*AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!*

Okay fine, I get it! Tons of people have done this before me, it's completely unoriginal, you have barely anything to showcase, blah, blah, Huzzah.
I've seen all the work people do here. Admittedly, at best the sequel mods people make are good. But that's the problem. They're just mods.
What I'm currently working on is a completely new, completely original sequel to Cave Story, made entirely from scratch.
I'm introducing new characters, a new setting (don't worry, it was in the first game), new items and weapons, a new engine, and new music.
The website link is right here:
http://projectcs2.blogspot.com/

It's not much so far, especially considering my budget is $0 and I'm the only one on the team actually working on this project, I can honestly say this project WILL take a long time. A very long time. But with enough support, (All I need is positive feedback) I can get this done. I'm not revealing anything here, but you can just check the website for any updates.
Anyway, thanks to anyone who checks this post, I really appreciate it!
And MrLog, I've mentioned this before, but just so I can remember better, the piano is just a bit too loud, and could be potentially replaced with a more chip-tune esque instrument to fit the theme better. Piano still works though. Gives it a peaceful night feeling. For the way it is right now, it's still a brilliant, atmospheric piece that suits the night time of the Surface perfectly. I'm practically addicted to listening to it.

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Been here way too long...
This seems to be very interesting!
Unfortunately, I can't help you all at all because I'm dumb at practically everything.

But just one suggestion: Could you pretty please make it in the resolution of the original Cave Story?

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Perpetually out of it
We considered that early in development, after seeing some negative reviews on the Wiiware and Steam versions. So, the game has a mode called "Classic Mode" where all the graphics resolution and music quality is from the original game. The main reason we wanted to update the visuals in the first place was to make this project stand out, and show innovation. (Although that'll still be hard in comparison to every other mod on this forum...)

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:36 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
oi nadojn. made that tread yet?
... you know what im talking 'bout

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:31 AM
Perpetually out of it
Please, don't bring that up. We need to push for

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

a demo

by Christmas after all. *wink, wink*
And nobody will have any idea what I'm jabbering about because I said something stupid again.

Don't get your hopes up though, at best we'll get out some video footage by then.
And for the record, in reference to everyone's doubts before, let me clarify: (I'm doing it again...saying something stupid...)
There are only two ways I could cancel this project that I can logically think of:
1. Pixel makes an actual CS2
2. My death.

And that's it.
(I'm going to regret typing all of that so much in the future, won't I?)

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:43 AM
クレー
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
No regrets until it all fails.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:08 AM
Perpetually out of it
*IF it all fails.
(Which judging from the cancellation rate, I would be surprised if it happens somehow)
*sees house surrounded by angry mob*
MY DEATH IS IMMINENT...
Nah, I'll just get some more progress done by then.

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:39 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
yeah, you're gonna regret that last post at some point. But meh, you said it now, so we have something to hold against you when/if it fails. ^_^

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Looking forward to it :D Playing through CS1 right now. Hope this one will be ready by the time I finish! :)

Looking forward to it :D Playing through CS1 right now. Hope this one will be ready by the time I finish! :)

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:47 AM
Perpetually out of it
Oh, believe me, I'll be lucky to get a playable demo out by the time anyone finishes Cave Story. (Shouldn't take too long to beat it, for me less than a day) My programming adviser and I are having...difficulties communicating right now. (ie: he's preaching that GameMaker sucks and I should use Unity instead) :koron:

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:58 AM
Professional Whatever
Gamemaker does suck and you should use unity instead

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:46 AM
クレー
But stick with the program you're most comfortable with, as long as there aren't as many bugs as many Game Maker games at least I've played before.

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:53 AM
Perpetually out of it
Legitimately, the only reason I have any faith in GameMaker at all is because these games exist:
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/
http://shaunspalding.co.uk/AnotherPerspective/
Both made in GameMaker.

Unity is tempting, but I don't want to have to learn an entirely new language for the sake of, well learning an entirely new language. (Yes, I know Unity uses multiple languages but I barely know any of them). It would be the fourth time I'd switch programming software. (Learned new languages twice, I don't even use either of them...) This game has migrated and restarted on different softwares so many times that I've only spend like 4 months coding this, considering the rest was spent either writing the script or migrating software.

So, yeah, I'll be stubborn here.
(I was actually going to switch to Unity until I read Tlincoln's post - how strange. Then again, I have a very easily manipulated mind so...)

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:25 AM
クレー
Now that you put that, switch to Unity.

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Perpetually out of it
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
EDIT: Warning! Blood and gore ahead. This is just a visual metaphor. Un-spolier at your own risk.

p175598-0-20120914120348explodinghead.gif