Beneath the Surface (Version 0.0.5)

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Oh, I get that a lot. I know. Excuse me for saying this, but Cave Story in itself isn't that big in terms of popularity compared to some other video game franchises. (Hence why it's an Indie game)
This project is just a small, insignificant part of the forums, a part of the Cave Story fanbase, which is a part of Indie games as a whole.

I'll admit, I'm mostly doing this project for myself, so that I have something to show when I apply for a college or job in the future.

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:30 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Nadojin said:
Oh, I get that a lot. I know. Excuse me for saying this, but Cave Story in itself isn't that big in terms of popularity compared to some other video game franchises. (Hence why it's an Indie game)
This project is just a small, insignificant part of the forums, a part of the Cave Story fanbase, which is a part of Indie games as a whole.

I'll admit, I'm mostly doing this project for myself, so that I have something to show when I apply for a college or job in the future.
It won't be much to show off for a collage exam unless it's like as good as WTF or K;SS just so you know.

Not trying to beat you down, it's just that 96% of all mods are abandoned at some point.

I've been there myself wanting to abandon my own mod, but that would let myself and everyone else down.

And I'm starting to let procrastination get the better of me.

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Perpetually out of it
Bombchu Link said:
It won't be much to show off for a collage exam unless it's like as good as WTF or K;SS just so you know.

Not trying to beat you down, it's just that 96% of all mods are abandoned at some point.

I've been there myself wanting to abandon my own mod, but that would let myself and everyone else down.

And I'm starting to let procrastination get the better of me.
Oh, so you're the creator of Sue's Story!
*Looks at bottom signature

Oh yeaaaaahh...
How did I not realize that...

And, I honestly think those two mods are the best of the best out there.
But what do you think of...Jenka's Nightmare?

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:24 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
no wE WERE SUPPOSED TO BE FINISHED WITH THAT NOOOOOO͍̦̯O̡͙̭̳O̹̠O̳̩͈̣̪̕ͅO̩̜͓̬̹͝O̭͖̠͉O̲̖͡ͅO͕͔̱̝O̗̪̱̗̮̪͚O͘O̠̭̪̱̹͉͠͠Ó͡҉̬̼̮Ǫ͏̘̟̲̯̟̼̺̲̦O̢҉̨̣̟̞̖ͅͅO̡͖͖̹͡O̶̻Ǫ̧͍̬̪͇͓̖͕ͅO͎̺̺̱͉̮̹O͏̰͍͓̠́͠O̩̖̗̩O̴̟̘̫̥̥͔̯͕͖̫͎̝͇͝͡͡Ơ̵̡̡̞̲͕̠̘͉͍̱̮̟O̧̧̳̣̬̼̻̕Ǫ̵̵̲̱̭̘̫̖͖͟͜O҉͏͎̳̹͖͔̲͚̱̜́O̵҉̱̙̙̞̠͕̩̫̞̫͔̖̣͔̮͍͈̯͠͡O̜̻̻̹̳̘̕͝͞͠O̴̷̷̷͎̥̳̟̻̙͎̣̩͓̹̙̘͎̦̻͕̹̻O̷̯̥̪͓̬͇̗͞O̧͓̭̬͉̲̦̘̠̱͈̮͡

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:28 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Nadojin said:
Oh, so you're the creator of Sue's Story!
*Looks at bottom signature

Oh yeaaaaahh...
How did I not realize that...

And, I honestly think those two mods are the best of the best out there.
But what do you think of...Jenka's Nightmare?
My reputation precedes me.

I haven't played JN much....

Like 20 min max.

E: what's wrong with Zarrot? He's nice.

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Perpetually out of it
Okkaaaay then...
Guess I won't bring up the topic anymore.

Shouldn't be long until I can get a screenshot though...
I'm also making adjustments to the script, which will ultimately take some time...
But my first priority is till the code. I think. Still, they all contribute to the development to the game in the end.

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:37 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Nadojin said:
MrLog, I'd be more than happy to welcome you as part of the team.
We've needed a Sound Director for so much time now, and have just basically been surviving off remixes for the time being.
But before I can hire you, I have a couple things to ask.

Are you familiar with the entire Cave Story soundtrack, and understand why it enhances the environments?
Next, are you fine with no income from this project, as it is an entirely no-profit project?
Finally, can you create completely original music, instead of remixes?

I look forward to your response.
I'm pretty much addicted to cave story's soundtrack, but I'm unsure as to why I haven't remixed any of those yet... I've actually just started doing some kind of remake of the main theme since I sent that first post...

as for composing, pretty much all of my stuff on soundcloud is composed by me. Only the ones with [remix] next to them aren't. I've got some stuff I should be posting on there soon, if you want to hear some more.

and yes, I read the thing on the blog about how this is entirely non-profit, it's just kinda something I want to do out of appreciation for cave story's soundtrack I guess...

but a question from me, what kind of style do you want the music to be? Electronic? Real instruments? Maybe even a mixture? I'm not quite as good with electronic music if that helps you come to an answer...

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Perpetually out of it
Great to hear.

In terms of actual credit, you'll be credited miles more than any of the other team members, considering all they do is criticize and edit. Do you, by any chance, have a way in which I can contact you directly? Like email, social media, etc.

And in regards to your last statement, I'd like to keep it close to the original cave Story, (atmospheric and catchy) that uses synthetic, almost similar to the Cave Story + (or Cave Story 3D) soundtrack. I don't particularly want anything "epic", (vocal choirs, metal, orchestral), or too distracting (techno beats, bass drop, etc.)
Although a mix of modern instruments with chiptune music is also a welcome option.

Everyone else on the team want the music to be dubstep but I personally don't think that suits Cave Story's theme well.

However, as I have to listen to my so-called 'advisers', they say that before I can be allowed to hire you, you must first "prove yourself worthy" by remixing any song from Cave Story. The style of music is the type I want for the game (see above), and any song in the game is fine.

Sorry for keeping you on hold for the job for so long, but our team needs to make sure we have someone we can rely on to make an amazing soundtrack.

Oh, and one more thing. for the 'job validation' music track, please send it to the email address:
projectcs2devteam@gmail.com

Thanks again for your dedication, and good luck.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:01 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
okay, thanks ^_^ I might have to download some more synths and stuff to suit your style... I'll see what I can do though.
as for the direct contact, I'm pretty sure this forum site has a messenger (which I haven't used yet) I'll try it out and see.

PS: dubstep would SERIOUSLY not work for cave story... just sayin'... o.O

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I approve. :orangebell:

Nov 24, 2013 at 4:07 AM
Perpetually out of it
Finally! Something I can showcase!
While it's not anything from the game, and my drawing skills are really questionable, here's some concept art art for one of the main villains in the game, General Nakamura Jiro!
p175552-0-generalsketch.png
Sorry about the strange proportioning guys, I'm not really good with that kind of stuff. Anyway, hope you guys like it!

Nov 24, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That's actually pretty good, very nice work.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Perpetually out of it
Ugh..a bunch of bugs have seemed to pop up in the game over night...it's take a while to fix all of them. In the mean time though, I need to adjust the presentation of the game to at least make it look different from the original game, considering this isn't a mod. So, I'll add more lighting, shading, and particle effects.
New update to blog coming soon by the way! (These are monthly updates.)

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Ah, yeah. gotta introduce myself.
Yo! nice ta meet y'all. I'm one of the guys on Nadojins team, and I am currently working as the Artist.
sooo... nice to meet you.
*shakes hands*

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:08 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
SableArc said:
Ah, yeah. gotta introduce myself.
Yo! nice ta meet y'all. I'm one of the guys on Nadojins team, and I am currently working as the Artist.
sooo... nice to meet you.
*shakes hands*
p175552-0-generalsketch.png

*shakes hand*

That is some excellent art man.

Welcome to the CSTSF.

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Perpetually out of it
*Awkwardly laughs*
Umm....yeah, about that...
That's...not his art. It's mine. In fact, when he saw it he told me it sucked, so that's why I was doubtful in the first place about it. His art is...well much more 'professional' if I can say it like that. He showcases all his art on the other post he recently started so...yeah.

His art is much better. It's on the "Project CS2 (Nadojin) Sketches" Thread or something like that.

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:39 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
*looks at thread*

Uhh, well I'm not trying to cause a war here, but your picture looks better imo.

I mean like...way better...