Before Story Beta 0.2.1!

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:54 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
How would you praise me when I have one of the shittiest mods on the entire face of Earth

Oct 26, 2014 at 3:31 AM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
New Version 0.9!
You have epical art as well, don't forget that!

Oct 26, 2014 at 3:45 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oct 26, 2014 at 7:49 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
I played this mod last night.

I don't think I ever will again.
It's...

Ugh.

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:38 PM
beep boop
I know it's bad now (the mod), but I know that I can pull this through. I have had an epiphany for a story line in the game, and I will be working on it until it is finished. I will not stop, nor will I ever wish to stop, the building of this mod. I will make sure that, when it comes time to were it is close to being finished, that it will hopefully be a great mod, in both story and game-play, so I leave you to think about this statement: A story that has unexplained answers will always have those who try to explain then, and this is what makes this a good thing. It shows that the human race is not an entertainment starved society, but a society that craves knowledge, be it from the real world, or a fictional world that they love deeply.

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:48 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
Bionicobot said:
I know it's bad now (the mod), but I know that I can pull this through. I have had an epiphany for a story line in the game, and I will be working on it until it is finished. I will not stop, nor will I ever wish to stop, the building of this mod. I will make sure that, when it comes time to were it is close to being finished, that it will hopefully be a great mod, in both story and game-play, so I leave you to think about this statement: A story that has unexplained answers will always have those who try to explain then, and this is what makes this a good thing. It shows that the human race is not an entertainment starved society, but a society that craves knowledge, be it from the real world, or a fictional world that they love deeply.
Okay so before doing that fix all the stuff broken right now, like the sprites.

Oct 26, 2014 at 6:34 PM
beep boop
What? What sprites? They all work for me...

Also working on making it mandatory to return to Santa, and also adding more story elements.

Edit:Done! Version 0.9.5 is out!

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:54 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Alright. This isn't bad.

There are a few strange things that I noticed.

The beginning is fixed and stuff doesn't look bad.
The only things I noticed are that
1. When telling santa about his dad, his conversation sprite thing changes into Toroko's.
2. The sword beam sprites don't flip when shooting to the left or shooting down.

I think that's actually all.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:00 PM
beep boop
I noted the glitch with the sword, and will have to ASM to fix, which isn't an option anymore, so I will eventually resprite that.
The toroko thing is because they are placeholders for the santa face.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM
2dbro
Oh so you need new emotes for Santa? PM me and I'll fix you some up in a jiffy.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:07 PM
beep boop
Thanks! I also will be working on a miakid sprite, anyone know were I can get some references? (Note that Miakid will be the final boss, in the first part, oh god why am I revealing this to the public. I'm such a retard. so he will be a resprite of the doctor.)

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:10 PM
2dbro
I found a bug; after finding the platinum sword chest, the chest doesn't turn into an opened chest and lets you keep doing the script. Use <DNP(Script) to delete the chest script and replace the entity with an opened chest.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:11 PM
scrungy
Oct 26, 2014 at 9:13 PM
beep boop
Ok, will do that right now.

EDIT: Done! :mahin:

Edit 2: 2DBros' fabulous work. (Balling face edited so it looks like he has a lower jaw. It really bugged me. Other than that, EPIC!)

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1309]

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM
2dbro
Bawling*

EDIT: oh boy fabuliss artwork I'm so famousz

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:07 PM
beep boop
I'm horrible at righting wurds, thut es e fact. Also, now I will work on Hatty's special quest!

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:08 PM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
So I played some of the most recent version of your mod, and I gotta say? Alot of other poster's complaints aren't unfounded. There are a large numbers of issues with it that make it an almost completely unfun experience.

But you have the drive to improve, and these issues are fixable. And after alot of work, this could become something great. But there are many issues that need to be ironed out first. Under this spoiler are many issues I noticed, that I'm merely pointing out in order to help you fix them. I haven't played the entirety of the demo yet, as I stop right after the final image, but this should help you adjust the mod accordingly. Whether or not you choose to take my advice is up to you, but I believe it'll definitely improve the experience.

My advice (WARNING: LOTSA IMAGES)
p189159-0-4youvhp.png

The title screen features the original Cave Story title, except in the color purple? Not a particularly appealing shade of purple, either. Eventually I would adjust it to fit the name "Before Story", but the more pressing matter is the color...

...ironically, White seems like the best choice, even though that's what it was previously.

p189159-1-2s0bxmn.png

Gaps in between periods look awkward.

p189159-2-ibmgz70.png

Santa is an obviously modified toroko, which is fine, except that he looks very strange. Also, in speech, repeated exclamation points should not be used for extra emphasis. Tone it down to one.

p189159-3-tywd2zo.png

The face pic vanished.

p189159-4-bwtnzoj.png

The color scheme for the enemies makes them difficult to spot among the tall grass, and the color scheme for the health and other related Hud elements isn't particularly pleasing either. I'd suggest not having the colors be so...colorful. For most of the hud elements anyway. The borders and numbers would be better suited with greys and whites, while the purple and other colors can remain inside the boxes themselves.

p189159-5-1hacisw.png

This is actually really smart. It's clear that the player will need to return here later with a different item. Good level design.

p189159-6-14jfral.png

It's ruined moments later by this. Letting the bats hurt you by jumping into them lets you get up there and get the blade without the booster, and by extension, skip the entire grasstown area.

p189159-7-jueafed.png

The textbox appears before the word "Gum" even has a chance to go away...and it shouldn't have even appeared before the text box, should it?

p189159-8-osanoz7.png

*Equipped.

p189159-9-nvncsnp.png

The sprite for the sword looks strange...and why is it made of platinum? Good job converting the PolarStar into the sword, though.

Also, the chest can be re-used infinitely. Not good.

p189159-10-skuzinb.png

Is this chest set to dissapear with skipflags? I died and came back, and it didn't appear. When I restarted the .exe, however, it re-appeared.

p189159-11-rc9p1oa.png

The game tells us to go tell Santa the bad news, but this is the only thing we get for doing so. Aside from the blatant toroko sprite usage, this is just flat out useless. You don't get an item that lets you progress or any reward for telling him, just this single text box.

Personally, I'd have Santa give you a key to the room where you get the sword; that way returning here wouldn't be totally pointless, and it'd be necessary to progress.

p189159-12-rirl4ol.png

This text box doesn't have enough <NOD commands, making it impossible to read.

Anyway, that's all I've played, and all I've noticed, really. But if you're willing to make an effort to change these things, this mod can become good. Don't let others turn you away from modding as a whole with negativity; we've all released something less than stellar before. Just keep at it, and get better and better as a result. I atleast hope my post was informative, and gave you an idea of some of the changes you need to make. It's not quite as informative as I'd have liked it to be, but I made it quickly; I'll make a more in depth review of things that should be changed a few versions after this one, probably.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:30 PM
2dbro
inb4 people ask why do i contribute to helping this guy

inb4 i answer

I feel that I should do something. TLincoln and Kayya were both kind enough to help me in my newbie stages, and so I feel like I should help Bionic too. I can't really make long paragraphs that are enjoyable, but meh. I answered.

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:39 AM
beep boop
I thank you for the info, and guess what? Alpha Version 0.1.0 is here! Game now includes challenges, which are fourth wall breakes about society, the game being a game, and the forum!